530 Chatswood to Burwood and other changes from 4th June.

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
robert

Re: 530 Chatswood to Burwood and other changes from 4th June

Post by robert »

Sadly the STA timetable PDF maps are not always 100% correct. For example, the current 536 map suggests the route to/from Chatswood is via Victoria Av alone (no mention of Brown St, Help St or Railway St!).

The map for 265 at Greenwich Wharf appears to lack detail of the loop there.

Others?
For information about private & Government bus routes in Sydney, look at http://www.sydneybusroutes.com
OKO

Post by OKO »

flitter wrote:From memory there's a buses only turn there (at least during the morning rush)... they currently turn on Railway so I'm hoping for a June 4 change
Very unlikely i would think. The advantage in not going via Brown is that there are two layup/drop off spots in railway before Brown joins up with Railway. IF you turn right from Brown into railway, the next two spots are for the North/East, meaning Y only then has one outside the RSL prior to the stop, and one after Katherine for the 533/534.
Stu

Post by Stu »

^ Correct, it is all to do with the lay over.

143, 144 & 200 turn right at Brown St and then set down/lay over on Railway St (Southern end) between Brown St and the curve into Victoria Ave. There is a small yellow sign at this location advising drivers of the lay over arrangements.

536 uses Help St heading into Chatswood.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Both the 430 & 495 commenced under Labor so I'm sure that Liberal are happy to see these services go.

430: this route died a slow death. Originally introduced as a free shuttle loop service by Labor. When the Libs took control, they waited a few short years and then made changes. No longer a free service, flat rate of 1-2 section (pre-opal) / flat rate fare band 1, route extended to operate via Calvary Hospital and frequency was chopped from 15 mins to 30 mins. Continued to carry fresh air just like day one. This service should have been rebranded into the Shopper Hopper service (S#) and extended to Rockdale Plaza. Then an altered timetable frequency would be in line with the amount of passengers it would carry.

495: this route was not even mentioned when the proposed changes to region 6 (review) went on public display, somehow this route just appeared on the final version of the approved region 6 changes. Originally this route used to carry an elderly lady every so often and apparently she was related to a politician. This lady had not been seen in years and this service carried fresh air on a regular basis, however I did see two people alight from this service at Kingsgrove in the morning service.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Transport Info is still having problems when they put up new timetables. Many of these new STA ones have ghost trips and others duplicate trips where some trips are put up for some days of the week and duplicate it for others. Route 500 is a good example of the problems.
Living in the Shire.
jake_s_258

Post by jake_s_258 »

Stu wrote:430: this route died a slow death. Originally introduced as a free shuttle loop service by Labor. When the Libs took control, they waited a few short years and then made changes. No longer a free service, flat rate of 1-2 section (pre-opal) / flat rate fare band 1, route extended to operate via Calvary Hospital and frequency was chopped from 15 mins to 30 mins. Continued to carry fresh air just like day one. This service should have been rebranded into the Shopper Hopper service (S#) and extended to Rockdale Plaza. Then an altered timetable frequency would be in line with the amount of passengers it would carry.
Agreed, an extension to Rockdale Plaza would have made a lot of sense. In any case, route 430 doubled up on both the 476 and 477 in one half of its loop, and Transdev's 958 and 947 in the other half. It really didn't make sense, even if it was well patronised, which it was not.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

jake_s_258 wrote:
Stu wrote:430: this route died a slow death. Originally introduced as a free shuttle loop service by Labor. When the Libs took control, they waited a few short years and then made changes. No longer a free service, flat rate of 1-2 section (pre-opal) / flat rate fare band 1, route extended to operate via Calvary Hospital and frequency was chopped from 15 mins to 30 mins. Continued to carry fresh air just like day one. This service should have been rebranded into the Shopper Hopper service (S#) and extended to Rockdale Plaza. Then an altered timetable frequency would be in line with the amount of passengers it would carry.
Agreed, an extension to Rockdale Plaza would have made a lot of sense. In any case, route 430 doubled up on both the 476 and 477 in one half of its loop, and Transdev's 958 and 947 in the other half. It really didn't make sense, even if it was well patronised, which it was not.
The 947 doesn't go down to Rockdale plaza where the 455 runs to Rockdale plaza 5 times a day on weekdays
donotsmoke
Favourite Vehicle: 0405NH CNG

Post by donotsmoke »

