• Advertisement

Busways : Taree - Broadmeadow

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion

Busways : Taree - Broadmeadow

Postby Newcastle Flyer » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:33 pm

https://stephenbromhead.com.au/2019/09/ ... le-service

BUSWAYS DISAPPOINTS PASSENGERS ON FORSTER TO NEWCASTLE SERVICE

Member for Myall Lakes Stephen Bromhead has today called on Minister for Regional Transport, Paul Toole to remove busways as the operator of the Forster to Newcastle Service.

Mr Bromhead said after repeated assurances from Busways to deliver a coach service on the route it is clear by their actions that they are unable to deliver the level of service both my community and the Government expect.

“I have asked the Minister to review the Busways contract and introduce a NSW TrainLink Regional Coach onto this important route,” Mr Bromhead said.

Busways have reduced this service from a full coach service, for which we are paying for, to a bus service which includes a 3 ½ hour trip from Taree to Broadmeadow, with little or no luggage storage, no on board restroom facilities and no seat belts.

After previous representations to the Minister, Mr Bromhead booked and travelled on the service to experience first-hand what was being provided. On this trip Busways had reintroduced the full coach service.

Shortly after, I received information from my constituents that Busways had re-introduced the standard bus to the route yet again, when questioned Busways advised that the coach service was temporarily suspended while they serviced the air conditioning on the bus.

“A number of weeks later we still find that the standard bus is still being used despite the government paying for a full coach service, as required through the NSW TrainLink contract,” Mr Bromhead said.

“This is an important route which is utilised by many older residents who are visiting Newcastle for medical appointments, family or connecting to a Sydney Train service, the current bus is substandard and we deserve better,” Mr Bromhead concluded.
Newcastle Flyer

Re: Private Observations 2019

Postby Newcastle Flyer » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:51 pm

While posting this, I notice that the NSW TrainLink Broadmeadow to Taree & v.v. has been discontinued. When did that happen?

I note there is a now a Forster to Coff's Harbour NSW TrainLink coach instead.
My signature is on holidays
Newcastle Flyer

Postby Fleet Lists » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:16 pm

Broadmeadow - Taree -These services are still operating
https://transportnsw.info/routes/detail ... /135/76135
https://transportnsw.info/routes/detail ... /136/76136
As from last week these now link to the North Coast regional booklet where the details of these routes are included.

And Busways has this timetable, in which to confuse things they are called routes 150 and 151 https://www.busways.com.au/sites/defaul ... 0Taree.pdf

I dont know why you are saying that they are no longer operating.

PS the Foster to Coffs Harbour service is one a totally different one which is on trial hence it was not included in the booklet at this stage.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Busways : Taree - Broadmeadow

Postby Fleet Lists » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:35 pm

Combined into the one thread.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Fleet Lists » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:38 pm

I have always been a bit confuesd as to whether NSW Translink routes 135 and 136 are the same as the ones called 150 and 151 in the Busways timetable - I notice that both routes are used in the trip finder at different times. I dont have time just now to compare the two lots of timetables.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Newcastle Flyer » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:13 am

Fleet Lists wrote:Broadmeadow - Taree -These services are still operating

I dont know why you are saying that they are no longer operating.

I forget to add "via Forster". The Broadmeadow <-> Taree via Forster coach is operating, but the TrainLink coaches that use to go VIA Forster have been cancelled.
My signature is on holidays
Newcastle Flyer

Postby Fleet Lists » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:42 am

Well that certainly changes the question and also the answer.
I have no record of when the 135 and 136 last operated via Forster - If only I still had some of historic timetables. But I believe it has been some time.

However the 150 and 151 do operate via Forster and this must be the service which the Forster residents are complaining about but the question there is whether these are NSW Trainlink services or not. I suspect they are not as they are not included in the NSW Trainlink timetables
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Bovways » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:50 am

Fleet Lists wrote:However the 150 and 151 do operate via Forster and this must be the service which the Forster residents are complaining about but the question there is whether these are NSW Trainlink services or not. I suspect they are not as they are not included in the NSW Trainlink timetables

It is the Busways service. Some seats on the trips advertised in the TrainLink timetable are bookable through (and funded by) TrainLink. For example, the 6:42am ex-Taree route 130 (TrainLink) and route 150 (Busways) are the same trip.
That has been the way it has operated for at least a decade. It's unique in being both a route service AND a TrainLink service.

