2017 Train & Bus timetable changes

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
TSE_SecretAni
Favourite Vehicle: Yutong E12, Bustech VST, Orana

Re: 2017 Train & Bus timetable changes

Post by TSE_SecretAni »

Is the T9 Northern Line (New Line) will be red? Or still the same yellow line like T1 Northern Line from Epping to City via Strathfield
swtt

Post by swtt »

TSE_SecretAni wrote:Is the T9 Northern Line (New Line) will be red? Or still the same yellow line like T1 Northern Line from Epping to City via Strathfield
Where did you read about a T9 Northern Line?
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

I phoned 131500, twice, requesting a printed bus timetable. Weeks later I got a single slip of paper in the post headed "Plan your trip with State Transit", describing how to get info on the internet - no explanation, no apology.
I needed a paper timetable; that's why I went to the trouble of asking for one.
131500 is hopeless.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

That is NOT a 131500 problem. It depends for which operator you were requesting a timetable. State Transit, Hillsbus and Internet are no longer proving printed timetable - so if you want one, you can print one off yourself from the Transport Info timetables even though they may be of a different standard to what we are used to. That is the way we are heading. Other operators will go the same way as they will no longer receive compensation for printing timetables.
Living in the Shire.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Fleet Lists wrote:That is the way we are heading. Other operators will go the same way as they will no longer receive compensation for printing timetables.
As the information stream drops to the LCD and the 'Our Glad' promises turn out to be as insubstantial as everything else.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

[quote="Fleet Lists"]That is NOT a 131500 problem. It depends for which operator you were requesting a timetable. State Transit, Hillsbus and Internet are no longer proving printed timetable - so if you want one, you can print one off yourself from the Transport Info timetables even though they may be of a different standard to what we are used to. That is the way we are heading. Other operators will go the same way as they will no longer receive compensation for printing timetables.[/quote]

The timetable requested was for a State Transit service.
In a letter to the Sydney Morning Herald on 25 November 2017, Tony Braxton-Smith, Deputy Secretary, Customer Services, Transport for NSW, said "We understand that some customers require printed timetables". He also claimed "500 000 printed timetables are now available". I'm about to try 131500 again, quoting him.

EDIT, 21.12.17.
I finally got my STA printed timetable, by post. Unfortunately, it was two days after the date I had chosen to travel.
Last edited by lunchbox on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Did he mean train timetables?

They can be obtained but you have to go to the office to ask. They don't seem to be on display, I presume because of low print runs.

T2 is literally half an inch thick.
Liamena

Post by Liamena »

It would be cheaper for them to print one and mail it to you, when you call, instead of printing 500,000 of the wrong ones and then throwing them away later.

There is probably only a couple of hundred people who will ask.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Busways offer posted timetables here:

https://www.busways.com.au/travelling-w ... -timetable

I don't know if it is a web print or a traditional timetable layout.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Mr Twig wrote:
boronia wrote:That might be considered too hard for westies to understand?
You’re probably right. :)

I think Westmead was the same problem. 8V too long for the platforms.
The Westmead stoppers were off peak, so normally only 4V. Anyway, regualr BMT passengers would be used to short platforms
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

Sydney Trains boss says no turning back on new rail timetable
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sydney-trains ... 02z6y.html

Interestingly the article says minor changes will be made to the Airport Line timetable within the next few weeks.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

What would that be Padstow & Riverwood being added back to the limited stops train or trains running non-stop through Green Sq & Mascot Stations. It would be interesting to see what is done, since dwell times are challenging at Green Square and Mascot though I've seen some measures to deal with that by removing benches on the citybound platform at Green Square.
Stu

Post by Stu »

T8 timetable modification if most probably due to the poor connection time between limited stops services and all stops services. I would suspect that another singular station will be added to the limited stops services between the City and Macarthur to aid better connections beteeen services. It is sheer arrogance to allow the all stations service to depart Revesby 3 minutes before the city bound service from Macrthur arrives into Revesby and then expect customers to happily wait 12 minutes for the next all stations service to depart Revesby. The weekend provides 0 minutes of connection time, although there is a 30-60 second window of opportunity it will only be successful if both trains are on the same island platform (1 & 2), good luck trying to whip quickly up one stair case and down another stair case if the all stations services is on the other platform island (3 & 4) - depends on how fit you are and what carriage that you on in the Macarthur train as toubalight from it.

The positive note is the that the station staff are displaying exemplary behaviour and professionalism by being highly visible to customers all day, answering questions, assisting people in accessing the correct from the correct platform plus frequent audio announcements across the platforms.
Liamena

Post by Liamena »

It seems to me that Kingsgrove would be a better place for the limited stops trains to stop. There are buses there ?
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Frosty wrote: It would be interesting to see what is done, since dwell times are challenging at Green Square and Mascot though I've seen some measures to deal with that by removing benches on the citybound platform at Green Square.

