Northern Beaches BRT: B-Line to transform Northern Beaches

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
mandonov

Northern Beaches BRT: B-Line to transform Northern Beaches

Post by mandonov »

New B-Line to transform Northern Beaches Bus travel

The NSW Government has today unveiled the future of bus travel on the Northern Beaches, with a fleet of double decker buses to run at least every 10 minutes during the day from new bus stops between Mona Vale and the CBD.

NSW Premier Mike Baird and Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Andrew Constance said services on the new 27 kilometre bus rapid transit network called B-Line are expected to be up and running by late 2017.

“The B-Line will transform bus travel on the Northern Beaches and, in just two years, customers will be able to rip up their timetable and catch a bus at least every 10 minutes,” Mr Baird said.

“New double decker buses will have plenty of comfortable seats, architecturally designed B-Line stops will include modern facilities and real-time service information, and customers will be encouraged to park and ride with about 900 new commuter parking spaces.”

The project will include:

Nine modern B-Line stops at Mona Vale, Warriewood, Narrabeen, Collaroy, Dee Why, Brookvale, Manly Vale, Spit Junction (Mosman) and Neutral Bay with real-time information, seating, weather protection and improved facilities for customers;
Six new commuter car parks at Mona Vale, Warriewood, Narrabeen, Dee Why, Brookvale and Manly Vale providing about 900 spaces;
Brand-new double decker buses with improved on-board capacity and comfort
Roadworks including new bus lanes, bus bays, minor lane widening and other road improvements to support bus services; and
Improved pedestrian and bicycle links to connect customers with B-Line stops.
Mr Constance said ahead of the new B-Line opening, about 480 additional weekly bus services will be added between February and October 2016 to address the immediate need for improved services.

“The NSW Government will now start the consultation process with the community and businesses on the preferred locations of some of the B-Line stops and commuter car parks along the 27 kilometre route,” Mr Constance said.

Visit b-line.transport.nsw.gov.au for more information.
http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/media-r ... bus-travel
mandonov

Re: Northern Beaches BRT: B-Line to transform Northern Beach

Post by mandonov »

mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Last edited by mandonov on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

So I guess T-Ways are now B-Lines.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/mike-bairds-b ... ku634.html

Mike Baird's B-Line rapid bus routes for northern beaches

Commuters on the northern beaches will soon be able to throw away their bus timetables after new rapid bus routes to the city take effect, the state government announced on Monday.

A new fleet of 'B-Line' double decker buses will run between Mona Vale and the city centre every 10 minutes from the end of 2017.

The buses will run from about 6am to about 11pm, with services running every five minutes during peak periods.

"This is a landmark day," said Premier Mike Baird unveiling the new routes. "The new buses will be cutting edge in the comfort [they offer] and accessibility and reliability".

The new buses, will run along a 27-kilometre route and stop only nine times in the run into the city...

cont. ^^
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Aren't you excited about this bus.

Anyway, does this have all-door boarding or a signal priority system that works?

Will STA operate this bus? What will happen to route L90?
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

rogf24 wrote:Aren't you excited about this bus.
Not really. Just informing people about the news.
Punchbowl Tiger Cub

Post by Punchbowl Tiger Cub »

Fleet of 30 Double Deckers and no guarantee STA will operate - indications will be it will be a private operator
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

mandonov wrote:So I guess T-Ways are now B-Lines.

You're only allowed to expand the alphabet soup!
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Getting Big Buses off the Bends?

BTW - Constacee has suggested to the Telegraph that this may be the option for Parramatta and Victoria Rds.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Tonymercury wrote: You're only allowed to expand the alphabet soup!
It's actually rationalizing it. Makes no sense for a busway to have the letter designation of trains.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Hmmm....double decker buses stuck in the same old traffic jams doesn't sound that revolutionary. BS-line, more like it.
Go Cats.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

I wonder if some routes that currently go to the city will terminate at these new B-Line stops?
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

mandonov wrote:I wonder if some routes that currently go to the city will terminate at these new B-Line stops?
I dont think it will be politically acceptable to terminate routes that go in the city terminate at the B-Line stops Maybe some peak hour Express services could be scrapped I dont see the L88,L90, L85, 178, 179, 180 and so will be scrapped.

