• Advertisement

Introducing OPAL Card

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion

Re: Introducing OPAL Card

Postby Jurassic_Joke » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:14 pm

I’m sure the wayfarers are like a normal cash register, it saves all transactions (+ probably calculates how much money should still be in the float at the end of the shift ;) )
Scania K280UB CB80 > Volvo B7RLE CB80

Millennium > Waratah
Jurassic_Joke

Favourite Vehicle: STA Scania K280UB CC CB80

Postby boronia » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:01 pm

Swift wrote:They need to come up with a zap on for those anti social types who board without tapping on such as one who got on a 397 not long ago. :evil:

Only one? Must have been a quiet day.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2019
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby Jurassic_Joke » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:37 pm

boronia wrote:
Swift wrote:They need to come up with a zap on for those anti social types who board without tapping on such as one who got on a 397 not long ago. :evil:

Only one? Must have been a quiet day.

You all should catch the N90 one night. There are a couple of regular drivers that don’t put up with this crap. Brave, I know, but good on them. What one of does is open only ONE door from the double leaf front doors, basically makes them go past him , single file line, and tap on, 2nd opal reader is covered up and he tells them to tap on next to him or else he yells and calls them back (and that “I’m not leaving till you do”). He’s been sworn at but seems to be pretty resilient. I only have the utmost respect for him.

I’d send a compliment but I’m afraid he’d get into trouble :(
Scania K280UB CB80 > Volvo B7RLE CB80

Millennium > Waratah
Jurassic_Joke

Favourite Vehicle: STA Scania K280UB CC CB80

Postby Passenger 57 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:20 pm

Jurassic_Joke wrote:Shh, don't give them ideas! See, Opals still filled with flaws, we've had the current system for almost a year and a half already, and I've still found ways to beat the system and in this particular loophole, theres no way to close it off without pissing off everyone else (namely reducing the maximum journey time). Go to any ungated train station, light rail stop, OR gated train station with the wide gate open (you'd be surprised how often I see it open). Don't tap off, leave station. Do what you need to go, see all you need to see. Come back a few hours later. Then tap off, change modes, receive your $2 discount and also reset the journey time completely. You can even do it to take a bus one stop from the train station, then walk back, tap back on the train and thats your 5 hours reset.

Obviously this trick means that that trip won't count towards your travel reward but then therefore, once you cross the 8 trips threshold, this doesnt matter anymore, so abuse it all ya want. Perfect timing it actually brought down my weekly bill from $42 -> $30 once/

Huh, every journey counts unless you incur a default fare on the first trip of a journey. It's usually fine to save journeys (via legal means) unless you will make greater savings from deliberately taking cheap full price journeys to receive 50% savings on long journeys.

Or simply just gaming it to extend beyond a 1 hour transfer. Theres also a little-known glitch in there, where the current maximum number of trips is 7 in a journey, well, if you change modes, then it actually becomes 12 in total. Don't ask me why but its in there.

Actually, its 7 transfers and therefore 8 trips. I assume it applies per mode so you should get another 8 on the new mode.

I can't actually see them cutting down on the number of transfers allowed in a journey anymore. It would actually be another backflip.

Depends on whether the number of transfers allowed is per mode or journey. As far as I know you can transfer between modes all you like and increasing transfers on the former was an anti-gaming measure. Curiously, it doesn't seem to be documented but at least maximum journey times are. There was no outcry when the credits for traveling back to station where a rail journey originated were removed.

Most people will not notice changes in the fringe areas of Opal behaviour and most of the remainder will just shrug their shoulders. Only obsessives like you and me care about the minutiae of the Opal rules,

Andrew Constance is the imcumbent minister for transport, and he encouraged people to "transfer" (modes) in May/September 2016 the same way Gladys encouraged gaming. He was able to overturn Gladys' key selling point because she was then as treasurer in a position to hide and stay silent, but backflipping now on transfers will just get everyone to accuse him of backflipping on the transfer discount he peddled.

There already has been a regression simply because the transfer rebate did not increase in line with fares causing journeys with transfers to increase at a multiple of the fare rise.

Anyways, transfer discount in its own self is hugely flawed because the point of it was to try and integrate fares. It doesnt really, catch any peak hour train, a bus over 3km (easy to do), or a ferry, wow, and you still pay a good amount for that second leg. It's not really a strong incentive to get up, leave my seat, and in the case of the train and the 1 HOUR transfer, forfeit my off peak train fare. The fact alone that they didnt increase the rebate with the fare increase last year is pretty disturbing in my opinion, because they were very quiet about it and it suggests it'll stay like that for a long time....meaning the value of the discount is just becoming more and more useless over time.

This year should be the acid test. They might want to move it in 10c multiples. My disgust will increase if it doesn't rise to $2.10.

I agree with your other points.
Passenger 57

Postby Swift » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:27 pm

Are bus drivers manually activating Opal readers?
I had to ask one driver if he had control of the readers when they remained on please wait. He nodded and then they worked and I tapped off.
Today the same thing happened only for them to work after a few seconds.
'Neville Wran, he's our man. He's got this great state moving.'
Swift

Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Postby matthewg » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:33 am

Swift wrote:Are bus drivers manually activating Opal readers?

