NSW Railway Observations 2019

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by boronia »

Frosty wrote: It does have advantages to Sydney Trains for manufacture run maintence model they can shift the blame of any maintenance issues to the outsourced company. Would it be possible with the next batch of trains B sets 2.0 mean change in fleet allocation for lines with T2,T3 & T8 moving to exclusively M sets, B sets and some A sets. Alternatively enabling 100% A sets on the T1 line.
A couple of years away yet. Anything can happen in that time. No point speculating now.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
aidenh37

Post by aidenh37 »

boronia wrote:I have been a regular commuter, mainly on BMT trains, and casual traveller on other lines for over 15 years. I cannot recall ever being on a train that has completely failed in service during this time. Sure there have been delays, diversions and transpositions caused by other problems which are often never really explained.

Maybe I have been lucky, but my general impression is that maintenance has been satisfactory.
The one and only time I've seen a train actually break down, was a H Set at Pennant Hills - and I was on it.

Stopped short of Pennant Hills platform 3 awaiting clear signal ahead, in the pouring rain peak hour on a Winter's night. When cleared, wouldn't move at all. Tried a complete restart. No luck.

So there we were, a packed Central Coast train, walking through 3 cabs and out into the rain until a local showed up.

Something I'll never forget!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
swtt

Post by swtt »

Campbelltown busboy wrote:
BanksfielderIdiot823 wrote:Considering this "internal report" is from none other than Sydney Trains themselves, it sounds like another propagandist excuse for them to try and get rid of the C and K sets, along with the V Sets, XPT and Endeavour/Xplorers (i.e. the ICONIC, Australian-built trains of their respective networks) and bring another good name to their China-built Waratrashes.
Cityrail/Sydney Trains haven’t got any new Australian built trains for the suburban network since the end of the original suburban Tangara order
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Order from China - ALP idiots go off the top of their heads about "NSW has the capacity"... at least twice the cost with wages being one of the most expensive items.

Don't order from China - Daily Terror nails the government for manufacturing lemons (remember the "Milemon"?) and for spending too much per train.
boronia

Post by boronia »

'I enjoy the silence': The Sydney train driver earning more than a dentist

https://www.smh.com.au/business/workpla ... 50py7.html
@ The Museum of Fire.
kypros1992

Post by kypros1992 »

More Trains More Services (MTMS) Stage 2
The program includes projects including, but not limited to, the following:
Central Sydney Capacity Upgrade;
Erskineville Crossover;
Hurstville Crossover
Airport Tunnel Upgrade;
Mascot Station Upgrade;
Hurstville Station Upgrade;
Mortdale Maintenance Centre Upgrade;
T4 Stabling & Waterfall Infrastructure Upgrade;
Power Upgrades;
T4 and South Coast Station Upgrades;
Asset Rationalisation Asset Resilience, Transport Integration and Sustainability.
https://tenders.nsw.gov.au/?event=publi ... 7014CFF4AC
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

kypros1992 wrote:More Trains More Services (MTMS) Stage 2
The program includes projects including, but not limited to, the following:
Central Sydney Capacity Upgrade;
Erskineville Crossover;
Hurstville Crossover
Airport Tunnel Upgrade;
Mascot Station Upgrade;
Hurstville Station Upgrade;
Mortdale Maintenance Centre Upgrade;
T4 Stabling & Waterfall Infrastructure Upgrade;
Power Upgrades;
T4 and South Coast Station Upgrades;
Asset Rationalisation Asset Resilience, Transport Integration and Sustainability.
https://tenders.nsw.gov.au/?event=publi ... 7014CFF4AC
Sounds like a belated catch-up to me to boost investment in the Sydney Trains' network with a looming State Election. Why couldn't they have announced these projects earlier? I can recall a similar situation in 1976, when public transport was a major issue because of the neglect of the system in favour of road construction. The then Willis Coalition Government announced major train and bus procurements in the lead-up to the election, but they still lost in a landslide to the Wran Labor Party. It was all too late. I might add that then Premier, Eric Willis, was a decent man whom I knew personally, but the party's reputation was tarnished by his predecessor, Robert Askin.
Last edited by Transtopic on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Transtopic wrote:Sounds like a belated catch-up to me to boost investment in the Sydney Trains' network with a looming State Election. Why couldn't they have announced these projects earlier? I can recall a similar situation in 1976, when public transport was a major issue because of the neglect of the system in favour of road construction. The then Willis Coalition Government announced major train and bus procurements in the lead-up to the election, but they still lost in a landslide to the Wran Labor Party. It was all too late.

