Newcastle Transport

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Tonymercury

Re: Newcastle Transport

Post by Tonymercury »

Fleet Lists wrote:But is a station area enclosed by gates considered as a publicly accessible area in this context?
Always have been - and station staff generally don't worry unless you're being an idiot. Actually I think that all platform, whether gated or not, are now considered paid areas.

Of course there are so many people standing around using telephones and no one knows if they are taking photos!
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

If no physical gates, I'd say anywhere past the Opal readers would be considered a "paid area". TOs can ask to check your card if you are standing on a platform.

The main considerations would be
1) not causing obstruction
2) not photographing particular passengers or crews.
3) not using flash
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Liamena

Post by Liamena »

When the Opal poles were first erected for the failed scheme before Opal ( about 2005 ? ), one of my friends wrote to their MP about the position of the poles at Gordon station, and whether there would be free pedestrian access across the bridge. They got a written assurance from the Minister that there would be. I don't know if this situation has changed. I also don't know what other stations have the same dodgy layout of Opal poles as what Gordon has. I don't recall seeing any.
boronia

Post by boronia »

With the current refurbishments at Penrith, non-passengers have to use the platforms and paid areas to get from one side to the other. The wide gates are left open to allow this, although card holders could tap on and off again without being charged. Even so, under normal conditions so few passengers bother to tap, it is hard to tell the difference.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Liamena wrote:When the Opal poles were first erected for the failed scheme before Opal ( about 2005 ? ), one of my friends wrote to their MP about the position of the poles at Gordon station, and whether there would be free pedestrian access across the bridge. They got a written assurance from the Minister that there would be. I don't know if this situation has changed. I also don't know what other stations have the same dodgy layout of Opal poles as what Gordon has. I don't recall seeing any.
I think you'll find that the paid area is the platform,
Transport: Buses
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech VST on Scania K280UB

Post by Transport: Buses »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: believe that white background was just temporary till they could make the decal transparent. All buses have now been fitted with the Newcastle Transport logo and none of them have State Transit markings anymore, at least from what I've seen out on the road and that's a majority of them.

So the Transport: Buses logo has officially been abandoned for the ...Newcastle Transport logo? Stupid decision if that is the case imho :/
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Why should they still carry State Transit markings? They are no longer part of that. Buses from all other operators carry some identification of the operator concerned.
Living in the Shire.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Liamena wrote:When the Opal poles were first erected for the failed scheme before Opal ( about 2005 ? ), one of my friends wrote to their MP about the position of the poles at Gordon station, and whether there would be free pedestrian access across the bridge. They got a written assurance from the Minister that there would be. I don't know if this situation has changed. I also don't know what other stations have the same dodgy layout of Opal poles as what Gordon has. I don't recall seeing any.
You mean the T card I was apart of the 2005 SSTS T card trail as both Busways and Interline signed up for the trail as both companies had the T card readers fitted in all their buses
donek

Post by donek »

sorry to be a bother, but i would like someone to identify this model of bus for me. i know that it's not a MAN midi. it has volvo on the front...

(i am new to this thread by the way)
Attachments
what is this
what is this
IMG_0311.JPG (268.98 KiB) Viewed 6962 times
boronia

Post by boronia »

Not State Transit markings, but the TfNSW "Transport - Buses" logo which should be common to all operators ??
@ The Museum of Fire.
booma
Favourite Vehicle: 3886 & 3883

Post by booma »

Looks like a B10BLE.
My views expressed in here are my own and do not reflect those of anyone or anything else.
BusPlaneTrainTram

Post by BusPlaneTrainTram »

For donek as a new user of the site, and for future use, the fleet lists usually provide the answer:

3875 m/o 3875 Volvo B10BLE YV3R4A518VA003430 APG "Orana" 7570910 3/98 B43DW Corporate v1
ex State Transit Authority, Newcastle (3875) m/o 3875 1/7/17.

