• Advertisement

Private Observations 2019

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion

Re: Private Observations 2019

Postby Centralian » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:33 pm

I notice listed for sale with Rodd Hoods Bus Sales are 3 Optare "Tempo' and 3 Optare 'Solo' buses. All ex demonstrators.
Centralian

Postby Daniel » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:10 pm

Adblue can be poured out of a small portable plastic tank if need be. Not really a big deal.
Daniel
Administrator

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Postby Fleet Lists » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:24 pm

I was on a coach tour recently where the coach driver had a supply of Adblue which he added whenever he refuelled at a service station which did not have it.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby ScaniaGrenda » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:26 pm

Well I've been further told the buses have been updated with Singleton accreditation now making them full time buses up there. Sure it's only 4 but there's probably more new buses to eventually come in the future and living off small tanks surely can't be ideal forever. Might ask one of the Singleton drivers when I'm next on one of their buses.

But my knowledge on operations and adblue is limited so I can't comment much further on the matter.
ScaniaGrenda

Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Postby Stu » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:03 pm

When Kingsgrove first received Volvo B12BLE Euro 5 buses in late 2009 there were 4 x chemical grade intermediate bulk containers (IBC) full of AdBlue hooked up to a dispensary system, eventually an official 'AdBlue' branded storage was I installed and hooked up to the existing dispensary system. The AdBlue system was not used for a few years as the Volvo buses were transferred away to other depots and the Scania K280UB units did not require AdBlue to meet Euro 5. This all changed on January 30 this year when a number Scania K310UB units were transferred from other depots to Kingsgrove as these units do require AdBlue.
Stu

Postby tonyp » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:44 am

It's a great sport taking random rides on Nowra Coaches 102 Bay and Basin where the bulk of the patronage is elderly/disabled/parents-with-prams and very busy with lots of them. The company has long since been made aware of the problems with the CB80 Cargos (tiny low floor, only nine seats, six of which can be taken out of action by various mobility devices), but I imagine they are determined to see the vehicles live out their life cycles rather than admit they bought the wrong buses.

This morning's ride was a bit of a record-breaker among my random trips, with no less than three competitors for the device-parking spaces, a lot of shuffling around, blocked aisle, delayed stop dwells, crowd down the front, half empty up the back, usual stuff. I simply don't understand the bus industry's wilful blindness to these issues. The bus ended up ten minutes late at Vincentia just on a short journey from Tomerong which it left on time. That means it is late to Nowra and Bomaderry (train connection). To cap it off, when it got to Vincentia Market Town, where half the crowd got off, it was late enough that the 103 from Jervis Bay to Nowra pulled in behind it. That was one of their buses with two doors, a long low floor and plenty of low floor seats. It had one passenger on board.....
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby BroadGauge » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:14 pm

PBC Crookwell's one low floor, 8077 MO (Iveco Metro/Custom CB80) is operating the town service in Goulburn on behalf of PBC Goulburn today. Unsure what is running on PBC Crookwell's route 818 instead.
BroadGauge

Favourite Vehicle: Car

Postby ScaniaGrenda » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:25 pm

Saw 7326 MO from HVB Morisset heading towards Stockland Greenhills at 2:00 PM today with the desto set to "NOT IN SERVICE"
ScaniaGrenda

Postby Fleet Lists » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:08 pm

What is significant about that?
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Stonesourscotty » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:41 pm

For the 4th time in a week Busways Glendennings newest bus B8RLE 1301 has been on Schools/759 (Routes interwork in St Marys) is there a reason their newest bus seems confined to these routes? When it first arrived it seemed to mainly stick to work routes.. Busways 900 is also a bus that seems to be confined to school work and the Afternoon 779 lately.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Stonesourscotty

Favourite Vehicle: Custom Bodied Tri Axle Volvo

Postby ScaniaGrenda » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:45 pm

Fleet Lists wrote:What is significant about that?