MTMS Stage 2 was announced well earlier - at least June 2018. It's taken a while for it to go to tender. This isn't an announcement that was posted - it's a tender. If they don't do it now, the government will go into caretaker mode.

https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/system ... %202_0.pdf
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

swtt wrote:MTMS Stage 2 was announced well earlier - at least June 2018. It's taken a while for it to go to tender. This isn't an announcement that was posted - it's a tender. If they don't do it now, the government will go into caretaker mode.

https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/system ... %202_0.pdf
The announcement specifically states that it is NOT a tender. The heading states that it is 'Early Notification of Potential Upcoming MTMS EOI'. The document further states that 'This is an Early Notification only. EOI documents are not curently available'. Still sounds like a rushed job to me to avoid the caretaker mode.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Transtopic wrote: I might add that then Premier, Eric Willis, was a decent man whom I knew personally, but the party's reputation was tarnished by his predecessor, Robert Askin.
I don't intend to say anything in favour of Askin, but it was Askin's government that recommenced the building of the ESR to Kingsford, after years of procrastination and deferral, mostly by Labor governments. Then, later, the Whitlam government promised aid to finish the line but this wasn't honoured. Then the huge inflation that occurred under Whitlam took its toll on the project and it ran into financial difficulty. Then Wran's Labor government cancelled it beyond BJ, nixing the promise that his Labor predecessors had made that the line would take up the task that the trams they had prematurely closed undertook (the Liberals never had a policy to get rid of the trams in the first place, but to upgrade them). So the end result was a gigantic shortage of capacity in the E and SE suburbs that the replacement buses have continued to fail to provide ever since. CSELR is belatedly to make some amends in the SE and, while the ESR helped as far as BJ, we've seen ever since the struggles the buses have had to provide capacity on the Bondi Beach corridor. Whatever else might be said about Askin, the Askin/Milton Morris era was positive about public transport and in more ways than this example (e.g. introducing the fabulous V sets).
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Transtopic wrote:Sounds like a belated catch-up to me to boost investment in the Sydney Trains' network with a looming State Election. Why couldn't they have announced these projects earlier?
So you previously complain that there's no investment in the network (despite the fact there is), but when a new suite of upgrades are announced (even though this isn't a political announcement) it's just 'catch-up' and politics. Do you want investment or not? Or is it just not the investment you personally like?

More Trains More Services has been in leaked internal reports for more than two years now under a different name. This is the next stage of a multi year program to modernise lines to increase capacity, and it was announced last year. This is simply the next phase in procurement not a ploy for votes in the election.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

What's the Mascot Station changes?
A second entrance nearer to Coward St

Particularly interesting given the State Govt doesn't yet own the station
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Can anyone tell me about carriage D6106 on Tangara t1 as I have read on a few sites it's been taken away for spares and yet it was on T1 yesterday on Emu plains services.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

A few Oscar trains on the City Circle this weekend.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Stonesourscotty wrote:Can anyone tell me about carriage D6106 on Tangara t1 as I have read on a few sites it's been taken away for spares and yet it was on T1 yesterday on Emu plains services.
No mention of it on this site, perhaps ask on the other sites. 6106 was listed as a spare car a few years ago, perhaps that what the reference was?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Stonesourscotty

The two tangaras at Auburn that havn't moved since around October have Yellow machines with flashing lights attached to the front and rear currently. I wonder if these are the first refurbished tangaras?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

boronia wrote:
Stonesourscotty wrote:Can anyone tell me about carriage D6106 on Tangara t1 as I have read on a few sites it's been taken away for spares and yet it was on T1 yesterday on Emu plains services.
No mention of it on this site, perhaps ask on the other sites. 6106 was listed as a spare car a few years ago, perhaps that what the reference was?
http://trackrecordfl.wixsite.com/trackr ... fleet-list shows 6106 as used for parts - obviously incorrect
Living in the Shire.
Stonesourscotty

