Newcastle Transport

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
iamthouth

Re: Newcastle Transport

Post by iamthouth »

moa999 wrote:Any independent source for these stats
(Mehreen is a Greens MP).

What has the private operator actually changed?
The actual results (far from the quoted ones) are available on https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/data-a ... me-running

Results are down about 3-4% per month year on year, but nowhere near 79% as claimed.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Um to the world's worst, oh okay Australia's worst council, the portable electric sign stating in big letters "NO RIGHT TURN - BUSES EXCEPTED is meant to be in Werribee St for right turns into Maitland Rd, not in Maud St into Maitland Rd on the opposite side! The bus driver saw that & incorrectly turned right instead of going straight ahead, Was't his fault. It's one of those signs that have changing text in a loop.

-------------------------------------

And the bus number given the "honours" of the last service tomorrow on the three digit route numbers (eg: Nightowls) is/should be ____?
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Not a good start under the new Timetable. Of course some fool has had a mouthful at a driver and a different person has thrown a brick through a bus window.

Drivers cop abuse as tensions boil over with bus timetable overhaul
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/51668 ... er/?cs=305
Tempers frayed on day one of the city’s bus timetable overhaul, with drivers subjected to widespread abuse and a brick hurled at a bus in Newcastle West.
The most serious incident took place on a bus outside Wests City on King Street, with reports a passenger became involved in an altercation with the driver, before getting off the bus and throwing a brick at it.

Keolis Downer confirmed an incident on a 110 bus occurred, but suggested it was unrelated to the timetable.

A spokesperson said it had been reported to police.

“Safety of our drivers and the community is our highest priority,” she said. “Keolis Downer is not aware of any incidents from the rollout of the new network.”

But several people witnessed bus drivers being verbally accosted, including Vicki Warren, of Adamstown.

She tried to intervene when a fellow passenger began abusing a driver who had stopped to look at the timetable. “I said: ‘give the guy a chance’,” she said, adding that she thought the new timetable was going to be a good thing for the city.

A couple from Merewether, who did not want to be named, were less impressed.

They spoke to the Herald from a bus stop on Stuart Avenue, where they had been waiting half-an-hour for a service that was usually a five to 10 minute wait.

“It’s pretty ordinary,” the woman said. “We could have been home by now.”

Shane Hattander, of Jesmond, found the rollout confusing and said more signage was needed.
So the Brick incident happened on the 110? so that means it's narrowed down to a Bustech VST or in the are case a BCI. Wonder if it's the same person a couple of months back who demanded to be let off in the middle of the road and somewhere where the 110 doesn't stop. That guy was extremely violent towards the driver and attempted to force the doors open but failed luckily.
“I was getting the bus from Adamstown and thought I had missed two buses but I hadn’t,” he said.

Jesmond woman Louise Parker described the changes as “half and half”.

“Instead of the bus dropping me at work, I have to walk for five minutes,” Ms Parker said.

“If it’s raining it’s a bit annoying, but I can still get to work, so it’s not too bad.”

Darren and Sarah Payne live in the Lower Hunter and said the service from Charlestown to the Wickham interchange was very convenient
And another article

New bus timetable facing first test under private operator Keolis Downer
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/51664 ... st/?cs=305
IT’S been confirmed there is scope for a review of the city’s new bus timetable, but commuters have been urged to go in with an open mind, as the first shake-up in a decade took effect on Sunday.

Keolis Downer – the city’s new private transport operator – also used the occasion to launch a trial of its “on-demand” service at Lake Macquarie, the equivalent of Uber for buses.

While the first real test will come on Monday with the rush of morning commuters, the timetable has already met a hostile reception from passengers no longer serviced by a direct route.

Responding to the backlash on Sunday, the state government and Keolis Downer said there was potential for the new timetable to be reviewed, but reiterated it would see an overall increase of 1200 services.

The greatest benefit is expected to be the introduction of services every 15 minutes on four “main trunk routes”.

“That’s where the highest demand for services are, so that’s where we’ve added the extra services,” parliamentary secretary for the Hunter Scot MacDonald said.

He admitted that Novocastrians could be “a little bit wary” about change, but was optimistic people would come around to the new timetable. He emphasized it was based on Opal card data.

“We’ve had low patronage on public transport – less than four per cent – so business as usual couldn’t go on.

“If we need to make changes, obviously we’ll be talking to people like Keolis, but I think we’ve got to give it a go,” Mr MacDonald said.

Sunday saw Mr MacDonald and Keolis Downer’s Hunter general manager Mark Dunlop ride the first “on-demand” bus from Warners Bay to Charlestown.

Customers can order a bus to pick them up and take them anywhere within the boundaries of Dudley, Mount Hutton, Charlestown and Warners Bay.

Buses can be ordered by phone or smartphone app, with a fixed $3 adult fare and $1.50 concession.

Mr Dunlop said the “sophisticated” technology had already been tested overseas and he was confident it would minimise travel times.

“The app [is] dynamically altering the route to come up with the optimal path for the bus to go and all of this is done in real time,” he said.

He said the entire service would be reviewed on an ongoing basis, but the launch of the timetable was “exciting”.

“There’s an enormous amount of work that’s gone into it,” Mr Dunlop said.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

It seems Newcastle Transport has launched an advertisement on the local TV stations (There is one for the radio stations too) and it talks about the new routes & changes to transport in the area. What I find funny is they show 2744 ST (A Volvo Bustech VST) operating one of the 363 routes.

What I'm trying to say is in the advertisement they talk about the new routes and changes happening but show an old State Transit route (The 3 digit one) I don't believe it was mentioned anywhere in the advertisement that the route numbers would be switching from 3 to 2 digits but I could be wrong.

Someone who hasn't been paying attention to the news is going to get a shocker when the bus route shown in the ad doesn't show up for them.

Edit: Turns out it launched around the 13th of December last year but last Saturday was the first I've seen the advertisement. It's up on their Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/NewcastleTrans ... permPage=1
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Newcastle Flyer

Does the government own all the Hamilton & Belmont Bus Depot buses, or does Keolis Downer own some of them?
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:Does the government own all the Hamilton & Belmont Bus Depot buses, or does Keolis Downer own some of them?
Unless I'm wrong I'm lead to believe Keolis Downer owns the buses but if State Transit were so nice to send one of their ex Scania L113CRL's (Of which I'm still yet to see and Oranas have dried up since the new timetable come into affect) down after KD took over then maybe they might be able to request what was once theirs back but like I said I could be wrong and I'm just going on a guess here.

I'm thinking of it this way. Hunter Valley buses never use to be HVB. Singleton, Morriset, Thornton etc all had their own individual depots. When CDC they took over the buses as trading as Hunter Valley buses (CDC) I'm guessing that the previous depot owners no longer owned the buses.

Sort of like a trade off. If you give us the depot and the buses we'll take them off your hands so you can do something else.

I sort of think with it being privatised and off from the states hands that they no longer have anything to do with it but anyone's guess is as good as mine.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

All buses would be on lease and not owned - the same as the buses with other private operators acquired since 2007. Exceptions may be the buses they have acquired separately which are not ex STA.
Living in the Shire.
Newcastle Flyer

To the "CEO" of Save Our Rail, if you are going to release "e-newses" (anyone can sign up for them), AT LEAST TRY & GET YOUR FACTS CORRECT - And what are you going on about buses for? Your subject is not meant to be buses. The e-news does that a lot, make mountains of mole hills & quite often unfactual statements.

She writes this:-
"Then there’s the BUSES! This Government sold off the Newcastle services to a private company and the resulting timetable is a horror! I am reading of people having to change buses three or four times to travel from Swansea to Newcastle. A person living near a bus stop in Hamilton needs to change buses to get to the University (Callaghan Campus)."

