Opal Card Fare Issues

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Opal Card Fare Issues

Post by Fleet Lists »

It has its problems as all these systems do to some extent but it would certainly not be amongst the most inaccurate systems.
Living in the Shire.
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

Glen wrote:
rogf24 wrote:Made a trip with a few transfers that didn't register as transfers even though I tapped off so got default fared and no transfer fare reductions.
I've had that a couple of times, or single journeys with tap off not registered resulting in default fare.

If I've noticed, I reported it, not so much for the money but to make them aware, and they refund me.
I imagine there's a lot of people getting default fares without realising it or ever getting it refunded, especially those on auto top-up who don't check their Opal statements.

I've had a few issues with the new Opal gates at Wynyard or Town Hall resulting in default fares. One time when I called up to get the fare adjustment the agent said he noticed I had a similar default fare from a few weeks back and he credited that as well. I now walk through the gates a lot slower so I have time to check the reader screens! Normally I'd be walking through while it still shows the details from the person who went through in front of me.
sunnyyan
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 CNG

Post by sunnyyan »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:
moa999 wrote:Tap on Reversal is simple.
GPS is simply not working, driver isn't manually advancing the stops, just tapping to wake at each stop.
I suspect the online record will show route start point - route start point
At moa999, it didn't show route starting, it was a stop well after the route starting point.

I'm just wondering now if Opal is one of the most inaccurate systems (good idea though, but) No one that checks there statement would now if it's a mistake or not.
Then what that means is that it lost GPS signal at that stop and the system stayed at that stop for the rest of the trip.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

I've been overcharged again, yet so far has not refunded the overcharged part & yes it's overcharged by more than twice what the fare should be
Last edited by Newcastle Flyer on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:I've been overcharged again, yet opa so far has not refunded the overcharged part & yes it's overcharged by more than twice what the fare should be
What has my grandfather got to do with this?
Living in the Shire.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Small screen & was in a hurry - fixed.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

You seem to be disproportionately affected Flyer. Have you considered that it may be a malfunctioning card?
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

Single-trip machine not user friendly....
I tried to get a single-trip Opal out of the single-trip machine at Campsie. It asks for your destination but then fails to instruct the purchaser what to do next.
A member of staff rescued me, but has this non-user-friendly "feature" been dealt with on this site?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Isn't "next" to select the type of ticket? Adult/child/etc?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

The staff member found that screen (type of ticket), but there was no prompt for me when I wanted to go to the next screen, just two meaningless up-and-down arrows on the right of the screen
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

Arrived at the domestic airport station about 4:50 on Monday, gates wide open, people streaming through without using any Opals. I stopped and counted about 50 people, only 2 paid, is this normal ?
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Well I see it’s pretty normal at the Airport Stations to have the gates unlocked at those early hours. Since I know at least Green Square my local station is not staffed at that time. Generally at Green Sq people pay up. Though thinking at that time the default fare is cheaper than standard fare. Default being $5.95 vs Off-peak $16.72 to the City.
boronia

Post by boronia »

@ The Museum of Fire.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

To be expected leading into the election.

I'd hope whoever wins the next election tackles the one group that has had no fare increases for many years in the first twelve months.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

moa999 wrote:
I'd hope whoever wins the next election tackles the one group that has had no fare increases for many years in the first twelve months.
Have you actually managed to pass Avoiding Revolutions 101 yet?
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

Noticed that the gatepass fee was not deducted along with some recent journeys to and from Domestic Airport station.
thunderbird

Post by thunderbird »

boxythingy wrote:Noticed that the gatepass fee was not deducted along with some recent journeys to and from Domestic Airport station.
Had you reached the weekly airport gate pass fee travel cap?
andy_centralcoast

Trackwork replacement buses between Sydenham and Central this weekend is causing some trips to be split into 2 train fares instead of 1.

Marrickville to City Circle stations is being charged double.

For example Marrickville to Wynyard is $2.42 off peak. This weekend the trip is charged as Marrickville to Sydenham $2.42, free trackwork bus from Sydenham to Central, then Central to Wynyard another $2.42.
boronia

Post by boronia »

So what happens if you complain to Opal?

The trackwork bus is part of your journey from Marrickville to Wynyard. Wouldn't you only pay $2.42 if you changed train-train at Sydenham and Central
@ The Museum of Fire.
andy_centralcoast

Because you tap off at Sydenham and then tap on again at Central, it charges the Marrickville-Sydenham and Central-Wynyard as 2 separate journeys and not a transfer. The bus in the middle does not have Opal readers turned on.

I'd expect Opal would give a fare adjustment if you call up and request it, however when a similar thing happened during the Hornsby Junction Shutdown earlier this year I had to speak to a supervisor to get it done. Possibly because I wanted multiple days worth of fares corrected.

I imagine there will be many people overcharged this weekend and not even realise it, or won't be bothered to contact Opal over a few dollars.
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

andy_centralcoast wrote:Trackwork replacement buses between Sydenham and Central this weekend is causing some trips to be split into 2 train fares instead of 1.

Marrickville to City Circle stations is being charged double.

For example Marrickville to Wynyard is $2.42 off peak. This weekend the trip is charged as Marrickville to Sydenham $2.42, free trackwork bus from Sydenham to Central, then Central to Wynyard another $2.42.
You also have the choice to travel Marrickville-Sydenham-Wolli Creek-Wynyard.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

andy_centralcoast wrote:Because you tap off at Sydenham and then tap on again at Central, it charges the Marrickville-Sydenham and Central-Wynyard as 2 separate journeys and not a transfer. The bus in the middle does not have Opal readers turned on.

I'd expect Opal would give a fare adjustment if you call up and request it, however when a similar thing happened during the Hornsby Junction Shutdown earlier this year I had to speak to a supervisor to get it done. Possibly because I wanted multiple days worth of fares corrected.

I imagine there will be many people overcharged this weekend and not even realise it, or won't be bothered to contact Opal over a few dollars.
This shouldn't really be happening for Sydenham to Central because if you're within 7 stations of each other and you tap back on, it counts as a transfer.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Has that figure of 7 stations ever been officially confirmed?
Living in the Shire.
thunderbird

Post by thunderbird »

I am only going by the material published, but I read it as being the 7 nearby stations to Sydenham, not 7 stations in every direction.

The 7 closest stations to Sydenham are likely Tempe, Wolli Creek, St Peters, Erskineville, Marrickville, Dulwich Hill and Hurlstone Park.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

That gets even more confusing when you look at terminus stations such as Cronulla where Sutherland would be within the nearest six stations with either Jannali or Loftus the seventh. But the same would apply to Miranda which sits in the middle of the group.
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”