Wynyard Station Upgrade

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
moa999

Re: Wynyard Station Upgrade

Post by moa999 »

Most of the new track lighting has now been activated in the paid Concourse of Wynyard.
Substantially brighter and looks great as most of the light goes upwards then reflects back.

Still one staircase to be retiled to 3/4 but they are definitely in the final stretch

Good view down Wynyard Walk from the northern most stairs to 3/4

New electronic signs installed on York St entrance (emergency?) These are somewhat poorly placed as they block the new orange station signs
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Article in the SMH today about the wooden escalators (only a month late)
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/after-80-year ... q19io.html

On Wynyard itself, now onto the final staircase to 3/4
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

moa999 wrote:Article in the SMH today about the wooden escalators (only a month late)
The history is not quite complete. They were installed at Milsons Point from 1924 to 1932 connecting the temporary station to the temporary tram terminus in Glen Street during the construction of the harbour bridge, then they were moved to Wynyard. That makes them 92 years old.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

tonyp wrote:
moa999 wrote:Article in the SMH today about the wooden escalators (only a month late)
The history is not quite complete. They were installed at Milsons Point from 1924 to 1932 connecting the temporary station to the temporary tram terminus in Glen Street during the construction of the harbour bridge, then they were moved to Wynyard. That makes them 92 years old.
I've heard this theory a few times before on this message board, but I'm wondering if there is an authoritative source for that?

Also, what components were moved exactly, and are any of those components still in use? I would guess that almost all components have been replaced over the years - the steps are steel now for example, instead of the original wood, and of course the ballustrades (vertical panels) have been replaced with stainless steel to avoid a "Trench Effect" fire after King's Cross. The wooden treads on the steps are renewed very regularly, with them all replaced just a few years ago. I'm sure that mechanical components such as motors, gearboxes, wheels, etc, have been renewed over the years too, with control systems updated with modern safety features. I guess the "Otis" logo comb plates are pretty old, as well as the truss structure itself - but was that truss structure present in Milson's Point and somehow moved, or were new trusses built in place at Wynyard? Thus I question what from 1924 is actually left. Also, for Town Hall station I'm not even sure the original comb plates are there - they don't have the Otis brand at least..

At some point this comes to mind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

Still would be sad to see them go. I wonder if the Office of Environmental Heritage can issue an order for at least one of them to be preserved? I'd hope at least portions such as the comb plates with logos would end up in a museum somewhere. But wouldn't it be cool if the redeveloped MAAS (ex-Powerhouse Museum), in Parramatta could get a couple of them for example- they could serve a purpose between floors maybe. I feel that in a museum context the minor safety risks could be much better controlled/mitigated.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

On Wynyard itself, now onto the final staircase to 3/4
BAHAHAHHAHA whats next, lets demolish and rebuild Museum Station completely because its out of date, lets bring it into 2016 and the future! Seriously I'm telling you.

As for Wynyard, just leave it alone - I get its old, but its vintage and unique, keep the wooden escalators as something to strike a balance between old and new (the redone station).

Also, on a separate note, Croydons old green entrance building has been closed off to the public for the last time. Seriously, this, Newtown, wooden escalators.....what is wrong with keeping older station stuff? Its one thing that made my visit to London + my use of its tube system quite charming.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

The new lighting already makes Museum (and St James) less museum/public toilet like.

They do need to replace/clean the old advertising posters however, they are looking in very poor condition.

Agree unlikely to be much of the original escalators left, but doesn't impact heritage value
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Went through on Sun night and about 20 construction workers going about their business with quite a bit of ceiling painting going on on the northern Wynyard Walk side

Onto the final staircase to 3/4 now. Some more of the external glass has been installed on the northern side and I suspect the few remaining old gates might get replaced by glass in the coming week as they will be no longer necessary
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Old ticket gates have now been removed, to be replaced with new Opal gates. Station is coming along very nicely.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Bunch of people installing what looks like a dual sided PID in the middle the paid concourse today.
All the glass on the Wynyard Walk side now appears in and they were working on the final section of concourse tiling today.

Agree the station is beginning to look compete and pretty decent.

Then of course the redevelopment of the George St entry will begin...
moa999

Post by moa999 »

The concourse PID is operating today. Looks good.
Tiling at the bottom of the final staircase to 3/4 now compete and I would expect it to open tomorrow
moa999

Post by moa999 »

New angled set of gates installed behind the barricades heading straight into Wynyard Walk, which is also due for completion this month.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Went through Wynyard for the first time in months today and it's looking fantastic.

I love how they've opened up the ceiling. It feels so much brighter and airier now.

I also saw that the Wynyard Walk's tunnel canopy has most of its glass installed, and the Clarence Street portal was getting its awning installed today.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

From SSC:
AtD wrote:COMMUNITY UPDATE May 2018
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/934687_2 ... 49c304.pdf

Escalators are in for the transit hall and work has started on the transit hall roof. The pedestrian diversion from George St will move in July.

Installation of escalators:

Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

The George St entrance is to change to the escalators and stairs at the end of this month, while the Hunter Connection will be closed at the Wynyard end for about 12 Months. For six months accessible entry to Wynyard will be by either the Carrington St and York St lifts or via the Wynyard Walk.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Now open, albeit far from complete (concrete floor and bare walls and ceiling).

Hunter Connection link is now closed.

(Photos from AtD on Skyscraper city)
ImageImage
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Wynyard may end up with an award for the most escalators, dependent on how many layers end up going in at Martin Place.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

I reckon Central would end up with most escalators depending on what occurs with the renovation. Surprised people were using the stairs when there are 6 escalators.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Depends how you define it. All of Wynyard's are outside the gate line and if you count all the way down to Barrangaroo I think you get 28 in total.

Central will be almost all inside the gate line and have way more.
By my count almost 50
6 to Metro
6x4 to existing country + suburban
4 refurbed to T4
6 For new Chalmers St entrance
4 to grand concourse paid replacing 2
4 existing grand concourse exterior

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”