• Advertisement

Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion

Re: Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

Postby Citybus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:33 pm

boronia wrote:Sad part was, I think he was serious. So much for knowledgeable staff.

But perhaps Campbelltown, and subsequent passengers are allocated to this carriage.

Perhaps Citybus could observe this when he travels


Everyone was in cars A and B, no matter which station they boarded the train. Car C was empty. Most passengers got on at Central, with only a few passengers in Campbelltown. Less than 10 passengers got in after that.
Last edited by Citybus on Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Citybus
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 5:13 pm
Location: Sydney and Hong Kong
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

Postby Citybus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:36 pm

boronia wrote:I couldn't predict for that particular service, but I would say that a departure at that time would normally have light loadings.

It is too early for day trippers returning, and too late for locals planning a night out in Sydney.


I was surprised to see 2 coaches depart Canberra at the same time. The one I was in was about half full, while the other one looked like half full as well. Maybe the other coached needed to reposition to Sydney, hence 2 simultaneous departures.
Citybus
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 5:13 pm
Location: Sydney and Hong Kong
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

Postby boronia » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:34 pm

Must be busier than I thought. Murrays usually guarantee seats, so if one coach is filled, they will run a second division (or more). And the loadings on the return may also warrant two coaches being rostered, quite common now on Sunday nights.

Back in the days I was involved in the running of these services, we had just two coaches running 3 services each way per day.

What was your verdict on the trip?
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
User avatar
boronia
 
Posts: 17689
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:18 am
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 1610 times
Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Re: Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

Postby Citybus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:44 pm

boronia wrote:Must be busier than I thought. Murrays usually guarantee seats, so if one coach is filled, they will run a second division (or more). And the loadings on the return may also warrant two coaches being rostered, quite common now on Sunday nights.

Back in the days I was involved in the running of these services, we had just two coaches running 3 services each way per day.

What was your verdict on the trip?


The train would be my choice if time was not important. Coach was more direct. Anyway, I still prefer driving my own car.
Citybus
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 5:13 pm
Location: Sydney and Hong Kong
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

Postby tonyp » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:05 am

boronia wrote:Checking the regional web page, it was amusing to see one of the options TrainLink offers is a 10+hr option - train to Cootamunra, 4 hr break, then bus back to Canberra.

I've found a few of those, like a 24 hour Temora to Sydney journey via Batemans Bay involving umpteen changes of mode! It even included dumping you off the direct Premier coach to Sydney at Bomaderry and putting you on the snail train.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
User avatar
tonyp
 
Posts: 7450
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:31 am
Location: Shoalhaven
Has thanked: 763 times
Been thanked: 886 times

Re: Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

Postby Citybus » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:31 pm

tonyp wrote:
boronia wrote:Checking the regional web page, it was amusing to see one of the options TrainLink offers is a 10+hr option - train to Cootamunra, 4 hr break, then bus back to Canberra.

I've found a few of those, like a 24 hour Temora to Sydney journey via Batemans Bay involving umpteen changes of mode! It even included dumping you off the direct Premier coach to Sydney at Bomaderry and putting you on the snail train.


Nothing better than the scenic route!!!!
Citybus
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 5:13 pm
Location: Sydney and Hong Kong
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

Postby Citybus » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:34 pm

Loved the Canberra Xplorer so much that I booked the XPT to Melbourne. $130 for 2 seems like a good deal.
Citybus
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 5:13 pm
Location: Sydney and Hong Kong
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

Postby boronia » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:00 pm

I did an overnighter SYD-MEL a few years back. It was very uncomfortable for sleeping, or even just relaxing. Get yourself one of those neck pillows for head support.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
User avatar
boronia
 
Posts: 17689
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:18 am
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 1610 times
Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Re: Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

Postby Citybus » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:06 pm

boronia wrote:I did an overnighter SYD-MEL a few years back. It was very uncomfortable for sleeping, or even just relaxing. Get yourself one of those neck pillows for head support.


I'm doing the day service. Having heard all the squeaking on the Xplorer last Saturday, I don't think I could put myself through the horror of an overnighter.
Citybus
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 5:13 pm
Location: Sydney and Hong Kong
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Previous


  • Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Sydney / NSW

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests