M7 bus lanes

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: M7 bus lanes

Post by Swift »

I've seen the same situation Boronia describes on the M1 climb just after the Mooney Mooney Ck bridge south bound, despite signs stating trucks must keep to two left lanes only. It's not only inconsiderate, they're not legally entitled d
to do it!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

And is that not the case on Mt Ousley?
Living in the Shire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Fleet Lists wrote:And is that not the case on Mt Ousley?
Boronia didn't specify, but I'd expect there are such signs there too, but I don't hold much faith that trucks drivers respect rules much.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

Excellent timing...
Heavy vehicle lane restriction trial on the M1 Motorway
8 October 2018

A 12-month trial of heavy vehicle lane restrictions will commence on 1 November.
The trial will restrict heavy vehicles to the left two lanes from Wahroonga to Kariong to improve traffic flow and safety.
Over 75,000 cars and 7,000 heavy vehicles travel between Sydney and the Central Coast every day, making it one of the busiest sections of road in NSW.
Member for Terrigal Adam Crouch today announced Roads and Maritime Services will carry out a 12-month trial of heavy vehicle lane restrictions on both directions of the M1 Motorway between Wahroonga and Kariong, as part of the NSW Government’s commitment to improving road safety.

Mr Crouch said the trial is an extension of the existing heavy vehicle lane restriction signs displayed northbound from Bar Point to Kariong and southbound from Kariong to Calga and Brooklyn to Cowan.

The signs will limit trucks and buses with a Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) over 4.5 tonnes to the two left lanes to help improve road safety, traffic flow and increase driver comfort.

“The M1 is one of NSW’s busiest roads. More than 75,000 cars and 7,000 heavy vehicles travel between Sydney and the Central Coast every single day,” Mr Crouch said.

“This section of the M1 Motorway was chosen as it carries a large volume of heavy vehicle traffic and contains multiple uphill and downhill sections.

“The trial will start on 1 November, and will include an independent evaluation to determine the effectiveness and benefits of restricting heavy vehicles to the left lanes.”

Mr Crouch said the trial has been developed based on other similar trials.

“Results of similar trials in Victoria, Queensland and overseas have shown that when heavy vehicles are restricted from the far right lane on motorways, traffic flows more smoothly for all road users and there are fewer lane changes making the road safer for everyone,” Mr Crouch said.

“Trucks and buses will be permitted to overtake other vehicles, if it is safe to do so, but they must not travel outside the left two lanes.”

Penalties for breaching the sign-posted restrictions are up to $337 for a Penalty Notice or $2,200 for a maximum court-imposed penalty.

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/about/news-e ... orway.html
Swift

Post by Swift »

What if there is a snail matching the speed of the left most lane, in the second lane, which happens a lot. Also, will it be about as well enforced as the keep left unless overtaking rule is now? We all know that situation.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

Agree, but at least it is a start.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Swift wrote:Also, will it be about as well enforced as the keep left unless overtaking rule is now? We all know that situation.
We should appreciate how good we have it here in NSW. Go to Perth if you want to experience what it’s like for literally nobody to follow that rule. Slow cars in the right lane seemed to be the norm when I was there last :shock:
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Swift wrote:What if there is a snail matching the speed of the left most lane, in the second lane, which happens a lot. Also, will it be about as well enforced as the keep left unless overtaking rule is now? We all know that situation.
Well valid point for example P platers are limited to 90 kph for Red & 100 kph for Green so that might make it interesting when going up & down hills. Victoria doesn't have speed limit restrictions on P platers.
Swift

Post by Swift »

mandonov wrote:
Swift wrote:Also, will it be about as well enforced as the keep left unless overtaking rule is now? We all know that situation.
We should appreciate how good we have it here in NSW. Go to Perth if you want to experience what it’s like for literally nobody to follow that rule. Slow cars in the right lane seemed to be the norm when I was there last :shock:
Here, the difference is more drivers take on the role of enforcing it themselves with a nose to tail and some quick flashing if the lights. Trouble is all too many bully speedsters want the lane to themselves regardless if you use it correctly or not.
Bottom line. Australians are generally hopeless in freeway etiquette and shouldn't need enforcement in the first place.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

Swift wrote:
mandonov wrote:We should appreciate how good we have it here in NSW. Go to Perth if you want to experience what it’s like for literally nobody to follow that rule. Slow cars in the right lane seemed to be the norm when I was there last :shock:
Here, the difference is more drivers take on the role of enforcing it themselves with a nose to tail and some quick flashing if the lights. Trouble is all too many bully speedsters want the lane to themselves regardless if you use it correctly or not.
Bottom line. Australians are generally hopeless in freeway etiquette and shouldn't need enforcement in the first place.
And the biggest menace of all, especially when you're on cruise control on or slightly above the speed limit, those impatient drivers who HAVE to overtake you - then slow down, forcing you to correct your speed.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Transtopic wrote:
Swift wrote: Here, the difference is more drivers take on the role of enforcing it themselves with a nose to tail and some quick flashing if the lights. Trouble is all too many bully speedsters want the lane to themselves regardless if you use it correctly or not.
Bottom line. Australians are generally hopeless in freeway etiquette and shouldn't need enforceoutment in the first place.
And the biggest menace of all, especially when you're on cruise control on or slightly above the speed limit, those impatient drivers who HAVE to overtake you - then slow down, forcing you to correct your speed.
You know the answer don't you? DO IT BACK!
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Swift wrote:What if there is a snail matching the speed of the left most lane, in the second lane, which happens a lot. Also, will it be about as well enforced as the keep left unless overtaking rule is now? We all know that situation.
I think this rule also applies uphill on Mt Ousley but I haven't looked at the signs for a while. Often you'll get a truck overtaking a slower one but at least there's another lane available as well. That's the main thing.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

