That time again

https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/news-a ... port-17-18
100% of buses - air conditioned
91.2% of buses - wheelchair accessible
11.3% of buses - high capacity articulated
rogf24

Re: Annual Reports 2018

Post by rogf24 »

201,792,231 trips made on STA in 2017-18 and this was up 5.4% from the previous year (10.3 million). This was the last financial year of full STA bus operations in Region 6.
marcnut1996
Favourite Vehicle: Electric buses

Post by marcnut1996 »

Surprisingly, the address listed on the back cover (last page) did not update to the Mascot address. It still states Leichhardt as the corporate address.
Originally a Sydneysider, now a Melburnian
Stu

Post by Stu »

^ After the STA restructure was announcement in December 2016, Leichhardt Depot was chosen to become the head office for STA. Earlier in 2017, both the ground level main admin office and level 1 admin office had the be vacated, some staff moved into another office inside Leichhardt Depot whilst the Region 6 head office was moved to Tempe (GM, Traffic Services, Schedules, Charters & South 25).

STA head office never actually physically existed at Leichhardt as was originally intended due to the Region 6 franchising announcement in May 2017,
Brookvale Depot was then chosen as STA head office.
marcnut1996
Favourite Vehicle: Electric buses

Post by marcnut1996 »

When I went to the Leichhardt Depot 60th anniversary tour, the Transit Systems guy did say STA was planning to move into the vacated Leichhardt ground level and level 1 office from Mascot, but this was shelved after Region 6 was announced to be franchised. But I am not sure where the current STA head office is now. Google still says Bourket St, Mascot.
Originally a Sydneysider, now a Melburnian
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

Financial Audit report of Transport NSW has also been published.
https://www.audit.nsw.gov.au/publicatio ... sport-2018

Key callout is that since the Opal changes revenue is increasing at a higher rate than patronage growth.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Patronage and fare revenue
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Sydney Trains has at last managed to top the peak patronage of the former Sydney tram system. It only took 139 years.

State Transit finally gets a bit of an uptick after virtually flatlining since about 1970 after it successfully repelled the "surplus" tram patronage that it couldn't handle. The recent climb would be due largely to population growth driving more people to use public transport.

It would be of interest if there was a way to slot costs and their percentage changes into that table.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Region 9 (Eastern Suburbs) is STA worst performing region it would be interesting if it improves for 2019 after off loading some poor performing routes to Transit Systems in R6. Alongside with changes to Bondi area & now Botany Rd corridor. STA patronage rises can be seen in areas that have had significant increases in service levels most notably Green Square area. Hopefully once light rail is completed R9 could possibly reach its punctuality targets.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

I'm sure the vagaries of CBD traffic will continue to prevent that.
Stu

Post by Stu »

marcnut1996 wrote:When I went to the Leichhardt Depot 60th anniversary tour, the Transit Systems guy did say STA was planning to move into the vacated Leichhardt ground level and level 1 office from Mascot, but this was shelved after Region 6 was announced to be franchised. But I am not sure where the current STA head office is now. Google still says Bourket St, Mascot.
The Mascot office was vacated almost 18 months ago, the various renamed departments that were created during the restructure only existed at Mascot for a very short time. Having a head office on a non government site was costing too much money, so the idea of breaking up the centralised head office departments and moving them to government owned sites - depots.

- CEO. (V)
- Finance & Corporate Services. (V)
- Transformation. (V)
- Customer Operations. (Y)
- Safety, Health, Environment & Quality.(R)
- Asset Management (L) (formerly Fleet Operations & Infrastructure Division) (no change to location)
- Communications. (W)
- People & Culture. (P)

* The IT department are now based at Ryde Depot and works under the instruction of TfNSW who are in control of all IT services for the Transport cluster - My It Working For You (MITWFY).
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

Stu wrote:* The IT department are now based at Ryde Depot and works under the instruction of TfNSW who are in control of all IT services for the Transport cluster - My It Working For You (MITWFY).
It’s actually “Making IT Work For You”. Would be nice if that were the actual outcome though.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Stu

Post by Stu »

^ Lol. Apologies for the silly typo, I need to double check more often when using the iPhone.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Stu wrote:^ Lol. Apologies for the silly typo, I need to double check more often when using the iPhone.
Those damn autocorrects are the worst thing ever. They should realise that most people actually know what they're talking about!
gld59

Post by gld59 »

If they default to "off", the people who need it won't enable it, so it's better to default "on" and make those of us who hate it go and turn it off. In the meantime it probably provides more amusement than confusion. :twisted:
kypros1992

Post by kypros1992 »

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Patronage 2017-18:
Train: 405,924,551
Bus: 332,015,979
Ferry: 16,434,741
Light rail: 10,259,845

On-time running 2017-18:
Sydney Trains: 91.6%
NSW Trains (Intercity): 90%
Metropolitan buses
overall: 93.9%
Harbour City Ferries: 99%
Light Rail: 87.2%
The first time that any public transport mode in any Australian city has exceeded the peak patronage of the second generation Sydney tramways. Congratulations Sydney Trains. It took 140 years but we got there!

But from what heights the third generation has fallen. It's a pretty damning indictment of the IWLR design and operation that it has the poorest on-time running percentage, for a mode that's being promoted by TfNSW as more reliable than buses. SIngle track stub at Dulwich Hill thwarting recovery time, too few doors on the trams, lackadaisical operation by Transdev. It can really be done much better than this. Seeing photos yesterday of the multiple obsessively-micromanaged speed limit signs along CSELR doesn't give much hope that things will improve.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I have sometimes wondered about the reliability of the tram services.

But last Saturday afternoon I was down around Paddys Markets and noticed three successive services with up and down trams sharing the same T-light cycle crossing Darling Drive. I guess it depends on the frequency, but have seen similar regular paired crossings across George St.

Back when the monorail was running I managed to get several shots of trams and monorail together in the Harbourside to Convention section. I thought the first shot I got was a fluke, but for it to happen 3 or 4 times in a row seemed more than co-incidence

While the frequency and speed may be lacking, they did get points for consistency.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”