• Advertisement

NSW Railway Observations - December 2017

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion

Re: NSW Railway Observations - December 2017

Postby tonyp » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:39 am

Jurassic_Joke wrote:
My initial reaction to the new “KEEP TO THE LEFT. Thanks for keeping the trains moving” signs that came up after the new timetable was “...wow it’s so sad we live in a Nanny state and need to be belittled like that”, but upon second thought, we actually need them.

ESPECIALLY Town Hall escalators during non peak times

Do you know that Australia is just about the only country in the world where people walk on the left? Even in the UK they walk on the right. Considering that Sydney is something of an international city with many people from overseas living and visiting here, you can hardly be surprised that so many try to move on the right. I guess we either just have to live with it or have a super-nanny moment when all Australians are told to change over to the right fom the nominated "R Day". It could be the biggest thing since decimal currency. :lol:
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby moa999 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:58 am

Article on accessible stations - now reached the half way point in the Cityrail network
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/one-down-140- ... 0ayrh.html

The list of to-do stations notably misses Redfern which only has two accessible platforms.
moa999

Postby Tonymercury » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:07 am

tonyp wrote:Do you know that Australia is just about the only country in the world where people walk on the left?

When I first arrived in Sydney the CBD had blocks with a red line down the middle of the footpath and people were expected to walk on the right.
Tonymercury

Postby Stonesourscotty » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:22 pm

Its crazy the amount of Chinese that get walked into by me at town hall for walking on the right. And I can assure you in Britain we walk on the left drive on the left and rails are on the left. A23 is graffitied on its lead carriage city bound and there's a heavily vandalised vset floating about on the blue mountains line. There was also a double tangara stabled at McDonaldtown last night which seems odd normally waratahs m sets k sets and s sets? There was also some Tangaras stabled at the Waratah depot last night also.
Stonesourscotty

Favourite Vehicle: Custom Bodied Tri Axle Volvo

Postby matthewg » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:58 pm

Last night while waiting for a train up the 'shore line, the PID at Town Hall was showing 'Charter' The Station Assistant was repeating on the PA to that it was an all stations to Hornsby via Gordon and to ignore the indicator.
Tripview on my phone showed 'Charter' as well.
Town Hall, NYE PID showing charter.jpg

I assume the run wasn't in the database and 'charter' is what it shows for unknown stopping trains. Tripview was showing the stops on the train detail screen.
matthewg

Postby tonyp » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:08 pm

Stonesourscotty wrote:Its crazy the amount of Chinese that get walked into by me at town hall for walking on the right. And I can assure you in Britain we walk on the left drive on the left and rails are on the left.

Trains run on the left in France. Go figure!

When I was living in UK in the 1980s and on my last visit there in 1999 people were walking on the right. I even recall signs on station escalators saying keep right. The principle is that, considering humans are predominantly right handed (sorry for the lefties), they tend to carry stuff in their left hand, leaving the right free to hold on to steady themselves.

Good luck Stoneourscotty, there are many more Chinese than Australians! :wink: :lol:
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby andy_centralcoast » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:19 pm

matthewg wrote:Last night while waiting for a train up the 'shore line, the PID at Town Hall was showing 'Charter' The Station Assistant was repeating on the PA to that it was an all stations to Hornsby via Gordon and to ignore the indicator.
Tripview on my phone showed 'Charter' as well.

I assume the run wasn't in the database and 'charter' is what it shows for unknown stopping trains. Tripview was showing the stops on the train detail screen.

Apparently some of the additional NYE services were mistakenly timetabled with run numbers reserved for charter services only. This was an ongoing issue throughout the day & night, primarily in Sector 3. I spoke to station staff who said the new indicators can't be overridden so they were instructed to make announcements correcting it.
Presently 590-599 series is reserved for Charter services that should not be displayed to customers (e.g 590A).
andy_centralcoast

Postby Tonymercury » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:27 am

tonyp wrote:Trains run on the left in France. Go figure!

And in Belgium, Switzerland and at least part of Italy for the simple reason of British construction companies.
Tonymercury

Postby Tonymercury » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:31 am

tonyp wrote:The principle is that, considering humans are predominantly right handed (sorry for the lefties), they tend to carry stuff in their left hand, leaving the right free to hold on to steady themselves.

Actually the great majority of people carry stuff in their right hand.
Tonymercury

Postby tonyp » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:24 am

Tonymercury wrote:
tonyp wrote:The principle is that, considering humans are predominantly right handed (sorry for the lefties), they tend to carry stuff in their left hand, leaving the right free to hold on to steady themselves.

Actually the great majority of people carry stuff in their right hand.

Are there statistical surveys of that?
tonyp

Postby PaulSEO » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:13 am

tonyp wrote:Are there statistical surveys of that?

All I could find is the following:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showth ... ?t=2061203 small sample size, very unscientific

and

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=VL ... nd&f=false

notably about the preference of transport authorities to have the right hand favoring slots or readers.
PaulSEO

Postby gld59 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:07 pm

I'm sure I've read that standing on the right is because right-handed people can then hang on with their stronger hand.

Sweden also has trains run on the left. They converted their road system to the right in the 1960s, but didn't bother with the trains. Now they're connected to Denmark, it's an issue. (A few services from Denmark continue beyond the usual terminus onto the existing Swedish system - I don't know how much had to be done to allow that.)

gld
gld59

Postby Tonymercury » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:33 pm

tonyp wrote:Are there statistical surveys of that?

Try some personal observation.

I've been observing because I realised that card readers were on the wrong side for most people - try driving a wheelchair with you right hand and you'll soon make some interesting observations.

And thanks to Paul for that new Scientist link.
Tonymercury

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Sydney / NSW