The manager of airport link told an ARHS visit some years ago, before the gate fee removal at the two stations, that the cheap construction method means a rebuild will be needed as patronage grows.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Liamena wrote:It seems to me that Kingsgrove would be a better place for the limited stops trains to stop. There are buses there ?
Better than where? Not many bus services at Kingsgrove.
Living in the Shire.
molybtek

Post by molybtek »

Hopefully the changes to the T8 trains will also include Glenfield-Macarthur section as well because during the peak, there are gaps of about 20 minutes between trains, and the train for Macarthur departs a few minutes before the T5 train arrives at Glenfield.
Liamena

Post by Liamena »

Doesn't the 400 go past Kingsgrove on the way to Campsie ?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Living in the Shire.
quaidy

Post by quaidy »

Stu wrote:T8 timetable modification if most probably due to the poor connection time between limited stops services and all stops services. I would suspect that another singular station will be added to the limited stops services between the City and Macarthur to aid better connections beteeen services. It is sheer arrogance to allow the all stations service to depart Revesby 3 minutes before the city bound service from Macrthur arrives into Revesby and then expect customers to happily wait 12 minutes for the next all stations service to depart Revesby. The weekend provides 0 minutes of connection time, although there is a 30-60 second window of opportunity it will only be successful if both trains are on the same island platform (1 & 2), good luck trying to whip quickly up one stair case and down another stair case if the all stations services is on the other platform island (3 & 4) - depends on how fit you are and what carriage that you on in the Macarthur train as toubalight from it.

The positive note is the that the station staff are displaying exemplary behaviour and professionalism by being highly visible to customers all day, answering questions, assisting people in accessing the correct from the correct platform plus frequent audio announcements across the platforms.
It would be almost impossible to keep everybody happy with connections. The best thing is to increase frequency to at least every 15 minutes, so that worst-case wait times are minimized. I can’t imagine there would be huge volumes of people traveling from Campbelltown and getting off at stations between Revesby and Wolli Creek .
aman

Post by aman »

Stu wrote:T8 timetable modification if most probably due to the poor connection time between limited stops services and all stops services. I would suspect that another singular station will be added to the limited stops services between the City and Macarthur to aid better connections beteeen services. It is sheer arrogance to allow the all stations service to depart Revesby 3 minutes before the city bound service from Macrthur arrives into Revesby and then expect customers to happily wait 12 minutes for the next all stations service to depart Revesby. The weekend provides 0 minutes of connection time, although there is a 30-60 second window of opportunity it will only be successful if both trains are on the same island platform (1 & 2), good luck trying to whip quickly up one stair case and down another stair case if the all stations services is on the other platform island (3 & 4) - depends on how fit you are and what carriage that you on in the Macarthur train as toubalight from it.

I honestly don't think they'll add Padstow and Riverwood back into the stopping patterns, it greatly reduces operational flexibility by forcing the trains to use the local tracks. They would have known when they did the timetable that the connections weren't possible, I'm pretty sure they correlated the data and realised that not many people do the transfer at Revesby (compared to pure city bound passengers). You can't please everyone but I can't see them adding those stops back.
Spending all that money for 10 trains a day either way is a waste of money.

They do provide an interchange at Padstow and Riverwood during peak, I'm guessing the data is saying that's when the large majority of transfers occur. (I think a few go All to Holsworthy - Padstow - Riverwood - Wolli Creek) and the interchange time is quite reasonable. (around 3 mins wait looking at the TT)
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Maybe they could be modifying the weekend timetable as between Wolli Creek & City its a weird 4-11 minute frequency. Since it kind of creates uneven loadings on the trains through the Airport stations also does rely on all stops train to run on time as to not hold up the limited stops train between Wolli & the City.

They could also maybe add an extra 30 seconds in dwell times at Green Square & Mascot to ensure on-time running since patronage is going to grow even further. Unless they start running express buses parallel to the railway line.
Stu

Post by Stu »

I have to admit that I do enjoy the boost in frequency although I do miss the previous better standard of connections between the limited stops service and the all stations service. Maybe an all stations service that would normally commence from Revesby could be modified to depart platform 1 at East Hills and slotted in between the respective limited stops services from Macarthur.
aman

Post by aman »

Frosty wrote:Maybe they could be modifying the weekend timetable as between Wolli Creek & City its a weird 4-11 minute frequency. Since it kind of creates uneven loadings on the trains through the Airport stations also does rely on all stops train to run on time as to not hold up the limited stops train between Wolli & the City.

They could also maybe add an extra 30 seconds in dwell times at Green Square & Mascot to ensure on-time running since patronage is going to grow even further. Unless they start running express buses parallel to the railway line.
Yeah sure, adding dwell times is the solution. Sooner it would be quicker to walk. I propose adding 10 minutes dwell time to all stations, then they can't possibly be late, until the next Monday occurs.
Liamena

Post by Liamena »

It does seem rather pointless that they built the 4 tracks and don't use them. But I only go there on weekends.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”