A frequent Route 13 direct from Maitland Rd just north of Hamilton station ar Hamilton/Islington to university. But as per usual, it depends on what part of Hamilton.

And as for Swansea from Newcastle CBD, it's only ONE bus change.
White lives matter too.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

m/o 3878 bound for Queens Wharf with a very messed up destination sign this morning. Luckilly at the back it displayed the route correctly on the route number box. This is also the first Orana I've seen since the new timetable went into service.
Before you ask: No it wasn't changing between screens as I took the photo. What you see in the photo is exactly how it was at the time.

Newcastle Flyer

One of the 38xx were out yesterday as well. I don't think it was the same fleet number.
Lookslike their are less problems with manual physical destination signs.
White lives matter too.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I've been informed that the only Scania L113CRL (m/o 5515) is definitely operating in Newcastle and just isn't sitting on standby or as a forgotten bus as the local depot. I think I may of even spotted it on a transport tracker as a bus operating in the Belmont / Charlestown area that isn't displaying it's bus name properly. I'm planning to make a trip down to Belmont when I can to see if I can catch it in action myself.

And in my absence on here a Bus protest over the new timetables is to be held on the coming monday (2 days from now):

Shadow minister for transport announces public protest to be held in Belmont over Newcastle Bus Timetable
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/52197 ... announced/
Shadow minister for transport Jodi McKay led four of the Hunter’s Opposition MPs on Friday in a collective call to the NSW Premier for a full review of Newcastle’s privatised bus timetable.

At a meeting of the Labor five at Charlestown bus interchange, Ms McKay announced a public protest would be held on Monday, February 19 at Belmont 16 Footers to show community angst over the new Keolis Downer timetable. The announcement followed a week of exchanges in state parliament between Hunter MPs and Transport Minister Andrew Constance.

In the first sitting week of 2018, the Opposition placed a censure motion on Mr Constance regarding his handling of the bus timetable change, and later criticised his response to questions from Newcastle MP Tim Crakanthorp about its impact on workers with a disability.

Ms McKay said the opposition would continue pressuring the government and cited the review into Sydney’s train timetable as example of what could be achieved with the community’s backing.

“Andrew Constance has no intention of fixing this whatsoever,” Ms McKay said.

“We are now upping the ante and we’re calling on Gladys. So next week it will be about Gladys intervening to fix this situation.

“If Andrew Constance won’t, then she has the power and ability to direct her minister to do that. And we wan’t a review of the system.

“We put pressure on the Sydney train timetable, which since November has been a nightmare and now they’ve implemented a review.

“So if it’s good enough for Sydney, they can implement a review here too.”

Mr Crakanthorp said Mr Constance had been “incredibly dismissive” of his electorate this week and said the minister “wants to bury his hand in the sand on the issue”.

He said he was contacted on Monday by Access Industries, a non-government organisation that employs 115 disabled people in Hamilton, who raised the timetable’s impact on their workers.

He then put questions to Mr Constance in parliament on Tuesday, where the minister said he was unaware of any complaints about the system.

Mr Constance then claimed on Wednesday that Mr Crakanthorp had raised a “smart-alec” question the day before, and the opposition MPs were “deliberately trying to denigrate the new system in Newcastle”.

Mr Constance also said the city had been given “1,000 additional and new services” from the timetable change, and the 10-year privatisation contract of Newcastle’s bus system was put in place because the network “was experiencing declining patronage and people were not using transport”.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I suppose if you split a bus route in half so you now have to catch two buses, the second one counts as an "additional service"?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Newcastle Flyer

At Boronia, that's what many think, but it's been great for us (although harder to get to some other places).