Bendy buses are more suited to routes in the Eastern Suburbs maybe Inner West. For example route 343 is a good bus route for bendies, 301, 370 and so on. Short distance high capacity routes. Also I was thinking maybe the New Bus for London could be good for Sydney.
Last edited by Frosty on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willb2107

Post by willb2107 »

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/mike-bairds-b ... ku634.html

Given the SMH article above, will the B-Line have all stops to Newport after Mona Vale, have a new B-Line stop there or what? Seems very confusing + doesnt really mesh with what the site says.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I could see the L88, L90 being converted to an all stops service, with passengers going into the CBD having the option of transferring to the B90 at the outer ends.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Ray wrote:Hmmm....double decker buses stuck in the same old traffic jams doesn't sound that revolutionary. BS-line, more like it.
It's all wordplay isn't it. Without traffic light priority and full time bus lanes it won't be much of a gain. Just more seating which is fair enough over this distance.

Presumably regular services will also stop at the B stops to provide feeders so that passengers can interchange without having to drive to the bus stop - and without a fare penalty.

Private operation should also ensure that the centre door remains firmly closed.

Post by 3808 »

25-30 double deckers on the northern beaches trunk route? Welcome to the mid 1980s...
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

I well remember silly the Baird "Bullet Bus" of the early 90s -it was the biggest fizzer
boronia

Post by boronia »

Frosty wrote:
mandonov wrote:I wonder if some routes that currently go to the city will terminate at these new B-Line stops?
I dont think it will be politically acceptable to terminate routes that go in the city terminate at the B-Line stops for example stops like Warringah Mall and others will be left out and annoy commuters if they will have to change multiple buses just to get to their destination such as from Cremone Junction to Warringah Mall they will first have to get off a bus a Spit Junction and then change to another bus at Manly Vale then catch another bus to Warringah Mall. Maybe some peak hour Express services could be scrapped I dont see the L88,L90, L85, 178, 179, 180 and so will be scrapped.
It seems to be politically acceptable to it do for the CSELR.
@ The Museum of Fire.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Frosty wrote: I dont think it will be politically acceptable to terminate routes that go in the city terminate at the B-Line stops for example stops like Warringah Mall and others will be left out and annoy commuters if they will have to change multiple buses just to get to their destination such as from Cremone Junction to Warringah Mall they will first have to get off a bus a Spit Junction and then change to another bus at Manly Vale then catch another bus to Warringah Mall. Maybe some peak hour Express services could be scrapped I dont see the L88,L90, L85, 178, 179, 180 and so will be scrapped.
??

According to the map, Warringah Mall does have a stop. It's called Brookvale, and is located at the current interchange. The fourth picture that I posted shows a bus leaving the Brookvale stop, out the front of a community health centre that is being built across from Warringah Mall. The parking at Brookvale will be provided in the health centre.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

My mistake misread the map. looked like it was a bit further north.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

boronia wrote: It seems to be politically acceptable to it do for the CSELR.
Its about stop distancing from Manly Vale to Brookvale its 1.8km and from Brookvale to Dee Why B-Line stop is 2.5km so unlike CESLR stops are about 800m to 1km at most I think.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Frosty wrote:
boronia wrote: It seems to be politically acceptable to it do for the CSELR.
Its about stop distancing from Manly Vale to Brookvale its 1.8km and from Brookvale to Dee Why B-Line stop is 2.5km so unlike CESLR stops are about 800m to 1km at most I think.
Your were referring to passengers having to to transfer to B-line to get to the city, which is what passengers will largely have to do on the CSELR.

There would still be need for all stop services along those routes, so your L90 might become a 190 again. Pax could stay on this all the way in, or switch to a B service at the next stop for a faster run. Reverse going north.
@ The Museum of Fire.
simonl

Post by simonl »

Sounds pretty good. I'm much happier with Andrew Constance than Gladys! You wouldn't have thought someone from Bega would do a good job, but seems to be the case.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”