• Advertisement

Nightride changes from March 2018

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion

Re: Nightride changes from March 2018

Postby Jurassic_Joke » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:14 pm

I don’t know why they are being so quiet but it seems like N100 has indeed been quietly been given the axe.

Try planning a trip from Bondi JN to Martin Place or Central from 1st March - and it doesn’t come up in the planner anymore, instead 380 with a transfer
Scania K280UB CB80 > Volvo B7RLE CB80

Millennium > Waratah
Jurassic_Joke

Favourite Vehicle: STA Scania K280UB CC CB80

Postby 745-Castle Hill » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:33 pm

https://transportnsw.info/news/2018/nightride-bus-changes

NightRide bus changes

MONDAY 26 FEBRUARY 2018
Starting from 1 March, changes to NightRide services will be introduced, with new and extended routes to provide new travel options for customers travelling overnight.

Key changes to the Nightride network being introduced on 1 March include:

-Changes to route N20 (Riverwood to Rockdale), which will be extended to run to and from the Sydney CBD. This service will operate via Redfern, Green Square, Mascot and the International Terminal.
-Introduction of new route N81 from Sydney CBD to Parramatta, running via Rhodes, Wentworth Point and Sydney Olympic Park. This service will run Thursday to Saturday nights.
-Introduction of new route N91 from Bondi Junction to Macquarie Park via Sydney CBD and Chatswood. This will provide new overnight travel options for customers in the North Ryde and Macquarie Park areas. Route N91 will also replace the current route N100 service currently running on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
-Enhancement of existing route N71 to provide services between the Sydney CBD and Schofields seven days a week.
-Adjustments to timetables for other Nightride services.

For more information, plan your trip, use transport apps or check the new timetables.

745-Castle Hill

Favourite Vehicle: CDC CB30

Postby Jurassic_Joke » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:15 pm

And a new network map to go with it -

https://transportnsw.info/document/1422 ... de_map.pdf

Millennium > Waratah
Jurassic_Joke

Postby Aurora » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:29 pm

Jurassic_Joke wrote:And a new network map to go with it -

https://transportnsw.info/document/1422 ... de_map.pdf

Lines intertwining everywhere.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Aurora

Favourite Vehicle: C set

Postby Jurassic_Joke » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:32 pm

Was about to say - a spaghetti network. N81 in particular is hard to follow. And the City too, it gives me eye-ache.

Millennium > Waratah
Jurassic_Joke

Postby Tonymercury » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:41 pm

Yes, it is a bit heavy on the 'Beck rules' in places, but lacks them in others!

A strange animal.
Tonymercury

Postby Xplorer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:45 pm

and what's more, it looks as if N90 and N91 have their own individual stops for Wynyard and Town Hall, I don't think that's the case?
Xplorer

Postby Fleet Lists » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:57 pm

Same stops according to the timetable maps.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby iamthouth » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:29 pm

Xplorer wrote:and what's more, it looks as if N90 and N91 have their own individual stops for Wynyard and Town Hall, I don't think that's the case?

They are possibly trying to show the inbound and outbound stops being on different streets (York vs Clarence), but agree, it looks messy.

N81 path into Parramatta in particular. The map should be redone.
iamthouth

Postby Frosty » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:49 pm

The N81 does look a bit ugly on the network map. though i don't understand some of the massive geographical oddities like the map shows Riverwood & Padstow are very far away from each other even though they are adjacent suburbs. Though the map in the Strathfield & Parramatta area does look very messy. Maybe they need to colour code it to make it less confusing.
Frosty

Postby Tonymercury » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:53 am

This is probably all the result of attempting a hexalinear map and ignoring a lot of the Beck rules at the same time in a trip planner designed by a TfNSW consultant who 'knows better' than to worry about the accumulated knowledge of others.
Tonymercury

Postby Xplorer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:48 pm

Frosty wrote:The N81 does look a bit ugly on the network map. though i don't understand some of the massive geographical oddities like the map shows Riverwood & Padstow are very far away from each other even though they are adjacent suburbs. Though the map in the Strathfield & Parramatta area does look very messy. Maybe they need to colour code it to make it less confusing.

I guess they’re trying to show that those two are on two different nightride routes, hence far apart
Xplorer

Postby Fleet Lists » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:09 pm

I thinl they are trying to show that on route termintes ay Town Hall and the other continues to/from Bondi Junction.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Richard290 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:48 pm

2MSJ wrote:Is there still an all night option along Epping Rd? N91 could have travelled up the Pacific Hwy to Gordon then left Lane Cove Rd R Waterloo Rd and back on track there, with North Ryde area covered by the Epping Rd service or 610's(??)

