NSW On Demand Buses

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: NSW On Demand Buses

Post by Swift »

What about violent/difficult/intoxicated passengers who want you to go a certain way and want to argue?
A route bus this is unlikely to happen, but a bus perceived as direct and flexible may pose some problems, unless there is security to deal with the problem quickly.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

Fleet Lists wrote:CDC Ourbus seems to have made some changes as from 2nd October 2018. http://cdcourbus.com.au/
Haha. Yeah . "On Demand public transport is a new way for people to reach their destinations quickly, safely and efficiently at a time that suits them."

At a time that suits them, except between 9:30 AM and 4:30 PM.

So, if you need to make a trip which, for whatever reason, you cannot drive or use normal public transport for, you can only use this service during the traffic nightmare hours !
Swift

Post by Swift »

neilrex wrote:
Fleet Lists wrote:CDC Ourbus seems to have made some changes as from 2nd October 2018. http://cdcourbus.com.au/
Haha. Yeah . "On Demand public transport is a new way for people to reach their destinations quickly, safely and efficiently at a time that suits them."

At a time that suits them, except between 9:30 AM and 4:30 PM.

So, if you need to make a trip which, for whatever reason, you cannot drive or use normal public transport for, you can only use this service during the traffic nightmare hours !
Doesn't pass the pub test to me. All these hidden catches makes a mockery of the term.
Passenger 57

Post by Passenger 57 »

On Demand*
* Subject to availability

What the proper spin-free term for bookable, flexible route buses with defined hours of operation? Apart from not operating in the off-peak the picking up or only dropping off at a hub restriction of some trials is another demand limiter.
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

Passenger 57 wrote:On Demand*
* Subject to availability

What the proper spin-free term for bookable, flexible route buses with defined hours of operation? Apart from not operating in the off-peak the picking up or only dropping off at a hub restriction of some trials is another demand limiter.
I don't have a problem with different trial paradigms in different regions. I do have a problem with the moronic slogan that is continually being used, "at a time that suits them", where "them" here means the consumer.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I'm guessing 1:30am is out lol.
OTR all day

Post by OTR all day »

Swift wrote:What about violent/difficult/intoxicated passengers who want you to go a certain way and want to argue?
A route bus this is unlikely to happen, but a bus perceived as direct and flexible may pose some problems, unless there is security to deal with the problem quickly.
It is up to the operator to implement security protocol. Some operators have security camera and panic button and dispatcher on duty. Besides, use your imagination to quickly neutralise violent passengers. Hint, multiple operators are operating sprinter and hi ace, which can out accelerate and out brake a STA bus.

Thankfully, there aren't too many drunks during peak hour. Even in the evening peak.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Punchbowl Bus on demand service in Bankstown has ceased on the 14th of October.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

That tracks with what the graphs in this article show: https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/syd ... 4zs5d.html

All those with less than 300 trips a week have either been cancelled or significantly tweaked.
I'd like to see Keoride's numbers in Macquarie Park since the ECRL shutdown...
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

From the last few paragraphs of this article on Newcastle Transport patronage: https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5707 ... s/?cs=7573
A new on-demand bus service in Lake Macquarie has attracted about 2000 passengers in each of the past four months since starting in January.
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

The latest figures show patronage in 11 trial areas progressively rolled out since late last year has been strong in Sydney's eastern suburbs and Manly, the northern beaches and the Sutherland Shire, but weak in other parts of the city such as Wetherill Park and Bankstown.
Ehh, not very surprising the shuttles in Wetherill Park and Bankstown got canned. Here's a thought from someone who lives among it.

First, there was never enough clear signage to reveal their existance in the first place, neither in Prairiewood and Wetherill Park, nor in Bankstown. The TfNSW signage at Bankstown Station's Bus Interchange made it difficult to tell whereabouts Stand D was from a distance and the Wetherill Park one had a start/stop point at Prairiewood T-Way, but people who weren't from around here wouldn't know which side to go to.

Second, these two are already areas with some decent bus coverage; Bankstown Hospital is mainly operated by the 487, and every now and again has the 925 and 926 coming in. Wetherill Park's industrial area is served by the T80, 800, 806, 812, 814 and 835, all connecting in addition to the 813 on The Horsley Drive. Oh, and us Fairfielders do a lot of walking. So someone's bus stop 2 blocks away from their workplace is nothing. (And these ain't some of the squashed city blocks, these are blocks that are nearly the size of a University of Sydney campus, blocks which take about 35-45 minutes to do a whole lap.)