The five hi frequency routes including the ferry route has been great for us. Helped us get to Australia Day celeberations & helped to check the George & Hay Sts new tram junction.
-----------------------------
Not sure what that protest is about, but I think it's about tryng to restore the previous network. But the previous network had with two exceptions, bus only every hour, and then only up to a limited time.
White lives matter too.
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

Newcastle Herald article the other day continues to be scathing of the transport decisions.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/52226 ... rt-policy/
The ‘world class transport system’ the politicians promised the Hunter has morphed into a rebadged Wickham station with half a roof.

With the rail line long gone, the replacement bus, which was supposed to meet every train, has become another broken promise. Commuters wanting to continue into Newcastle can be left waiting at the Wickham Interchange for up to 20 minutes without seating or shelter for the shuttle.

The hugely expensive light rail system appears to be destroying the very businesses it is supposed to save.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Some odd claims in that opinion piece. I've not heard anything about making the Bankstown Line corridor thinner, and in my anecdotal experience the new station in Wickham has gotten high praise.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/52349 ... es/?cs=305

Commuters flock to high frequency bus routes in month after Newcastle bus overhaul: state government
Brodie Owen February 19 2018 - 6:30AM

NEWCASTLE’S lonely “ghost buses” are dead and private operator Keolis Downer is the ghostbuster.

That is the view of the state government which has released new Opal card data that it says shows certain high frequency services got off to a good start in the month after an overhaul of the bus and ferry network.

The data, which compared “tap on and tap off” totals between mid-January and mid-February in 2017 and 2018, showed route 11 from Charlestown to Queens Wharf was Newcastle’s most popular bus.

According to the data, the “frequent route” was used by an average 2400 passengers a day, representing a 35 per cent jump in patronage compared with figures for the former 100 bus, which had a similar route to the 11.

Keolis Downer claimed the route 13 bus, from Glendale to the city, was also a star performer.

Shane Hattander, of Jesmond, aboard a bus at Wickham on January 14, the day new timetables and services were launched. Picture: Max Mason-Hubers

The Opal data shows that bus was used by 1320 passengers per day – a 70 per cent increase on the similar 363 route.

Patronage figures across the network remained “generally steady” but the data was “promising”, Keolis Downer said.

“The latest Opal data is in, and although the new network is in its infancy we’re pleased to see commuters have familiarised their new routes and are using the four new frequent services in droves,” Keolis Downer Hunter general manager Mark Dunlop said.

Mr Dunlop foreshadowed future changes after conceding the current network was not locked in.

“Through data and community feedback we’re constantly analysing and reviewing the new network,” he said. “While it’s great to see we don’t have buses carrying just ten people per day like on the old network, there are still potential tweaks and adjustments may prove necessary.”

He added: “This has been a monumental change to how buses operate in Newcastle and Lake Macquarie and understandably it will take time to get used to.”

Parliamentary secretary for the Hunter Scot MacDonald said the figures were “encouraging”.

“Business as usual was not an option with declining patronage,” he said.

The release of data comes on the same day a community meeting in protest of the network changes is scheduled to go ahead.

The meeting, which is organised by the state Opposition, kicks off at Belmont 16s at 6pm.

Mr MacDonald criticised Labor MPs for “not inviting” either himself or transport officials to the meeting.

The Liberal MP confirmed on Monday morning he would be attending but said: “It is disappointing the NSW Labor Opposition has not taken up my offer to have a representative from Newcastle Transport attend, speak and take questions.”

In Parliament, transport minister Andrew Constance accused Labor of “deliberately trying to denigrate the new system in Newcastle”.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Two completely different pieces in the Newcastle Herald,to contemplate.The first piece seems to have been written by one from the left of politics.The second piece seems to been based on actual loading stats.The first piece probably reflects the way the Newcastle bus system was operated for several decades.Don't rock the boat and change anything in case someone complains and the politics in the area become a bit hairy.The problem with operating a bus system like that is it becomes progressively irrelevant to many people and the patronage declines.Exactly what happened in Newcastle.
The judgements on the new bus system should be made in about a years time,to allow patronage to settle into the new system.My bet is the five high frequency services will have markedly better patronage and several of the feeder routes will increase too.Frequency and reliabilty are keys to increasing patronage.I think everybody on the forum agrees with that.The portents of doom in Newcastle ,organizing wingefests should let the network settle ,and allow KD to tweak the services based on continuing ,factual patronage data and feedback.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

