kypros1992

Re: Eastern Suburbs Railway Documentary - 1979

Post by kypros1992 »

Some stills from the film
Image]

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

In a month or so it'll be the 72nd anniversary of when construction started. It took only 32 years to build. It was supposed to be ready in time to "replace" the trams, though the government of the time had no intention of fulfilling that.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"

captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

to all those people who in the last state election it was labour and neville wran and transport minister cox who 40 years ago today 23 of june finished and opened the E.S.R. plus gave us 100s of merc buses/ new ferrys/ double decker trains and the XPT TRAINS so I think labour did a lot for public transport ............plus brought in the pensioner $1.00 all day ticket how little some people forget

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Though one has to say that it was the Askin Liberal government that started the ESR on the road to completion after 24 years of stop-start dithering by the previous Labor governments. Wran only completed what the Liberals started. Those other achievements of the Wran government are legitimate to acknowledge of course.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"

STMPainter2018

Post by STMPainter2018 »

The documentary was a very fascinating watch, but the one thing that stood out for me was seeing how much uglier the stations were upon opening compared to now. Seriously did the 70's have any taste? WOOF! Yeah late 70's modernism is not my aesthetic...

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

STMPainter2018 wrote:The documentary was a very fascinating watch, but the one thing that stood out for me was seeing how much uglier the stations were upon opening compared to now. Seriously did the 70's have any taste? WOOF! Yeah late 70's modernism is not my aesthetic...
ESR station designs were closely inspired by the Victoria Line in London which had opened several years earlier. It was on the tail end of the bright primary colors era before the present insipid, non-committal era.

STMPainter2018

Post by STMPainter2018 »

tonyp wrote:ESR station designs were closely inspired by the Victoria Line in London which had opened several years earlier. It was on the tail end of the bright primary colors era before the present insipid, non-committal era.
Well... they do have their place in design history that's for sure. But personally, I prefer my station colours and architecture a bit more subdued. It's just the era I grew up in; the era of the Airport line, the ECRL, SWRL, NWM, etc.

In other news, the 4-car S set that ran in the commemorative run on Sunday is soon to be preserved by Sydney Trains, at least from what I've heard.

Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

STMPainter2018 wrote:The documentary was a very fascinating watch, but the one thing that stood out for me was seeing how much uglier the stations were upon opening compared to now. Seriously did the 70's have any taste? WOOF! Yeah late 70's modernism is not my aesthetic...
Actually the stations while not pretty were very functional. The larger platforms and entrances were a welcome innovation compared to the city circle stations. The rubber flooring didn't wear well and was replaced in the late 1980s, but otherwise they have needed few modifications.

STMPainter2018

Post by STMPainter2018 »

Linto63 wrote:Actually the stations while not pretty were very functional. The larger platforms and entrances were a welcome innovation compared to the city circle stations. The rubber flooring didn't wear well and was replaced in the late 1980s, but otherwise they have needed few modifications.
Oh there is no doubt that the ESR stations are perfectly functional. I'm only going off a design point of view. And personally, I'm just not a fan of 70's modernist architecture and design. Yes the more garish aspects of each station has been toned down since but otherwise, I prefer the look of the more classic stations like Museum.

matthewg

Post by matthewg »

They also made an effort to make each station a different strong colour. Once you learned the colours a mere glance out the window and you knew which station it was. While they have lost their strong colour identity, the stations are still quite different.
Unlike the ECL and the new Metro stations where each station is identical, so you have to actually see and read the name board instead of a momentary glance at the splash of colour.

So there was logic in the madness of those strong colours.

moa999

Post by moa999 »

All the stations in the new part of the Metro have different coloured glass on the lifts and escalators.
(And the floor strips - but these were poorly thought out as you can't see them from the train)

Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I think the ESR still holds up very well today. I still feel like I'm riding a new-ish system when I use it.
Pity it was never completed to Kingsford. It would have been nice to have had a Charing Cross station of our own and it would have cemented Randwick as a major urban centre.
According to the 1972 Gregories street directory, the proposed line shown as "under construction" finishes up at Maroubra Junction with a station represented.
Unapologetically hate attention seeking bus pax.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”