CBD & South East Light Rail

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
moa999

Re: Light rail gets the green light: stage 1 UNSW to CBD

Post by moa999 »

Post on Twitter that the tram was out around midnight. Surprised no photos.

https://twitter.com/rfwebster/status/966660586883883008
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Here is a photo that the photographer John Cowper has kindly given me permission to use. Please note that the photo is copyright, hence I'm only posting a link.

https://scontent.fmel1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5A91C530
Ikarbus

Post by Ikarbus »

Here's my video from last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp4IlG2aYn4
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I hope that isn't the typical speed it will be doing. I'll take a gasipid in fifth gear thanks.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
hornetfig

Post by hornetfig »

Swift wrote:I hope that isn't the typical speed it will be doing. I'll take a gasipid in fifth gear thanks.
That turnout is 15km/h. It did that for the first half of the curve but then dawdled into the depot.
Ikarbus

Post by Ikarbus »

Swift wrote:I hope that isn't the typical speed it will be doing. I'll take a gasipid in fifth gear thanks.
Correct the turnout is 15kmh, although the straight through speed is only 30 :(.
Attachments
IMG_20180226_150038.jpg
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The white line is at the end of the platform ramp, so it is highly unlikely the tram would be going any faster at that point.

Beyond the white line is a section of unconcreted track, so perhaps this will be paved?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

SLR's Facebook page has some video of the trial, which has been sped up somewhat to make it look like the tram is going fast.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

boronia wrote:The white line is at the end of the platform ramp, so it is highly unlikely the tram would be going any faster at that point.

Beyond the white line is a section of unconcreted track, so perhaps this will be paved?
Pedestrian access?
Swift

Post by Swift »

Ikarbus wrote:
the straight through speed is only 30 :(.
Average speed between stops will be considerably lower without traffic light priority. RMS get your head out of your a%^&*es.
hornetfig

Post by hornetfig »

boronia wrote:Beyond the white line is a section of unconcreted track, so perhaps this will be paved?
The pedestrian crossings (such as pictured) get exposed aggregate concrete in Randwick City Council boundaries. They've been doing some of these on Alison Rd recently. From memory the ones at Wansey Rd stop are done along with the crossings at Cowper St and John St and on the shared busway at Doncaster Ave and near Anzac Pde. On Anzac Pde the ones for Carlton St stop are done and at Bowral St. Todman Ave has some problems and they seem to be omitted at Addison St, Doncaster Ave and High St - so I expect rework at the end of the project. In Kingsford I can't remember which are done and which aren't!
boronia

Post by boronia »

Swift wrote:
Ikarbus wrote:
the straight through speed is only 30 :(.
Average speed between stops will be considerably lower without traffic light priority. RMS get your head out of your a%^&*es.
There are no stops or traffic lights between this point and Lang Rd, only 3 junctions to contend with. Will be interesting to see how much conflict arises where the two lines split.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

It maybe a stupid but serious question will they repave the roads & footpaths properly after the LR project is completed considering the very poor state of some roads mainly Anzac Parade.
boronia

Post by boronia »

They did a poor job of resurfacing the section where they excavated for the tunnel.
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote:The white line is at the end of the platform ramp, so it is highly unlikely the tram would be going any faster at that point.

I would expect a sign for maximum line speed on the straight at this point (the facing points obviously aren't a concern, otherwise the speed sign for the straight would be on the far side of them). I would think that this should be 50-60 km/h on the Anzac/Alison section. Looks like we might be getting a repeat of IWLR's soporific speed regime. It's NSW.
Swift

Post by Swift »

tonyp wrote: It's NSW.
You won't find two words that embody the whole problem more concisely.
Ikarbus

Post by Ikarbus »

Yes it will be paved.

This pedestrian crossing will be signalised.

There is also a signalised ped-x'ing at the other (Western) side of the depot turnout.

Then there will be another signal just West of Doncaster where the busway and track merge together.

