'The Hop' Branding Rollout

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: 'The Hop' Branding Rollout

Post by Fleet Lists »

And will probably never be finished if the current government is not returned next year.
Living in the Shire.
quaidy

Post by quaidy »

It’s more complete than the previous rebrand, many stations have gone from 2 brands ago to the current one.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

It beggars belief why stations such as those on the ECRL even got hop signs when they knew they would be closing soon. :roll:
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

But not closing permanently.
Living in the Shire.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

boxythingy wrote:It beggars belief why stations such as those on the ECRL even got hop signs when they knew they would be closing soon. :roll:
Not really considering they would have gotten a few years use out of them. Not like they only installed them this month.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
kypros1992

Post by kypros1992 »

Mike M wrote:It is over 5 years since this thread started back in April 2013 & this pointless (& probably expensive) exercise in rebranding still hasn't been completed. What a waste of money.
Compared to the track record of the previous wayfinding strategy (which started in 2001, then revised again in 2006) it's running out more smoothly. There was some delay in 2015 to revise the design but speaking with some people from the project office the stations will be done (hopefully) by the end of the year and the bus stops, which is a large tender with over 3000 bus stops over the next two years
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

They better finish it by 2019, as I don't see labor finishing the job 100%.
At least they are less likely to rebrand it again post haste.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

Aurora wrote:
boxythingy wrote:It beggars belief why stations such as those on the ECRL even got hop signs when they knew they would be closing soon. :roll:
Not really considering they would have gotten a few years use out of them. Not like they only installed them this month.
It took ages for them to replace the signage at Sefton and Leumeah which never got the Blue/White signs. When the M signs are installed, I wonder if the T signs at Macquarie Park, Macquarie University and North Ryde will be reused somewhere else?
Swift

Post by Swift »

Fleet Lists wrote:But not closing permanently.
Reopening with Metro themed signage is the point. A waste of money -and done knowingly. Typical Liberals obsessed with cutting costs on ideological grounds, but waste money like it's toilet paper elsewhere.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Swift wrote: Reopening with Metro themed signage is the point. A waste of money -and done knowingly. Typical Liberals obsessed with cutting costs on ideological grounds, but waste money like it's toilet paper elsewhere.
The only T branding at these stations are the roundels above the entrances. Nothing else has been changed.
Swift

Post by Swift »

mandonov wrote:
Swift wrote: Reopening with Metro themed signage is the point. A waste of money -and done knowingly. Typical Liberals obsessed with cutting costs on ideological grounds, but waste money like it's toilet paper elsewhere.
The only T branding at these stations are the roundels above the entrances. Nothing else has been changed.
Good! :!:
Ranger82

Post by Ranger82 »

Orange Station Sign Update

Newcastle Line: Cowan to Tascott, Gosford, Tuggerah, Wyong, Morisset, Broadmeadow, Hamilton, Newcastle Interchange
South Coast Line: Helensburgh to Coalcliff, Scarborough (In Progress), Coledale, Austinmer, Nth Wollongong, Wollongong,
Shellharbour Jun, Gerringong, Berry, Bomaderry
Blue Mountains Line: Emu Plains, Springwood, Wentworth Falls, Leura, Katoomba

These Station have got it since last update

Helensburgh (Completed), Coalcliff, Scarborough (In Progress), Coledale
Cowan, Wondabyne, Tascott

Does anyone know anyother Stations
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Ranger82 wrote:Orange Station Sign Update

Newcastle Line: Cowan to Tascott, Gosford, Tuggerah, Wyong, Morisset, Broadmeadow, Hamilton, Newcastle Interchange
South Coast Line: Helensburgh to Coalcliff, Scarborough (In Progress), Coledale, Austinmer, Nth Wollongong, Wollongong,

Have you looked at the updating of signs for stations on the Southern Highlands line
Swift

Post by Swift »

This Liberal branding indulgence must be costing an absolute fortune and doesn't make the trains run on time.
I doubt it's needed to attract more commuters either.
We like to emulate what London does, but leaving branding well alone isn't one of them. The L7 became our LT roundel and they had to discard it on a whim.
Transport Buff
Favourite Vehicle: R9 Volvo Volgren artic

