NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
andy_centralcoast

NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Post by andy_centralcoast »

Major delays down south tonight, reports of some trains delayed by more than 2 hours and buses now replacing trains south of Waterfall.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Post by lunchbox »

I've just noticed the rectangular-section, orange/brown sleepers installed on the fly-overs at Central. What are they made of?
YoYo

Post by YoYo »

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/cou ... 4zp9w.html

City of Sydney looking to advocate for 24 hour public transport. I mean, if on Fridays and Saturdays there was at least one train an hour I think that would be a huge plus.

However, from memory I believe train maintenance and cost was is a reason why it's unlikely to be implemented.

I, personally, wouldn't bother with the night rider buses and haven't in years. I either catch the last train home or don't go.

I don't need the stress of a bus potentially filling up and having to wait an hour for the next one then having to get off at stop before mine and having to walk all the way up to my station.

Back in the day they were somewhat unreliable and I personally find them unpleasant to sit on for an hour compared to a train trip home.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

T5 was between penrith and st Mary's again this week but with no millenniums stabled at penrith this time
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

YoYo wrote:
I don't need the stress of a bus potentially filling up and having to wait an hour for the next one
Particularly when drivers regard the definition of "full" in NSW as somewhat less than the true capacity of the bus.

There are few worse transport experiences I remember in NSW over the years than seeing a bus skip the stop because it's "full" when it conspicuously isn't.
Stonesourscotty

is it true A42 is being scrapped? and will become a spares donor for the A class?

Post by 3805 »

I believe that A42 has been written off and is being broken up for spares.
Комитет государственной безопасности​
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Stonesourscotty wrote:is it true A42 is being scrapped? and will become a spares donor for the A class?
If they could salvage and repair a flooded out A29 then they can repair A42
Stonesourscotty

Will an extra B set be added to the order whilst the production run is still ongoing?
andy_centralcoast

Timetable alterations for T5 trains this week from 18:50 each night. transportnsw.info just says "Weeknight service changes. Some trains run to a changed timetable." This appears to be government spin for "Weeknight services cancelled. No trains run."

Major CBD trackwork coming up at the end of July with the entire City Underground closed (T4 Eastern Suburbs remains open). T1 & T2 trains from the west terminate at Strathfield/Ashfield, T1 North Shore to city terminates at Wynyard, T3 & T8 terminate at Sydenham. https://transportnsw.info/document/1216 ... ckwork.pdf
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

andy_centralcoast wrote:Timetable alterations for T5 trains this week from 18:50 each night. transportnsw.info just says "Weeknight service changes. Some trains run to a changed timetable." This appears to be government spin for "Weeknight services cancelled. No trains run."
You seemed to intimate this was a permanent change but https://transportnsw.info/alerts/details#/6021914 reads as though it is for one week only.
Living in the Shire.

Post by 3805 »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: If they could salvage and repair a flooded out A29 then they can repair A42
The difference between the two is structural. A29 did not suffer from structural damage where as A42 did. It is amazing just how much compression damage was done which compromises the overall structural integrity of the train.
Комитет государственной безопасности​
andy_centralcoast

Fleet Lists wrote:
andy_centralcoast wrote:Timetable alterations for T5 trains this week from 18:50 each night. transportnsw.info just says "Weeknight service changes. Some trains run to a changed timetable." This appears to be government spin for "Weeknight services cancelled. No trains run."
You seemed to intimate this was a permanent change but https://transportnsw.info/alerts/details#/6021914 reads as though it is for one week only.
I don't think it's permanent, but I'm not sure, there is very little detail and the same vague "Trains run to a changed timetable" message comes up next week as well - 7pm until 2am. https://transportnsw.info/alerts/details#/6022213
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

It is in the weekly trackwork schedule as
T5 Cumberland Line
Monday 9 to Friday 13 July
• Nightly from 6.50pm until 1.30am, some trains run to a changed timetable. More>>
The More takes you to the information previously pointed to.
Living in the Shire.
andy_centralcoast

Stuck on a train near Hornsby. No guard announcement but the automated voice has been saying "- delays - urgent signal equipment repairs - Warrawee"

I've not heard that used before, is it a new software update?
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

andy_centralcoast wrote:Stuck on a train near Hornsby. No guard announcement but the automated voice has been saying "- delays - urgent signal equipment repairs - Warrawee"

I've not heard that used before, is it a new software update?
The Waratahs have always had the remote messaging capability. But it hasn't been used much until recently.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

andy_centralcoast wrote: Major CBD trackwork coming up at the end of July with the entire City Underground closed (T4 Eastern Suburbs remains open). T1 & T2 trains from the west terminate at Strathfield/Ashfield, T1 North Shore to city terminates at Wynyard, T3 & T8 terminate at Sydenham. https://transportnsw.info/document/1216 ... ckwork.pdf
The major track work is likely due to this: https://www.sydneymetro.info/sites/defa ... r_2018.pdf
Major construction to start at Central in August
Upcoming changes at Central

JULY TO DECEMBER 2018
Hoarding on Platforms 20/21 and 22/23
Construction of new stairs from platforms to pedestrian tunnel
Customer access maintained

FROM AUGUST 2018
Platforms 13, 14 and 15 closed
Platform 12 remains operational
Hoarding along Platform 12
Southern stairs closed
Stonesourscotty

Kiama trains stopping at Campbelltown bound platform at Sydenham p4 this evening all other trains using p6 heading towards the shire.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Stonesourscotty wrote:Kiama trains stopping at Campbelltown bound platform at Sydenham p4 this evening all other trains using p6 heading towards the shire.
Yes, due to maintenance between Redfern and Strathfield.
M 5885.
Stonesourscotty

No due to maintenance at Wolli Creek meaning the Kiama trains avaided Wolli and stop at Sydenham and Arncliffe
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Stonesourscotty wrote:No due to maintenance at Wolli Creek meaning the Kiama trains avaided Wolli and stop at Sydenham and Arncliffe
There you go. Why not add that in your original post rather than making people guess. A lot of posts you make tell only half the story.
M 5885.
andy_centralcoast

Tonight's 12:18am Central to Lithgow service is running as a Waratah A set from Sydney Terminal to Penrith where it will terminate. The V set will be waiting at Penrith and depart 10 minutes later to continue the trip.
Stonesourscotty

Alot of people are intelligent enough to know that trains to kiama aren't affected by strathfield to redfern I didn't know the reason in my initial post as I was traveling from sydenham city bound so wouldn't have got any information about wolli being shut would I...
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Stonesourscotty wrote:Alot of people are intelligent enough to know that trains to kiama aren't affected by strathfield to redfern I didn't know the reason in my initial post as I was traveling from sydenham city bound so wouldn't have got any information about wolli being shut would I...
You're wrong that Strathfield to Redfern can't affect Kiama services if Redfern platforms 1 and 2 are shut.
M 5885.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Kiama services can be diverted to T4, and don't need to go through Redfern 1 and 2. This already happens a lot.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”