Delivery of new trams for Inner West Light Rail Extension

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Tonymercury

Re: Delivery of new trams for Inner West Light Rail Extensio

Post by Tonymercury »

tonyp wrote:
The fact that the Gold Coast trams were craned in and out of a ship in one piece indicates that there's quite a degree of sophistication in moving these objects nowadays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyIrsZ7Zhs
Apparently an Australian designed lifting device used for the first time for the Gold Coast.

But, in the usual story, when I pointed out to the company responsible for the shipping that they had a positive news story on their hands and asked for information for TA, the response was an absolute avalanche of...... nothing!

Probably some Chinese company is already manufacturing their own version.

Tram Fan 24/7
Favourite Vehicle: Toyota Coaster.

Post by Tram Fan 24/7 »

G'day all, Haven't heard anything about recent tram arrivals lately. My Wife & I were passing the LR Depot this morning & I noticed a new arrival, 2114.
According to a conductor I was talking to, He said the tram arrived sometime last week. Anybody know of a more definite date ??
He also mentioned that 2113 hasn't arrived yet.

Regards,

TF 24/7.

Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

This picture of 2114 on trams down under website was taken on the 14/Feb/2014 and looks like it was taken from a Variotram passing the depot this is your picture Tram Fan 24/7.
http://tdu.to/40380.att
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15

Tram Fan 24/7

Post by Tram Fan 24/7 »

Yes it is my pic, I couldn't resize the pic to post it here. (it said it was too large) :D

TF 24/7

Stu

Post by Stu »

The delivery of the 7th tram will commence from Wednesday night (19/03/14) beginning at 21:00 and be completed by 05:00 on Thursday morning at 05:00. The over size convoy is expected to arrive at Haymarket at 02:00 - Thursday (20/03/14).

Tram Fan 24/7

Post by Tram Fan 24/7 »

Hey Stu, thanks for the info ! Will this be 2113 or 2115 ? (is t for nsw superstitious?) Also, do you have a more definite date for the arrival of 2114 ? (for my records) I went past it on Feb 14 & the Conductor told me it was delivered in that week but didn't know when.

Thanks,

TF 24/7

Tram Fan 24/7

Post by Tram Fan 24/7 »

Stu wrote:The delivery of the 7th tram will commence from Wednesday night (19/03/14) beginning at 21:00 and be completed by 05:00 on Thursday morning at 05:00. The over size convoy is expected to arrive at Haymarket at 02:00 - Thursday (20/03/14).
Did anyone witness the arrival of the 3rd Urbos 3 tram ?? Did you get the number ?

TF 24/7

Stu

Post by Stu »

^ 2115 was the most recent delivery. Still no sighting of 2113. I'll have to check through my emails to view the dates of actual deliveries, although I'm off work for a few weeks.

The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

Stu wrote:^ 2115 was the most recent delivery. Still no sighting of 2113. I'll have to check through my emails to view the dates of actual deliveries, although I'm off work for a few weeks.

I have heard that there will be no 2113 because of superstition around the number 13
Has AdMet CB80 fever

Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Worldmaster ERT1/1

Post by Inspector »

Really? That sounds like the (alleged) explanation as to why Epping doesn't have a platform 4.
"I thought that your dog did not bite!"
"That's not my dog."

Glen

Post by Glen »

Urbos trams were in passenger operation on Saturday 22/3.

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Glen wrote:Urbos trams were in passenger operation on Saturday 22/3.
Aren't they all Urboses? I think you mean the neweys (Urbos 3), not the Spanish bankruptcy fallouts?
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"

Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

But the existing fleet up til now is not Urbos.
Living in the Shire.

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Fleet Lists wrote:But the existing fleet up til now is not Urbos.
The second-hand CAFs are Urbos 2, the new ones Urbos 3.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"

Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Yes I know but Glen posted'
Urbos trams were in passenger operation on Saturday 22/3.
That is the first time either lot of Urbos have been reported in service so I did not see the point of you post where you stated they are all Urbos which the old ones are not.
Living in the Shire.

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Ahh, by "older trams" you mean the Variotrams! I was talking about CAFs only - I meant the older CAFs (Urbos 2s).

