NSW Railway Observations - January to June 2018

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

NSW Railway Observations - January to June 2018

Post by Stonesourscotty »

H17/18 on a Hurstville service from Platform 14 at Central. 7 minutes to leave and I'm the only person onboard.
Scott4570

Re: NSW Railway Observations - December 2017

Post by Scott4570 »

Stonesourscotty wrote:H17/18 on a Hurstville service from Platform 14 at Central. 7 minutes to leave and I'm the only person onboard.
Passengers are probably over on Platform 25, Run 420D, normally departing 0857 hours. At that time of the morning there is a service every 10 minutes.
Passengers may jump on another service to Sydenham and change.
andy_centralcoast

Re: NSW Railway Observations - January 2018

Post by andy_centralcoast »

This week ECRL trains are showing on indicators and in apps as terminating at Epping (instead of going through to Hornsby), however the guard on the train announced that the train actually continues to Cheltenham to terminate.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Stonesourscotty wrote:H17/18 on a Hurstville service from Platform 14 at Central. 7 minutes to leave and I'm the only person onboard.
Are there any timetabled trips from platform 14 at that time?
Living in the Shire.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

I don't normally use any intercity platforms except brisbane Melbourne or bmt trains

Reminds me that Wollongong services used platform 2 which is odd isn't it?
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Stonesourscotty wrote:I don't normally use any intercity platforms except brisbane Melbourne or bmt trains

Reminds me that Wollongong services used platform 2 which is odd isn't it?
Wollongong services mostly use the ESR/Illawarra Relief (underground platforms 24/25) since this avoids conflicting moves crossing the Bankstown line near Erskineville. The switch to the ESR is I guess this is one of the reasons that V sets were removed from the South Coast Line, as 8V trains are too long for the ESR platforms.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

jpp42 wrote:Wollongong services mostly use the ESR/Illawarra Relief (underground platforms 24/25) since this avoids conflicting moves crossing the Bankstown line near Erskineville. The switch to the ESR is I guess this is one of the reasons that V sets were removed from the South Coast Line, as 8V trains are too long for the ESR platforms.
There's no need for conflicting movements crossing (?) the Bankstown Line near Erskineville for South Coast services to access Sydney Terminal. The Illawarra Main (eastern track pair) provides direct access to the ESR as well as the Illawarra Dive at Eveleigh to Sydney Terminal via the Western Main through Redfern, avoiding any conflicting movements. The major problem for crossing conflicts is the merging of the Illawarra Local with the Illawarra Main for Illawarra Line services at Wolli Creek to gain access to the ESR or Sydney Terminal. This is further exacerbated by the need for Southern Highlands Intercity and South Regional train services from the East Hills Line to cross from the Illawarra Local to the Main to the Illawarra Dive to Sydney Terminal.

This is but one example where serious investment needs to be made in the existing network to separate lines coming into the CBD to eliminate crossing conflicts and provide more efficient operation once and for all. Notwithstanding the removal of the Bankstown Line from the existing network, there will ultimately still be a need for sextuplication from Wolli Creek Junction to the CBD to separate the East Hills Line from the Illawarra Line services. It's unfortunate that the metro will take over the existing surface platforms 1 & 2 at Sydenham. It would have been better if the metro platforms were underground and the surface platforms were left for a future sextuplication. By implication, this will also require a new line either terminating in or through the CBD. The metro purists won't like it, but it's a fact of life that the existing network will remain the dominant system for decades to come and it will require continued upgrading to enable it to operate efficiently.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

andy_centralcoast wrote:This week ECRL trains are showing on indicators and in apps as terminating at Epping (instead of going through to Hornsby), however the guard on the train announced that the train actually continues to Cheltenham to terminate.
There are 5 trains coming off the Morning Peak, and the last few trains of the night, all tabled Empty from Epping to Cheltenham.
This train may have been transposed due to some minor disruption to the Service.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

Fleet Lists wrote:
Are there any timetabled trips from platform 14 at that time?
On a Weekday, there are no Hurstville services tabled from Sydney Terminal. A South Coast service departs Sydney Terminal at 0440 hours, the next being 1023 hours.
All other Illawarra Line services in the morning between those hours depart Central Platform 25.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

South Coast Services will use:-
1/ Sydney Terminal Platforms: Weekdays Off-peak hours, Weekends - 1st outbound service, last inbound service.
2/ ESR: Weekdays at Peak times, Weekends (except for the 1st outbound service, and the last inbound service).