Stu wrote:Is it possible that one of the reasons behind cancelling the route 459, the Macquarie Uni / Centre extensions of the 458 and the removing the 295 away from Macquarie Centre for when the ECRL is shutdown for metro conversion? Just a thought as the area wil be teeming with rail replacement routes and additional vehicular traffic as well.
Hi Stu

Will 295 become a M's route?
swtt

Post by swtt »

donotsmoke wrote:
Stu wrote:Is it possible that one of the reasons behind cancelling the route 459, the Macquarie Uni / Centre extensions of the 458 and the removing the 295 away from Macquarie Centre for when the ECRL is shutdown for metro conversion? Just a thought as the area wil be teeming with rail replacement routes and additional vehicular traffic as well.
Hi Stu

Epping is nowhere close to Willoughby though!
Richard290
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B8RLE Volgren Optimus

Post by Richard290 »

swtt wrote:
Epping is nowhere close to Willoughby though!
I would expect the 295 to be a Y route.
However, from my own experiences, 288,291 and 292 are codeshared between M and Y.
Living at the north end of the 513 & 535. and the confluence of 513, 535, 546, 549, 550, 553, 625 & 630.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Stu wrote:Both the 430 & 495 commenced under Labor so I'm sure that Liberal are happy to see these services go.

430: this route died a slow death. Originally introduced as a free shuttle loop service by Labor. When the Libs took control, they waited a few short years and then made changes. No longer a free service, flat rate of 1-2 section (pre-opal) / flat rate fare band 1, route extended to operate via Calvary Hospital and frequency was chopped from 15 mins to 30 mins. Continued to carry fresh air just like day one. This service should have been rebranded into the Shopper Hopper service (S#) and extended to Rockdale Plaza. Then an altered timetable frequency would be in line with the amount of passengers it would carry.

495: this route was not even mentioned when the proposed changes to region 6 (review) went on public display, somehow this route just appeared on the final version of the approved region 6 changes. Originally this route used to carry an elderly lady every so often and apparently she was related to a politician. This lady had not been seen in years and this service carried fresh air on a regular basis, however I did see two people alight from this service at Kingsgrove in the morning service.
495 was really a by-product of cancelling 411 and 494. neither of those routes carried many passengers. 494 was just a diverted 492, which ran more regularly than 494. the main bits of 411 still lives. 495 was just a poorly planned route, doesn't really get you anywhere other than kingsgrove and bexley nth
Stu

Post by Stu »

donotsmoke wrote:
Hi Stu

No. 295 will be Y only from 04 June. The current timetable requires M to assist
swtt

Post by swtt »

:lol: I guess nobody took photos of the last 459 in action yesterday? (Nobody would miss that route...)
Richard290

Post by Richard290 »

Has anyone been able to spot a new 530 at Chatswood or Burwood lately? Or a new 252 - Gladesville desto? Who knows? It's the first day of operation, though.
Living at the north end of the 513 & 535. and the confluence of 513, 535, 546, 549, 550, 553, 625 & 630.
Richard290

Post by Richard290 »

Here's a shot of a 459 I took a couple of weeks ago on my Instagram account.
RIP 459 :cry:
SydRailPhotographer
Favourite Vehicle: M/O 1560 (Volvo B12BLE)

Post by SydRailPhotographer »

Richard290 wrote:Has anyone been able to spot a new 530 at Chatswood or Burwood lately? Or a new 252 - Gladesville desto? Who knows? It's the first day of operation, though.
I spotted a 530 on Burwood Road this afternoon. I didn't see what type of bus it was though
I hate living in Sydney...
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Richard290 wrote:Here's a shot of a 459 I took a couple of weeks ago on my Instagram account.
RIP 459 :cry:
RIP. Triptastic (which usually downloads updates at the appropriate times) still has route 459 in the database if you try searching it (albeit with nothing running), I expect it'll shortly be removed.

The alternative in most cases will be M41 which shares a good deal (but not all) of the cancelled route, but what I don't like about that bus is, unlike 459, theres no variety, exact same boring Volvo CB60..... Also, a few stops in North Strathfield that have been 'abandoned', are now only served by the extremely limited and now further restricted 458.