I guess being a long way from it's home base. Morisset is some distance from Greenhills and unless it was on a Charter I have no idea why it would be up here, hence to me being an interesting observation.

There is no Morisset school buses that do runs to Maitland last I checked.
ScaniaGrenda

Postby stajourneyman » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:56 am

I think you will find with Busways that they seem to operate a one bus - two driver fleet....e.g. going back 20 years ago, the AM driver would arrive back at the depot in the mid afternoon, and the PM driver would then leave the depot 10 - 15 minutes later on his PM shift with the same vehicle each day.

In addition, back then, the drivers would operate a shared shift roster, meaning that two drivers would permanently share the same two shifts each week.They would switch shifts for the second half of each week.One would do it Monday to Wednesday whilst the second driver did it Thursday and Friday. On the following week it applied in reverse. So, in effect each driver was doing the same shift from Thursday until the following Wednesday.

Apparently, this was Busways way of comparing the two drivers on time running, as well as checking on their honesty in regard to the collection of fares.

So, in 2019 if you are seeing the same buses doing the same shifts regularly, Busways are probably still applying the same rostering procedures as in previous years.

Coincidentally, living in a Busways area, I have been noticing over the past couple of weeks the same busways bus laying over in the neighbourhood prior to starting the same run on each occasion, perhaps being evidence of this same practice.
stajourneyman

Postby CityRail » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:24 am

Dion's Bus Service m/o 6965 has debut today on free bus Route 9N.

It is a Volgren bus and it appears that it is so new that it does not have any fare machine.
CityRail

Postby BAMBAM » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:37 pm

Transdev m/o 9486 Mercedes-Benz O500LE Bustech "VST" (ex 308) is caught up on a sinkhole in Caringbah.

Picture in the link

https://i.redd.it/ro0oq51djhk31.jpg
BAMBAM

Postby Fleet Lists » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:16 pm

That would have been why I was redirected around that by police at about 11 am this morning.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Swift » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:44 pm

Damn, and on an 0500 chassis too.
I hope there aren't major repairs required.
MAN SL200 & Mercedes 0 305:essentially the same bus.
Brisbane: SL200, Sydney 0305, Canberra both, Melbourne SL200, Hobart neither, Adelaide both, Perth 0305, Parramatta Ryde SL200 :P
Swift

Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Postby boronia » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:37 pm

I guess the HWP and RMS will now have a blitz looking for overweight buses? :lol:
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2020
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby Fleet Lists » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:42 pm

From the Daiky Telegraph - limited access

How bus got stuck in Caringbah sinkhole

The bus trapped in a sinkhole caused by a burst water main in Sydney’s south has been removed. With the help of a tow truck and assistance crews, the vehicle was freed and moved.

Sinkhole in Caringbah causes traffic chaos
A bus was trapped in a sinkhole after a water main burst water main in Sydney’s south

The bus trapped in a sinkhole caused by a burst water main in Sydney’s south has been removed.

With the help of a tow truck and assistance crews, the vehicle was freed and moved about 2pm today.

The rear of the bus has become significantly entrenched in the sinkhole at the intersection of the Kingsway and Port Hacking Rd at Caringbah about 11am.

Traffic choked and Live Traffic NSW reported all eastbound lanes near President Ave were closed shortly after the incident.

Westbound traffic on Kingsway is required to continue onto President Ave, where it can use Kareena Rd to return to Kingsway.

Eastbound traffic on President Ave will shortly be reopened, according to Live Traffic NSW.

Sydney Water workers are working underground to switch the water off, which cascaded across Port Hacking Rd and down towards the train line.

Other crews are assisting to fix the problem and diversions are in place.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby BanksfielderIdiot823 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:37 pm

And that's not the only bus-related incident today.

PBC #5437 was t-boned by a d***head in a truck that shot through a red light in Punchbowl.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/bus-a ... 37e8d7075d

A shop security camera today became a red light camera, capturing a semi-trailer run a red light and plough into a Sydney bus

The collision occurred just after lunch time at the corner of Canterbury Road and Cullen Road at Punchbowl in the city's west.