mandonov wrote: We should appreciate how good we have it here in NSW. Go to Perth if you want to experience what it’s like for literally nobody to follow that rule. Slow cars in the right lane seemed to be the norm when I was there last :shock:
Perth drivers are terrible but even worse in Queensland and Victoria. I think it's a rule of thumb that the more official nannying there is in a jurisdiction, the worse the quality of the driving because nannying purges the incentive for drivers to think for themselves. So logically if you drive at 10 km/h under the speed limit in the right lane of the motorway you must be driving safely and nothing could ever possibly happen to you.

My all-time favourite with Victorian and Queensland drivers over the years has been how they cut corners by crossing two or three lanes from right to left and then back to the right lane without signally or looking out for any other traffic. That's an art form, not to mention being useful for checking if your horn is still working. 8)
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

tonyp wrote:
mandonov wrote: We should appreciate how good we have it here in NSW. Go to Perth if you want to experience what it’s like for literally nobody to follow that rule. Slow cars in the right lane seemed to be the norm when I was there last :shock:
Perth drivers are terrible but even worse in Queensland and Victoria. I think it's a rule of thumb that the more official nannying there is in a jurisdiction, the worse the quality of the driving because nannying purges the incentive for drivers to think for themselves. So logically if you drive at 10 km/h under the speed limit in the right lane of the motorway you must be driving safely and nothing could ever possibly happen to you.
It's been a frustrating start to the week for me with muppets on the road, so I completely sympathise. It never ceased to amaze me how I could take a bus limited to 87km/h up the right hand land of the freeway, off-peak, and still overtake the masses in the two left lanes :shock: The mind boggles.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Merc1107 wrote: It's been a frustrating start to the week for me with muppets on the road, so I completely sympathise. It never ceased to amaze me how I could take a bus limited to 87km/h up the right hand land of the freeway, off-peak, and still overtake the masses in the two left lanes :shock: The mind boggles.
One reason I appreciate the public transport system in Perth is that after my first visit using a hire car I swore I'd never drive in Perth again. I've driven extensively in three continents and Perth freaks me out, though maybe not as much as Victoria and Qld. :lol:

Now I cop it as a pedestrian and I'm not sure which is worse as there's almost no traffic-calming infrastructure or pedestrian crossings in Perth, so it's a zombie-like roaring flow day and night, back streets as well, with few breaks to cross the road. It spoils an otherwise beautiful laid-back city. I take my hat off to Transperth bus drivers and their amazing timekeeping amidst all this though!

The quality of Sydney drivers has declined a lot over the years, however. You can still see the old alertness, initiative and intelligence in country drivers but not so much in Sydney any longer.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

tonyp wrote:I've driven extensively in three continents and Perth freaks me out, though maybe not as much as Victoria and Qld.
It's funny, people I speak to say "People think Perth is bad, you should try driving in Victoria!" It must be a reference to congestion, although around these parts Victorian-plated vehicles are often zigging and zagging all over the road and there are all manner of crude jokes about them, and their "The Place to Be" number-plates :?
tonyp wrote:Now I cop it as a pedestrian and I'm not sure which is worse as there's almost no traffic-calming infrastructure or pedestrian crossings in Perth, so it's a zombie-like roaring flow day and night, back streets as well, with few breaks to cross the road. It spoils an otherwise beautiful laid-back city. I take my hat off to Transperth bus drivers and their amazing timekeeping amidst all this though!
Fremantle has traffic calming measures at those roundabouts on Queen St... The pedestrian crossings. No joke - it's illegal (or so I'm told), but the council somehow worked around it...
I agree, being a pedestrian is a tricky task in Perth CBD, given poorly timed traffic lights that make you (and everyone else on the road) wait an eternity. Then you have silly design mistakes, like Perth Underground Stn and Perth Busport not being connected by an underground tunnel!
Swift

Post by Swift »

Queensland is it's own category with the level of awful driving.
When I started a thread on my bad experiences driving in Brisbane, compared to relatively civilised Sydney in 2003, I copped instant vitriol and name calling from triggered Qld posters here :lol: .
The admin had to shut it down, but I got my point across loud and clear.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Swift wrote:Queensland is it's own category with the level of awful driving.
When I started a thread on my bad experiences driving in Brisbane, compared to relatively civilised Sydney in 2003, I copped instant vitriol and name calling from triggered Qld posters here :lol: .
The admin had to shut it down, but I got my point across loud and clear.
Well coming back to the M7, I wouldn't be surprised if the M7 with two lanes each way and with at least some lane discipline throughputs more vehicles per hour than the Gold Coast Motorway with something like four lanes each way and traffic spread out all across it like Browns Cows (even the police don't know how to drive) and ambling along at different speeds unrelated to the lane they're in, so that if you want to pass at a faster speed you have to weave in and out between them like a dodgem race. It's one thing throwing money at road capacity but if the drivers who use the road can't use it efficiently it's just money down the drain.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”