CBD & South East Light Rail

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
tonyp

Re: Light rail gets the green light: stage 1 UNSW to CBD

Post by tonyp »

Constance speaks well for once. Daley doesn't:

https://www.2gb.com/opposition-leader-p ... hats-that/

Michael Daley's ongoing concern for car drivers is touching. Way to go for Sydney's transport future isn't it.

A little correction: CSELR doesn't cross the M1 at grade, it crosses merely a pair of feeders to and from the M1 at grade. A big difference.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

^ probably because many workers drive. Workers vote labor.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Noticed how insignificant the tracks look when crossing at Barker St, Kingsford today.
Attachments
IMG_20190124_130507-1000x563.jpg
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

What are you talking about? Tracks are tracks!
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Daniel wrote:What are you talking about? Tracks are tracks!
Perhaps he is referencing the first generation tramway of 1861 on which the tracks protruded above the road level. The present tracks are indeed insignificant compared to that. You need to take a long-term perspective Daniel. ;)
Swift

Post by Swift »

It's hard to believe whopping great LRVs are going over that....to me anyway. :evil:

No tonyp, I'm afraid I'm not comparing it to anything else, but perhaps I should have run with that *sigh*.
Ikarbus

Post by Ikarbus »

Swift wrote:
It's hard to believe whopping great LRVs are going over that....to me anyway. :evil:

No tonyp, I'm afraid I'm not comparing it to anything else, but perhaps I should have run with that *sigh*.
The load carrying capacity of the track slab is all hidden in the underground work!
Swift

Post by Swift »

For a Sydney sider who grew up in the post tram closure era, this is well and truly something to get used to. When I recently saw a brief video of trams going through an intersection in Melbourne, it just looked freaky seeing this thing run seamlessly over an asphalt environment with the rails largely out of sight!

I'd just like to add, the naysayers are going to be blown away when this is finally UP AND RUNNING. THEY WILL CHANGE THEIR MIND OVERNIGHT!
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Swift wrote:It's hard to believe whopping great LRVs are going over that....to me anyway. :evil:
Try believing this video then!

boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Maybe they will do the same thing along Anzac Pde, the track bed is heavy enough.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

boronia wrote:Maybe they will do the same thing along Anzac Pde, the track bed is heavy enough.
I don't think motorists would appreciate waiting for a consist of coal to clear Allison Rd of a morning!

Fantastic vid Broadguage!!!! :lol:
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Kingsford interchange stop name confirmed as Juniors Kingsford:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newsl ... ae2092c113
gascoyne

Post by gascoyne »

The report of the Nile inquiry into the impact of this light rail can be read at https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/lcdoc ... roject.pdf

You've seen some of it in the news already but one part that's worth reading is the dissenting statement of two Opposition MLCs on pages 189-190

Their second paragraph begins "The CSELR project will go down in NSW history as one of the examples, par excellence, of how not to
build infrastructure" and takes a couple of pages to explain. Have a look!
moa999

Post by moa999 »

tonyp wrote:Kingsford interchange stop name confirmed as Juniors Kingsford:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newsl ... ae2092c113
Very disappointed with this decision.

Next we will have Vodafone North Sydney and Crown Barangaroo.
Swift

Post by Swift »

gascoyne wrote: Their second paragraph begins "The CSELR project will go down in NSW history as one of the examples, par excellence, of how not to
Painful reading had to stop halfway down but enough to confirm what a bunch of despots the LNP are.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

gascoyne wrote: Their second paragraph begins "The CSELR project will go down in NSW history as one of the examples, par excellence, of how not to
Would that be the same transport agency (under several different renamings) that successive Labor governments turned into a bus lobby (with a rail division on the side) and deskilled it of any impartial professional competency?
Swift wrote: what a bunch of despots the LNP are.
How so exactly? The only thing I can recall them being quite rightly despotic about is having to forcefully convert TfNSW back into something resembling a competent, holistic transport agency. That job still isn't complete.

The bit about somebody from TfNSW telling business owners to take a long unpaid holiday in Bali - I used to work with some shopping centre redevelopments and that's exactly what these shopping mall owners tell their tenants! The tenants cop it and don't complain because the gamble they take is that, because of the improvements, business will be much better when they come back. Same with public transport improvements.
BroadGauge

Post by BroadGauge »

Tony, what you're not realising is that these sites are full of people, often members of unions, who have been conditioned to always think that the ALP is the savior of public transport, and that the Liberal Party is the evil, always bad opponent to all the good things that the ALP does.