A number of passengers were injured when the heavy impact almost toppled the bus.

"The truck just came through, it was crazy mate," witness Fred Ayoub said.

"I saw people screaming, it was crazy. I automatically called 000, and they came in less than three minutes. I was surprised."

Images, obtained exclusively by 9News, show the heavy impact as the truck t-bones the bus, its wheel lifted from the ground.

Another camera angle shows the truck careering through the intersection while other drivers realise it's a red light and pull up.

There were only handful of people on the bus but a number of them were hurt, including a woman who suffered facial injuries.

In total ambulances transported five patients to Canterbury Hospital, Liverpool, and St George hospital.

All were in a stable condition.

The truck driver had to be cut from the wreckage and was taken to Canterbury Hospital.

Traffic in the area was disrupted for more than two hours as the bus and truck were removed.

A crash investigation is underway.

© Nine Digital Pty Ltd 2019
Just forever waiting for a Volgren Optimus, let alone a Volgren Optimus Volvo B9TL, to cruise by Edensor Park...
Formerly of Bankstown City until that council amalgamation...
BanksfielderIdiot823

Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Postby Swift » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:24 pm

He was hurtling way too fast toward that intersection even if it were green. Too many irresponsible louts behind the wheel of these heavy rigs.
Unbelievable forces were at play in that crash. The bus did well.
MAN SL200 & Mercedes 0 305:essentially the same bus.
Brisbane: SL200, Sydney 0305, Canberra both, Melbourne SL200, Hobart neither, Adelaide both, Perth 0305, Parramatta Ryde SL200 :P
Swift

Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Postby ub94k » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:04 pm

Busways Penrith, Scania k230ub, volgren cr288l, #1128 was operating a 730 from blacktown, a route usually done by blacktown or mulgrave depot. Usually never see a bus from penrith at blacktown.
ub94k

Postby Stonesourscotty » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:33 pm

1128 was on a Glendenning school route on Friday if my memory is correct so might be a short term loan.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Stonesourscotty

Favourite Vehicle: Custom Bodied Tri Axle Volvo

Postby boronia » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:45 pm

Swift wrote:He was hurtling way too fast toward that intersection even if it were green. Too many irresponsible louts behind the wheel of these heavy rigs.
Unbelievable forces were at play in that crash. The bus did well.

A good indication of the quality of bus design/building these days
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2020
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby tonyp » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:39 pm

boronia wrote:A good indication of the quality of bus design/building these days

However there's a significant risk of being thrown through the window if the seats are mounted too high in relation to the window line (as happened to a schoolboy who was killed in an almost identical accident in Singleton). That's an issue with the Bustech body towards the rear. Volgren and Custom ensure that the side bulkheads extend up to about shoulder height wherever the seats are located. Yet another issue with the Bustech design that agencies and operators are blind to.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby BanksfielderIdiot823 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:41 pm

tonyp wrote:However there's a significant risk of being thrown through the window if the seats are mounted too high in relation to the window line (as happened to a schoolboy who was killed in an almost identical accident in Singleton). That's an issue with the Bustech body towards the rear. Volgren and Custom ensure that the side bulkheads extend up to about shoulder height wherever the seats are located. Yet another issue with the Bustech design that agencies and operators are blind to.

Which makes it even more a relief that Punchbowl's newest buses are from Custom and Volgren (albeit only 2 from the latter, it's otherwise a Custom Coaches funhouse) and for its entire history they have stayed well away from Bustech even though every other operator surrounding Region 5 got some. One of the things I really like about PBC.
Last edited by BanksfielderIdiot823 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just forever waiting for a Volgren Optimus, let alone a Volgren Optimus Volvo B9TL, to cruise by Edensor Park...
Formerly of Bankstown City until that council amalgamation...
BanksfielderIdiot823

Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Sydney / NSW