New TransportNSW.info Website

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
lyjjimmy

Re: New TransportNSW.info Website

Post by lyjjimmy »

A bit far away, Sydney Buses is no longer providing region network map from their website. They might reproducing it, but don't know what exactly is.
lyjjimmy

Post by lyjjimmy »

The new mobile site is definitely a fresh and optimised for most smart phones.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

You may have been lucky and worked off a cached page as the real page has not had the link for about six months.
Living in the Shire.
mubd

Post by mubd »

Microsoft seems to be heavily sponsoring the website design.
Eastgardens to Kingsford is a 1-2 section fare.
Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

It's a million times better than the old site. Good start.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

One grip, no HTML5. I know it's only a minor but it's such a wasted opportunity to get with the times.
mubd wrote:Microsoft seems to be heavily sponsoring the website design.
At least you don't have to go to corners to find what you want.

On another note, they should move the "Public transport Corporate Roads & Maritime" bar to the bottom of the page or at least make it less prominent.
Last edited by rogf24 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

One major problem I have had is scrolling through larger timetables. Unlike the train timetables the new bus, ferry and Light rail timetables only have a scroll bar at the bottom so that you need to go the bottom of the timetable to see later times and then when you scroll back up the timing points have disappeared.
I am writing a strong submission to them suggesting that they include the way the train timetables handled this, in the new timetables.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

rogf24 wrote:
On another note, they should move the "Public transport Corporate Roads & Maritime" bar to the bottom of the page or at least make it less prominent.
I cant see anything wrong with where it is - when the site is officially launched it will go right to the top of the page once
Preview transportnsw.info

Welcome to a preview of transportnsw.info, the new public transport information website.

This site will soon replace 131500.com.au. If anything doesn't work as you'd expect or you'd like to give us your feedback, please let us know.
Read more on why we’re changing. Get help on how to use this site.

You can also use 131500.com.au for trip planning and transport status information.
is removed.
Living in the Shire.
TheOpalUser

Post by TheOpalUser »

rogf24 wrote:One grip, no HTML5. I know it's only a minor but it's such a wasted opportunity to get with the times.
What exactly were you expecting?

For what it's worth, the mobile site does support geolocation.
Posts and comments made here are my own personal opinions, and not on behalf of my employer.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

BeauGiles wrote:What exactly were you expecting?

For what it's worth, the mobile site does support geolocation.
I wasn't expecting anything, other than something better than 131500. That's why I said it was minor. It's just a wasted opportunity to make the service more dynamic and fluid. The current website improves aesthetics for sure, but it doesn't feel very smooth compared to the app-like experience that HTML5 websites offers. I do like the fact that the design is pretty minimalist without comprising looks, but that's not the same. That's just me though, I'm sure you don't mind it. Have a look at the Boston Globe or PolicyMic website to see what I'm talking about.
Fleet Lists wrote:I cant see anything wrong with where it is - when the site is officially launched it will go right to the top of the page once is removed.
It looks clunky and unprofessional, but that's just me. There arn't many websites, not even government ones, with a bar like that, in fact on most websites, Sydney Trains included, those types of links are hidden on the bottom or not as prominent. Again, that's just me.
CityRail

Post by CityRail »

I have tested the Complaints function on new transportnsw.info today as my train yesterday overshooted the platform and passengers from the first carriage had to jump onto the tracks to get out.

It is working thankfully and I received a response from Sydney Trains. The complaints page is simplier to use than 131500.com so well done!
paulbrown3

Post by paulbrown3 »

Fleet Lists wrote:They had disappeared off the old website about 6 months ago. If you knew the link to them you could still access them but there was no longer a link to them on 131500 itself.
In fact I raised that as an issue with the on 1st June so only a few days before that is 6 months old.
I had also raised an issue with the interchange maps with 131500. received a reply to "say thanks for your input we will look into it" but no reply.

the link to the interchange guides http://www.131500.com.au/maps/interchange-guide/
paulbrown3

Post by paulbrown3 »

rogf24 wrote:
It looks clunky and unprofessional, but that's just me. There arn't many websites, not even government ones, with a bar like that, in fact on most websites, Sydney Trains included, those types of links are hidden on the bottom or not as prominent. Again, that's just me.

i also agree it looks like "big" and clunky like a windows 8 pc app.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

CityRail wrote:I have tested the Complaints function on new transportnsw.info today as my train yesterday overshooted the platform and passengers from the first carriage had to jump onto the tracks to get out.
Huh? You couldn't go to the second carriage to alight?
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
TheOpalUser

Post by TheOpalUser »

paulbrown3 wrote:
rogf24 wrote:
i also agree it looks like "big" and clunky like a windows 8 pc app.
How do you guys feel about the TfL beta site? http://beta.tfl.gov.uk
For what it's worth, you should also check out the trip planner at http://tp.transportnsw.info - it doesn't have the big 'This site will soon replace 131500.com.au.' banner atop it.
Posts and comments made here are my own personal opinions, and not on behalf of my employer.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

BeauGiles wrote:How do you guys feel about the TfL beta site? http://beta.tfl.gov.uk
First of all, I've seen the TfNSW page you linked me to and I still don't like it.
Anyway, I like the TfL website. The design and colour bar at the top flows with the rest of the website design. Notice that the blue is darker and black is lighter and is consistent with the colour scheme of the rest of the website which is not the case with TfNSW. Also, the links at the top are related to TfL services not some other things that passengers don't need to know about like roads, that goes at the bottom.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

transportnsw.info

Welcome to transportnsw.info, the new public transport information website.

This site will soon replace 131500.com.au. If anything doesn't work as you'd expect or you'd like to give us your feedback, please let us know.
Read more on why we’ve changed. Get help on how to use this site.

You can also use 131500.com.au for trip planning and transport status information
That is still up on the new website but just in the last few minutes when I try to access 131500, I get switched to the new website, warts and all.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Even when trying to access the Country information in 131500 which was a different website, one gets redirected to the new website which does NOT give access to any country information as far as I can see - so is the country information now dead ? Not that it was much use as most was totally out of date.
Living in the Shire.
paulbrown3

Post by paulbrown3 »

Fleet Lists wrote:Even when trying to access the Country information in 131500 which was a different website, one gets redirected to the new website which does NOT give access to any country information as far as I can see - so is the country information now dead ? Not that it was much use as most was totally out of date.
http://www.transportnsw.info/en/travell ... ional.page?

Which is buried down the bottom blue section "regional and country transport" and the link is in the "bus" section
gld59

Post by gld59 »

Aurora wrote:Huh? You couldn't go to the second carriage to alight?
While the doors are open?

gld
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

paulbrown3 wrote:
Fleet Lists wrote:Even when trying to access the Country information in 131500 which was a different website, one gets redirected to the new website which does NOT give access to any country information as far as I can see - so is the country information now dead ? Not that it was much use as most was totally out of date.
http://www.transportnsw.info/en/travell ... ional.page?

Which is buried down the bottom blue section "regional and country transport" and the link is in the "bus" section
Thanks - I see they have changed the link - it did not work earlier. I have changed the link we have in the operator links which reflected what they had earlier but both now fixed.
Living in the Shire.
simonl

Post by simonl »

Geo locator is good, but in some ways I found the old site better eg alternative times button.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

gld59 wrote:
Aurora wrote:Huh? You couldn't go to the second carriage to alight?
While the doors are open?

gld
He said he 'had' to do it. No he didn't. The safe option would have been to make his way to the second carriage to alight.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Now when U try to go to 131500 I get the 131500 page again but some of the formatting is missing so I can't use it.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

After some manipulation I managed to get the formatting back.
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”