Station Link Observations

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Station Link Observations

Post by Fleet Lists »

I have the same ideology but I suspect we have different boundaries.
Living in the Shire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

It took me a while, but I know what you're getting at. :!:
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Qantas94Heavy

Post by Qantas94Heavy »

Swift wrote:^ which means most are, but all should be doing it by now.
There is an end to this mediocre service in sight at least.
Most appear to be doing so fine now, even the CDC drivers. Ironically I did see a marshal telling people not to get out at the back at Macquarie Uni because "there's a pole in front of here". It was a good 1.5 metres away from the door! :roll:
Swift

Post by Swift »

I've yet to ride the service. I better get in quick lest I miss all this excitement. :roll:
iamthouth

Post by iamthouth »

The recommencement of SL7 has been brought forward a week, to the 18th Feb.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

^Cater for Macquarie Uni O-Week which starts from 18th of Feb.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

Will there be a mass retirement of Hillsbus and Transdev buses the day after the metro opens?
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Probably not on that exact day ,but most likely within a few weeks
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

From what I understood, the Stationlink buses from Hillsbus (the Volgren Optimus) will all go to the Hunter Valley instead. So Hillsbus’ old troops probably still have yet a way to go, but I don’t mind, I find them unique and more character. The one I was on not too long ago even had pull the rope as a stop button, how cute.

It’s the Transdev Station Link Bustechs I think that will stay in Sydney and as such most likely displace some ageing vehicles
swtt

Post by swtt »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:From what I understood, the Stationlink buses from Hillsbus (the Volgren Optimus) will all go to the Hunter Valley instead. So Hillsbus’ old troops probably still have yet a way to go, but I don’t mind, I find them unique and more character. The one I was on not too long ago even had pull the rope as a stop button, how cute.

It’s the Transdev Station Link Bustechs I think that will stay in Sydney and as such most likely displace some ageing vehicles
What about the impending Carlingford Line shutdown when the Parramatta Light Rail commences construction? :shock: :lol:
GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

swtt wrote:
Jurassic_Joke wrote:From what I understood, the Stationlink buses from Hillsbus (the Volgren Optimus) will all go to the Hunter Valley instead. So Hillsbus’ old troops probably still have yet a way to go, but I don’t mind, I find them unique and more character. The one I was on not too long ago even had pull the rope as a stop button, how cute.

What about the impending Carlingford Line shutdown when the Parramatta Light Rail commences construction? :shock: :lol:
I think they will require only a less than a quarter of the station link buses.

I spoke to a station link driver who would use artarmon as a rest bay, he said that most of the station link drivers will be moved to bankstown for the bankstown replacement buses while they do works to the bankstown line for the metro. I wonder how will that work differently since Bankstown line will be a bigger job than ECRL.
White ribbon day is most sexist thing ever
swtt

Post by swtt »

GazzaOak wrote:
I spoke to a station link driver who would use artarmon as a rest bay, he said that most of the station link drivers will be moved to bankstown for the bankstown replacement buses while they do works to the bankstown line for the metro. I wonder how will that work differently since Bankstown line will be a bigger job than ECRL.

The other thing with Bankstown is that where will the drivers go in the interim? Wrapping up StationLink in early May this year, but Bankstown shutdown probably won't happen until later next year or even 2021/2022? It's meant to be a one-year shutdown, so if SMC&SW is opening in 2024, it could be as late as 2023 before those drivers are "needed" again! :P
GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

swtt wrote:
GazzaOak wrote:

The other thing with Bankstown is that where will the drivers go in the interim? Wrapping up StationLink in early May this year, but Bankstown shutdown probably won't happen until later next year or even 2021/2022? It's meant to be a one-year shutdown, so if SMC&SW is opening in 2024, it could be as late as 2023 before those drivers are "needed" again! :P
I feel they will be offered job all around the network. I highly doubt the government will leave them in the lurch.

He said he personally will be moved to a depot in Bankstown, and then when 2023 comes along, the comapines or government may offer those same station link guys another job doing bankstown replacements.
White ribbon day is most sexist thing ever
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

It is not uncommon for work contracts to be offered for a limited period, with no guarantee of extension or alternative work.

If this driver is moved to "a depot in Bankstown", what sort of position would he have that allows switching to that SL line when the time comes, without needing a replacement?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

I think the work on each line for the bus replacements will most likely be recontracted.
The Station link services was a joint venture contract between Hillsbus and Transdev for the course of the replacement on Epping-Chatswood with the arrangements being that the buses bought new are retained by each operator and then used for replacement of older buses within each companies operations.
Any operator(s)could get the contract for subsequent rail replacement jobs.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

burrumbus wrote:Any operator(s)could get the contract for subsequent rail replacement jobs
and not necessarily Hillsbus and/or Transdev.
Living in the Shire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

This was a rather rare instance of two private operators, with likely differing concepts of how to run a bus operation, cooperating on this. Quite historic. I'm surprised how few pictures have surfaced here. Riff-raff book probably have tonnes.
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

it seems to me, they can get 80% of the work at Parramatta done , before they need to shut down Carlingford.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

That will only be a minor job compared with the current StationLink.
Living in the Shire.
gilberations

Post by gilberations »

Stationlink buses have been seen doing Springwood - Penrith replacements.

Perhaps the fleet could be redeployed to be regular trackwork / emergency trackwork buses after the metro opens
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Why? There are already plenty of other buses available to do that. It is much more useful to keep them in regular work, replacing older buses as is intended.
Living in the Shire.
CityRail

Post by CityRail »

I wonder whether all StationLink buses will be discontinued once or sometime when Metro is commenced operations.

I do think some StationLink routes have its value and perhaps they should be kept. For example:

SL3 Beecroft - St Leonards via Macquarie Park & Macquarie University: This could convert to a new bus route from North Sydney - West Pennant Hills via St Leonards and Macquarie University, which will ease congestion on the Northern and Metro.
SL4 Macquarie University to St Leonards should be extended to City (Wynyard), as going on M2 from Wynyard to Macquarie on a bus will only take 20 minutes, as opposed to 40 minutes on rail.
SL5 Eastwood - Should be retained and perhaps can cut back 544 and 545 to Eastwood only.
SL7 Epping to Macquarie University campus - Should retain as a limited time service and enable some bus routes like 288, 291 to cut beyond Macquarie and improve run times.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

gilberations wrote:Stationlink buses have been seen doing Springwood - Penrith replacements.

Perhaps the fleet could be redeployed to be regular trackwork / emergency trackwork buses after the metro opens
They could redeploy the fleet, but where will they get enough drivers on short notice.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

CityRail wrote:I wonder whether all StationLink buses will be discontinued once or sometime when Metro is commenced operations.

I do think some StationLink routes have its value and perhaps they should be kept. For example:

SL3 Beecroft - St Leonards via Macquarie Park & Macquarie University: This could convert to a new bus route from North Sydney - West Pennant Hills via St Leonards and Macquarie University, which will ease congestion on the Northern and Metro.
SL4 Macquarie University to St Leonards should be extended to City (Wynyard), as going on M2 from Wynyard to Macquarie on a bus will only take 20 minutes, as opposed to 40 minutes on rail.
SL5 Eastwood - Should be retained and perhaps can cut back 544 and 545 to Eastwood only.
SL7 Epping to Macquarie University campus - Should retain as a limited time service and enable some bus routes like 288, 291 to cut beyond Macquarie and improve run times.
Just my tuppence worth-

SL3 - Would be worth continuing as an interim measure until the metro is extended to the CBD, taking some pressure off interchange congestion at Epping and Chatswood, but beyond that I have my doubts whether it would be warranted.
SL4 - Agree, but only in the contra-peak direction until the metro begins operation direct from the CBD.
SL5 - I assume you mean cutting back 544 and 545 at Eastwood from Auburn and Parramatta, requiring a change to reach Macquarie Park. I don't see that as an improvement. 544 services a different route between Eastwood and Macquarie Park to 545 which virtually mirrors the SL5 service, so I don't see a need for SL5 to be continued.
SL7 - Why would you bother when the metro (or even the previous Sydney Trains' service for that matter) is operating? It was 4 minutes from Epping to Macquarie University by train and the metro is likely to be about the same because of the speed limiting curves. It would be a stretch for the bus to beat that timing, so what's the point of it? Just let 288 and 291 continue their respective roles as intended, which includes servicing Macquarie Centre.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

I have been made aware that the Stationlink fleet and drivers will initially remain with some overlaps, then more as a standby in case something goes wrong. Progressive reductions will occur over the coming weeks/months after the opening of the Metro. Stationlink is also required for some planned Metro nighttime closedowns for maintenance/testing/checks. All still subject to refinements and finalisation.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”