NSW Ferry Observations 2019

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
moa999

Re: NSW Ferry Observations 2019

Post by moa999 »

Particularly once the LR opens suspect more people will be wanting the transfer benefit.

Given Sydney Ferries is now privately operated, no reason other than history why it is part of the Opal system, whereas other commuter ferries , including Manly Fast and the various Captain Cook (Lane Cove, Manly, Watson's Bay, Taronga) aren't. Even the Elizabeth Bay mini-ferry.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The difference is that Sydney Ferries is only privatised to the point that it is operated by a private operator but the assets are still owned by the Government while for the others the assets are owned by the operators and timetables are not controlled to the same extent as for Sydney Ferries. But certainly I would like to see it all come under the full Opal umbrella..
Also we assume and hopefully correctly so that the transfer fee will be introduced between ferries and light rail as currently it is not available.
Living in the Shire.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

As for the mini-ferry. From a Facebook group.
It is with a deep regret that our On Demand service between Elizabeth Bay and Circular Quay will cease operations after the 13th September 2019.

The service was well received by the local community however sufficient numbers to make the service profitable did not materialise over the 8 month trial period.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

boronia wrote:Manly Fast Ferry cuts non-peak services by quarter as passengers drop

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/man ... 52dve.html
https://www.myfastferry.com.au/2019/08/ ... gust-2019/

New timetable from 26th August 2019
August 22, 2019

In response to customer concerns, more services will be added to the Manly to Circular Quay weekday evening peak timetable from next Monday 26 August, providing a service every ten minutes between 5:00PM and 6:30PM. In addition, we will be reintroducing one of our Darling Harbour to Manly afternoon peak hour services.

This timetable will be in in effect from 26th August and we’ll continue to work on further improvements for the busier summer period.

Manly – Circular Quay Fast Ferry Timetable
Manly – Darling Harbour Commuter Timetable
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

https://www.captaincook.com.au/sydney-h ... ry-update/
Ferry Update 27 August 2019

Closure of Manly Barangaroo Ferry Service

After 2 years of effort Captain Cook Cruises is disappointed to announce the closure of the Manly Barangaroo Ferry Service. Following a detailed review, we identified that it is not viable to continue to operate the ferry service. Under significant cost pressure our endeavours to operate the Manly to Barangaroo service has placed a significant financial burden on the company and we regret to advise that we will cease operations after the 13th September.

All unused ticketing App fares will be refunded following the closure of the service.

The service has received strong praise and whilst it has continued to grow in patronage the path to profitability has been too slow to continue operations.

We wish to thank our loyal customers and hardworking crew for their support.

Captain Cook Cruises continues to be committed to the operation and development of our dining, charter and sightseeing cruises on Sydney Harbour.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Current timetable at https://transportnsw.info/documents/tim ... 190912.pdf
New timetable from 13th September https://transportnsw.info/documents/tim ... 190913.pdf

There seems to be a considerable reduction in services but it still seems to operate between Darling Harbour and Manly.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The message on the Captain Cook website about the closure of the Barangaroo - Manly service has now been replaced by a new timetable along the lines as reported last Tuesday on the Transport Info website.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

More on the Darling Harbour/Baranagaroo service
Manly ↔ Barangaroo Ferry Service
Service Announcement

My Fast Ferry will operate a temporary service from Manly to King St Wharf, commencing on Monday 16th September. This service will operate until the finalization of wharf access at Barangaroo at which point a long term Manly to Barangaroo fast ferry service with increased frequency, will be confirmed.

Weekday commuter service between Manly, Milsons Point, Pyrmont Bay, Barangaroo (King Street Wharf 7) and Darling Harbour (Aquarium Wharf).

Services from 6:55 am to 7:20 pm. OpalPay accepted on this service. Licensed bar onboard.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Parramatta Wharf reopens Friday 11 October
Wednesday 02 October 2019

The existing wharf has been undergoing upgrade works since April 2019.

The upgrades include improvements to the safety and accessibility of the wharf and changes to allow faster and more efficient boarding and disembarking of ferries. Other changes include better seating and waiting areas and improved weather protection.

