• Advertisement

STA Observations - July to December 2018

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby tonyp » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:07 pm

Merc1107 wrote: We have a significant number of 'marshals' at Perth Stadium to assist with the egress trips after an event. Without them, I suspect even the fiercest bus drivers yelling "Right the way to the back please!" wouldn't get the buses to capacity. We face a significant 'psychological barrier' (if that is the correct term for it) in that many passengers want, and are used to getting, a seat on public transport even for a comparatively short journey. So they will try to wait for the next service. The marshals are there to pack them on and will hopefully aid in conditioning passengers to full-standing loads on buses.

Don't you have all-door loading at events there? That should get people loaded directly into the back and thus defeat the reluctance to move all the way to the back from the front door. Anyway, marshalls who pack them in are a benefit. It's the ones who make a decision that the vehicle is full when it isn't who are the problem.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
User avatar
tonyp
 
Posts: 7637
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:31 am
Location: Shoalhaven
Has thanked: 824 times
Been thanked: 947 times

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby Swift » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:43 pm

The only way to get the transport tyrants to sit up and take notice is humiliation by media. Individuals and even individual groups on their own will only elicit lip service.
Letters to newspapers its a start. Even contacting ACA and being prepared to appear on it.
2582 in George Street Haymarket 2005.
User avatar
Swift
 
Posts: 9890
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:23 pm
Location: Ettalong- the world capital of 0405s.
Has thanked: 568 times
Been thanked: 457 times
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby rogf24 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:39 pm

Swift wrote:The only way to get the transport tyrants to sit up and take notice is humiliation by media. Individuals and even individual groups on their own will only elicit lip service.
Letters to newspapers its a start. Even contacting ACA and being prepared to appear on it.

Would you care to take the lead Mr Neville Wran?
User avatar
rogf24
 
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 4:20 pm
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 151 times

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby Swift » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:08 pm

rogf24 wrote:
Swift wrote:The only way to get the transport tyrants to sit up and take notice is humiliation by media. Individuals and even individual groups on their own will only elicit lip service.
Letters to newspapers its a start. Even contacting ACA and being prepared to appear on it.

Would you care to take the lead Mr Neville Wran?

Once I blacken my hair.
2582 in George Street Haymarket 2005.
User avatar
Swift
 
Posts: 9890
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:23 pm
Location: Ettalong- the world capital of 0405s.
Has thanked: 568 times
Been thanked: 457 times
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby rogf24 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:54 am

I saw a 333 Bondi branded bus doing the M40 at Chatswood.
User avatar
rogf24
 
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 4:20 pm
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 151 times

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby Swift » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:57 pm

rogf24 wrote:I saw a 333 Bondi branded bus doing the M40 at Chatswood.

Effectively being AOA for the service in other areas. That was probably the main function of the all over wrap all along.
2582 in George Street Haymarket 2005.
User avatar
Swift
 
Posts: 9890
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:23 pm
Location: Ettalong- the world capital of 0405s.
Has thanked: 568 times
Been thanked: 457 times
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby lunchbox » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:53 pm

LETTERS TO THE TRANSPORT MINISTER............
His Electoral (Bega) office will NOT accept emails for forwarding to his Ministerial office.
Appropriately, his Bega office is in Carp Street.........
lunchbox
 
Posts: 1407
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:50 pm
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 247 times
Been thanked: 132 times
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby Richard290 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:20 pm

Spotted 2835 on a Carlingford Court bound 513 service at Coleman Avenue and Pennant Hills Road on Friday evening with ridiculously tiny front desto text - which seems to be the case with the wrong desto file being uploaded in the system software.
Living at the north end of the T6 Line, 513 and the confluence of M54, 513, 546, 549, 553, 625 & 630.
Also living a mile from the Oakes Road interchange.
User avatar
Richard290
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:39 am
Location: Carlingford, NSW
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby Swift » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:45 pm

^Before it was dirty manual destos , now this.
STA never fail to disappoint do they?
2582 in George Street Haymarket 2005.
User avatar
Swift
 
Posts: 9890
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:23 pm
Location: Ettalong- the world capital of 0405s.
Has thanked: 568 times
Been thanked: 457 times
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby sunnyyan » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:11 pm

^ I believe it happens when the flipdot file is accidentally uploaded, because flipdots have a much lower resolution than the LED destos.
The new Volgren Optimus' at Kingsgrove went around for a while with the last digit of the route number on the side desto cut off, because I think the side desto has a different size to other buses.
sunnyyan
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:39 pm
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 29 times
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 Evo I CNG

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby Swift » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:26 pm

They need to get with the programming then. :lol:
2582 in George Street Haymarket 2005.
User avatar
Swift
 
Posts: 9890
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:23 pm
Location: Ettalong- the world capital of 0405s.
Has thanked: 568 times
Been thanked: 457 times
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby boronia » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:28 am

Report in the Telegraph on line of a bus fire on Harbour Bridge last night. Unable to determine what bus involved.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2019
@ The Museum of Fire.
User avatar
boronia
 
Posts: 17936
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:18 am
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 259 times
Been thanked: 1636 times
Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby boronia » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:36 pm

boronia wrote:Report in the Telegraph on line of a bus fire on Harbour Bridge last night. Unable to determine what bus involved.