Post by Transport Buff »

Ranger82 wrote: Does anyone know anyother Stations
Yes. For the Blue Mountains Line, there is also Blaxland, Glenbrook and Lapstone.
There may be others on the Blue Mountains Line, but they are the ones that have the signage upgraded as of a couple weeks ago.
Love Volvo B12BLEA, Mercedes O405NH, Scania K310UB, Custom Denning Element
Excited for:
-Sydney Metro C&SW, West, WSydAirport
-NIF
-PLR
-WestConnex
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@TransportBuff
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Fleet Lists wrote:And will probably never be finished if the current government is not returned next year.
I hope they aren't returned next year, they don't deserve it (in my opinion), this absolute farce and waste of money Hop branding just being one of the many reasons why. It's something we just didn't need, we made the signs on our public transport worse (in my opinion), and why? Because Liberal ideology of "we're rich and have all this money to spend, so lets waste it on this for the sake of doing so." Old Glad sits on a bare 6 seat majority, is currently 50-50 with Labor, and given the humungous public outrage at her Opera House decision (thats nothing to be underestimated), she hopefully won't be sitting in the high chair for too much longer.

It was only Macquarie University that got the outside orange signs, North Ryde and Mac Park had the Cityrail blue station sign on the exterior with the train pictogram. The interior of all three stations remained with Cityrail navy/white direction signage and station signage, right up through to the closure. Made sense as to not waste money right before it would soon get Metro signs.Pic attached below is a few days before the train service ceased.
IMG_3504.jpg
IMG_3504.jpg (96.19 KiB) Viewed 13292 times
Swift wrote:
We like to emulate what London does, but leaving branding well alone isn't one of them. The L7 became our LT roundel and they had to discard it on a whim.
Yeah I was about to say, lately, TfNSW loves to get themselves off on emulating the UK (to them, that really just means London), Cubic, Double Deck buses + get rid of bendies just like London, Howard Collins, London Underground-style platform indicators trialed at Asquith, I gotta really wonder if TfNSW has been taken over by poms ;) Yet in my opinion, the old Cityrail platform/exit signage (navy and white), funnily enough....that was actually really close to what London Underground has, yet we just threw it away in favour of black and white, large text, as little info as possible and devoid of any character whatsoever. In fact the signage at our stations we got at the hands of the Libs have such little character, they perhaps even mirror all the soulless black development apartments thats been creeping up in Sydney the past few years
Swift

Post by Swift »

All part of the blandification programme of this metropolitan area.
Blade Runner should have taken place in Sydney as 2019 Sydney is getting closer than Los Angeles to the dystopian depiction in that film.
Any wonder there is a Facebook group devoted to old Sydney? :roll:
Richard290
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B8RLE Volgren Optimus

Post by Richard290 »

Macquarie University Campus has had Stand A redone with new Blue Hop E-ink signage for SL7, despite none of the other three stands on University Avenue being Hopified.
Living at the north end of the 513 & 535. and the confluence of 513, 535, 546, 549, 550, 553, 625 & 630.
Ranger82

Post by Ranger82 »

Campbelltown busboy wrote:
Ranger82 wrote:Orange Station Sign Update

Have you looked at the updating of signs for stations on the Southern Highlands line
I Think all the Station to Goulburn have the orange signs
Mboi84

Post by Mboi84 »

We like to emulate what London does, but leaving branding well alone isn't one of them. The L7 became our LT roundel and they had to discard it on a whim.[/quote]

Yeah I was about to say, lately, TfNSW loves to get themselves off on emulating the UK (to them, that really just means London), Cubic, Double Deck buses + get rid of bendies just like London, Howard Collins, London Underground-style platform indicators trialed at Asquith, I gotta really wonder if TfNSW has been taken over by poms ;) Yet in my opinion, the old Cityrail platform/exit signage (navy and white), funnily enough....that was actually really close to what London Underground has, yet we just threw it away in favour of black and white, large text, as little info as possible and devoid of any character whatsoever. In fact the signage at our stations we got at the hands of the Libs have such little character, they perhaps even mirror all the soulless black development apartments thats been creeping up in Sydney the past few years[/quote]

Whilst the new signage is, well ok - not great or something to be really proud of, the old signage (which to also be honest, there was quite a lot of signs and its just confused people, especially those with disabilities sometimes). They just needed to clean up and remove redundant signage under the old blue and white CityRail signs.

