STA Observations - January to June 2018

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Re: STA Observations - January to June 2018

Post by Daniel »

Fleet Lists wrote:
Swift wrote: This is the first proper order of Optimus bodywork. That tiny batch of Iveco buses really doesn't count.
Where is there any information about such an order besides this single unit? This order might be even smaller than the Iveco one.
It is a larger order but not significantly so. Further information about this and other current orders will come in due course.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Scored a brief sample of 2886 on a 397 last night. Seems to go like stink and was slightly quieter than the VST but not as quiet as the first series CB80 K280UBs.
The flap covering the centre door workings above the door was loose. Not a good tone to set for such a new vehicle.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

gld59 wrote:So still a K series - I thought it'd be too much to hope for to have the N series tonyp has been suggesting they should get. :(

gld
No doubt the choice of chassis would, as usual, have been made entirely on the basis of engineering issues with absolutely no regard to the actual functionality of the vehicle as a mass transit passenger carrier.
swtt

Post by swtt »

mandonov wrote: My thought is to make the 533 full time, scrap the 526, then reroute the 458 to run to Olympic Park from Rhodes along the current 526 route.

The 533 would take care of Ryde-Rhodes patronage, and the 458 would capture Wentworth Point and Newington patronage to Rhodes as well as connecting them to Concord Hospital and beyond. 526 between SOP and Burwood wouldn't really be necessary with the 525 remaining.
Currently the 525 isn't frequent enough to get rid of the 526, especially along the Underwood Road corridor. At least not without X25 expanding its span of service to outside the peaks and into the weekends.

On weekends with the theoretical 11/19 min alternating frequency along Underwood Road we still see buses packed to the brim. With the *ahem* superb reliability of 525 services quite often they also come as a 2-car "train" as opposed to the 11/19 split.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Mmm, Seal of Approval for special-edition-liveried Volvo CB60 bendy 1742, where those annoying advertisement templates on the windows have been completely removed, meaning everyone can see clearly out the window. :D
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

3701 on the M20 and 1690 was on there yesterday
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

What is so significant about that? Is it really worth reporting?
Living in the Shire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Stonesourscotty wrote:3701 on the M20 and 1690 was on there yesterday
Fleet Lists wrote:What is so significant about that? Is it really worth reporting?
They are both bus types not normally on there and 1690 is quite a novelty to see on a metrobus route. Onya scotty!
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

That should be included in the post as most people would not be aware of that.
Living in the Shire.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Swift wrote:1690 is quite a novelty to see on a metrobus route.
P have well demonstrated that this is not correct.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Tonymercury wrote:
Swift wrote:1690 is quite a novelty to see on a metrobus route.
P have well demonstrated that this is not correct.
If so, the novelty is wearing off already.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Stu

Post by Stu »

There has been much speculation in recent months that the long buses at K won't last much longer with the new 400 timetable which is rumoured to be implemented in February. The new Volgren bodied Scania (presumably more) could be a direct replacement for the long buses or also as growth buses if the timetable frequency is increased from 3 x buses p/hr to 4 x buses p/hr. it would be nice if the long buses were replaced with a new high capacity bus of some sort.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Send those 14.5m units to P to free up some bendies for other routes until LR changes the bus network. They could configure the Volgren's in a high density standing configuration as cheap alternative to other options.

Also noticing even in school holidays the 370 is running chronically late saw quite a few buses run 30min+ late the only time it's ever on-time is Christmas Day. I don't understand some STA rostering logic now I see often during peak hour 372 is operated by 18m bendies not the best use of capacity the m50 already has bendies.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Swift wrote: They are both bus types not normally on there and 1690 is quite a novelty to see on a metrobus route. Onya scotty!
it was on the M20 again this morning, with a similar unit immediately behind it at the Botany M20 terminus.
Swift

Post by Swift »

It'll soon be a novelty to see a red metrobus on that root.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

3828 on the m30 on 2289s normal allocation.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Really so so disappointed that all those extra later night 352 Marrickville-Newtown-OxfordSt-Bondi-JN are, like the 380, all run with Buswreck VSTm. Idve thought you’dve already run out of them by now as everything late night from Waverley more or less only uses them.

This is just wasted potential. I mean a bit earlier I moved from one party precinct to another (Newtown to Oxford St) and I don’t see the point when the bus at this time, Friday night, packed to the brim, standing only and we know how jerky these buses are.

At least since the new timetable, we don’t see them that much at all anymore on 389. Thank god
Swift

Post by Swift »

More of STA's illogical deployment practices at play here.
Send out those lower capacity buses that are hard to see out of night with super bright strips of lighting, in peak hour like conditions on weekend nights, whilst badly needed articulated buses are put to bed because it's just too hard to coordinate their use outside of the peaks it would seem.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Urgh, STA themselves are starting to come off as very Liberal-ideologue-like. Are they just spamming VSTm's on routes they know its obviously inappropriate so they can save costs to make themselves and their mates richer? I'm honestly just bored now of sending the same (valid) feedback and that you can obviously use normal sized buses, just get an automated cut and pasted "Thanks for your feedback, we welcome and it and consider everything thats received!".

Otherwise, for the fans, the next Scania K310UB CB80 for Port Botany 2887 is getting ready to be delivered so I see on Fleet Lists.

I think this actually sounds like the same as the Volvo B7 CB80's from 2017. We had a single unit, 2825,delivered all by itself to Ryde, and then it was a couple of months later before the remainder of the series was delivered.
Michael Bamborough

Post by Michael Bamborough »

Frosty wrote:Send those 14.5m units to P to free up some bendies for other routes until LR changes the bus network. They could configure the Volgren's in a high density standing configuration as cheap alternative to other options.

Also noticing even in school holidays the 370 is running chronically late saw quite a few buses run 30min+ late the only time it's ever on-time is Christmas Day. I don't understand some STA rostering logic now I see often during peak hour 372 is operated by 18m bendies not the best use of capacity the m50 already has bendies.
Which 14.5 units are you talking about? Cause i asked STA about any new 14.5m buses coming and they said they have no plans on receiving new 14.5m buses.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Michael Bamborough wrote:
Frosty wrote:Send those 14.5m units to P to free up some bendies for other routes until LR changes the bus network. They could configure the Volgren's in a high density standing configuration as cheap alternative to other options.

Which 14.5 units are you talking about? Cause i asked STA about any new 14.5m buses coming and they said they have no plans on receiving new 14.5m buses.
It seems to be a reference to the 14.5s at K.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Ben_Daui
Favourite Vehicle: 14.5 Scania

Post by Ben_Daui »

Yes the STA should move the 14.5’s to P.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Ben_Daui wrote:Yes the STA should move the 14.5’s to P.
No thanks - they already don't bother to match buses to the timetable requirements, that suggestion would just make it easier for them to extend the practice.
Last edited by Tonymercury on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

That is not a valid reason for not moving them - it will give them greater capacity overall.
Living in the Shire.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Not when you replace timetabled accessible vehicles with non-accessible ones.

Often it appears to be plain laziness, or 'why should we bother'.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”