Much effort goes into compiling data and contributions are always welcome.
donek

Post by donek »

BusPlaneTrainTram wrote:For donek as a new user of the site, and for future use, the fleet lists usually provide the answer:

3875 m/o 3875 Volvo B10BLE YV3R4A518VA003430 APG "Orana" 7570910 3/98 B43DW Corporate v1
ex State Transit Authority, Newcastle (3875) m/o 3875 1/7/17.

Much effort goes into compiling data and contributions are always welcome.
Thank you so much, didn't think this fourm would be so nice
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I guess this ties into Newcastle Transport one way or another: Appears Autonomous buses for Newcastle are on the way under a trial between Keolis Downer and Newcastle City Council and later on could expend elsewhere in Newcastle.

Driverless bus bound for Newcastle after federal government backs council's Smart Move strategy
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/50638 ... newcastle/
A driverless bus will operate in Newcastle, possibly next year, as part of a $15 million digital innovation partnership involving the council, federal government and private enterprise.

Private transport operator Keolis Downer and Newcastle City Council will trial a small autonomous bus at the University of Newcastle and could expand the technology elsewhere in the city.

The federal government announced on Friday that it was providing $5 million to help fund the council’s Smart Move Newcastle strategy for making travel throughout the city easier. The council and a group of industry and research heavy hitters are contributing $10 million.
he council requested and received $5 million from the government’s $50 million Smart Cities and Suburbs Program. More than 170 cities applied, and Newcastle’s allocation was the largest.

Other projects in the strategy include an electric vehicle hub at the fringe of the city centre as a park-and-ride, with chargers for electric cars and e-bikes for hire; bus stops with technology to provide users with real-time information, such as how long until the next bus and how many seats will be available; roads and intersections with real-time traffic analysis; and parking sensors to provide data on available spaces.

Keolis Downer’s head of growth, innovation and partnerships, Jonathan Myers, said the driverless bus could be a French-built Navya or a Local Motors Olli vehicle with about 14 seats. It would run around the university’s Callaghan campus picking up students and staff.

“There’s still a way to go in terms of legislation and regulation, so we’ll probably start on the university campus. I think that’s what’s envisaged,” Mr Myers said.
“It would be in a non-public environment, but with people and other things going on, and then as the technology’s proven and the legislation and regulation is developed, we envisage it could be employed as a shuttle up and down Hunter Street.

“It could be on the foreshore, Honeysuckle Drive, and not just as a technology stunt. The idea is to have a proper use case.”

The company has been trialling driverless buses in the French city of Lyon, Paris, Las Vegas and at La Trobe University in Melbourne.
ts Las Vegas bus was involved in an accident in its first hour of operation last week when a truck driver backed into it.

“At least it wasn’t the autonomous vehicle driving into the truck. That would have been embarrassing,” Mr Myers said.

“We want to understand how people react to it, how would they use it, would they pay to use it, does it go fast enough.

“Some people are excited and love it and are fired up by it and didn’t think this would happen and can’t believe it. Others are hugely sceptical, don’t want a bar of it.

“Part of the reason for doing these trials is to broaden the understanding and test what is it that people are concerned about, what can we improve. Do people need to register or can anyone turn up and go. What does that mean for insurance. It’s more those sort of details we need to get right.”
Keolis Downer also plans to introduce electric or hybrid electric buses on its Newcastle network.

“Fully electrics now are viable, and we think from the modelling we’ve done there is a case, on a whole-of-life basis, with the relative cost of electricity to diesel,” Mr Myers said.

Mr Myers said the company’s plans for an on-demand bus service could be combined with the driverless bus trial.
Looks like Keolis Downer plans to introduce Hybrid electric buses on it's network as well as maybe on demand services.