That awkwardly ridiculous detour of yours via Gordon for your N91 routing seems lengthy and a waste of time and/or patronage.
There are late night 288 and 290 services on Epping Road, with all night 290 service on Friday and Saturday nights.
The 610 doesn’t really serve North Ryde at all, it only stops at a desolate stop at Pittwater Rd westbound and Rivett Rd eastbound.
Living at the north end of the T6 Line, 513 and the confluence of M54, 513, 546, 549, 553, 625 & 630.
Also living a mile from the Oakes Road interchange.
Richard290

Postby Jurassic_Joke » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:15 pm

Well I’m very pleased to confirm that N90 and N91 are not only indeed operated out of Ryde, but it looks like it draws upon the same relatively wide vehicle pool used for the overnight 520 runs. See, you get nice things when Bustechs aren’t around! That being, eg currently out on N90/91, Volvo B7 CB80, Volvo CB60evoII, and very likely also the standard Volvo Volgrens. Occasionally either type of CNG bus. While the comfortable Transdev Bustechs are regretably a thing of the past here, at least there’s variety now.

The N80 operating from Hillsbus now i see is now using something they usually don’t use on NightRide - a yellow Volgren bus.

N10 and 11 really did lose out horribly - indeed, Bustechs only (including short runnings). Sorry guys.. although we here couldve all guessed it would be like this as soon as word came out Port Botany was running this

Millennium > Waratah
Jurassic_Joke

Postby Stu » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:55 pm

I've seen plenty of N10 & N11 (STA yellow) route pointers on display.
Stu

Postby J_Busworth » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:50 pm

Jurassic_Joke wrote:Well I’m very pleased to confirm that N90 and N91 are not only indeed operated out of Ryde, but it looks like it draws upon the same relatively wide vehicle pool used for the overnight 520 runs. See, you get nice things when Bustechs aren’t around! That being, eg currently out on N90/91, Volvo B7 CB80, Volvo CB60evoII, and very likely also the standard Volvo Volgrens. Occasionally either type of CNG bus. While the comfortable Transdev Bustechs are regretably a thing of the past here, at least there’s variety now.

The N80 operating from Hillsbus now i see is now using something they usually don’t use on NightRide - a yellow Volgren bus.

N10 and 11 really did lose out horribly - indeed, Bustechs only (including short runnings). Sorry guys.. although we here couldve all guessed it would be like this as soon as word came out Port Botany was running this

VSTs all the way from the City down to Cronulla!?! I'm be willing to pay the cab fare to avoid such a monstrosity.
https://transportnsw.wordpress.com
Eternally waiting for the Eastern Suburbs rail line to make it to Randwick
J_Busworth

Postby BroadGauge » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:56 pm

J_Busworth wrote:VSTs all the way from the City down to Cronulla!?! I'm be willing to pay the cab fare to avoid such a monstrosity.

Have fun riding in your beaten up, less than roadworthy and erratically driven Toyota Camry for the cost of $110 then, rather than riding on a properly maintained bus driven by a professional driver for $4.61 :shock:
BroadGauge

Favourite Vehicle: The Bintang Bus

Postby Jurassic_Joke » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:04 am

J_Busworth wrote:
Jurassic_Joke wrote:Well I’m very pleased to confirm that N90 and N91 are not only indeed operated out of Ryde, but it looks like it draws upon the same relatively wide vehicle pool used for the overnight 520 runs. See, you get nice things when Bustechs aren’t around! That being, eg currently out on N90/91, Volvo B7 CB80, Volvo CB60evoII, and very likely also the standard Volvo Volgrens. Occasionally either type of CNG bus. While the comfortable Transdev Bustechs are regretably a thing of the past here, at least there’s variety now.

VSTs all the way from the City down to Cronulla!?! I'm be willing to pay the cab fare to avoid such a monstrosity.

N10 and N11 really are 100% Bustech VST now indeed. Perhaps give a bit of time to see if they begin using the new Scania CB80's P has in the NightRide - id really hope so. Sitting on a stiff, upright seat for that long, regularly, would give someone arthritis I dare say.

Are the depots operating the NightRides bound to a contract so it'll stay fixed for whatever term? So I don't have to worry about Ryde losing N90/N91 to M eg, which does have Bustechs?

But in more positive news, I'm quite liking the new variety on N90/N91. It's nice now turning up for the NightRide and not knowing which bus it'll be this time around. I spotted a 12.5m Volvo Volgren going the opposite direction so thats confirmed possible too. I could enquire why are bendies blacklisted when they can run on 151, but I don't think id ever get a real response from TfNSW.

On the N90 tonight, the driver blundered with a few stops, but id give them some time to get used to whats undoubtedly a challenging and thankless shift. Unfortunately though, I can already see the passiveness of State Transit drivers coming back - tonight, drinks, fast food galore was allowed on the bus, the previous aggressive Transdev drivers would have none of it, and the kiddies threw a fit when the poor driver failed to stop at The Great Western Hotel, like, thats not his fault - its not on his schedule / the Wayfarer guiding him is telling him the next stop is Chatswood station!

