NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
andy_centralcoast

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Post by andy_centralcoast »

The indicator software is normally able to join subsequent runs together - eg at Strathfield it will show trains to Hornsby via Central, not just to Central where the run number changes.

I think this case last night was because the Penrith to Central via Bankstown services were actually entered into the system having the section from Auburn to Birrong classified as a non-revenue run with no passenger stops - that is probably what broke the indicators from joining the runs together.

The 3 runs for the Penrith to Central via Bankstown were:
  • 1. T1 Penrith to Auburn.
    2. Non-Revenue Berala to Regents Park.
    3. T3 Birrong to Central via Bankstown.
The lack of information/communication about service changes is becoming a joke though. Even the official Twitter accounts that usually post trackwork reminders have been silent this weekend.
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

PaulSEO wrote:I just know that next weekend will be a debacle. Let's see what happened last night:

After about 22:30 on the T1 line all trains destination indicator was Auburn. Also all platform indicators said Auburn. Even at Auburn (see the picture). At no stage was there any announcement at stations or on the train that the actual destination was a diversion to the City via Bankstown because of trackwork. The exception was at Granville there was a manual station announcement. This meant that at Auburn many people got off confused as to their next step. At intermediate stops, people just didn't board because they they assumed the train just went to Auburn and that one to the City would be coming later. I know because I went all the way from Penrith to Auburn. At Auburn I spoke to one guard and persuaded him to make an announcement over the train external PA. He explained that because the train would become a different run number after it left Auburn and that the indicator would show that City was now the destination.

This is a major fail by Sydney Trains. If the technology is inadequate because of this run number stupidity, then the guards and station staff should be making plenty of announcements that would have allowed hundreds of people to get home a lot earlier rather than spending time waiting at Auburn or other stations on a cold winter late night. Or put on more staff like the smart guy at Granville, who actually gave some help to people with useful information.

I called 131500 and was advised if people wanted to go to Central, that because of trackwork to take the replacement bus from Auburn. I explained that there were no buses. She eventually advised me to wait for a T2 train to Ashfield and take a bus from there. If properly briefed, she would have just said, oh those Auburn trains go to Central, just stay on them.
Auburn.jpg
Isn't it supposed to start from 11:30pm? :?

From 11.30pm Saturday until 5.30am Sunday
Trains run to a changed timetable between Penrith and the City via the T3 Bankstown Line.
Trains stop as normal to Granville, then Clyde, Auburn, Bankstown, Sydenham, Redfern, then run around the City Circle.
If you are travelling to the City, please remain on the train.
If you are travelling to stations between Lidcombe and Ashfield, please change at Granville for a T2 Inner West & Leppington Line train.
Buses replace all trains between Ashfield and Central.
andy_centralcoast

stupid_girl wrote: Isn't it supposed to start from 11:30pm? :?

From 11.30pm Saturday until 5.30am Sunday
Trains run to a changed timetable between Penrith and the City via the T3 Bankstown Line.
Trains stop as normal to Granville, then Clyde, Auburn, Bankstown, Sydenham, Redfern, then run around the City Circle.
If you are travelling to the City, please remain on the train.
If you are travelling to stations between Lidcombe and Ashfield, please change at Granville for a T2 Inner West & Leppington Line train.
Buses replace all trains between Ashfield and Central.
Started about an hour earlier.

The last T1 train from Penrith to Central via Strathfield was at 10:15pm... the 10:28pm diverted via Bankstown.

On T2, 10:08pm was the last service from Leppington through to the city. The next service at 10:38pm terminated at Ashfield.
10:40pm was the last local service from Homebush for the night.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Loving this Sunday service to sydenham this weekend t2/3/4/8 trains all stopping there and to a decent frequency aswell.
andy_centralcoast

Fleet Lists wrote:
andy_centralcoast wrote:Timetable alterations for T5 trains this week from 18:50 each night. transportnsw.info just says "Weeknight service changes. Some trains run to a changed timetable." This appears to be government spin for "Weeknight services cancelled. No trains run."
You seemed to intimate this was a permanent change but https://transportnsw.info/alerts/details#/6021914 reads as though it is for one week only.
3 weeks later and there's still no T5 trains running on weeknights, but no longer any alerts for this change on transportnsw.info.

