Page 2 of 2

Re: Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:33 pm
by Citybus
boronia wrote:Sad part was, I think he was serious. So much for knowledgeable staff.

But perhaps Campbelltown, and subsequent passengers are allocated to this carriage.

Perhaps Citybus could observe this when he travels


Everyone was in cars A and B, no matter which station they boarded the train. Car C was empty. Most passengers got on at Central, with only a few passengers in Campbelltown. Less than 10 passengers got in after that.

Re: Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:36 pm
by Citybus
boronia wrote:I couldn't predict for that particular service, but I would say that a departure at that time would normally have light loadings.

It is too early for day trippers returning, and too late for locals planning a night out in Sydney.


I was surprised to see 2 coaches depart Canberra at the same time. The one I was in was about half full, while the other one looked like half full as well. Maybe the other coached needed to reposition to Sydney, hence 2 simultaneous departures.

Re: Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:34 pm
by boronia
Must be busier than I thought. Murrays usually guarantee seats, so if one coach is filled, they will run a second division (or more). And the loadings on the return may also warrant two coaches being rostered, quite common now on Sunday nights.

Back in the days I was involved in the running of these services, we had just two coaches running 3 services each way per day.

What was your verdict on the trip?

Re: Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:44 pm
by Citybus
boronia wrote:Must be busier than I thought. Murrays usually guarantee seats, so if one coach is filled, they will run a second division (or more). And the loadings on the return may also warrant two coaches being rostered, quite common now on Sunday nights.

Back in the days I was involved in the running of these services, we had just two coaches running 3 services each way per day.

What was your verdict on the trip?


The train would be my choice if time was not important. Coach was more direct. Anyway, I still prefer driving my own car.

Re: Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:05 am
by tonyp
boronia wrote:Checking the regional web page, it was amusing to see one of the options TrainLink offers is a 10+hr option - train to Cootamunra, 4 hr break, then bus back to Canberra.

I've found a few of those, like a 24 hour Temora to Sydney journey via Batemans Bay involving umpteen changes of mode! It even included dumping you off the direct Premier coach to Sydney at Bomaderry and putting you on the snail train.

Re: Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:31 pm
by Citybus
tonyp wrote:
boronia wrote:Checking the regional web page, it was amusing to see one of the options TrainLink offers is a 10+hr option - train to Cootamunra, 4 hr break, then bus back to Canberra.

I've found a few of those, like a 24 hour Temora to Sydney journey via Batemans Bay involving umpteen changes of mode! It even included dumping you off the direct Premier coach to Sydney at Bomaderry and putting you on the snail train.


Nothing better than the scenic route!!!!

Re: Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:34 pm
by Citybus
Loved the Canberra Xplorer so much that I booked the XPT to Melbourne. $130 for 2 seems like a good deal.

Re: Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:00 pm
by boronia
I did an overnighter SYD-MEL a few years back. It was very uncomfortable for sleeping, or even just relaxing. Get yourself one of those neck pillows for head support.

Re: Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:06 pm
by Citybus
boronia wrote:I did an overnighter SYD-MEL a few years back. It was very uncomfortable for sleeping, or even just relaxing. Get yourself one of those neck pillows for head support.


I'm doing the day service. Having heard all the squeaking on the Xplorer last Saturday, I don't think I could put myself through the horror of an overnighter.