• Advertisement

History of government bus services in the Inner West.

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion

History of government bus services in the Inner West.

Postby J_Busworth » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:53 am

Now that we know that Transit Systems will take over the Inner West STA bus services, I'm interested to know just how big a history government buses have in the inner west? Depots, Routes, Fun Facts, I would love to find out.
https://transportnsw.wordpress.com
Eternally waiting for the Eastern Suburbs rail line to make it to Randwick
J_Busworth

Re: History of government bus services in the Inner West.

Postby tonyp » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:13 am

J_Busworth wrote:How that we know that Transit Systems will take over the Inner West STA bus services, I'm interested to know just how big a history government buses have in the inner west? Depots, Routes, Fun Facts, I would love to find out.

Greg Travers "From City to Suburb" would be one of your best source of information, particularly the route details in the appendices.

Basically, the provision of tram services and train lines in the inner west was so dense that there was little need for bus services to infill between them until the trams were finished in 1957-58. The earliest inner west government bus services were mainly concentrated further west to fill in and extend from tram and train services around Ashfield-Strathfield-Canterbury, with some through-routes to the city via Parramatta Rd.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby J_Busworth » Mon May 28, 2018 9:04 pm

tonyp wrote:
J_Busworth wrote:How that we know that Transit Systems will take over the Inner West STA bus services, I'm interested to know just how big a history government buses have in the inner west? Depots, Routes, Fun Facts, I would love to find out.

Greg Travers "From City to Suburb" would be one of your best source of information, particularly the route details in the appendices.

Basically, the provision of tram services and train lines in the inner west was so dense that there was little need for bus services to infill between them until the trams were finished in 1957-58. The earliest inner west government bus services were mainly concentrated further west to fill in and extend from tram and train services around Ashfield-Strathfield-Canterbury, with some through-routes to the city via Parramatta Rd.

Thanks for the suggestion of Greg Travers "From City to Suburb."

Whilst it was hard to track down a copy in good condition, I found one online from New Zealand and it must be one of the best books I've ever seen. There is such detail in the writing and the route histories.
https://transportnsw.wordpress.com
Eternally waiting for the Eastern Suburbs rail line to make it to Randwick
J_Busworth

Postby robert » Mon May 28, 2018 10:00 pm

It is hoped to have some sort of history of the area published in Australian Bus magazine later on.

Individual route histories (similar to those for private routes) will also be uploaded to sydneybusroutes.com in due course. Such histories are already there for Inner North routes.
For information about private bus routes in Sydney, look at www.sydneybusroutes.com
robert

Postby boronia » Mon May 28, 2018 10:03 pm

There were a lot of private operators in the inner south and west up to the 1990s. Most have given up their routes to the STA or have been taken over by the current operators.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Sydney / NSW