Third, it's how my local area works. We're not into the concept of using a phone application to order a bus, we're used to waiting some 30 minutes for the next one. We don't complain about not having a bus coming every 4 minutes. If someone can't be bothered to wait 30 minutes for a bus, they drive. Simple.
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
LB608

Post by LB608 »

Transit Systems have 3 new Hino Poncho's for there on demand services
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

Add today on Facebook claiming Keoride service times expanded to all day.

Didn't say which area. Miranda ? Mona Vale ? North Ryde ? Your guess is as good as mine. Stupid !

Actually, some of your guesses would be better than mine.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Bridj could be expanding its services in the near future, rumours involve the Rockdale / Brighton / Kyeemagh areas. It would be interesting if the 479 could be modified as a result.
Last edited by Stu on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
thunderbird

Post by thunderbird »

Stu wrote:Bridj could be expanding its services in the bea future, rumours involve the Rockdale / Brighton / Kyeemagh areas. It would be interesting if the 479 could be modified as a result.
I doubt services would be modified, after a year of on demand buses in the Sutherland shire there would have been huge scope to reduce some of the lesser used local bus routes. Alas there has been no changes.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

neilrex wrote:Add today on Facebook claiming Keoride service times expanded to all day.

Didn't say which area. Miranda ? Mona Vale ? North Ryde ? Your guess is as good as mine. Stupid !

Actually, some of your guesses would be better than mine.
isn't the northern beaches area all day already? so to "Expand", i can only guess Macquarie area
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

http://scbuslines.com.au/on-demand-bus- ... ws-weekly/

On-demand bus service trial planned- Merimbula News Weekly
November 15, 2018/0

Sapphire Coast bus lines was in the Merimbula news weekly recently as it plans to launch a number of on-demand bus services which will pick up people from their homes. Read the article.
https://www.merimbulanewsweekly.com.au/ ... d/?cs=1477
Living in the Shire.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Stu wrote:Bridj could be expanding its services in the near future, rumours involve the Rockdale / Brighton / Kyeemagh areas. It would be interesting if the 479 could be modified as a result.
Here is an updated On Demand page for the Inner West:

https://transportnsw.info/travel-info/w ... nd-service

If Bridj is expanding to Olympic Park/Newington, why isn't it going to Wentworth Point and on to Rhodes, and potentially joining up with Concord Hosp and other more eastern parts of the Canada Bay LGA?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

There are four different options
Newington to LIdcombe
Cabarita - Sydney Olympic Park
Rhodes- Cabarita
Mortlake - Strathfield Station.
The first thre options show a frequency of service. To me having a frequency on an On Demand service is a contradiction of terms.
Living in the Shire.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

they way Bridj runs it is as if it's a scheduled service with set route. there are set stops and set timing points. each service must run, unlike other ones where if there's no demand, the driver gets a break
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

That seems to be getting right away from the On Demand concept.
When you say "each service must run" that sounds as though there is some sort of unpublished timetable somewhere.
Living in the Shire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Fleet Lists wrote: The first thre options show a frequency of service. To me having a frequency on an On Demand service is a contradiction of terms.
Maybe a tacit admission that on demand is not the way to go? Hmm!!!
swtt

Post by swtt »

Or would it be possible to deviate off route a little to do pick-ups?

Cos otherwise as Fleet Lists says, it's just another bus service but less frequent and smaller buses too.
Fleet Lists wrote:There are four different options
Newington to LIdcombe
Cabarita - Sydney Olympic Park
Rhodes- Cabarita
Mortlake - Strathfield Station.
The first thre options show a frequency of service. To me having a frequency on an On Demand service is a contradiction of terms.
Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk
Qantas94Heavy

Post by Qantas94Heavy »

swtt wrote:Or would it be possible to deviate off route a little to do pick-ups?

Cos otherwise as Fleet Lists says, it's just another bus service but less frequent and smaller buses too.
I had a play around with the Bridj app. For the Rhodes services area, it seems that the app will only show pick up/drop off points along the following route:

I'd presume that they wouldn't need to do the loops if nobody is scheduled to get off/on there, but apart from that the route seems pretty fixed to me. I don't know if the drivers will drop you off elsewhere if you ask though.
Last edited by Qantas94Heavy on Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Looks like they have updated the app.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”