2017-8 NSW State Budget - Buses

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
swtt

Re: 2017-8 NSW State Budget - Buses

Post by swtt »

Frosty wrote:
I can see the N20 after Rockdale using the same 400 route alignment until Mascot Station then run via Botany Rd to Green Square then towards the City via Redfern (Regent St) or Central via Elizabeth St. For a second I thought they were extending the 400 24 hours from BJ to Easties

It does say 400 Burwood --> Bondi is getting a 24 hr service, otherwise it would have been simply like that of M20 - Zetland to Wynyard via Central.

N81 ex Parramatta would probably be mirroring Routes 525 to Olympic Park (patronage generators at Vic Rd, Ermington & Silverwater), then loop around to Wentworth Point and Rhodes then duplicate N80 to the city.

I'd be interested in which bit of 533 is enhanced. IMO the 534 should be scrapped altogether as many of its trips simply stop at Ryde (and don't proceed to West Ryde) -- not withstanding its appalling 40 min (non memory timetable) frequency. Whereas the 533 south of Ryde deserves a frequency upgrade given the massive patronage generator around Wentworth Point. Maybe a full time 533?
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

I made the list of changes easier to read:
Sydney Metropolitan

More than 1,600 additional services on the following routes:
Routes 195, 196, 197 Mona Vale to Gordon and Macquarie Park via St Ives;
Route 251 Lane Cove West to City via Lane Cove;
Route 270 Frenchs Forest District to City;
Route 280 Chatswood to Warringah Mall via Frenchs Forest;
Route 292 Marsfield and Macquarie Park to City via Lane Cove;
Routes 324, 325 Watsons Bay to Edgecliff via Rose Bay;
Route 352 Marrickville Metro to Bondi Junction via Newtown and Surry Hills;
Route 353 Eastgardens to Bondi Junction via Coogee;
Route 370 Leichhardt to Coogee via Newtown and Green Square;
Routes 374, X74 Coogee to City;
Routes 392, X92 Little Bay to City via Eastgardens and Kingsford;
Route 418 Burwood to Bondi Junction via Sydenham and Mascot;
Route 461 Burwood to City via Parramatta Road;
Route 504 Chiswick to City via Drummoyne;
Route 506 Macquarie Park and East Ryde to City via Drummoyne;
Routes 533, 534 Sydney Olympic Park and Ryde to Chatswood via Wentworth Point and Mowbray Road;
Route 914 Greenacre to Strathfield;
Route M20 Zetland to Wynyard via Central Station;
Route M52 Parramatta to City via Victoria Road

New, extended or enhanced all-night services on the following routes:
Route 400 Burwood to Bondi Junction via Sydney Airport;
Route 423 Kingsgrove to City via Earlwood and Newtown;
Route N20 Riverwood to City via Rockdale, Sydney Airport and Green Square;
Route N81 Parramatta to City via Sydney Olympic Park and Wentworth Point (Thursday-Saturday only);
Route N91 Bondi Junction to Macquarie Park via Kings Cross, City and Chatswood

Western Sydney (including Hills District and South West):

More than 1,500 additional services, including 11 new or extended routes:
Route 632 Pennant Hills to Rouse Hill Town Centre via Castle Hill and Norwest;
Route 746 Riverstone to Rouse Hill Town Centre via Box Hill;
Route 747 Marsden Park to Rouse Hill Town Centre via Riverstone;
Route 751 Blacktown to Rouse Hill Town Centre via Colebee and Marsden Park;
Route 774 Mt Druitt to Penrith via St Marys and Caddens;
Route 840 Campbelltown to Leppington via Gregory Hills and Oran Park;
Route 853, 854 Liverpool to Edmondson Park via Carnes Hill;
Route 859 Oran Park to Minto via Catherine Field;
Route 868 Edmondson Park to Ingleburn via Ingleburn Industrial Area;
Route 896 Oran Park to Campbelltown via Harrington Park and Narellan

Enhanced services on the following routes:
Route 614X Crestwood to City via M2;
Route 711 Parramatta to Children's Hospital at Westmead;
Route 817 Cabramatta to Fairfield via Bonnyrigg and Prairiewood;
Route 887 Campbelltown to Wollongong via Appin;
Route M60 Hornsby to Parramatta via Castle Hill;
Route M61 Castle Hill to City via M2;
Route T80 Liverpool to Parramatta via Bonnyrigg and Prairiewood

New all-night services on the following route:
Route M54 Parramatta to Macquarie Park via Carlingford
swtt

Post by swtt »

The other bits and pieces:

* Finally 607X isn't getting an increase :P

* 914 is a surprise. I'm surprised it's not M90 getting the boost as the suburban route.

* I don't know about 353, but it has never really been that full? It hasn't even received a revised TT for years!

* 461 will deserve every increase possible. Again still an appalling 20 min frequency off peak day times and 30 min frequency weekends - for a purported Rapid route.

* M60 will be interesting. It's quite empty between Pennant Hills and Hornsby as it almost duplicates the train line, as well as being the worst section of Pennant Hills Road which it has to cover.
Richard290
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B8RLE Volgren Optimus

Post by Richard290 »

I bet the 632 extension will probably take over the Castle Towers to Rouse Hill TC (via Carrington Rd, President Road and Memorial Ave) segment of current route 619, which currently operates in peak as a heavily-used short working between Macquarie Park and Castle Hill Interchange. Then the awkwardly-conjoined Castlewood loop of current route 632 can be swapped in favour of a short extension of the current short-working of 619, which predominantly terminates at Castle Hill anyway.
Living at the north end of the 513 & 535. and the confluence of 513, 535, 546, 549, 550, 553, 625 & 630.
Richard290

Post by Richard290 »

Route548 wrote:
The 292 i think is way overdue for a frequency increase as it only runs hourly on Sundays/holidays save for specific periods in the early AM and late afternoon and it also takes pressure off the 288 on the weekend when it is the only Epping Rd/Freeway service that is 'relatively' frequent seeing that it only runs every 30 mins anyway.
On Saturdays the 288 runs at 4bph between Erskine Street (Barangaroo) and Macquarie Centre, with two out of the four services continuing to Cambridge Street, Epping.
The 292 does runs hourly in the middle of day on both Saturdays and Sundays, but does indeed revert to an approximate half-hourly frequency in the mornings and evenings. Not surprising since it does service Macquarie Uni and most of Macquarie Park unlike its brothers the 288 and the 291 which serve more quiet residential areas to the south.
Living at the north end of the 513 & 535. and the confluence of 513, 535, 546, 549, 550, 553, 625 & 630.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Don't forget the purported diversion of Route 292 to Mowbray Road. It might be happening as soon as September.

If it were the case, then an hourly frequency needs to be beefed up big time to make it a worthwhile service and not just a community service obligation style frequency.
Stu

Post by Stu »

swtt wrote:The other bits and pieces:

* Finally 607X isn't getting an increase :P

* 914 is a surprise. I'm surprised it's not M90 getting the boost as the suburban route.

* I don't know about 353, but it has never really been that full? It hasn't even received a revised TT for years!

* 461 will deserve every increase possible. Again still an appalling 20 min frequency off peak day times and 30 min frequency weekends - for a purported Rapid route.

* M60 will be interesting. It's quite empty between Pennant Hills and Hornsby as it almost duplicates the train line, as well as being the worst section of Pennant Hills Road which it has to cover.

The route 353 can be quite busy in peak periods and mostly at the terminus ends - especially bji. The last timetable update only added an AM trip inbound to bji and a PM trip outbound to Coogee (2 x short workings). Maybe these two current short working trips should be extended and add some more short workings during the Mon-Fri or maybe some late Saturday night short workings between bji & Coogee.

I'm guessing that the 534 will be modified to operate to West Ryde on a full time basis.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Stu wrote:I'm guessing that the 534 will be modified to operate to West Ryde on a full time basis.
What patronage is present to justify such an excellent service between Top Ryde and West Ryde, now that the 501+M52 fills that void?
VivalaBuses
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K310UB, Volvo B7RLE

Post by VivalaBuses »

Richard290 wrote:I bet the 632 extension will probably take over the Castle Towers to Rouse Hill TC (via Carrington Rd, President Road and Memorial Ave) segment of current route 619, which currently operates in peak as a heavily-used short working between Macquarie Park and Castle Hill Interchange. Then the awkwardly-conjoined Castlewood loop of current route 632 can be swapped in favour of a short extension of the current short-working of 619, which predominantly terminates at Castle Hill anyway.
The list says that 632 will go via Norwest, which is not served by 619. The Castlewood situation can be solved by tacking it onto the 633 instead.

My concern is the Rouse Hill terminus - with the ongoing NWRL construction, is there enough space to handle 4 extra routes?
Time for a new signature!
grog

Post by grog »

Glad to see increased service on a number of cross regional routes. Looking forward to details on routes 352, 353, 370 and 418.
simonl

Post by simonl »

swtt wrote:Wow - N91 Bondi Jn to Macquarie Park!

Didn't even catch that in the midst of the slab of text!!!!
Certainly unexpected. Why would you terminate at bj when there is already a route to there? You could go on to somewhere else, eg bronte
Sent from my GT-S6102 using Tapatalk 2
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

tonyp wrote:It looks like Ms Berejiklian and Mr Preston understand far more about the different functions of various types of buses than Mr Constance
I assume you mean Boris Constance, soon to be Foreign Minister and a candidate for PM? With a bus order cancelled after he leaves?
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

The M54 seems to be a great standout success of recent years, already with operating hours much beyond standard metrobus services and now all night. Considering that there were comments questioning its viability when it was established.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Tonymercury wrote: I assume you mean Boris Constance, soon to be Foreign Minister and a candidate for PM? With a bus order cancelled after he leaves?
So we're going to have a bus known as the "AndyMaster"?

Honest, it's like watching the moment disaster struck in that "Ten seconds from disaster" TV series. Just when one had resigned oneself to the knowledge that the bus industry in NSW was never going to get any better but thought that it couldn't possibly get any worse, it got worse. I also thought I'd also never agree with anything that came out of the RTBU but there you go, something positive!

You probably saw the comment from Victoria on that other forum: "Warning, you are now entering NSW, please set your clock back 20 years. That sort of intellectual dishonesty [replacing artics with deckers because the former "take up more road space"] has, I hope, long gone down here in Victoria... anyone who describes any public transport as 'congestion-causing' may have missed the point".

I think you and I know that in NSW they haven't missed the point. The policy here is automobiles first and this proceeds unabated.

My only hope is that they're not actually going to actively sell off the artics but let them run until the end of their service lives. By that time, I hope some of the young people entering the industry with their broader knowledge and better understanding of these issues (including knowledge of appropriate engineering solutions) will be replacing the old-school stuck-in-a-ruts who have spent the last 60 years destroying any positive contribution that buses can make to growing the urban public transport task. I have much faith in the young, perhaps occasionally misplaced!

Ten years ago I was optimistically thinking that, what the heck, we'll be able to replace the worst of it with trams, but then came the dreadful realisation that the NSW government is as capable of royally stuffing tram projects as effectively as any other PT project, so we won't be seeing too many new tramways at those prices any time soon. And just when it's been found that it's too difficult to get trams back to Bondi Beach to solve that little problem, we get this. It'll be really interesting watching deckers and 12 metre buses doing that job. At my age it's "been there, done that, nah it didn't work".

If they want to get some artics out of sight there in Sydney, perhaps they could send some down here for the Gong Shuttle. Would be appreciated thanks. And some AndyMasters for the Electoral District of Bega while you're at it thanks.

Now I'll go find a wall somewhere to bang my head against.
swtt

Post by swtt »

simonl wrote:
swtt wrote:Wow - N91 Bondi Jn to Macquarie Park!

Didn't even catch that in the midst of the slab of text!!!!
Certainly unexpected. Why would you terminate at bj when there is already a route to there? You could go on to somewhere else, eg bronte
Sent from my GT-S6102 using Tapatalk 2
I'm not quite sure either whether a route should be NightRide or an actual bus route.

E.g. 520 gets an all night service, but not classified as nightride.

New bus service which attempts to duplicate a rail line (not entirely) gets the nightride designation (N81, N91)

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The 520 does not mimic a train route, it is just a regular bus service like the Anzac Pde and Bondi, etc all nighters
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

I'm glad to see planned upgrades for some of these routes. Living close to the 353, 370, 374 and x74 I know all of these routes are very popular and often very full.
The 353 is usually full by Coogee towards Bondi during morning peak, with people living after Coogee usually having to wilt for one of the short running beginning in Coogee to get on.
The 370 is always packed between Coogee and Green Square with students travelling to UNSW so more services are welcome.
The 374 and x74 often get full at the first few stops in Coogee particularly during peak hour, so more services here would allow better service capacity through Randwick
More 400s particularly late at night is good as it will allow better access to the Airport later at night.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
swtt

Post by swtt »

boronia wrote:The 520 does not mimic a train route, it is just a regular bus service like the Anzac Pde and Bondi, etc all nighters
Neither would N81 :P

At least, from Rhodes --> Wentworth Pt --> SOP --> Parra!
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The official announcement which also includes Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Newcastle and Illawarra but as expected no implementation dates at this point in time
http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/newsroo ... us-bonanza
NSW Budget brings bus bonanza
13 June 2017

Premier Gladys Berejiklian today announced more than 170 new buses will be purchased in the NSW Budget, bringing thousands of additional and improved weekly services to customers across the state.

“I am excited to confirm today that this massive budget boost will not only replace 134 of our ageing bus fleet, it will add 42 additional buses and deliver 3300 more services a week,” Ms Berejiklian said.

“This is another way we’re delivering real improvements to services that people rely on every day.”

Treasurer Dominic Perrottet said, “This Government continues to bring public transport into the 21st Century, and once again this year we are committed to funding these services that the people of NSW deserve as part of our state’s $1.5 billion bus budget.”

Andrew Constance, Minister for Transport and Infrastructure said today’s announcement isn't just about more services but also creates new routes, provides extended operating hours and delivers bus priority infrastructure where it is needed the most.

“This is not just about adding more services, but also allowing for future growth,” Mr Constance said.

New and enhanced services are being added in growth centres like Macquarie Park, Olympic Park and Marsden Park, while residential areas outside of Sydney like Huntlee in the Hunter, Calderwood in the Illawarra and Springwood in the Blue Mountains will get enhanced services and better intra-regional links.

“We’re also planning improvements to key corridors around Sydney from Macquarie Park to Burwood which will provide better bus access and improved reliability of bus services.

“Our new bus fleet will also include six double-deck buses as part of our commitment to phase out bendy-buses that cause increased congestion on our streets.”

The additional buses and services forms part of the 2017/18 Growth Services program and delivers on priorities highlighted in the Sydney’s Bus Future plan.
2017/18 Growth Services Program
Western Sydney (including Hills District and South West)

More than 1,500 additional services, including 11 new or extended routes:

Route 632 Pennant Hills to Rouse Hill Town Centre via Castle Hill and Norwest
Route 746 Riverstone to Rouse Hill Town Centre via Box Hill
Route 747 Marsden Park to Rouse Hill Town Centre via Riverstone
Route 751 Blacktown to Rouse Hill Town Centre via Colebee and Marsden Park
Route 774 Mt Druitt to Penrith via St Marys and Caddens
Route 840 Campbelltown to Leppington via Gregory Hills and Oran Park
Route 853, 854 Liverpool to Edmondson Park via Carnes Hill
Route 859 Oran Park to Minto via Catherine Field
Route 868 Edmondson Park to Ingleburn via Ingleburn Industrial Area
Route 896 Oran Park to Campbelltown via Harrington Park and Narellan

Enhanced services on the following routes:

Route 614X Crestwood to City via M2
Route 711 Parramatta to Children’s Hospital at Westmead
Route 817 Cabramatta to Fairfield via Bonnyrigg and Prairiewood
Route 887 Campbelltown to Wollongong via Appin
Route M60 Hornsby to Parramatta via Castle Hill
Route M61 Castle Hill to City via M2
Route T80 Liverpool to Parramatta via Bonnyrigg and Prairiewood

New all-night services on the following route:

Route M54 Parramatta to Macquarie Park via Carlingford

Sydney Metropolitan

More than 1,600 additional services on the following routes:

Routes 195, 196, 197 Mona Vale to Gordon and Macquarie Park via St Ives
Route 251 Lane Cove West to City via Lane Cove
Route 270 Frenchs Forest District to City
Route 280 Chatswood to Warringah Mall via Frenchs Forest
Route 292 Marsfield and Macquarie Park to City via Lane Cove
Routes 324, 325 Watsons Bay to Edgecliff via Rose Bay
Route 352 Marrickville Metro to Bondi Junction via Newtown and Surry Hills
Route 353 Eastgardens to Bondi Junction via Coogee
Route 370 Leichhardt to Coogee via Newtown and Green Square
Routes 374, X74 Coogee to City
Routes 392, X92 Little Bay to City via Eastgardens and Kingsford
Route 418 Burwood to Bondi Junction via Sydenham and Mascot
Route 461 Burwood to City via Parramatta Road
Route 504 Chiswick to City via Drummoyne
Route 506 Macquarie Park and East Ryde to City via Drummoyne
Routes 533, 534 Sydney Olympic Park and Ryde to Chatswood via Wentworth Point and Mowbray Road
Route 914 Greenacre to Strathfield
Route M20 Zetland to Wynyard via Central Station
Route M52 Parramatta to City via Victoria Road

New, extended or enhanced all-night services on the following routes:

Route 400 Burwood to Bondi Junction via Sydney Airport
Route 423 Kingsgrove to City via Earlwood and Newtown
Route N20 Riverwood to City via Rockdale, Sydney Airport and Green Square
Route N81 Parramatta to City via Sydney Olympic Park and Wentworth Point (Thursday-Saturday only)
Route N91 Bondi Junction to Macquarie Park via Kings Cross, City and Chatswood

Outer Metropolitan

More than 100 additional weekly services on the following routes:
Lower Hunter

Route 130 Fingal Bay to Newcastle via Nelson Bay and Anna Bay
Route 166 Cessnock and Kurri Kurri to Stockland Green Hills via Maitland
Route 179 North Rothbury to Stockland Green Hills via Maitland
Route 262 Cameron Park to Charlestown via Cardiff
Route 269 Toronto to Charlestown
Route 270 Toronto West to Wallsend via Stockland Glendale
Route 275 Morisset to Toronto via Wangi Wangi

Central Coast

More than 100 additional weekly services on the following routes:
Routes 36, 37 Gosford to Westfield Tuggerah via Ourimbah
Route 47 Tuggerah to Ourimbah
Route 64 Woy Woy to Erina Fair via Ettalong Beach and Kincumber

Blue Mountains

More than 40 additional weekly services on the following routes:
Routes 688, 689 Penrith to Emu Heights and Leonay
Route 692 Winmalee to Springwood

Illawarra

Route 75 Calderwood and Tullimbar to Stockland Shellharbour extended
Living in the Shire.
Geo101

Post by Geo101 »

boronia wrote:The 520 does not mimic a train route, it is just a regular bus service like the Anzac Pde and Bondi, etc all nighters
It pretty much follows the M52 route, so wonder why they don't just make the M52 24/7?
Geo101

Post by Geo101 »

Fleet Lists wrote: Route N81 Parramatta to City via Sydney Olympic Park and Wentworth Point (Thursday-Saturday only)
I wonder why this is only Thursday to Saturday? I think an Olympic Park 7 day 24/7 service could work.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

With emphasis on the word "could" - no certainty.
Living in the Shire.
Geo101

Post by Geo101 »

Fleet Lists wrote:With emphasis on the word "could" - no certainty.
Olympic Park certainly isn't a 7 day a week customer base, but surely with the Parra to CBD as the end points, there would be patronage?

In saying that, there are plenty of staff who work at the venues (ANZ, Kudos, exhibition, etc) and finish late (or start early) and use the existing taxi rank to get to Strathfield after hours for the connecting trains and Nightride services from there.

I've be been involved in the past with events at Olympic Park, and we have had to organise a bus to ferry staff back and forth to Strathfield after finishing late, just to give them assurance they won't be in the lurch after work.

On the other hand, the taxi rank near the Novotel hotel is pretty reliable for late night trips to Strathfield, and with a few people sharing, it seems to work OK.
Richard290

Post by Richard290 »

Geo101 wrote:
It pretty much follows the M52 route, so wonder why they don't just make the M52 24/7?
The 520 makes all stops along Victoria Road including the portion between White Bay and Beazley Street, Ryde whereas the M52 makes limited stops between those two points during the daytime.
Also, Route 520 makes a diversion to Marlow Ave, Denistone to cross the Main Northern Line along with the 501, whereas the M52 runs direct along Victoria Road.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Geo101

Post by Geo101 »

Richard290 wrote:
The 520 makes all stops along Victoria Road including the portion between White Bay and Beazley Street, Ryde whereas the M52 makes limited stops between those two points during the daytime.
Also, Route 520 makes a diversion to Marlow Ave, Denistone to cross the Main Northern Line along with the 501, whereas the M52 runs direct along Victoria Road
Couldn't they do the diversion (and extra stops) after hours, similar to how routes currently do.

For example the 444/445 route which does doglegs during the daytime. The same could be done with the M52 after hours, it could do the all stops, and the diversion in West Ryde to pick up the West Ryde Station.
Last edited by Geo101 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”