Heavily pregnant woman retreats from 'nightmare' bus ride

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
simonl

Re: Heavily pregnant woman retreats from 'nightmare' bus rid

Post by simonl »

CC 516 wrote:sorry, did not mean to include the photo again.
You can edit it out.

boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Fire engine; PD4107

Post by boronia »

CC 516 wrote: About 18 months ago they redirected busus through harbour tunnel onto william st to qvb set down in park st just before george st. can not specifically remember the situation, but it has happened
Probably due to Bridge closure. Has happened a few times, but in off peak.

But in this case the Tunnel was closed, in peak hour.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.

Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

Doc68 wrote:
tonyp wrote:You don't have to be a doctor to see that she's pregnant, not fat. :roll:
Yes but never ever assume or ask said woman unless you can see the baby emerging as some women can get quite upset if not pregnant :lol:
Emerging from where exactly? Her vagina? That's called giving birth my friend. I don't think getting a seat would be her biggest priority at that moment.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.

deepthought2006

Post by deepthought2006 »

captainch wrote:i'd say thats a telegraph posed shot near the womans house
That photo would make a good subject for a "Where Is It?" (See the Lunch Room). It looks to me like it's been "photoshopped". Look at the shadows under the cars and then assess the direction of the light striking the woman. I call faked!

With regard to the 15 minutes stationary at Spit Junction - that is likely true, or possibly an underestimation :shock: . I was on a bus stuck in traffic in Military Rd at the same time, same day - it took just over an hour for us to get from Spit Junction to Cremorne Junction (less than a kilometre and timetabled for 3 minutes) and I think it was close to another hour to get to St Leonards. As a result, most people seemed to be bailing out and leaving the buses at, or before, Spit Junction and walking - and outpacing the buses by a considerable margin. It was a nightmare!

With regard to the offering of a seat - no need to say why you're offering it - just politely ask the person if they would like to have your seat. If they accept, well done and even the driver might thank you on your way out. If they decline because they'd prefer to stand, that's OK. If they kick up a stink, simply apologise, sit back down and go back to reading or looking out the window - ignoring them. There will be enough of the other passengers staring at them by now.

On a few occasions, I've had to ask school kids to do the right thing and offer their seat to a paying passenger. Never had any problems with this.
All opinions expressed are my own.

GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

deepthought2006 wrote:On a few occasions, I've had to ask school kids to do the right thing and offer their seat to a paying passenger. Never had any problems with this.
I would always give up my seat for a older person since they fought for our freedom anyways, or a tired out worker.....
White ribbon day is most sexist thing ever

gld59

Post by gld59 »

deepthought2006 wrote:That photo would make a good subject for a "Where Is It?" (See the Lunch Room). It looks to me like it's been "photoshopped". Look at the shadows under the cars and then assess the direction of the light striking the woman. I call faked!
Could also be reflector or flash-fill. Taking a half-decent photo in the first place is probably much less effort than photoshop. :twisted:

gld

fm2790.

Post by fm2790. »

GazzaOak wrote:
boronia wrote:I really doubt that there would be standing room only at Warriewood at 6.30 am.

And she has 3 bags, was the photographer there when she boarded the bus?
If she were to boarded a bus at warriewood, i highly doubt she would been standing, because I board at narrabeen to go to tafe on the L85 and there still some seats left (unless if she gotten on the L90, E87 or whatever, in which I would assume that was the case)

Lets not forget about the L90 services that start from Mona Vale> Most of those short runners, or whatever you want to call them are never entirely full in am peak. If you are me, the whole story is another blown out of proportion story from media.

This news paper reporter needs to get his facts right before printing his story cause most of his fact are an understatement

fm2790.

Post by fm2790. »

GazzaOak wrote:
deepthought2006 wrote:On a few occasions, I've had to ask school kids to do the right thing and offer their seat to a paying passenger. Never had any problems with this.
I would always give up my seat for a older person since they fought for our freedom anyways, or a tired out worker.....

Most of the time, in todays society, people whether pedrestrians, passengers, drivers, can be so selfish, self centred, arrogant. It is very rare to see someone stand up for others in need.

fm2790.

Post by fm2790. »

deepthought2006 wrote:
captainch wrote:i'd say thats a telegraph posed shot near the womans house
On a few occasions, I've had to ask school kids to do the right thing and offer their seat to a paying passenger. Never had any problems with this.

With respect too you deepthought2006, these school kids lack manners, respect and responsibility. From my point of view, they should not be allowed on normal passenger services. I thought there were school buses for them.

fm2790.