Let me take a guess. It'll either be another couple of BCI's or a BYD bus. I Wonder if this means the older buses will be withdrawn (The MAN Oranas, Volvo Oranas etc)

Sort of hope not. I Still like the Oranas and you don't really see MAN Midi's with an Orana body anywhere else in public service these days.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Living in the Shire.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Well looks like the only BCI Proma LF at Newcastle Transport has been done up in Transport for NSW Livery

Before
After

Also appears that there is still some left over "Newcastle State Transit" Destinations programmed into the destination displays. This MAN Ansair is Displaying "Newcastle Buses".

Also does anyone know what has happened to the all the Low floor BCI Citirider 12's? Just looking at the Newcastle Transport Fleetlist now still shows them as "listed" on the fleet summary page but when I go to the individual page for all the Citirider 12's at NT, the page is empty.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

Click on the full fleet list. There is an error with accessing the details from the summary page for this particular vehicle type.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Daniel wrote:Click on the full fleet list. There is an error with accessing the details from the summary page for this particular vehicle type.
Thanks Daniel

Not sure if the next piece of news fits here but since it is NT related I'll leave it here. I am happy to move it to another topic if it isn't suitable here.

I'm not sure how I missed it but in other news the Newcastle Christmas bus is on again this year with the 1st of December to be the day it starts operating again. Going by past dates, it usually wraps up 2-3 days after Christmas so nearly an entire month to catch it and ride it. Which providing the timetable is suitable I will try to catch it and share the photos and videos of it.

At the moment there isn't a timetable and nothing on the Facebook page since the day they made the post below but I'm really happy to see it make a return, I would have thought knowing KD they would have wanted to get rid of it. (Seem to be so Anti about anything good these days) but alas KD / NT has had some sense in them to allow the Christmas bus to run again this year! as I said I'm happy to see it make a return

This is confirmed by their official Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 9802357045
Hi Christmas Bus Lovers.
Just letting you know the Christmas bus will return on or about the 1st of December
Currently trying to work out the timetable and it will be posted on this page as well as http://www.thechristmasbus.com.au as soon as it is ready.
Looking forward to seeing you all again this year.
Marg
As for the buses that will likely operate the Christmas run (Again going by past details) I definitely suspect 2078 ST (Volvo B12BLE CB60 EVO2) will be one of them along with another CB60 EVO 2 to operate it. I wonder if we'll see a Volvo VST operate it at some point? hmmm.

Edit (on 25th November 2017) I've spoken to the people who run the Facebook page for the Christmas bus and they confirmed to me 2078 ST will definitely be the operating bus for this years Christmas bus. 2078 ST Sure has a lot of history behind it to be honest
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

While filming for the next transport episode for my Youtube channel I happened to have caught on video a Driver who may of left too early and wasn't sticking to he's timetable. He slowly pulls out of the Depot and gets past the front gates and he's about to leave but someone who I assume was a controller or higher up yells "Stick to the Timetable". The driver of the bus couldn't hear so tells whoever this NT worker is to come over and the guy says "Timetable" and then comes over. I stopped filming when the guy who I assume is a controller or boss of some sort came up to the Drivers side window and spoke to him. I couldn't hear what they were saying after that as I was across the road and they were now having a normal voice conversation. I'll likely include the footage in my upcoming episode on my channel.

In other news all BCI Citiriders (With the exception of the Proma) have now been fitted with the Newcastle Transport Decal but the bus itself is still white and has not yet had the Transport NSW Livery applied to them unlike the BCI Proma LF.

Happened to have spotted this one today on what I assume was a test run
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Newcastle Transport's John Hunter bus services to increase from January: Keolis Downer

Matt Carr November 27 2017 - 6:21PM

FOUR buses will run between the John Hunter Hospital and inner Newcastle every hour once Keolis Downer introduces its new network in January, the company has pledged.

The Newcastle Transport operator announced on Monday that services will run every 15 minutes from 7am to 7pm on weekdays.

Gaps between services on those routes will stretch out to 30 minutes on weekends.

The company also contends services linking outer suburbs including Glendale, Wallsend and Charlestown will increase 50 per cent.

“We know that John Hunter Hospital is an important destination within the public transport network and we are responding to requests for more services,” Keolis Downer Hunter chief executive Campbell Mason said.

Adding services to the hospital would also strengthen links with surrounding suburbs, Mr Campbell said.

Parliamentary secretary for the Hunter Scot MacDonald said the addition of services to the hospital would fulfill a community need.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/50846 ... ed/?cs=305
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

A better way to travel: services every 15 minutes

Newcastle is set to receive better bus and ferry services than ever before when new timetables are introduced next year. High frequency bus services will run every 15 minutes on key corridors, while ferry services, will also run every 15 minutes between Stockton and Newcastle.

Three of the four core bus routes will also connect with the ferry service at Queens Wharf.

Feedback gathered during the Voice of Newcastle community engagement program, including the Citizen’s Panel, showed a clear need for more regular services and reduced waiting times.

“The community told us that they wanted frequent services to popular hubs to make public transport an attractive and viable alternative to travelling by car,” Keolis Downer Hunter Chief Executive Officer Campbell Mason said.

“Here we will provide improved transport for Newcastle to meet the high demand between key activity centers such as John Hunter Hospital, the University, Charlestown, Kotara, Wallsend and the CBD.”

“With services every 15 minutes, you won’t need to check a timetable. If you turn up to a bus stop on a frequent route between 7am and 7pm weekdays the longest you will have to wait for a bus will be 15 minutes.”

“We want to make it simpler for people to get where they want to go.”

These key routes, to be announced when the network is released at the end of November, will be integrated with services connecting suburbs and residential areas.

“I’m excited about these changes. I think having buses as frequent as they are going to be in this timetable will make Newcastle feel like one of the big capital cities,” Citizen Panel member Michael Sykes said.

The new network and timetable comes into effect in January 2018.
http://www.newcastletransport.info/late ... 15-minutes
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Mandonov, bit slow aren't you? That has been out for a while :mrgreen:
Keolis Downer wrote:FOUR buses will run between the John Hunter Hospital and inner Newcastle every hour once Keolis Downer introduces its new network in January, the company has pledged.
But the JHH already has four KD bus routes, & unusually one of them based on an every ½ hour frequency.
Newcastle Transport wrote:A better way to travel: services every 15 minutes
Feedback gathered during the Voice of Newcastle community engagement program, including the Citizen’s Panel, showed a clear need for more regular services and reduced waiting times.
During the VoN, & one of the first meetings, he was also asked to look at reintroduction of express buses & new express routes.
Newcastle Transport wrote:“With services every 15 minutes, you won’t need to check a timetable. If you turn up to a bus stop on a frequent route between 7am and 7pm weekdays the longest you will have to wait for a bus will be 15 minutes.”
I wouldn't call 15 minutes a "turn-up-&-go".
Newcastle Transport wrote:These key routes, to be announced when the network is released at the end of November, will be integrated with services connecting suburbs and residential areas.
Most likely meaning that most direct routes will be scrapped meaning changing buses - just so long as it doesn't mean changing buses too many times & doesn't increase journey times.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:
Keolis Downer wrote:FOUR buses will run between the John Hunter Hospital and inner Newcastle every hour once Keolis Downer introduces its new network in January, the company has pledged.
But the JHH already has four KD bus routes, & unusually one of them based on an every ½ hour frequency.
I think what that quote means is that one of those routes will be every 15 minutes, ie. four buses an hour. I'm guessing that would be the 363 as it's the most direct to the inner city.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

What they need is an SOME expresses & an all stops on a Wallsend / Glendale / Toronto - Belmont / Swansea route. Okay we know that KD/NT can't run to/from Toronto, but a Toronto - Belmont bus route is desperately needed. 25 or so minutes by private transport, & up to around 2 hours by multiple buses.

And with that proposed Wickham bus interchange, going by the plans, the turning circle seems to be too small.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Hunter Valley Buses operations in Western Newcastle and Lake Macquarie need to be folded into Newcastle Transport for a true regional and integrated network to be created.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”