• Advertisement

Sydney commuters get chance to trial on-demand buses

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion

Re: Sydney commuters get chance to trial on-demand buses

Postby hornetfig » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:22 pm

The choice of Rose Bay as a hub is due to persistent community agitation since all cross country services - 321/322/365/366 - that connected Bondi Beach to Rose Bay and Edgecliff were deleted in 2002.
hornetfig

Postby Passenger 57 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:30 pm

Well, then they should have made Bondi Beach a hub as well or introduced more flexible pick up/set down provisions. At least with Opal there is no longer a fare penalty for traveling via a hub or two just the time penalty unfortunately further exacerbated by the reduction in off-peak service frequencies of the remaining services post 2002. It can be faster to walk.

Can you remind me about the paths of those old routes? There was also the peak hour 375 which was a service from East Bondi Beach to the city via O'Sullivan Rd and winding through Bellevue Hill that was I think retired earlier.
Passenger 57

Postby hornetfig » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:44 pm

Post-ESR (really post-1992 changes):
321 - Monday-Saturday service Bondi Beach south terminus to Bondi Junction via North Bondi, Rose Bay Old South Head Road and New South Head Road (via Dover Road), Rose Bay Wharf, Bellevue Hill
322 - Sunday service Bondi Beach south terminus to Vaucluse via North Bondi, Rose Bay Old South Head Road and New South Head Road (via Dover Road WB but Wilberforce Ave EB [this route was ancient...])
365 - Daytime service Bondi Beach south terminus to Edgecliff Station via Bellevue Hill, Double Bay
366 - Nightime service Bondi Beach south terminus to Edgecliff Station via Bellevue Hill, Double Bay but a different route through Bellevue Hill
hornetfig

Postby Passenger 57 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:38 am

hornetfig wrote:Post-ESR (really post-1992 changes):
321 - Monday-Saturday service Bondi Beach south terminus to Bondi Junction via North Bondi, Rose Bay Old South Head Road and New South Head Road (via Dover Road), Rose Bay Wharf, Bellevue Hill
322 - Sunday service Bondi Beach south terminus to Vaucluse via North Bondi, Rose Bay Old South Head Road and New South Head Road (via Dover Road WB but Wilberforce Ave EB [this route was ancient...])
365 - Daytime service Bondi Beach south terminus to Edgecliff Station via Bellevue Hill, Double Bay
366 - Nightime service Bondi Beach south terminus to Edgecliff Station via Bellevue Hill, Double Bay but a different route through Bellevue Hill

Thanks, your memory is much clearer than mine on these routes. The 321 must have been the evolution of the earlier 359 (Rose Bay to Pagewood via Bellevue Hill and Bondi Junction) service. Apart from the Beaches (?) Explorer tourist service I recall only one other service operating via Rose Bay wharf for a period. Once that service or its successor was merged with the 365 scheduled route bus operations would have been removed from the small remaining section of O'Sullivan Rd still having a service, albeit a more frequent one. This would also have contributed to better on-time running by eliminating sections providing delays in particular operations through a block containing neighbourhood shops with cars parked in the stops as well as being double parked.

The different route via Bellevue Hill you refer to would have been the been the Manning Rd to Victoria Rd route fragment currently served via the 327 and earlier via the 330. I presume the 366 must have been intended to replace the 330 at night and in part make up for the deletion of the 375. The end of the 366 would have removed bus operations from the Drumalbyn Rd to Bellevue Hill section of Victoria Rd formerly served by the peak only 375.
Passenger 57

Postby jpp42 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:01 pm

Passenger 57 wrote: Apart from the Beaches (?) Explorer tourist service I recall only one other service operating via Rose Bay wharf for a period.

FWIW, that service was called the "Bondi Explorer" when I first came to Sydney in 2006. It is still in operation by the current private operator (Explorer Bus Tours) under that name, even despite Explorer Bus Tours having different franchise affiliations (previously City Sightseeing, now Big Bus Tours). One difference was that the STA incarnation used dedicated blue-liveried buses for the Bondi tour and red for the city tour, where as now Explorer Tours / Big Bus Sydney uses any of their maroon buses for both routes.
jpp42

Postby boronia » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:58 pm

Passenger 57 wrote:Well, then they should have made Bondi Beach a hub as well or introduced more flexible pick up/set down provisions. At least with Opal there is no longer a fare penalty for traveling via a hub or two just the time penalty unfortunately further exacerbated by the reduction in off-peak service frequencies of the remaining services post 2002. It can be faster to walk.

Can you remind me about the paths of those old routes? There was also the peak hour 375 which was a service from East Bondi Beach to the city via O'Sullivan Rd and winding through Bellevue Hill that was I think retired earlier.

The 375 was a pre-ESR peak hour service that terminated at West Bondi (Curlewis/OSH Rd), with a different route through Bellevue Hill
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby Passenger 57 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:42 pm

jpp42 wrote: One difference was that the STA incarnation used dedicated blue-liveried buses for the Bondi tour and red for the city tour, where as now Explorer Tours / Big Bus Sydney uses any of their maroon buses for both routes.

I see there have also been route and stop changes. The current tour has half as many stops as the STA version and no longer diverts via Rose Bay wharf. Coaches and minibuses with Chinese tourists are now the only frequent tourist services to the wharf
Passenger 57

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Sydney / NSW