The services have been removed from the Trip Planner, but they are still in the PDF timetable.

Some customers have noticed and asked the @trainsinfo twitter account if their services have been cancelled, but the questions are ignored and go unanswered.
sunnyyan
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 CNG

Post by sunnyyan »

Hoarding on platform 20/21 at Central, south of the 2nd set of stairs.
Also construction people on 22/23 at the same spot.

New gates have been placed in the North Concourse Elizabeth St entrance for a few months now but they are all still wrapped.
Engineering

Post by Engineering »

Impressive skip stop by run 156N this afternoon, Blacktown next stop Central, skipping major stations like Parramatta, Dtrathfield and Redfern, after 13 minute dwell at Blacktown.

https://anytrip.com.au/trip/2018-07-26/ ... 8.52323412
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Piece on 7News that City Circle completely shut this weekend as signals switched over from the 1970s Redfern Control room to the new Homebush centre.

First time City Circle completely shut impacting T1-T3 and T8 at various points over the weekend

https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/status/ ... 93632?s=19
boeing
Favourite Vehicle: Airbus A380

Post by boeing »

Engineering wrote:Impressive skip stop by run 156N this afternoon, Blacktown next stop Central, skipping major stations like Parramatta, Dtrathfield and Redfern, after 13 minute dwell at Blacktown.

https://anytrip.com.au/trip/2018-07-26/ ... 8.52323412
Somewhat irrelevant to your comment, but how do I use anytrip to see historic information like in your link?

Thanks in advance
Engineering

Post by Engineering »

boeing wrote: how do I use anytrip to see historic information like in your link?
I clicked on the train while it was live on the map, and then on the set of times on the left

I am guessing those hyperlinks don’t exist if the train has finished its run.

It looks like the hyperlink URL I specified has some type of structure, with the date and run number in the URL, it there seem to be other codes that I don’t understand.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

moa999 wrote:Piece on 7News that City Circle completely shut this weekend as signals switched over from the 1970s Redfern Control room to the new Homebush centre.

First time City Circle completely shut impacting T1-T3 and T8 at various points over the weekend

CBD Closedowns have been programmed at least once each 12 month period from 2000 up until 2012.

With the previous CBD Closedowns:-
1/ Macarthur Services (via the Airport Line) were tabled to run to and from Central Platform 23.
2/ North Shore Line services Terminated at Wynyard and North Sydney.
3/ Western Line and Epping services Terminated in Sydney Terminal.
This would allow them to work on the Flying Junctions.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Scott4570 wrote:
moa999 wrote:Piece on 7News that City Circle completely shut this weekend as signals switched over from the 1970s Redfern Control room to the new Homebush centre.

CBD Closedowns have been programmed at least once each 12 month period from 2000 up until 2012.

With the previous CBD Closedowns:-
1/ Macarthur Services (via the Airport Line) were tabled to run to and from Central Platform 23.
2/ North Shore Line services Terminated at Wynyard and North Sydney.
3/ Western Line and Epping services Terminated in Sydney Terminal.
This would allow them to work on the Flying Junctions.
Used to be called "Operation CBD".

Not sure what's the huge fuss.
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

Engineering wrote:
boeing wrote: how do I use anytrip to see historic information like in your link?
I clicked on the train while it was live on the map, and then on the set of times on the left

It looks like the hyperlink URL I specified has some type of structure, with the date and run number in the URL, it there seem to be other codes that I don’t understand.
I tried to change the date in the hyperlink to yesterday and it still works.
I think the website may have stored the data even the train has finished its run.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
sunnyyan
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 CNG

Post by sunnyyan »

Engineering wrote:

I don't fully understand the code as well, however I have figured out how to see the info for any train. It is quite complicated however.
1. Go to https://opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au/u ... =node/2671. You will need to create an account with Open Data.
2. Download the zip file and rename stop_times.txt to stop_times.csv
3. Open stop_times.csv with Excel or other spreadsheet software.
4. Find the service you want. You can manually look through the document or try using the Find function in Excel. I use a Python script.
Each trip in the document is listed with its arrive/depart time, stop code (e.g. 2194111) and destination.
5. Copy the trip_id (1st column) and paste into the end of the anytrip link after "au2:st:" (you can change the date through the link as well)