Cheers,
C :)
Bovways

Postby Fleet Lists » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:51 pm

Thanks - that is pretty much what I thought except the 6.42 is a 151 service and not a 150 - that is where some of the confusion arose. So Newcastle Flyer was wrong again. The 151 version of the NSW TrainLink Broadmeadow to Taree is still operating.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Fleet Lists » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:09 pm

Of course things can get a bit more muddy.
Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSW_Train ... h_services (supported by the contracts reference) shows that Broadmeadow - Taree has been operated by Port Stephens Coaches since 1 January 2015. It must be assumed that this refers to services 135 and 136 which do NOT operate via Forster. Transport Info shows links for these routes in their coach list and these link since last week to the North Coast booklet.

Busways are only listed as operating Port Macquarie to Wauchope which is listed in Transport for NSW as services 181 and 182 and link to the North Coast booklet since last week.

So what are the services via Forster? They are obviously operated by Busways but not listed in the contracts. There are routes 150 and 151 which have slight variations with two departures on weekdays from each direction on route 150 and one on route 151. Busways has issued their own timetable for these routes as did Great Lakes Coaches before them. In Transport Info these routes are listed for timetable purposes as normal bus routes and not NSW Trainlink services. But the North Coast booklet contains the following: Route 150 from Taree as services 132 and 134 and from Broadmeadow as services 131 and 133 while the 151 departure from Taree is shown as service 130 but I can not find any reference to the 151 departure from Broadmeadow in the North Coast booklet.
The trip finder seems to use the Busways numbers and when used do not show the normal Trainlink Coaches restrictions such as booking requirements etc.

No wonder people are confused about this.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Fleet Lists » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:24 pm

The response from Transport for NSW is that the services via Forster are NOT NSW Trainlink coach services but private services operated by Busways on which NSW Trainlink purchases seats as required.

So even in the opening post of this thread where its states "Member for Myall Lakes Stephen Bromhead has today called on Minister for Regional Transport, Paul Toole to remove busways as the operator of the Forster to Newcastle Service" is not as easy as it sounds as Busways are not contracted to NSW Trainlink to operate this service.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Fleet Lists » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:50 pm

I have also found the missing 151 departure from Broadmeadow in the North Coast Booklet but instead of showing a daily departure it shows it as M-F and departing at a different time hence I had missed it before. NSW Transport has been advised.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Fleet Lists » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:49 am

https://stephenbromhead.com.au/2019/09/ ... oadmeadow/

NEW COACHES FOR FORSTER TO BROADMEADOW
The NSW Government is delivering new coaches for the Forster to Broadmeadow coach service, which will provide greater comfort and reliability for local commuters.

Member for Myall Lakes Stephen Bromhead said the change would see the current coaches removed from service.

“This is a great win for the local community as we deliver consistency and reliability for passengers who use this service,” Mr Bromhead.

“I am pleased to work with Busways as they continue to deliver this popular service.”

Minister for Regional Transport and Roads Paul Toole said semi-coaches would service the route until the new coach came into service.

“Busways is currently commissioning the new coaches, which will be built to be accessible, and will include comfortable seats, seatbelts, luggage storage and a toilet,” Mr Toole said.

“In the interim, the semi-coach strikes the right balance for the local community with seatbelts, comfortable seats and a luggage compartment under the cabin.

“While toilet facilities are unavailable on the semi-coach, the route will continue to include a stop for the comfort of passengers.”

Busways Managing Director Byron Rowe said the new coaches will provide a better, more comfortable service to local customers.

“Busways is always happy to listen to local communities and work with the NSW Government to deliver positive solutions for regional transport. We look forward to operating the new coaches when they come into service next year.”

The semi-coaches will commence in the coming weeks, with the new coaches expected to be in service by mid-2020.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Fleet Lists » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:54 am

And more from Transport for NSW.

1) NSWTL has an agreement for 5 of the 6 services Busways operate which connect with train services.
2) Services 135 and 136 are NSW TrainlInk Timetabled services and are completely separate from the 151/152 Transport service.

Hence the reason why the sixth one is not listed in the North Coasat booklet - all very confusing.

I still need to go back and see whether all trips now agree.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Sydney / NSW