Something of a side note, TfL has been slammed by Transport for All (UK) over its confusing signage, which whilst we don't have enough or the right amount, it could be certainly worse. You can watch the video by BBC London here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnlIA5QPJ5Y

I do though believe the hop logo really hasn't taken off and is a pitiful attempt to try and match the famous TfL roundel signs but there was no comparison really.

On a side note, does anyone know what happened regarding those trials of the Passenger information displays at Asquith or Mount Ku-ring-gai. If your not sure what I am talking about, this is the new PIDs @ Mount Ku-ring-gai - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3lBG3x0WsY
Swift

Post by Swift »

Mboi84 wrote:

I do though believe the hop logo really hasn't taken off and is a pitiful attempt to try and match the famous TfL roundel signs but there was no comparison really.
Our station signage used to be based on the roundel, but with our own touch to it and they became Sydney's roundel, together with the very very distinctive L7 symbol, we all knew. Even (give) Nick (the flick) Greiner had the sense to retain the L7 logo instead of changing that too, with all the unasked for changes his regime imposed. He couldn't help separating the buses & ferries again and giving it the moderately successful snail logo, instead of keeping the same symbol for all three government transport modes, which worked well to make it feel like one network. London still kept the roundel to represent all modes after privatisation of the buses, but Nick had to leave his pi$$ scent on the system :(, which we didn't ask for. Liberals always spoil a good thing.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

I do laugh at the sheeting of all these changes to political parties or individuals.

I suspect there are instead plenty of faceless beaurecrats who made the decision. At best it would have been a simple sign-off on a forgone conclusion.

While I'm not necessarily a fan of the whole simplistic T/B/F/L (and certainly not M) signage it is consistent and in combination with Opal makes out system feel far more integrated.

The signage, particularly at rail stations in the CBD is much improved, particularly when you add CoSs recent wayfinding initiative.

-

I think the worst was early 90s when they rolled out those Next Station signs.. on a number of stations the next station was far more visible than the current.
mubd

Post by mubd »

moa999 wrote:I do laugh at the sheeting of all these changes to political parties or individuals.

I suspect there are instead plenty of faceless beaurecrats who made the decision. At best it would have been a simple sign-off on a forgone conclusion.
A good example of this is the standardised blue and white TfNSW livery. It was developed by Transport for NSW under the Labor government, but implemented by the Libs after 2011.

A quote from Gladys while in opposition about these plans:
However, Gladys Berejiklian, the opposition spokeswoman for transport, said: ''The government is more about creating the illusion of more buses on the road than providing better service.''
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/out ... 194gk.html

...then in 2011 the new government just continued the rollout of the buses. According to this article, 30 buses were already painted blue and white by the time of the election, which is low enough a number that I think the rollout could have been stopped if they wanted to.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/left- ... dd45e0d990
Eastgardens to Kingsford is a 1-2 section fare.
swtt

Post by swtt »

mubd wrote: ...then in 2011 the new government just continued the rollout of the buses. According to this article, 30 buses were already painted blue and white by the time of the election, which is low enough a number that I think the rollout could have been stopped if they wanted to.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/left- ... dd45e0d990

But if they were to come up with a new design then it would've been a different matter.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

mubd wrote:
A good example of this is the standardised blue and white TfNSW livery. It was developed by Transport for NSW under the Labor government, but implemented by the Libs after 2011.

A quote from Gladys while in opposition about these plans:
However, Gladys Berejiklian, the opposition spokeswoman for transport, said: ''The government is more about creating the illusion of more buses on the road than providing better service.''
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/out ... 194gk.html
And when she's in Opposition again after March (hopefully), lets see her change her mind on everything she started but Labor continues (rolling out Waratah II, finishing off CBD light rail, opening north west metro). This is one of many reasons why NSW Politics is a joke. It's well pointed out indeed that after she came to government, she then decided that giving the entire transport network a fresh coat of paint was of top priority. Wish NSW Politicians (on both sides) were held more to account for their words in the past vs now.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”