If you have any trouble you can PM me with the destination, station and time.
jxeeno

Post by jxeeno »

stupid_girl wrote:
Engineering wrote:

I tried to change the date in the hyperlink to yesterday and it still works.
I think the website may have stored the data even the train has finished its run.
The underlying real-time data is currently viewable to the public for about 48 hours from when the run starts, before it's archived for internal analysis. I'm working on making the historical data more discoverable -- if you have an idea, feel free to drop me a line :)
andy_centralcoast

Something that I would love to see done with the historical data is better on time running statistics down to the service - similar to what has been done with the Bus Shaming website.

The other day I had to get to the airport before 7am, and knowing beforehand that the 4:58 from Gosford arrived at Central on time every day last week would be very reassuring, or knowing that it's often late into Central or cancelled would have me getting an even earlier train!
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Incidents like train breakdowns, signal failures or people jumping in front of trains are not pre-progammed.

Last week's good statistics are no guarantee that things will be normal on Monday.

Maybe passengers become complacent if they have a long bout of OTR, and don't make allowance for it on time critical trips.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
andy_centralcoast

That's true, but it would be useful to show regular unreliability. Over time I've noticed that certain runs get priority and others suffer to improve the OTR of those with priority.

For example, historical data should show that a Central Coast to the City via North Shore train is not reliable. These trains often arrive 20 minutes late into Chatswood (and beyond), or are diverted to Central via Strathfield after Hornsby. This is because the much slower T1 Berowra and Hornsby starters get priority. I now catch the 15 minute earlier option because of how many times I've been late. If an app was able to give that sort of warning, it would help less frequent commuters who haven't noticed this recurring pattern over many years.

Data would also show the morning T1 trains to the City that start at Gordon are typically cancelled a few days per week. If trains from Hornsby are running late, the Gordon starter gets the chop. It's sent empty to Hornsby instead, then empty to Blacktown/Schofields via North Strathfield.

The morning Inner West local runs starting from Ashfield are also cancelled at least once per week.

Warnings could be given about these 'low priority' services.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

I think that would be a good idea, but don't like the word 'shame'. Should be called something else unless there's an ideological agenda behind it.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
boeing
Favourite Vehicle: Airbus A380

Post by boeing »

jxeeno wrote: The underlying real-time data is currently viewable to the public for about 48 hours from when the run starts, before it's archived for internal analysis. I'm working on making the historical data more discoverable -- if you have an idea, feel free to drop me a line :)
I'm guessing you don't want to store that historic data on the anytrip web site, rather just access what's available form TfNSW?
If that's the case then perhaps something as simple (or not) as when a trip is selected the panel that shows the stops and current timings could also show available historic trips which could be individually selected to see the performance.
jxeeno

Post by jxeeno »

boeing wrote:
jxeeno wrote: The underlying real-time data is currently viewable to the public for about 48 hours from when the run starts, before it's archived for internal analysis. I'm working on making the historical data more discoverable -- if you have an idea, feel free to drop me a line :)
I'm guessing you don't want to store that historic data on the anytrip web site, rather just access what's available form TfNSW?
I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll keep it brief. In general, the real-time data TfNSW provides only gives current information and future predictions. i.e. a train in transit will only have predictions for stops it has yet to pass. To show past data, the data is stored in-memory on AnyTrip for up to 48 hours before I flush it out to a long term database for my own archiving and analysis.
andy_centralcoast

Looks like things didn't go fully to plan overnight as this alert has just been sent out:
Partial Closure between Strathfield and Central due to extended overnight trackwork at Central. We recommend customers delay their journey or make alternative arrangements. Limited buses operating Strathfield - Central. There is no forecast at this stage. Major delays expected within this area. Real time transport apps may not show correct information. Large gaps in service may occur and train stopping patterns may change at short notice. Please defer all non-essential travel or utilise alternative transport. Customers can also use local bus routes where possible. Please listen to announcements and plan ahead.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

A Leppington train just left Central 386 minutes late.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

According to what? On a weekend like this I would not trust the tracking software as they may not have input the timetable information correctly.
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”