m/o 3406 Mercedes-Benz 0405N Ansair Orana was back on regular route services as of last week. I wasn't able to obtain a front photo in time last week as It caught me off guard and it took off before I was able too but today I super lucky to be in the right place at the right time and was able to make up for it. If my calculations are correct. It seems to be operating anything from routes 11 to 14 from Queens Wharf from 11:30 AM-ish. So far only observed it operating from Queens Wharf on a Monday, not sure if it applies for the rest of the week-days.

Anyway a photo of it ;)

Last week (before it took off and where I missed my chance getting a front photo of it)

I still have no idea what the sister Merc 3405 is up-to, don't see it around but seeing 3406 around makes up for it and makes me happy since it's a super rare bus to catch in action. (Along with the Scania L113CRL Ansair Orana I'm still trying to get lucky enough to find)
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

So that's uh... interesting. I've Never seen any of the Volvo B10B's operate service routes down here since they were transferred from Sydney. Those things weren't equipped with the proper destination signage last I checked either. Still on the old blind destinations. So I wonder how signage is working for that matter?

Only sad outcome is I'm not down there to witness the B10B operating the service route :(
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Fleet Lists wrote:his Newcastle Transport but not operated by Newcastle Transport but operated by Hunter Valley Buses, Rover Coaches and route 130 by Port Stephens - some to coincide with the Newcastle Transport changes

https://transportnsw.info/news/2018/low ... s-services
Lower Hunter new bus services
Tuesday 02 January

Bus passengers in the lower Hunter region will soon benefit from a major boost to services starting from Sunday 14 January 2018 and 30 January 2018.

Routes 164, 166, 130, 179, 262, 269, 270 and 275 will receive extra trips to cater for growth in customer demand.

Use the Trip Planner to plan your trip as it has up-to-date timetables and stop information. Download transport apps to assist you with your journey.
In conjunction with this, did Hunter Valley route 276 disappear? There are now no timetables on either Transport Info or the Hunter Valley website for this route. And I have noticed that the Hunter Valley website now also links to Transport Info for their timetables ie also no Hunter Valley timetables as such.
Living in the Shire.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

it appears that's indeed the case, the long 276 from Wangi is now a 275, and the short ones between Toronto and Awaba have altogether disappeared
Newcastle Flyer

Just how many times is NBN/The Herald going to show the wrong bus company?

Um NBN, route 130's have nothing to do with Keolis Downer Hunter.
White lives matter too.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Is Newcastle populated by humans or baboons? The behaviour I have been reading about toward bus drivers left my blood pressure on "high boost".
It sounds like these wholesale changes taking place are the tough love Newie needs. About time.
Newcastle need to hang in there and they will find a system that has caught up from years of stagnation. KD must have good reason to be implementing these radical changes from the get go and I have faith they will affect a much more attractive system than before, once the adjustment is through and the bugs are ironed out. I think they are in good hands under this Dunlop fellow.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Well I'm loving the frequent routes so far, and I have noticed more passengers on them than their predecessor routes. My only complaint so far is the lack of a crosstown route similar to the 111. I understand the desire to have buses interchange at Broadmeadow Station (which is welcomed) but it's a bit of an effort to get to Kotara Westfield now.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I believe Newcastle Transport is slowly edging back to operating the 110 shuttle (Newcastle Loop) There's a VST running around from them operating it this morning but only one I can see at the moment. Have to wait and see how it pans it during the day.

I'll admit tho I'll miss the different variety of buses I got to see and rode on if NT is edging back to operating the 110. Guess it's back to their VST's and the occasional BCI from them if this appears to be the case.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”