Another signalised ped crossing near the corner of Anzac/Alison

Then another (existing) signal at Anzac/Robertson Rd which is complex - the divergence of the busway and Randwick track branch, and the turnout of the Kingsford track branch, as well as bus entry/exit from Anzac Pde.
hornetfig wrote:The pedestrian crossings (such as pictured) get exposed aggregate concrete in Randwick City Council boundaries. They've been doing some of these on Alison Rd recently. From memory the ones at Wansey Rd stop are done along with the crossings at Cowper St and John St and on the shared busway at Doncaster Ave and near Anzac Pde. On Anzac Pde the ones for Carlton St stop are done and at Bowral St. Todman Ave has some problems and they seem to be omitted at Addison St, Doncaster Ave and High St - so I expect rework at the end of the project. In Kingsford I can't remember which are done and which aren't!
Not necessarily correct, the exposed aggregate treatment is for sections which form part of the trafficable lane, to provide adequate grip/friction for road traffic, though it may be the case it is used at pedestrian crossings, but usually a broomed concrete finish is preferred for foot traffic.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

It goes without saying that trams should have full priority at signalised pedestrian crossings too. Trams shouldn't be held up by pedestrians crossing on front of them.
Myrtone

Post by Myrtone »

Remember, pedestrians, like manually steered vehicles, are not limited to tram tracks.
hornetfig

Post by hornetfig »

tonyp wrote:I would expect a sign for maximum line speed on the straight at this point (the facing points obviously aren't a concern, otherwise the speed sign for the straight would be on the far side of them). I would think that this should be 50-60 km/h on the Anzac/Alison section. Looks like we might be getting a repeat of IWLR's soporific speed regime. It's NSW.
It's not. It's managed. And it's dumb. For example, coming out of Wansey Rd stop it's 30km/h then a bit further west it's 40km/h then less than a tram length later it's 50km/h. The highest posted sign is 80km/h between Anzac Pde junction and Lang Rd.
simonl

Post by simonl »

^ Did you quote the wrong post there? Your answer makes no sense.
tonyp wrote:It goes without saying that trams should have full priority at signalised pedestrian crossings too. Trams shouldn't be held up by pedestrians crossing on front of them.
Huh? Aren't you saying that there shouldn't be any signalised pedestrian crossings? How do you have a signalised crossing that never stops a tram - a passive crossing that tells you when no trams are coming?
Myrtone

Post by Myrtone »

It could be programmed so that the lights don't go red on tram approach. Where foot traffic is heavy enough, a grade separated crossing would be a better alternative.
Swift

Post by Swift »

simonl wrote: Huh? Aren't you saying that there shouldn't be any signalised pedestrian crossings? How do you have a signalised crossing that never stops a tram - a passive crossing that tells you when no trams are coming?
Yes. Designed to stop pedestrians when a tram is approaching, not the other way around. The tram as a viable way to travel must never be held back for individuals wishing to cross the tracks by foot. It should work like any level rail crossing.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

hornetfig wrote:
It's not. It's managed. And it's dumb. For example, coming out of Wansey Rd stop it's 30km/h then a bit further west it's 40km/h then less than a tram length later it's 50km/h. The highest posted sign is 80km/h between Anzac Pde junction and Lang Rd.
Yes, micromanagement in full cry.

Even in Glebe tunnel on IWLR they only manage to hold 80 km/h for a few seconds before they have to back off again. The section south of Lang Rd they wouldn't even get to 80. That's just stupid. In an operating environment like CSELR they don't need a maximum speed for more than 60, definitely no more than 70 (which is actually the standard maximum speed overseas above which a tram is considered to need full railway-standard safeworking rather than line-of-sight operation). It is acceleration and deceleration, stop dwells and traffic light priority that are going to determine average speed, which is the important issue.

If there are "80" signs there, it's a good indication that they don't have a clue what they're doing.
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

I hope they understand the concept of smooth acceleration.

From the cattle's point of view, almost falling over and having to brace oneself in a different direction is an annoyance. Having to do so, multiple times, because the driver likes to make several separate short, sharp, stabs at the accelerator, is an even bigger annoyance.

I was on a bus a while ago which did that. I told the driver she shouldn't do it, she blamed the transmission.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”