Northern Beaches BRT: B-Line to transform Northern Beaches

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Liamena

Re: Northern Beaches BRT: B-Line to transform Northern Beach

Post by Liamena »

When Mrs Thatcher referred to anyone over 26 using a bus as a loser, I think she was referring to anyone who had to catch TWO buses.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Liamena wrote:When Mrs Thatcher referred to anyone over 26 using a bus as a loser, I think she was referring to anyone who had to catch TWO buses.
I'm sure relations with Australia's PM would suffer if she was the British PM now.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

these protesters are nuttin but dodos.... why don't we build a bloody metro to all the nimby areas and turn those area into high density by force.... job done
White ribbon day is most sexist thing ever
Swift

Post by Swift »

Bronwyn Bitchslap has weighed in too, as well as Barry Unsworth(no more).
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.dai ... d6b7b85851
Stu

Post by Stu »

- Mona Fail residents complain about trees being chopped and the potential of high density housing being built.
- Newport residents complain about increased traffic congestion, loss of village atmosphere and the potential of high density housing being built - and don't forget about 'driver facilities' causing a problem as well.

If the service ever does extend further North, I wonder what the residents of both Avalon and Palm Beach respectively wil complain about. I bet if high density housing was ever approved in the areas of concern that the local residents would have no problem if it meant that only people from the Insular Peninsula were able to move in and not any outsiders.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Stu wrote:- Mona Fail residents complain about trees being chopped and the potential of high density housing being built.
- Newport residents complain about increased traffic congestion, loss of village atmosphere and the potential of high density housing being built - and don't forget about 'driver facilities' causing a problem as well.

If the service ever does extend further North, I wonder what the residents of both Avalon and Palm Beach respectively wil complain about. I bet if high density housing was ever approved in the areas of concern that the local residents would have no problem if it meant that only people from the Insular Peninsula were able to move in and not any outsiders.
Surely a self entitled bunch living up there.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Hate to imagine what would happen if a freeway was built linking direct with the central coast!!
There would be riots.
molybtek

Post by molybtek »

Saw a BLine double decker bus at the back of Kemps Creek... is that were these buses are assembled?
Liamena

Post by Liamena »

They get dropped off there at night by cargo Zeppelin, it's an airport don't you know.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

Errr they are being prepared for service in Smithfield nearby.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Some B-Line snaps:

Spit Junction southbound

Spit Jct northbound

Narrabeen northbound

Narrabeen southbound

So shelters, signs and next stop indicators are yellow for B-line, and dark grey/black for the local stops in places where they are separated.
Cremorne

Post by Cremorne »

Have you noticed that the B-line's yellow paraphernalia blocks out existing shop signage?

This has also happened in Neutral Bay outside the flower shop, Georgeous Blooms as can be seen in this photo.

Also is it safe to place seats on the kerb side? What happens if someone leans their head back while seated?

Does anyone know if the full compliment of 38 buses are registered and ready to hit the road on the 26th??
Attachments
neutral bay georgeous blooms.JPG
neutral bay georgeous blooms.JPG (121.15 KiB) Viewed 7537 times
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The fleet list only show 13 at this stage.
To be delivered at http://fleetlists.busaustralia.com/sta. ... &ltype=new shows the others - some registered and some not,
Living in the Shire.
Cremorne

Post by Cremorne »

Thank you Fleet Lists.
Great information!
It will be interesting to see if B-line buses will be able to turn up every 5 minutes with 13 buses looping between Wynyard and Mona Vale - it's a one hour journey without hiccups.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

One would expect more to be put into service by next Sunday. Initially other buses are expected to supplement services until all the new buses are in service as has previously been discussed.
Living in the Shire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Cremorne wrote:Have you noticed that the B-line's yellow paraphernalia blocks out existing shop signage?

This has also happened in Neutral Bay outside the flower shop, Georgeous Blooms as can be seen in this photo.
is this any surprise with the way this government treated businesses left in tatters by the CSELR works?
It just looks weird and out of place, besides. Why not just suspend the electronic signs from the ceilings in a more thoughtful location?
Will these signs even be reliable and consistent for long? I hope they aren't like the experience with Metrobus next stop info in the buses.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

mandonov wrote:So shelters, signs and next stop indicators are yellow for B-line, and dark grey/black for the local stops in places where they are separated.
So that explains why there's one yellow and one black pole at Neutral Bay Junction heading city/inbound, with the yellow pole being at the main stop, and the black one further down towards Rangers Road.
Swift wrote:It just looks weird and out of place, besides. Why not just suspend the electronic signs from the ceilings in a more thoughtful location?
Will these signs even be reliable and consistent for long? I hope they aren't like the experience with Metrobus next stop info in the buses.
I work around there and somehow I doubt they'd be allowed to hang those signs from the shop awnings for multiple reasons - also, some of those awnings aren't all that sturdy anyway (one of the shop awnings right near the Neutral Bay Junction city-bound stop had to be replaced - I recall seeing it starting to rust quite badly before it was pulled down).
The only non-shop thing I know that is attached to those awnings are some lights that North Sydney Council installed a while back - it left conduit going in all sorts of directions.

On the other hand, nothing (well, little) would stop them running the power/data cables through the ground.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

400 pages of contracts between the landlord, shop owner, oh&s and building inspections etc..
No thanks.

Much easier to put up the sign where they already have rights to put up a pole.

Has anyone seen them under test yet?
Swift

Post by Swift »

I guess it's TUFF to the business signs affected. :|
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Quite often one shop sign will block off visibility of another one. so really this is no different.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
flitter

Post by flitter »

Does the shop sign block visibility of the B line indicator from the other direction?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

They could use a smaller indicator that doesn’t block shop signs like the melbourne tram tracker indicators. I would of thought they would go for LCD screen instead of the LED matrix indicator.
Attachments
D74D0E76-6AD9-4613-8AB7-D9F271775918.jpeg
D74D0E76-6AD9-4613-8AB7-D9F271775918.jpeg (36.73 KiB) Viewed 7094 times
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Knew it. Route 199, every service active at this moment (im checking NextThere) is a standard bus, except one sole exception is a bendy.

On the other hand, regularly seeing standard CB60's, Volvo APG Orana, Volvo CB80 and even Volvo Bustech all the way up in Palm Beach would definitely be something completely new.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:
On the other hand, regularly seeing standard CB60's, Volvo APG Orana, Volvo CB80 and even Volvo Bustech all the way up in Palm Beach would definitely be something completely new.
I look forward to that. Bored to tears with 10 year old B12BLEs being all you see up that way.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Looking at somebody's video today (and the comments on it) taken on a B Line ride, I noticed how slow the bus is. In fact at one point a little kid's voice piped up and said "why is this bus slow?"! So I checked the journey planner and it does seem that the deckers are no faster than the artic services even though the B Line has less stops - which means that they are literally slower on average.

This takes me back to Sydney bus services about 50+ years ago run by a certain DGT and the speed contrast between riding in a single decker and those lumbering behemoths they had back then. So is this generally true with the northern beaches services? If so, it seems that the deckers have a downside and not a surprising one.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”