Millennium > Waratah
Jurassic_Joke

Postby gilberations » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:16 am

TfNSW has indicated to me that the bus size is indicated in the contract and as the company gets paid no more for having a higher capacity bus, they choose to not operate them as higher capacity buses cost more to operate
gilberations

Postby pgt » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:33 pm

Jurassic_Joke wrote:On the N90 tonight, the driver blundered with a few stops, but id give them some time to get used to whats undoubtedly a challenging and thankless shift. Unfortunately though, I can already see the passiveness of State Transit drivers coming back - tonight, drinks, fast food galore was allowed on the bus, the previous aggressive Transdev drivers would have none of it, and the kiddies threw a fit when the poor driver failed to stop at The Great Western Hotel, like, thats not his fault - its not on his schedule / the Wayfarer guiding him is telling him the next stop is Chatswood station!
Actually it's the Great Northern hotel if you're referring to the one on the corner of the Pacific Highway and Mowbray Road.
But this also confirms my thoughts that the previous Nightride behaviour of "stop at any stop along the route where safe to do so" doesn't apply any more (or shouldn't).

Not sure if this applies to the Nightride operated buses, but don't the private bus drivers have to clean the bus themselves, or do STA drivers clean the bus themselves too (not that I've seen...)?
Mind you, I'm thinking back to seeing former Southtrans bus drivers wielding a broom and sweeping the floor of the bus at Hurstville before starting the next run, whereas I don't exactly see a broom on an STA bus now.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
pgt

Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Postby aussieboy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:37 am

Why not just put all late night buses on 1 map - including 380 etc?
aussieboy

Postby Jurassic_Joke » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:11 am

pgt wrote:
Jurassic_Joke wrote:On the N90 tonight, the driver blundered with a few stops, but id give them some time to get used to whats undoubtedly a challenging and thankless shift. Unfortunately though, I can already see the passiveness of State Transit drivers coming back - tonight, drinks, fast food galore was allowed on the bus, the previous aggressive Transdev drivers would have none of it, and the kiddies threw a fit when the poor driver failed to stop at The Great Western Hotel, like, thats not his fault - its not on his schedule / the Wayfarer guiding him is telling him the next stop is Chatswood station!
Actually it's the Great Northern hotel if you're referring to the one on the corner of the Pacific Highway and Mowbray Road.
But this also confirms my thoughts that the previous Nightride behaviour of "stop at any stop along the route where safe to do so" doesn't apply any more (or shouldn't).

Not sure if this applies to the Nightride operated buses, but don't the private bus drivers have to clean the bus themselves, or do STA drivers clean the bus themselves too (not that I've seen...)?
Mind you, I'm thinking back to seeing former Southtrans bus drivers wielding a broom and sweeping the floor of the bus at Hurstville before starting the next run, whereas I don't exactly see a broom on an STA bus now.

Great Northern Hotel was exactly what I meant :) Still doesn't change the bus should not be stopping there and I wish they'd remove the shelter if it helps remind drivers. If this has been happening for a while now, TfNSW who sets the route would've added it as a dedicated stop now in the timetable, but they haven't, so clearly, its not meant to be so. I mean, imagine if we had night trains instead, take T4 Illawarra eg, and this is a service that skips Tempe, would you go out the way to ask the driver/guard, "can we plz stop at Tempe thx", no you wouldn't, so the bus isn't an exception either.

aussieboy wrote:Why not just put all late night buses on 1 map - including 380 etc?

I agree - outside Warringah Mall B Line stop, theres a really nice, large, very well detailed easy to read map of the Northern Beaches bus network. I'd like to see something like that but for all the NightRides and all-night State Transit services

Millennium > Waratah
Jurassic_Joke

Postby boronia » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:40 am

pgt wrote:Not sure if this applies to the Nightride operated buses, but don't the private bus drivers have to clean the bus themselves, or do STA drivers clean the bus themselves too (not that I've seen...)?

Depends on what agreements exist between the company and its drivers.

One company I previously worked for paid drivers an allowance to wash/clean buses after each shift. Quite often we could do the work during the shift and park the bus up as soon as we finished. Other times it might take a bit longer, esp if had been raining or we worked in a "dirty" area, but overall it was a fair system for both parties.
Other companies employ contract staff just to do this work.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby Fleet Lists » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:49 am

Jurassic_Joke wrote:I agree - outside Warringah Mall B Line stop, theres a really nice, large, very well detailed easy to read map of the Northern Beaches bus network. I'd like to see something like that but for all the NightRides and all-night State Transit services

Why should State Transit get special treatment?
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Sydney / NSW