SydRailPhotographer wrote:
Richard290 wrote:Has anyone been able to spot a new 530 at Chatswood or Burwood lately? Or a new 252 - Gladesville desto? Who knows? It's the first day of operation, though.
I spotted a 530 on Burwood Road this afternoon. I didn't see what type of bus it was though
Was watching Next There earlier, I saw a Mercedes 0500LE and a Bustech running on 530 today ^^
syang_4

Post by syang_4 »

Took a ride on the 530 just after lunchtime today from Lane Cove to Burwood. The patronage was mediocre, no more than 10pax for the entire trip. We were running 5min ahead of schedule at Lyons Rd/Great Northern Rd, waited and still finished 5min ahead when we got to Burwood station.
I noticed through TripView most of the 530 today were running ahead of schedule. Might just be because it's the first day or lower patronage on weekends.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Thanks for the report syang-04.It will be interesting to see what the weekday patronage is like.
swtt

Post by swtt »

syang_4 wrote:Took a ride on the 530 just after lunchtime today from Lane Cove to Burwood. The patronage was mediocre, no more than 10pax for the entire trip. We were running 5min ahead of schedule at Lyons Rd/Great Northern Rd, waited and still finished 5min ahead when we got to Burwood station.
I noticed through TripView most of the 530 today were running ahead of schedule. Might just be because it's the first day or lower patronage on weekends.
Route 536 would've never been well patronised, and most of this patronage would've come from 536 between Chatswood -> Hunters Hill and then that of 490/492 from Drummoyne --> Five Dock and only to pinch a bit more of 415.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

I reckon that is very accurate swtt.When North and Western operated 536 (and as 95 before that)it was very well patronised all day on the Chatswood-Hunters Hill section,to the point especially at peak where the Chatswood loadings would half disappear at Lane Cove then be replaced with the vast majority off by Hunters Hill.Sadly Burns Bay Road really has become overbussed by STA,with little effort to coordinate the Chatswood and City/North Sydney services on an even headway frequency along that road.
flitter

Post by flitter »

Rode the 530 this morning for the first time and I have to correct my earlier assertion that there's a bus turn onto Help Street. The busses only right is on Brown Street. Mind you that didn't stop the driver turning into Help Street as per his directions! Either a new sign is required or new instructions! The bus was mostly empty as well, I guess it'll take a while for people to get used to the idea of it.
robert

Post by robert »

burrumbus wrote:I reckon that is very accurate swtt.When North and Western operated 536 (and as 95 before that)it was very well patronised all day on the Chatswood-Hunters Hill section,to the point especially at peak where the Chatswood loadings would half disappear at Lane Cove then be replaced with the vast majority off by Hunters Hill.Sadly Burns Bay Road really has become overbussed by STA,with little effort to coordinate the Chatswood and City/North Sydney services on an even headway frequency along that road.
While you are right in saying that services along Burns Bay Rd are uncoordinated, it probably doesn't matter much, as the two routes serve quite different purposes in that area, which now has a lot of high rise, compared with 20 years ago. 252 is that area's City route, while 530 obviously caters for cross-suburban traffic, particularly to Chatswood regional centre. Coordination of services along Burns Bay Rd would only help the relatively few pax going to Lane Cove shops.

Interestingly 252 has historical similarities to N&W's 530 (later 264) (City-Burns Bay Rd-Gladesville-West Ryde) in connecting Gladesville with North Sydney (although now via the Pacific Hwy rather than River Rd). The other historical connection is with the 254 for the short period it was extended to Birkenhead Point, later curtailed to Lyons Rd.
For information about private & Government bus routes in Sydney, look at http://www.sydneybusroutes.com
robert

Post by robert »

flitter wrote:Rode the 530 this morning for the first time and I have to correct my earlier assertion that there's a bus turn onto Help Street. The busses only right is on Brown Street. Mind you that didn't stop the driver turning into Help Street as per his directions! Either a new sign is required or new instructions! The bus was mostly empty as well, I guess it'll take a while for people to get used to the idea of it.
The late Roger Graham (of Westbus fame) once told me that it could take up to two years to establish patronage on a new route. He was basing that assertion on the the time that it took route 606 (when it was Parramatta-Winston Hills-Castle Hill) to reach its potential after he rearranged the Parramatta-Hills district routes in 1983, before which there had been no direct service between Parramatta and the part of Winston Hills that 606 originally served.

But I would like to think that 530 will achieve satisfactory patronage in a lot less than two years. It will partly depend on what they do with the 492, etc.
Glen

Post by Glen »

I understand that the 252's and 530's don't co-ordinate very well for off-peak pax travelling from the Boronia Park area to Chatswood (i.e. 17 - 20 minute transfers), where formerly they had a direct 536.

It will be interesting to see if this causes any flack.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”