S Set Retirement

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Scott4570

Re: S Set Retirement

Post by Scott4570 »

idontknow556 wrote:Does anyone know whether there is an updated version of Sydney Trains fleet lists/Track Record fleet lists? Thanks.
As I mentioned in my post from July 26, it has been policy for some years now that the Fleet of sets have been maintained in their 4car blocks, or in the case of A sets, 8car blocks.

Therefore, the Track Record Fleet Lists are still relevant today.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Another unsubstantiated rumour and keep in mind that it is after mid August right now. They wont go until at least some of the B sets are in service.
Living in the Shire.
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

Yes and the S sets will gradually come off the tracks, as I mentioned in one of my previous posts, Sydney Trains told me they'll retain some s sets in their Heritage fleet. The B sets should be in service around next month or so.

Regards,

Bus883&1022
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Fleet Lists wrote:That is a fairly vague question. There have been a number of these over the years so I am not sure which one you are referring to. The most recent one I used to use has disappeared - it was maintained by a contributor to this board but dont remember his name and the lists have gone for a while now.
Does anyone else think it's ironic that a person who calls himself "Fleet Lists" doesn't know where the fleet lists come from?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Not at all- no one knows everything these days. And my name initially referred to the Bus Fleet Lists I created - Trains are not my specialty.
Living in the Shire.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

I am not sure how many S sets will be retained by Sydney Trains in their heritage fleet but one set has already been retained.

C3805-T4150-C3814.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Sydney Trains would probably keep quite a few S sets even after the B sets are introduced. They probably won’t be retired until OSCARs are cascaded to suburban operations. Maybe S sets could be in passenger service until they are 50 years old.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

That's correct. I've heard they'll keep a few for emergency purposes until the OScars are cascaded. It will be an extremely rare sight to see an S set after all the B sets enter service.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

idontknow556 wrote:I am not sure how many S sets will be retained by Sydney Trains in their heritage fleet but one set has already been retained.

C3805-T4150-C3814.
When we refer to trains to be retained here we are not talking about trains in the heritage fleet which are not available for daily use, but trains which are retained and available for daily use if required so C3805 etc is not retained from that perspective.
Living in the Shire.
MotorOmnibus8562

Correct Fleet lists, In my previous post, as I mentioned, Sydney trains Told me the S sets will be retained for Heritage tours and stuff like that so people in the future can learn about the History of the NSWGR (New South Wales Government Railways)

Regards

Bus883&1022
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

idontknow556 wrote: I've heard they'll keep a few for emergency purposes until the OScars are cascaded. It will be an extremely rare sight to see an S set after all the B sets enter service.
Unless patronage keeps booming .
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Bus883&1022 wrote:Correct Fleet lists, In my previous post, as I mentioned, Sydney trains Told me the S sets will be retained for Heritage tours and stuff like that so people in the future can learn about the History of the NSWGR (New South Wales Government Railways)

Regards

Bus883&1022
I doubt that they would need to keep more than one for that purpose.
Living in the Shire.
MotorOmnibus8562

Agreed, Fleet Lists.

Well, they somehow managed to retain the Red Rattler F set, there are a couple of old carriages I know are in random places, One of them I know is in Richmond.

When I used to live in Sydney in a period of 2010-2011 I saw a Pinkish-Brown train which was abandoned in a siding just West of Valley Hieghts Station.

I reckon they will only retain a few of them, they might go up for sale but who knows.

Regards,

Bus883&1022
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Carriages at Valley heights would be associated with the museum there. Not exactly abandoned.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

Have any S Sets been withdrawn yet?
boronia

Post by boronia »

A lot were scrapped 3 or 4 years ago.
@ The Museum of Fire.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

If there’s no B set in revenue service, then it’s safe to assume that the corresponding S set that it’s meant to replace is still running around.
boronia

Post by boronia »

The current resurgence of S sets seems to be due to service growth.

The introduction of B sets will probably see displaced S sets going back into reserve for a while.

B3 has been here for over a month, but I haven't seen anything newer since.
@ The Museum of Fire.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

Has anyone been on a S set during a 40 degree day?
boronia

Post by boronia »

Quite a few times, after they had been sitting in Nth Sydney CS for a few hours. But at least they had windows you could open (not that much air got in anyway). I got used to it.
@ The Museum of Fire.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

I'm sure plenty have been on S-Sets and predecessor on hot days. Air Con is a fairly recent addition to all forms of public transport.

In general I've always found them to be cooler than the platform temp.
GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

swtt wrote:
Probably the first round of Tangara replacements! :P
that quickly.... i highly doubt government will replace tangaras within the next 20 years....
White ribbon day is most sexist thing ever
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

The last time my wife and I went to Sydney from the south coast by public transport (the day of the "never again" moment!), we stumbled out of the Oscar at Redfern, our bums and backs completely totalled by those seats, and got onto an S set out to Westmead and immediately sunk into a state of blissful relief at the comfort of the S set seats after a couple of hours on an Oscar. I don't care about the air conditioning, they should keep the S sets and get rid of the Oscars!
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

They are actually quieter and smoother than the A sets.
They must have felt like the future in 1972.
Does anyone know if the Tulloch motor cars sounded similar, using the same Mitsubishi traction motors?
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
MotorOmnibus8562

tonyp wrote:The last time my wife and I went to Sydney from the south coast by public transport (the day of the "never again" moment!), we stumbled out of the Oscar at Redfern, our bums and backs completely totalled by those seats, and got onto an S set out to Westmead and immediately sunk into a state of blissful relief at the comfort of the S set seats after a couple of hours on an Oscar. I don't care about the air conditioning, they should keep the S sets and get rid of the Oscars!
Some people like the newer trains, those that don’t break down as often as the Older ones, some S sets may be retained for the heritage fleet or At least it’s what Sydney told me. The steam trains date back to the early twentieth century, and there are still some around today, mostly in museums with some occasionally going out on the tracks for heritage tours. The Red ‘Rattler’ occasionally comes out for heritage tours and there are some S set carriages preserved into rail houses, If I recall correctly there was an S set carriage at The Train Shed theme park, which closed back in 2014, The S sets will occasionally come out for heritage tours, there was once four S set Carriages coupled to a row af AK carriages in 2014.

There are likely to be a few S sets being retained for the Sydney railway museum, all the others may come up for sale for rail houses. There are people that like to learn about the history of the NSWGR (New South Wales Government Railways)
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”