Reports now mention that it was a bus load of "wedding guests" so presumably NOT STA
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2019
@ The Museum of Fire.
User avatar
boronia
 
Posts: 17936
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:18 am
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 259 times
Been thanked: 1636 times
Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby boronia » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:56 pm

Noticed yesterday on the bus service apps that Telstra had a data service outage from around 8.30 am, resulting in no real time information on services. Wasn't fully restored until 11 am today. A lot of EFTPOS terminals were also affected. Opal terminals on buses seemed to be working okay though.

Frustrating to be going back to the old days when you didn't know when the next bus would be along.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2019
@ The Museum of Fire.
User avatar
boronia
 
Posts: 17936
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:18 am
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 259 times
Been thanked: 1636 times
Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby Fleet Lists » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:25 pm

There was a message on Transport Info about this and it applied to all bus operators and not just STA.
Living in the Shire.
User avatar
Fleet Lists
Administrator
 
Posts: 20396
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:49 am
Location: The Shire
Has thanked: 1005 times
Been thanked: 1102 times

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby boronia » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:09 pm

boronia wrote:
boronia wrote:Report in the Telegraph on line of a bus fire on Harbour Bridge last night. Unable to determine what bus involved.

Reports now mention that it was a bus load of "wedding guests" so presumably NOT STA

Some footage on Ch 10 news tonight suggests it might have been a NSBC vehicle.

Posted in the private operator section.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2019
@ The Museum of Fire.
User avatar
boronia
 
Posts: 17936
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:18 am
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 259 times
Been thanked: 1636 times
Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby sunnyyan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:15 pm

boronia wrote:Noticed yesterday on the bus service apps that Telstra had a data service outage from around 8.30 am, resulting in no real time information on services. Wasn't fully restored until 11 am today. A lot of EFTPOS terminals were also affected. Opal terminals on buses seemed to be working okay though.

Frustrating to be going back to the old days when you didn't know when the next bus would be along.


I believe the Opal terminals can stay on without a connection. They simply save the card data to the onboard storage and upload it when possible. The reader closes when the storage is full. Or possibly the issue was affecting the TfNSW servers, but it seems unlikely that their servers would have anything to do with 3G (which is what failed).
sunnyyan
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:39 pm
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 29 times
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 Evo I CNG

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby Stu » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:58 pm

The Telstra outage affected numerous functions - especially ptips which means no real time information for customers.
Stu
 
Posts: 3803
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:37 pm
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 458 times

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby Jurassic_Joke » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:50 pm

Yep, STA have managed to (in my opinion) ruin the 400. Should've gone completely to Transit Systems. The changes from September have been in place for just over a month now, and my own satisfaction rating is down, down down. Port Botanys Scania 14.5m's have actually become a complete scarcity on the route, replaced with Waverleys L113CRB which speaking realistically, is nothing more than a direct downgrade in capacity than what it replaced - 400 needs a capacity upgrade, not a downgrade, good job whoever thought that was a good idea. Then Bustech VSTM completely dominates the route as soon as the sun sets....this is just not appropriate. Sure, luckily the trajectory of the (old, overnight) 380 to the City have been almost freed of them, but what that really means is, is that the problem has just been sent elsewhere, and they couldn't have picked a worse candidate - route 400.

Not only is the bus hideously uncomfortable, but the capacity is just not suitable - from Bondi, the first stop on the route, outside the mall - an endless crowd will fill up what's left of the bus, which can't carry that many at all. Or if you start at the Airport. Coming home from Melbourne last week, a completely packed to the brim rattly VSTM is just about as a welcome-home as the Airport Station Access Fee...blurgh. Just, no. Next time im getting the 420, operated by Transit Systems, with proper sized buses, to Burwood and train-ing home it thereafter.