One of the Auburn Tangaras has gone but the other remains
Richmond line is bustituted due to another accident on the line.
I definitely rode 6106 on Friday evening it's back to its original formation
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

rogf24 wrote:A few Oscar trains on the City Circle this weekend.
These were Central Coast services diverted around the City Circle via Museum due to trackwork at Sydney Terminal. They have previously run to North Sydney during these possessions, not sure why the change to City Circle.
aidenh37

Post by aidenh37 »

andy_centralcoast wrote:
rogf24 wrote:A few Oscar trains on the City Circle this weekend.
These were Central Coast services diverted around the City Circle via Museum due to trackwork at Sydney Terminal. They have previously run to North Sydney during these possessions, not sure why the change to City Circle.
Possibly to allow NSW TrainLink drivers to ensure they are familiar with the route should a disruption occur?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Stonesourscotty

B10 has entered service I'm onboard it currently at Granville.
andy_centralcoast

The new signals on the North Shore Line have been commissioned and seem to make a big difference.

I’m on 286K this afternoon and we arrived at Gordon a full 4 minutes early, and have just arrived at Hornsby a massive 6 minutes early.

Edit: now arrived berowra 2-3 minutes early too.

Hopefully there will be a revised timetable with reduced journey times. They could easily shave 5 to 10 minutes off this trip!

With the extended dwell people were looking around wondering what the delay was, not realising they were waiting for the timetable to catch up. Especially because the guard initially played the doors closing message about a minute after arriving.
jaseee

Post by jaseee »

I was wondering earlier this week if they had changed the signals on the North Shore Line! I noticed at Artarmon on Monday that the red signal cleared much quicker than usual after the previous train had left and the next train arrived in 2 mins (rather than 3 mins later).
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

andy_centralcoast wrote:The new signals on the North Shore Line have been commissioned and seem to make a big difference.

I’m on 286K this afternoon and we arrived at Gordon a full 4 minutes early, and have just arrived at Hornsby a massive 6 minutes early.

Edit: now arrived berowra 2-3 minutes early too.

Hopefully there will be a revised timetable with reduced journey times. They could easily shave 5 to 10 minutes off this trip!

With the extended dwell people were looking around wondering what the delay was, not realising they were waiting for the timetable to catch up. Especially because the guard initially played the doors closing message about a minute after arriving.
Part of the reason why your train was so early today was because the train before it (the 5.38pm Central all stations to Hornsby) was cancelled. This train usually arrives at Hornsby at 6.28pm, terminates and then the Central Coast service is due out at 6.33pm.

There's a lot of dwell time on the CCN via Shore services but it's difficult to see how journey times will be reduced with the local services in front of it.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

jaseee wrote:I was wondering earlier this week if they had changed the signals on the North Shore Line! I noticed at Artarmon on Monday that the red signal cleared much quicker than usual after the previous train had left and the next train arrived in 2 mins (rather than 3 mins later).
Some Signals on the North Shore Line have had the Medium Aspect (Green over Yellow) removed, so the Driver will only see a Caution Aspect (Green over Red).

Under this arrangement, the train should continue at Track Speed until the Driver sights the Caution Aspect, whereas before the Driver would have slowed the train on sighting the Medium aspect. As the Lower North Shore Line is curved in places, Track Speed is low, and the distance between the Caution and the Stop Signal should be well within Braking Distance.

This should result in closing up the Headways between trains as Signals clear more quickly.
andy_centralcoast

Frodo wrote: Part of the reason why your train was so early today was because the train before it (the 5.38pm Central all stations to Hornsby) was cancelled. This train usually arrives at Hornsby at 6.28pm, terminates and then the Central Coast service is due out at 6.33pm.

There's a lot of dwell time on the CCN via Shore services but it's difficult to see how journey times will be reduced with the local services in front of it.
You’re right! And they’ve got those 2 trains timetabled in the wrong order. The CCN train follows behind the all stations to Hornsby train which follows a Gordon terminator. The CCN should go first behind the Gordon terminator so it has a clear run to Hornsby.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”