Post by fm2790. »

I think people may get mixed up for it being a obese women, not a pregnant one, so people refused to offer a seat.... That what happen all the time.... pregnant women don't get treated as nicely because people may mistakenly think that person maybe obese.[/quote]

Isn't it that obvious to tell the difference in between a pregnant and an obese lady? I guess not as most people seem to be absent minded in todays world.

GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

fm2790. wrote:With respect too you deepthought2006, these school kids lack manners, respect and responsibility. From my point of view, they should not be allowed on normal passenger services. I thought there were school buses for them.
There will be routes where school buses don't go near their house or whatever.... so i think that justified if they get a normal bus

GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

fm2790. wrote:Isn't it that obvious to tell the difference in between a pregnant and an obese lady? I guess not as most people seem to be absent minded in todays world.
Well not always.... you could easily tell sometimes, but however its would be embarrassing as hell asking

TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 898

Post by TA3001 »

gld59 wrote:
deepthought2006 wrote:That photo would make a good subject for a "Where Is It?" (See the Lunch Room). It looks to me like it's been "photoshopped". Look at the shadows under the cars and then assess the direction of the light striking the woman. I call faked!
Could also be reflector or flash-fill. Taking a half-decent photo in the first place is probably much less effort than photoshop. :twisted:

gld
There appears to be some black and white artifacts visible next to her left hand in the photo. Looks to be a cut and paste job to me.

Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Meanwhile, in London-

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/tra ... ard-badges

See last paragraph

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Tonymercury wrote:Meanwhile, in London-

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/tra ... ard-badges

See last paragraph
That's ambiguous, "baby on board" would have people looking around the bus for the baby. Isn't "heavy with child" the traditional way of putting it? :wink:
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"

deepthought2006

Post by deepthought2006 »

Still, a good idea.

I recall my wife saying that it was in the first 3 months or so of pregnancy when she most needed a seat, as a result of the affects of morning sickness, lack of good sleep and so on. She said that after that (later in the pregnancies) she didn't really need to have a seat but, if offered, she would accept. Obviously, the pregnancy was not really visible as such in those first 3 months - she just looked like she had been eating too much, so the offers of a seat usually were not forthcoming when they were most needed.
All opinions expressed are my own.

Doc68
Favourite Vehicle: Technics sl1200

Post by Doc68 »

tonyp wrote:That's ambiguous, "baby on board" would have people looking around the bus for the baby. Isn't "heavy with child" the traditional way of putting it? :wink:
OH NO tonyp heavy with child some women can get quite upset if not pregnant :lol: Trust me I'm a Doctor
'GM 2strokes, still the most efficient engine ever developed for converting fuel into noise'.
Food has replaced sex in my life now I can't even get into my own pants

fm2790.

Post by fm2790. »

tonyp wrote:
Xplorer wrote:eight months pregnant and going to work, that's a risk itself
What's the problem? I've been 8 months pregnant four times and I sent my wife to work every time!

Hey TonyP Could you please reprahse that because your comment doesn't make sense. The impression I am getting by reading your comment is that you have been 8 months preganat 4 times but have sent your wife to work.

bussie

Post by bussie »

fm2790. wrote:
tonyp wrote: What's the problem? I've been 8 months pregnant four times and I sent my wife to work every time!

Hey TonyP Could you please reprahse that because your comment doesn't make sense. The impression I am getting by reading your comment is that you have been 8 months preganat 4 times but have sent your wife to work.
An unreported male pregnancy case, gynaes will be interested in this case.

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

fm2790. wrote:
tonyp wrote: What's the problem? I've been 8 months pregnant four times and I sent my wife to work every time!

You're supposed to read between the lines of this joke. :roll: :lol:
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"

Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

And also, why was the photo taken looking through glass? Looks photoshopped to me. You're correct, the woman's shadow is behind her, to the left, but the vehicles shadows point in the other direction to the right.

Unless their is CCTV footage, their is no proof that she was not offered a seat.
White lives matter too, as do ALL lives.

Myrtone

Post by Myrtone »

deepthought2006 wrote:With regard to the offering of a seat - no need to say why you're offering it - just politely ask the person if they would like to have your seat. If they accept, well done and even the driver might thank you on your way out. If they decline because they'd prefer to stand, that's OK. If they kick up a stink, simply apologise, sit back down and go back to reading or looking out the window - ignoring them. There will be enough of the other passengers staring at them by now.

Even better; If you don't have the sort of needs that heavily pregnant woman had at that time, it may be good advice to stay out of the priority seats unless every other seat is already taken.

mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Was it really worth dredging up an over 6 year old thread?

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

mandonov wrote:Was it really worth dredging up an over 6 year old thread?
The kid will be 5 years old now - old enough to start a thread on kids taking up adult seats. :wink:

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”