• Advertisement

Use of Back Door on Buses

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion

Re: Use of Back Door on Buses

Postby tonyp » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:04 am

I'm in Perth this week and can't open this page on my phone. Maybe you'd like to post a comment yourself Boronia and link this Boston comparison video which slays them.

Also worth pointing out that unsupervised all-door loading is used not only right across Europe and countries like Singapore and USA, but to varying degrees in WA, SA, Victoria, ACT and Queensland and why is NSW so resistant to it when it has Australia's busiest bus services? The 333 is virtually a tram service and needs to work efficiently like one. TIA!
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby Swift » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:45 am

tonyp wrote:

I'm in Perth this week and can't open this page on my phone. Maybe you'd like to post a comment yourself Boronia and link this Boston comparison video which slays them.

Also worth pointing out that unsupervised all-door loading is used not only right across Europe and countries like Singapore and USA, but to varying degrees in WA, SA, Victoria, ACT and Queensland and why is NSW so resistant to it when it has Australia's busiest bus services? The 333 is virtually a tram service and needs to work efficiently like one. TIA!

Status quo is God to NSW thinking. It's a sad state if affairs when even car loving USA has better initiatives than Australia, especially this sleepy deluded backwater of a state.
Social people are nearly always horrible people. Why would you mix with horrible people?
Swift

Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Postby Jurassic_Joke » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:33 pm

A little drama today boarding an M40 that was about 17 minutes late, stop was crowded.

Firstly some pax decided to just board through the middle door and of course got completely raged at by the driver, but not even that, special princess elderly woman is walking towards the front door from the middle seat and rather rudely tells all of us to let her off first....sometimes, sorry, I really think exiting through the front door should just be blacklisted. There was a door right next to you you could’ve exited from that we normally aren’t allowed to board from and you still chose the front door.
Scania K280UB CB80 > Volvo B7RLE CB80

Millennium > Waratah
Jurassic_Joke

Favourite Vehicle: STA Scania K280UB CC CB80

Postby boronia » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:03 pm

Centre doors are not always lined up with kerbs, sometimes lined up with driveways or trees, seats, rubbish bins. Both of these can be problems for elderly or less mobile, so they prefer to use the front door.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby Swift » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:16 pm

^ what about the multitude of times I have seen this disruptive behaviour when that isn't the case?
What I notice as well are slow unsteady elderly passengers who amble up the back of the bus when there are plenty of seats available in the front half. These same people probably still insist on exiting at the front.
Social people are nearly always horrible people. Why would you mix with horrible people?
Swift

Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Postby tonyp » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:36 am

Bear in mind the years of conditioning by operators and drivers to use the front door and associated uncertainty whether the back door will open or not; little wonder that people head for the front of the bus for certainty that they will be able to get off. All that Pavlovian behaviour has to be unlearned when change finally comes. Melbourne tram drivers still experience people rushing to the front door to board as a flow-on from a period of experimentation with front-door loading and passenger flow in the 1970s, over 30 years ago. Poor passenger management decisions can be quite damaging in terms of behavioural psychology.

Then there's old buggers like me who grew up boarding and exiting buses through both doors.....
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby boronia » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:07 am

Swift wrote:^ what about the multitude of times I have seen this disruptive behaviour when that isn't the case?
What I notice as well are slow unsteady elderly passengers who amble up the back of the bus when there are plenty of seats available in the front half. These same people probably still insist on exiting at the front.

If these people don't get a seat in the first few seconds, the driver will take off - usually leaving pax on the floor or struggling to keep upright.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby tonyp » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:34 am

boronia wrote:I see TfNSW is now promoting the new Bondi changes on Facebook. Might be a good opportunity to make some comments about the efficincy benefits of all door boarding on the 333.

That post seemed to have been taken down soon after it was posted so I guess there wasn't any opportunity for comment.
tonyp

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Sydney / NSW