The first scheduled service is at 6.24am.
Living in the Shire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

From Transperth social media - somebody has been learning lessons from NSW. :lol:
It will soon be anchors away for our newest ferry, and we need your help with a name. In bad news for those that are cray-sea for Boaty McBoatface or Ferry McFerryface, the name should be above board, and we encourage you to explain the reasoning behind your choice.
I presume that Andrew will not be entering this competition.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

Anybody using the expression anchors "away" should be ineligible.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Fleet Lists wrote:Parramatta Wharf reopens Friday 11 October
Wednesday 02 October 2019

The existing wharf has been undergoing upgrade works since April 2019.

The upgrades include improvements to the safety and accessibility of the wharf and changes to allow faster and more efficient boarding and disembarking of ferries. Other changes include better seating and waiting areas and improved weather protection.

The first scheduled service is at 6.24am.
The was a bit on TV news earlier in the week about Parra Council's plans to redevelop the entire area around the wharf, across the weir and on the north bank.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Caught a 439 bus to Mortlake this afternoon, found some ferry subjects

MV Fiesta, ex Palm Beach
DSC04076 (Small).jpeg
DSC04076 (Small).jpeg (141.33 KiB) Viewed 7139 times
The Mortlake car ferry, I thought this only operated during peak hours
DSC04081 (Small).jpeg
DSC04081 (Small).jpeg (140.18 KiB) Viewed 7139 times
No one can accuse RMS of wasting money on sign upgrades
DSC04078 (Small).jpeg
DSC04078 (Small).jpeg (174.06 KiB) Viewed 7139 times
@ The Museum of Fire.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Done well Boronia.
Thanks for the shots.
The Palm Beach Ferry Service is owned by the same group that owns Fantasea Cruises which explains why it is operating on Sydney Harbour.
How many pax did the 439 get ??
Have a good day..
boronia

Post by boronia »

I can't find any history on line, but I think Fiesta has long been disassociated with PBFS. It is now a private charter vessel, not part of the Fantasea fleet.

Re the 439, from Central it was basically just another Parramatta Rd-Leichhardt service. Most pax gone by Concord shops, I was only one left at the terminus.

Maybe locals find 464 better for Sunday shopping outings. I caught one back as far as Concord, picked up a few pax along the way. Then got a 410 to Burwood, good pick ups on that section.
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I put the picture up on a ferry FB page, and there have been numerous contradictory suggestions as to its past history.
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Some mention on Ch 10 News tonight that the new SHF ferries will be built in China or Indonesia
@ The Museum of Fire.
Bus 400

Post by Bus 400 »

Free feel to do the quoting thingy.

But new Rivercats to be built in Indonesia & new harbour ferries to be built in China.

Source, https://thewest.com.au/politics/anger-a ... -s-1975181

How can NSW build ferries, when NSW can't even do a newspaper report...

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

The West got the article from news wire AAP.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

Golden grove is going in to have its refit at Port Macquarie
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

https://transportnsw.info/news/2019/ind ... s#homepage
Indicator screens upgrade at Sydney wharves
Wednesday 13 November 2019

From Tuesday 19 to Friday 29 November 2019, service information will not be displayed on screens at wharves due to a system upgrade across the Sydney Ferry network.

Please listen to announcements, check the timetable posters at the wharf or ask staff for ferry service information.

For the latest information, check travel alerts, plan your trip, or use your travel apps.
Living in the Shire.
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

I took the ferry from Circular Quay to Parramatta last Sunday, if they changed the wharf since my previous trip in 2017, I did not notice.

The service information screens at Circular Quay seem to be not very effective. While I was waiting at the sliding gate, there was an almost endless procession of people coming up and asking the Sydney ferries worker where the ferry was going. The screen was not in a very visible location.

I also saw that old ferry which boronia took a photo of. Fifty years ago, I used to go camping at The Basin near Palm Beach. When I started, the used a really old small ferry called Swanhilde IIRC. Around 1971, they started using a newer one which was bigger and very white paint. I don't recall the name. Could be that one, maybe.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Swanhilda was latterly operated by Basin and Mackeral Beach Ferries (D. Mackay) until 1972. The ferry in the above photo is likely either ex Merinda or ex Raluana, both built in the 1960s. I have a photo of Mirigini (1973) and it’s not her.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Fleet Lists wrote:https://transportnsw.info/news/2019/ind ... s#homepage
Indicator screens upgrade at Sydney wharves
Wednesday 13 November 2019

From Tuesday 19 to Friday 29 November 2019, service information will not be displayed on screens at wharves due to a system upgrade across the Sydney Ferry network.
That's a very lengthy switch off in this day and age.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”