There are some good alternatives though. Between Bondi and Randwick/UNSW. 348 and 357 are some pretty good alternatives, from now on, only using those two after hours now between Bondi and Kensington. 348 is run by Transit Systems, so 0 chance of a VSTM. 357, I notice, Randwick is actually almost fully in charge of this route. It's always either a Volvo B12BLE or a CB80. Yet funnily, 357 runs almost empty at night, and still gets full sized buses from Randwick, yet look what kind of treatment the 400 gets?? Are they seriously just trying to make the 400 look as bad as possible so people just get the message and catch the train? Several, inaccessible anti-luggage high floor L113CRB's during the daytime (even on weekends!), and then nasty sardine cans VSTMs to take over as soon as night falls? Honestly, while the 333 getting a turn up and go + 24/7 service, with most services being artics, I strongly welcome, the 400, I'm sorely disappointed in with its recent changes.
Scania K280UB CB80 > Volvo B7RLE CB80

Millennium > Waratah
User avatar
Jurassic_Joke
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:08 pm
Location: North Snore
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 105 times
Favourite Vehicle: STA Scania K280UB CC CB80

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby Frosty » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:05 pm

In all fairness P does operate a significant portion of 400 trips including Airport departures. At least with P they provide full size buses with the nice new Volvo B8RLEs. For Port Botany 14.5m Buses are old with them becoming peak only and the bendy buses operating at other times along Anzac Parade. Though last week I saw 14.5m Scania on the 309 a rarity.

Has anyone noticed the 400 heading to Bondi Jn goes via Belmore Rd & Cook St instead of Avoca St meanwhile 348 still goes via Avoca St.
Frosty
 
Posts: 1753
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:16 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 114 times

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby J_Busworth » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:20 am

Frosty wrote:In all fairness P does operate a significant portion of 400 trips including Airport departures. At least with P they provide full size buses with the nice new Volvo B8RLEs. For Port Botany 14.5m Buses are old with them becoming peak only and the bendy buses operating at other times along Anzac Parade. Though last week I saw 14.5m Scania on the 309 a rarity.

Has anyone noticed the 400 heading to Bondi Jn goes via Belmore Rd & Cook St instead of Avoca St meanwhile 348 still goes via Avoca St.


Yes, the route is now supposed to go via Belmore and Cook - the doesn’t stop some drivers from going straight along Avoca though. It seems that going down Belmore takes at least a few minutes longer than Avoca, so actually makes the 348 quicker from Barker Street if they come at the same time. The 400 mainly seems to be W Citaros and VSTMs and P Citaros with the occasional 14.5 during the peak. The bus that leaves Bondi for Eastgardens around 7:25 has consistently been a 14.5 over the past month - it is usually the only one that isn’t standing room headed that way around that time.
https://transportnsw.wordpress.com
Eternally waiting for the Eastern Suburbs rail line to make it to Randwick
J_Busworth
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:56 am
Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby tonyp » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:39 am

Jurassic_Joke wrote:Yep, STA have managed to (in my opinion) ruin the 400.

Think Gong Shuttle. TfNSW/Treasury (one and the same) light up with panic when a service becomes too successful, because the more people use it, the more it costs, so they try any subtle or unsubtle methods they can to put the lid on it. I'd point the blame at T(reasury)fNSW rather than STA. The officially preferred method of providing public transport in NSW is for people to provide their own in their own automobile, carrying their own costs.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
User avatar
tonyp
 
Posts: 7637
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:31 am
Location: Shoalhaven
Has thanked: 824 times
Been thanked: 947 times

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby gld59 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:29 pm

If the 400 has mostly been given to Waverley, what choice do they have? Their fleet comprises gassies (if I understand correctly, used less at night because they need more frequent refuelling than diesels), artics (mostly intended for 333, and prohibited from 400 in any case unless route adjusted at Eastgardens), VSTMs, and a whole *7* standard diesels.
gld59
 
Posts: 1389
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:30 pm
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby LongliveSTA » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:21 pm

gld59 wrote:If the 400 has mostly been given to Waverley, what choice do they have? Their fleet comprises gassies (if I understand correctly, used less at night because they need more frequent refuelling than diesels), artics (mostly intended for 333, and prohibited from 400 in any case unless route adjusted at Eastgardens), VSTMs, and a whole *7* standard diesels.

It's actually a more even split between the other Eastern Depots. Out of the Airport terminating trips, it's roughly a 50/50 split between W and P.
Out of the Eastgardens trips, it's about 40% W, 20% R, and 40% P.
LONG LIVE STA, the best bus operator in AUSTRALIA!!
User avatar
LongliveSTA
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:57 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Postby In Transit » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:06 am

tonyp wrote:
Jurassic_Joke wrote:Yep, STA have managed to (in my opinion) ruin the 400.

Think Gong Shuttle. TfNSW/Treasury (one and the same) light up with panic when a service becomes too successful, because the more people use it, the more it costs, so they try any subtle or unsubtle methods they can to put the lid on it. I'd point the blame at T(reasury)fNSW rather than STA. The officially preferred method of providing public transport in NSW is for people to provide their own in their own automobile, carrying their own costs.


Tony, unfortunately your starting point here is to accept as factual a diatribe which fundamentally boils down to a dislike of the VSTM's. Whilst they aren't exactly my favourite bus and yes, they should be kept well away from the 400, to suggest the route has been "ruined" in an operational sense is pure hyperbole.
In Transit
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:13 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 110 times

PreviousNext


  • Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Sydney / NSW

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests