• Advertisement

STA Privatisation / Franchising

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion

Re: STA Privatisation / Franchising

Postby Swift » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:20 am

burrumbus wrote:I am pretty confident that's why the Airport Express 300/350 services were discontinued,aside from a slide in patronage and in reliabilty.Another board member may be able to confirm that.

What caused that unreliability? Yep, a rubbish road network with no bus priority measures. The general pubic blame the bus and the bus only.
American Poor Handling, Floaty Riding Tank of the Week: 1972 Ford Galaxie 500.
Public transport and public toilets. Both filthy disease ridden environments. One common factor: the public.
Swift

Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Postby Fleet Lists » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:17 pm

Unsubstantiated posts removed.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Swift » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:47 pm

Fleet Lists wrote:Unsubstantiated posts removed.

Congratulations on 1000 thanks as at time of my post.
Public transport and public toilets. Both filthy disease ridden environments. One common factor: the public.
Swift

Postby Linto63 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:53 pm

Presumably the deleted posts were about ________ being selected as the preferred tenderer, the identity of which is apparently a bit of an open secret in industry circles.
Linto63

Postby Swift » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:34 pm

The cat is out of the bag methinks.
Swift

Postby moa999 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:10 am

Is there a reason why people can't talk about a rumour? So long as it's not quoted as fact I don't see an issuue
moa999

Postby Fleet Lists » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:33 am

No objection to that - the deleted post was posted as a fact hence deleted.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Stu » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:57 am

Some new rumours floating around:
- will be operated by W.
- new timetable in April.
- re-routed to stop in Banks Ave.

Transit Systems continues to be a name that has been thrown around quite a bit recently.
Stu

Postby Swift » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:50 am

Stu wrote:Some new rumours floating around:
- will be operated by W.
- new timetable in April.
- re-routed to stop in Banks Ave.

Transit Systems continues to be a name that has been thrown around quite a bit recently.

Goodbye 14.5, hello 18!
Swift

Postby Frosty » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:13 am

Will the 400 be changed both ways or will it be just heading westbound towards Mascot. If that does happen the only issue with the Banks Ave stop is the access into the shopping centre isn’t very good ever since Westfield put in the Resturants extension . If the Banks Ave change happens the 301 should also be moved to start at Banks Ave.

@Swift I don’t think there will be 18m bendies there aren’t many extra.
Frosty

Postby tonyp » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:35 am

Frosty wrote:
@Swift I don’t think there will be 18m bendies there aren’t many extra.

There are never anywhere near enough of these buses anywhere in Australia (except Nowra NSW).
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby Swift » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:58 pm

tonyp wrote:
There are never anywhere near enough of these buses anywhere in Australia (except Nowra NSW).

230 is a definite improvement on the 30 the STA had before. I think they could redistribute enough away from runs where they are plainly of no benefit.
Don't forget B -line. Now if only we could wrangle singe more from V & F, who seem to be very reluctant to let then go.
Swift

Postby Fleet Lists » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:08 pm

Swift wrote:Don't forget B -line. Now if only we could wrangle singe more from V & F, who seem to be very reluctant to let then go.

It is not up to them to let them go or not. That would be head office decision.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Swift » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:44 pm

Fleet Lists wrote:
Swift wrote:Don't forget B -line. Now if only we could wrangle singe (sic) more from V & F, who seem to be very reluctant to let then go.

It is not up to them to let them go or not. That would be head office decision.

The right people could lobby. It's not unknown to happen in organisations.
Swift

Postby Fleet Lists » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:44 pm

I am well aware of that but you would think management would not take too much of that.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby geracoop » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:09 pm

I see Labor may have let the cat out of the bag.....

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newsl ... 2ac3f2d049

THE “worst kept secret in town” was given a very public airing today when the name of the new private operator for Sydney’s inner west buses was revealed in State Parliament.

Transit Systems, which privately operates public buses in western Sydney, was named by NSW Labor despite no official announcement being made.

Opposition Transport spokeswoman Jodi McKay said she understood a decision had been made “three weeks ago” and accused Transport Minister Andrew Constance of delaying an announcement as he “dealt with backlash from the train dispute and ferry saga”.

“This is the worst kept secret in town,” Ms McKay said.

Mr Constance said the Region 6 contract was still in the process of being finalised, although an announcement was due “early in 2018”.

Mr Constance said customer complaints and poor services were behind the decision to put the service to private tender

“I was pushed into action when the member for Strathfield went to the Inner West Courier newspaper demanding I take action about the 33-34,000 complaints ... in the Region 6 contract area,” he said.

“When the new operator is in place on July 1 there is absolutely going to be an improvement in the delivery of bus services in the inner west”.

Transit Systems has run the Region 3 bus services since October 2013, operating out of hubs at Fairfield, Liverpool and Parramatta.

Data from Transport from NSW shows the service area has a customer satisfaction rate of 87 per cent, compared to the 80 per cent in Region 6.

The Courier has contacted Transit Systems for comment but did not receive a response at the time of publication.

More than 20,000 people have signed petitions against the sell-off, amid concerns it will lead to an increase in substandard services.
geracoop

Favourite Vehicle: Merc 0305 and MAN SL202

Postby Swift » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:27 pm

"Whoever" is the "winner" will have the steepest learning curve of their lives, if they think outer suburban services are the same as region six. It'll be region SUX if they stuff it up. :lol: :twisted:
The prolific complainers only have themselves to blame for losing government buses forever. They now have to lie in the bed they have made.
Swift

Postby burrumbus » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:39 pm

Swift wrote:"Whoever" is the "winner" will have the steepest learning curve of their lives, if they think outer suburban services are the same as region six. It'll be region SUX if they stuff it up. :lol: :twisted:
The prolific complainers only have themselves to blame for losing government buses forever. They now have to lie in the bed they have made.

Remember Transit Systems have operations in London so they would have good experience in operating bus services in heavily congested areas.
burrumbus

Postby Linto63 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:24 pm

burrumbus wrote:Remember Transit Systems have operations in London so they would have good experience in operating bus services in heavily congested areas.
As well as Singapore, am guessing its operations in Adelaide and Perth are probably not in as congested areas. Transit Systems' success has been known within the industry since mid-January and seemingly in Macquarie Street. Was pencilled in to be announced, but then the whole train strike thing blew up, along with all other transport related announcements, it has been delayed until this is closed out. Will be interesting to see what Transit Systems' plans are, assuming they are being given some input to the network structure like Keolis Downer have been in Newcastle.
Linto63

Postby Swift » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:26 pm

burrumbus wrote:
Swift wrote:"Whoever" is the "winner" will have the steepest learning curve of their lives, if they think outer suburban services are the same as region six. It'll be region SUX if they stuff it up. :lol: :twisted:

Remember Transit Systems have operations in London so they would have good experience in operating bus services in heavily congested areas.

"Would" they be able to bring enough of this outstanding expertise all the way here at short notice?
If so, region six will be another Sydney Trains, staffed with British "talent" behind the scenes, and we know how world leading the British are on delivering their style of bus service.
Enjoy that comfy bed region six dwellers. :lol:
Swift

Postby Linto63 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:44 pm

Tower Transit have lost quite a few routes in London in recent tenders, so maybe they will flood the inner west with some of their surplus double deckers? :lol:
Linto63

Postby tonyp » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:38 pm

Are you two trying to give me apoplexy lol! Neither British "expertise" nor British buses (especially double deck) would be welcome as far as I'm concerned. I place far more stock in their experience in Perth, Adelaide and Singapore. They appear to have very good credentials, lets see how it goes.

I thought Barnaby was the worst-kept secret this year, followed by region 6. :roll:
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby andy_centralcoast » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:32 pm

geracoop wrote:I see Labor may have let the cat out of the bag.....

During NSW Parliament today:

Ms JODI McKAY ( Strathfield ): My question is directed to the Minister for Transport and Infrastructure. Will he confirm that the Government has already decided that Transit Systems will operate his privatised bus service in the inner west of Sydney and that he has kept that decision from the public?

Mr ANDREW CONSTANCE ( Bega—Minister for Transport and Infrastructure): I thank the shadow Minister for Transport for her question. I hate to break it to the member, but no contract has been signed.

Ms Jodi McKay: The question is not about the contract.

Ms Jodi McKay: My question did not relate to the contract; it related to the decision.

Mr ANDREW CONSTANCE: To assist the member for Strathfield in relation to her question, I point out that last year Transport for NSW announced that it would call for tenders for a contract for region 6, which is the process. At that time I indicated that in early 2018 the announcement of the successful tenderer would be made. The member for Strathfield has asked a question about one operator. I have indicated that the contract has not been signed and that an announcement will be made when the Government is ready.

Ms Kate Washington: Has the decision been made?

The SPEAKER: Order! The member for Port Stephens did not ask the question.

Mr ANDREW CONSTANCE: I might add that a government agency received more than 40,000 complaints in a contract region, region 6.

Ms Jodi McKay: If the Minister will not announce it, I will.

The SPEAKER: Order! Does the member for Strathfield have a point of order?

Ms Jodi McKay: I am pleased to announce that the Minister has privatised the buses and that Transit Systems will deliver the services.

The SPEAKER: Order! I call the member for Strathfield to order for the first time. She is taking points of order merely to have an argument. I call the member for Strathfield to order for the second time. I call the member for Strathfield to order for the third time. She is completely out of line, and she knows it.

Mr ANDREW CONSTANCE: What we have just witnessed is an example of why Labor should never be in charge of managing contracts or be in government.

Mr ANDREW CONSTANCE: I assure the House that when the new operator is in place on 1 July there absolutely will be an improvement in bus services for the people of the inner west.
andy_centralcoast

Postby Swift » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:49 pm

tonyp wrote: I place far more stock in their experience in Perth, Adelaide and Singapore. They appear to have very good credentials, lets see how it goes.

I prefer them to any of the others. Morale among employees will probably rise too.
Swift

Postby Fleet Lists » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:52 pm

Things certainly seem to have improved after a rather shaky start in region 3.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Sydney / NSW