Sydney airport traffic chaos

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Sydney airport traffic chaos

Post by boronia »

That is a union/STA imposed limit for "safety reasons".

The "authorised" capacity is based on floor area and weight limitations.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Qantas94Heavy

Post by Qantas94Heavy »

boronia wrote:That is a union/STA imposed limit for "safety reasons".

The "authorised" capacity is based on floor area and weight limitations.
Apparently the 15 standing limit was removed.

Is the "authorised" capacity even based on floor area? Weight definitely but for example I have never seen anywhere near 63 standing passengers on board the 3 door bendy buses, even when "full".
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Oh no, not the RTBU again! I don't think any Sydney bus would get seriously anywhere near full because of the internal design and door issues. The RTBU just wants them declared to be "full" at an earlier point so that they can argue for more buses and therefore more drivers' jobs.

In the rest of the normal world, 4 persons per square metre is the typical standee standard on top of the seating capacity. This of course requires sufficient doors and passenger exchange ability to properly fill the bus by distributing passengers evenly through it. During the long public discussions on capacity of the CSELR trams (calculated at 4 ppsm), it emerged from TfNSW that the capacity of Sydney's buses and double deck trains is calculated at only about 2.5 ppsm, a damning indictment of how inefficient both are.

Rigid 12 metre buses in Perth are rated at 82 passengers. This would be about 35-40 standees which looks to me not to be an issue in the Volgrens - provided they climb the aisle stairs to the back!
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

The Sydney Morning Herald is starting a campaign to reduce the station access fee on the Airport Line stations.
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/smh-edito ... 0ebqe.html
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

andy_centralcoast wrote:The Sydney Morning Herald is starting a campaign to reduce the station access fee on the Airport Line stations.
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/smh-edito ... 0ebqe.html
Restarting
Roderick Smith

Re: Sydney airport traffic chaos & pricing

Post by Roderick Smith »

Roderick.

January 7 2018 How travellers are avoiding the high cost of catching the train to Sydney Airport Travellers are getting creative to find cheaper, alternate ways to get to and from Sydney Airport and avoid being slugged the access fee for using the train at the domestic and international terminals.
The latest accounts filed with the corporate regulator for the private operator of the four stations on the nine-kilometre Airport Line tunnel show it paid the government almost $87 million in a "train service fee" in the year to June.
Polish tourists Tom and Andrew walking from Wolli Creek station to Sydney Airport. Photo: Louise Kennerley Commuters must pay $13.80 to use the two Airport Link stations on top of their original journey cost. When Polish tourists Tom and Andrew saw that their trip to the international airport on bus and train would cost them more than $36 from Bondi they started looking at other options.
"We checked Uber but from our location, the price was one thing and the time, at this time of the day, it would be about one hour," said Tom.
Related Articles
State collects $87m in single year from airport station fees So instead of paying the gate fee to get a train to the international airport, the men decided they would instead catch a train to Wolli Creek and walk the two kilometres to the international terminal.
And while it made for interesting scenes as they wheeled their luggage along the banks of the Cooks River, past people practising tai chi in the park, the two of them made savings of over $27.
Canadian tourist David opted for a less strenuous option and took advice from a friend and caught a bus.
By catching a train from where he was staying in Redfern to Banksia and getting the 400 bus into the airport David made savings of $13.55.
By walking to the airport from nearby Wolli Creek, Tom and Andrew made savings of over $27. Photo: Louise Kennerley "Most of my friends are telling me that it is too expensive for the train, [they're] telling me this is the best way," he said.
"It's two things: save money and the challenge ... if I can save half of the costs then why not?"
Canadian David waiting for the bus to Sydney Airport at Banksia train station. Photo: Louise Kennerley Commuting from Wollongong to the airport, 22-year-old Taichi Matsui and three friends found a much more tech-savvy way to save costs.
Instead of paying almost $90 they decided to catch the train to Wolli Creek and catch an Uber for the remaining journey.
Kodai Yasui, Shuia Kamo, Taichi Matsui and Ugyen Tashi would rather order an Uber outside Wolli Creek Station than catch the train to Sydney Airport. Photo: Louise Kennerley This would bring their total journey to around $55, making savings of close to $35 between the four of them.
Not only are commuters making savings going to the airport, but also those coming back to Sydney.
Marnie from the Blue Mountains decides to walk from the Sydney domestic airport to Mascot train station. Photo: Louise Kennerley Marnie, who's originally from Adelaide but now living in the Blue Mountains, was coming back from Adelaide and decided walking to Mascot station was the better option to avoid the gate charges.
"It probably took me like 20 minutes, but I had to stop because of my bags. It was tiring, but I did it on the way there, so it wasn't too bad," she said.
"When I go home back to Adelaide I'll always walk. It doesn't matter where I'm going, I'll always walk."
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cost-of-sydne ... 0ec7x.html
simonl

Post by simonl »

There is no way I can see that the liberal party will agree with this.

I think it was pretty piss poor of the ALP to not include in their platform at the 2015 election. I think they lost interest when they looked at the modelling which was that reducing by 75% would mean only a 17% increase in patronage. I don't believe that modelling either.

Probably, it would trigger material adverse change conditions in the M5 east duplication contract or if the tolling contract has not been let yet, significantly reduce the price which can be charged for that.

Perhaps a new party will emerge, although I won't hold my breath.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

What happened to the trial back on 2004 to fit buses on 400 with transponders to change the traffic lights to help their timekeeping? Apparently the trial was considered successful at the time.

Well I can guess what happened but curious anyway. The answer probably starts with the letters r m s.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

RTA - Roads and Traffic Authoritarian.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”