Services to/from the ESR, at peak times, initially, was to avoid conflicts at Erskineville Junction, and to ease up Platform Working in Sydney Yard.
South Coast Passengers also have the advantage of trains to/from the CBD (Town Hall and Martin Place).
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

One of the Martin Place terminators diverted into Terminal, and heading back to MMC?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
andy_centralcoast

Scott4570 wrote:
andy_centralcoast wrote:This week ECRL trains are showing on indicators and in apps as terminating at Epping (instead of going through to Hornsby), however the guard on the train announced that the train actually continues to Cheltenham to terminate.
There are 5 trains coming off the Morning Peak, and the last few trains of the night, all tabled Empty from Epping to Cheltenham.
This train may have been transposed due to some minor disruption to the Service.
It was a Waratah and the onboard display also had Cheltenham listed as the last stop, but platform indicators said Epping. Guard actively announcing for passengers who wanted Cheltenham to stay on board. Would the guard get in trouble for running as passenger if Operations wanted it as Empty?

Also, what's the reasoning behind ECRL trains terminating at Epping/Cheltenham and Epping via Strathfield trains extending to Hornsby in lieu?
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

The only problem I can think of Epping/Cheltenham is the Station closed can customers get off/on. It reminds me of when Airport Line trains terminate at Wolli Creek they continue to Turrella to turn around but usually everyone is forced out at Wolli Creek.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

andy_centralcoast wrote:It was a Waratah and the onboard display also had Cheltenham listed as the last stop, but platform indicators said Epping. Guard actively announcing for passengers who wanted Cheltenham to stay on board. Would the guard get in trouble for running as passenger if Operations wanted it as Empty?

Also, what's the reasoning behind ECRL trains terminating at Epping/Cheltenham and Epping via Strathfield trains extending to Hornsby in lieu?
The service may have been altered just three (3) days prior to this Special Working commencing. This change would have been downloaded to all concerned, including Train Control, Crew Diagrams, etc. However, it is possible the Platform Indicators were not updated.

Due to the Trackwork in Hornsby Yard, there is a limited period of time to allow trains to access Hornsby (Peak times only) and then only Platforms 4 & 5 are available.
The Timetable has been maintained (or unaltered) between the City and Epping (in both directions), either via Chatswood or via Strathfield.
Trains to/from the ECRL would need to absorb up to 10 minutes in each direction to fit in with the Platform working at Hornsby.
Trains to/from the City (via Strathfield), only need to absorb up to 4 minutes to fit in with Platform working at Hornsby.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

Frosty wrote:The only problem I can think of Epping/Cheltenham is the Station closed can customers get off/on. It reminds me of when Airport Line trains terminate at Wolli Creek they continue to Turrella to turn around but usually everyone is forced out at Wolli Creek.
Cheltenham would probably be open to Customers, but with the Trackwork Notice indicating services running at Peak times to/from the City (via Strathfield).
andy_centralcoast

Channel 7 news reporting on the union ballot for industrial action over the new enterprise agreement and suspected redundancies when the new ROC opens this year, and loss of intercity guards from 2019.
https://www.facebook.com/7newssydney/vi ... 274887996/
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

A Millenium was operating today's 17:06 to Richmond from platform 18 at Central, first time I can recall seeing one on T1.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

A Millennium (8 cars) has been tabled to operate Richmond services this Saturday and Sunday: 0906, 1306, 1706 hours, and Saturday Night only: 2106 hours.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Scott4570 wrote:A Millennium (8 cars) has been tabled to operate Richmond services this Saturday and Sunday: 0906, 1306, 1706 hours, and Saturday Night only: 2106 hours.
Nice. I assume they've probably proved they've shown themselves to be reliable enough on that line through T5 at night. Hopefully this means we might soon see regular Milleniums on T1. I must say, it does feel interesting knowing silver sets have been (presumably) permanently removed off the entire line for I have not seen a single one since the new timetable
Scott4570

Re: NSW Railway Observations - January to June 2018

Post by Scott4570 »

No silver sets are tabled on T1 services, since November 26. However, nothing is guaranteed and what happens on the day can be a different story.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Scott4570 wrote:A Millennium (8 cars) has been tabled to operate Richmond services this Saturday and Sunday: 0906, 1306, 1706 hours, and Saturday Night only: 2106 hours.
M25 & M18 were the sets out and about today, ran as scheduled from North Sydney.

Plenty of WOLO (speed restrictions due to hot weather) signs opened up at station ends.
andy_centralcoast

CCN peak trains supposedly running as normal during the morning this week but I've never seen them so crowded. Standing from Gosford.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Well looked there were some last minute alterations according to Sydney Trains they're running a special summer holiday timetable today & tomorrow more like just to cover up all the cancelations on the T2,T3,T7 & T8 lines due to operational issues. Is it do with the train issues or lack of crews. If due to trains I bet they're short on trains & they're reluctant to run S sets in the heat.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

andy_centralcoast wrote:CCN peak trains supposedly running as normal during the morning this week but I've never seen them so crowded. Standing from Gosford.
It's only the services via Strathfield that are running through. The via North Shore trains are terminating at Berowra (using 4-car sets) to connect with buses hence I would imagine that most people who would normally catch those would have switched to using the through services.
TSE_SecretAni
Favourite Vehicle: Yutong E12, Bustech VST, Orana

Post by TSE_SecretAni »

Tangara is running on T5 Cumberland Line around 12pm and midnight

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”