I was trying to find out whether the trams operating for the first time in passenger service on Sat 22/3 were Urbos 2s, Urbos 3s or a mixture of both.
Last edited by tonyp on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

There are Variotrams 2101-2107 the lease four Urbos 2 trams the three from Velez-Malaga 2108-2110 and 2111 from Seville and the Urbos 3 trams being delivered.

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Bedford-29 wrote:There are Variotrams 2101-2107 the lease four Urbos 2 trams the three from Velez-Malaga 2108-2110 and 2111 from Seville and the Urbos 3 trams being delivered.
Yes I know, except I believe 2006 has gone and the Urbos 3s are 2112, 2114 and 2115 so far.

But that's not what I was trying to find out!

Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Not having a tram with the number 13 in is load of tripe I have a picture of P 1613 traveling along Anzac Pde Maroubra Junction inbound to Railway Sq and I wonder if the passengers on P 1613 were carrying there lucky rabbits foot or wearing there horse shoe around there neck riding on 1613.Christ when 2113 does turn up are you going to carry a lucky charm or are you scared 2113 driver might be Count Dracula.

Mckinlayr
Favourite Vehicle: Alstom Citadis 402 (Tours)

Post by Mckinlayr »

tonyp wrote:But that's not what I was trying to find out!
I only saw Urbos 2s and Varios running today. I caught 2110 to Lilyfield just for the fun. I've seen 2108 & 2109 in other people's photos.
“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” ― Erol Ozan

Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

No need to keep lisring the fleet here - it is available at http://sydneytrainfleetlists.com/index. ... et_Lists_5
Living in the Shire.

Newcastle Flyer

The 2nd hand/new Urbo trams?

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Noticed that the "new" (or should I say 2nd hand trams?!) trams were in service today, so decided to try to go on one.

Was told two new trams were in service today, but as for the seats, . . . even a T and H seats are way, way better. Just small plastic type seats.

Also noted that the floor is higher at the tram stops than the Vario trams.

Mckinlayr, did you take that photo before or after today's tram delay?

Thunderstorm coming, so can't look through all pages at the moment, but are the 2nd hand & new Urbos exactly the same?
Urbos, what a name!
White lives matter too, as do ALL lives.

Mckinlayr
Favourite Vehicle: Alstom Citadis 402 (Tours)

Post by Mckinlayr »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:Mckinlayr, did you take that photo before or after today's delay?
Taken before the delay.
The new seats are a hard plastic and 2110 did seem to rumble and shake much more than the Varios running at speed in the tunnel between Glebe and Jubilee Park. There were also moments when the interior lights cut out while the tram was in the tunnel and approaching the platform at Lilyfield which left the interior very dark for a few seconds.
The manual doors were confusing for people, especially those who probably don't speak much english. About 10 people got up to exit at the Fish Market stop but didn't know they had to push a button to open the doors. Seeing someone at the front of the tram had an open door, they all started walking the length of the tram to reach it. The tram left before they got there and they were rather upset.

Also.. the manual doors don't appear to lock shut on the side opposite to the platform. I took this photo at Lilyfield.
“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” ― Erol Ozan

Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

I wonder what bright spark put that sign up do exit the train on this its a tram not a train and doors facing the rock wall would not open that side anyway.

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Bedford-29 wrote:I wonder what bright spark put that sign up do exit the train on this its a tram not a train and doors facing the rock wall would not open that side anyway.
That's a centre-island platform and one reason these platforms are regarded as a no no for tramways is that sometimes the doors may open on the wrong side of the tram and people might unwittingly step out straight into traffic. In the case of Lilyfield of course they'd just fall to the ground, but that doesn't diminish the safety hazard.

There are recorded incidents of wrong-side door-openings in Dublin and Adelaide, two cities that make extensive use of centre-island platforms. One day, somebody will step out into an adjacent road lane and under a car. In San Francisco a driver accidentally went out the wrong side door and fell to his death from a viaduct. It's one of those unrecognised safety issues that's surprisingly unaddressed in this age of otherwise over-zealous safety standards.

The final design of CSELR makes extensive use of centre-island platforms. :roll:

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”