These same people still think that the ALP are the "one who stand up for the working class", even though at the federal level they are probably their 87th priority after other issues :twisted:

Anyway, NSW Labor had 16 years to leave their mark on the transport system and I don't recall it being amazing in 2011 when they left power. I remember how many times you had to wait 29 minutes for the next train back then, or how the comfortable seats in the Endeavour sets were removed and replaced by rocks around that period.
Swift

Post by Swift »

tonyp wrote:
Swift wrote: what a bunch of despots the LNP are.
How so exactly? The only thing I can recall them being quite rightly despotic about is having to forcefully convert TfNSW back into something resembling a competent, holistic transport agency. That job still isn't complete.
I read about residents suffering from the disruption and noise with no end in sight and this Coalition grub-ment being secretive over the affair even though they are our employees. I read about how kids of these residents in their HSC years can't study because of the noise and disruption to sleep that these employees of ours ignore and refuse to show accountability. That's dictatorship Liberal style. We need to restore democracy.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Swift wrote: I read about residents suffering from the disruption and noise with no end in sight and this Coalition grub-ment being secretive over the affair even though they are our employees. I read about how kids of these residents in their HSC years can't study because of the noise and disruption to sleep that these employees of ours ignore and refuse to show accountability. That's dictatorship Liberal style. We need to restore democracy.
And when Labor is building lots of roads (which it does), there's no noise and disruption that people don't get a say in?
The south-east light rail is an election undertaking that people voted for in 2011 and 2015.
Swift

Post by Swift »

^I just hope it doesn't get commandeered by uni students and school kids!!
BroadGauge

Post by BroadGauge »

Swift wrote:^I just hope it doesn't get commandeered by uni students and school kids!!
Aren't they permitted to use it? :shock:
swtt

Post by swtt »

BroadGauge wrote:Tony, what you're not realising is that these sites are full of people, often members of unions, who have been conditioned to always think that the ALP is the savior of public transport, and that the Liberal Party is the evil, always bad opponent to all the good things that the ALP does.

These same people still think that the ALP are the "one who stand up for the working class", even though at the federal level they are probably their 87th priority after other issues :twisted:

Anyway, NSW Labor had 16 years to leave their mark on the transport system and I don't recall it being amazing in 2011 when they left power. I remember how many times you had to wait 29 minutes for the next train back then, or how the comfortable seats in the Endeavour sets were removed and replaced by rocks around that period.
Amen. Couldn't have been better said.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 20 Pro using Tapatalk
Swift

Post by Swift »

^ That describes the Nick Greiner government to a T but the post John Fahey era off the ALP was Another Liberal Party!
Now we have an actual Liberal party that builds stuff but at what price? Kind of a throw back to the Askin years where they did worthwhile things like form the National Parks and Wildlife Service in 1967 and brought forward the long awaited ESR, but were oh so secretive and underhanded in character like today's administration.
If still rather let the libs finish what they've started than have a sinister Greenie agenda focused do little ALP.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

BroadGauge wrote: Aren't they permitted to use it? :shock:
Of course they are. UNSW is one of the major reasons for building the line.
STMPainter2018

Post by STMPainter2018 »

tonyp wrote:The only thing I can recall them being quite rightly despotic about is having to forcefully convert TfNSW back into something resembling a competent, holistic transport agency. That job still isn't complete.
And it will never be complete. You ask various volunteers at the STM and they will tell you - based on personal experience - how TfNSW is STILL full of incompetent bureaucrats who aren't qualified enough to do their jobs properly. It's like something out of ABC's Utopia; they go for the harder and more illogical choices instead of the easier and more logical ones when making decisions on transport and in the end, very little gets done. Sure the Libs might have made some improvements and I don't disagree on that front, but we're still FAR off from an agency that has their XXX together. And no, I don't expect Labor to make it all better but as I've mentioned before, I am so sick of this government plus it's tendency to overdevelop and destroy our heritage and environment for very little benefit, that I will be going with the alternatives that... don't do that. It may come at the cost to transport (and no I don't think Labor will be building any more roads either) but hey, there's always bribery... :lol:

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”