Chatswood - two questions....

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Chatswood - two questions....

Post by lunchbox »

1 - Why is there no bus departure info board as people enter the bus station from the railway station? Intending bus passengers seem to have to wander around, checking each of the departure stands, and reading the info on the posts there. There's not even a sign to inform intending bus passengers that there are three stands, one of them hidden in the dark under the railway bridge!

2 - Train noise.
Despite the expensive track fastenings, using what used to be called "Cologne Eggs", the noise from trains entering the station from the north is alarming. It sounds like a low flying aircraft is overhead! Was it always so? Has there been any public discussion?
moa999

Re: Chatswood - two questions....

Post by moa999 »

Don't think it's much different at Bondi.
Use an App. Tells you all the info you need.

Trains are noisy.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

moa999 wrote: Use an App.
And for those that can't?
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

I think the noise issue is largely due to those two smallish blue buildings that overhang half of the viaduct. It basically creates a giant amplifier, bouncing the noise off of all the concrete surfaces.

I believe there's tentative plans for them to be redeveloped which may or may not include a new bus interchange.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Tonymercury wrote:
moa999 wrote: Use an App.
And for those that can't?
Ask rail station staff, from my time deliberately asking stupid questions to station staff on bus information, they know this stuff a lot of the time.
mandonov wrote:I think the noise issue is largely due to those two smallish blue buildings that overhang half of the viaduct. It basically creates a giant amplifier, bouncing the noise off of all the concrete surfaces.
They could have built a big sound barrier like this one on a Melbourne freeway. Although I would rather take the train noise than a barrier.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37.786 ... a=!3m1!1e3
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Seems to be the same at most stations these days. No bus info at the new Penrith interchange.

People shouldn't have to ask train staff, or use an app, to get basic information.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

rogf24 wrote:
Ask rail station staff,
Oh, so you manage to get to the interchange, can't find any information, return to the station and have to find a staff member, one who does NOT have a job description that includes information about the interchange or even a way of finding it?

I hope that its not your 90 year old grandmother doing that.

Also note that this is an often proved method of getting the wrong information, even on rail services.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Tonymercury wrote:
I think I might prefer the 90 year old grandmother to some young upstart who thinks he/shew knows everything but in fact knows nothing.
Living in the Shire.
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

Tonymercury wrote:
rogf24 wrote:
Ask rail station staff,
Oh, so you manage to get to the interchange, can't find any information, return to the station and have to find a staff member, one who does NOT have a job description that includes information about the interchange or even a way of finding it?

Also note that this is an often proved method of getting the wrong information, even on rail services.
Also don't a lot of the bus stops not actually in the interchange, for instance those that leave from Victoria Avenue and Railway Pde.

It's actually in many places where they don't actually tell which stand buses leave from where there are multiple stands. The only place that used to do this properly was Wynyard Park but even here now it's a bit hit and miss.
Liamena

Post by Liamena »

Chatswood has been a "wayfinding" fail for a long time.

The signage pointing to the stands is wrong.
The arrows on the big square totem pole point the wrong way.
As you approach from the train, the kerb on the side pointing north is cleverly bent out of sight
so that you cannot easily see there is a stop there, if you don't already know it is there.
There is no signage indicating that there are also stops on the west side of the station.
There is no signage showing which buses go where. Even on the poles listing the routes, there is no information
about which suburbs or routes the buses take to their destination.
To get to Neutral Bay, Cremorne or Mosman, there are buses from both the left and right side of the station.
It is very hard to find the "night ride" bus stop which is very obscurely signposted.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

It's a pity Chatswood is not in the Bennelong electorate (by-election, 16.12.17), instead lying within the premier's neighboring electorate of Willoughby.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Chatswood has a large underground bus parking area, but passengers are expected to wait outside for a bus. Why can't it have a set up like BJI?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

lunchbox wrote:It's a pity Chatswood is not in the Bennelong electorate (by-election, 16.12.17), instead lying within the premier's neighboring electorate of Willoughby.
I won't point out they one is a Federal electorate and one is a State electorate...
Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Something like this would be useful

http://www.mercychatswood.nsw.edu.au/_u ... %20Map.pdf
Glen

Post by Glen »

Chatswood isn't alone. Try catching a bus from Central Station, Eddy Ave, the signs tell you virtually nothing about any bus you may be looking for.

I don't know how tourists cope, I barely can and I live here.
boronia

Post by boronia »

There is a big sign on the ramp from N concourse down to Eddy Ave with details of bus services, but it is double sided and this is probably lost on most people.

There are some signs around the bus shelters, but probably inadequate.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Glen

Post by Glen »

boronia wrote:There is a big sign on the ramp from N concourse down to Eddy Ave with details of bus services, but it is double sided and this is probably lost on most people.

I seem to recall that the only sign told me that I was in fact standing there within the correct 18 hours in which a bus would arrive (i.e. first bus time and last bus time).
boronia

Post by boronia »

This is part of the "turn up and go" mentality: when the bus turns up, you can go.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

boronia wrote:This is part of the "turn up and go" mentality: when the bus turns up, you can go.
I suspect you mean 'if'!
Glen

Post by Glen »

boronia wrote:This is part of the "turn up and go" mentality: when the bus turns up, you can go.
Silly me, I thought a map might have been helpful at such a busy stop.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Glen wrote:
boronia wrote:There is a big sign on the ramp from N concourse down to Eddy Ave with details of bus services, but it is double sided and this is probably lost on most people.

I seem to recall that the only sign told me that I was in fact standing there within the correct 18 hours in which a bus would arrive (i.e. first bus time and last bus time).
All the stands in Eddy Ave have full service timetables and maps for each stand. The longer stands actually have them twice. Even Stand A for inbound services has a timetable for services to railway Sq.
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”