They CAN, but shouldn't need to.

There appears to be an option to use the arrow keys to manually advance the stops if the GPS fails. Few bother manually selecting the stop, in this case, they just wake up the system to stop the passengers from complaining. Revenue collection/protection isn't their problem.
It can also be used to wake up the system if the bus has to make a stop outside one of its normal stops. Presumably, the system will pick the closest on route stop automatically.
matthewg

Postby moa999 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:19 am

matthewg wrote: Presumably, the system will pick the closest on route stop automatically.

Seems to pick the last stop from what I can tell.
Stop near my house where I believe the GPS data is incorrect (out by about 50m in Google Maps) where the driver almost always needs to press the button to manually wake the system.

Anyone know where this should actually be reported. I've tried Opal a couple of times but they don't seem to do anything with it
moa999

Postby pgt » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:04 pm

moa999 wrote:
matthewg wrote: Presumably, the system will pick the closest on route stop automatically.
Seems to pick the last stop from what I can tell.
Stop near my house where I believe the GPS data is incorrect (out by about 50m in Google Maps) where the driver almost always needs to press the button to manually wake the system.

Anyone know where this should actually be reported. I've tried Opal a couple of times but they don't seem to do anything with it
The last couple of times I reported this sort of issue was in fact to Opal (who did get it fixed); but in saying that maybe through the transportnsw.info website might be the go if Opal didn't do anything about it?
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
pgt

Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Postby moa999 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:03 am

7News ad during tennis tonight promising a story on Opal Card changes on Monday, with a shot of Constance saying "it changes everything"

Guessing it will be just Opal Pay or Contactless rollout
moa999

Postby Swift » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:33 am

moa999 wrote:7News ad during tennis tonight promising a story on Opal Card changes on Monday, with a shot of Constance saying "it changes everything"

With that annoying smiley face he puts on?
'Neville Wran, he's our man. He's got this great state moving.'
Swift

Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Postby homebush » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:08 pm

moa999 wrote:7News ad during tennis tonight promising a story on Opal Card changes on Monday, with a shot of Constance saying "it changes everything"

This is the advertisement moa999 was talking about
https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/status/ ... 2046582784
homebush

Postby BeauGiles » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:43 pm

homebush wrote:

This is the advertisement moa999 was talking about
https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/status/ ... 2046582784

Potentially Park&Ride which launches today https://transportnsw.info/news/2018/com ... e#homepage
Posts made are my own personal opinions, and aren't made on behalf of my employer.
BeauGiles

Postby Fleet Lists » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:20 pm

Which is nearly a week old - it was posted here then in the BLine thread. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=81679&p=1020343&hilit=B+Line#p1020343
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby moa999 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:37 pm

moa999

Postby pgt » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:57 am

Not wanting to bring politics into this, but have to mention it briefly.

I notice that in amongst the offer from the government to the unions re wage/conditions negotiations, it made mention of offering:
Sydney Morning Herald wrote:...the extension of free travel using Opal cards to private and on-demand buses and the new metro lines when they open.
I wasn't even aware that one could use, say, OpalPay on these on-demand buses (mind you, I'm not even sure how many have launched, if any)?
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
pgt

Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Postby Glen » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:05 pm

pgt wrote:Not wanting to bring politics into this, but have to mention it briefly.

I notice that in amongst the offer from the government to the unions re wage/conditions negotiations, it made mention of offering:
Sydney Morning Herald wrote:...the extension of free travel using Opal cards to private and on-demand buses and the new metro lines when they open.
I wasn't even aware that one could use, say, OpalPay on these on-demand buses (mind you, I'm not even sure how many have launched, if any)?

A lot have launched!

https://transportnsw.info/travel-info/w ... -transport
Glen

Postby boronia » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:51 pm

Sydney Morning Herald wrote:
...the extension of free travel using Opal cards to private and on-demand buses and the new metro lines when they open.

One version I read of this was that the offer applied to Region 6, not specifically all regions.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2019
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby Passenger 57 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:59 pm

pgt wrote:I wasn't even aware that one could use, say, OpalPay on these on-demand buses.

You are correct. You can't. You need to pay in advance for most of the trials currently anyway. I think only the Sutherland trial accepts cash. I would think they would want to keep the advance payment aspect and possibly avoid introducing readers but with or without on-board Opal readers advance payment with current stored-value Opal complicates things. Hopefully, it will be Opal rather than OpalPay on future on-demand bus services as OpalPay is poor alternative to payment cards and regular Opal.

The article can be found here if anyone else wants context.
Passenger 57

Postby tonyp » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:05 am

Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby Linto63 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:55 am

Rather conveniently ignores that the majority of the cost would still have had to be incurred even if we had gone straight to tap and go. But it is the Daily Wail, never let the truth get in the way of a sensationalist headline. :roll:
Linto63

Postby tonyp » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:07 am

Linto63 wrote:Rather conveniently ignores that the majority of the cost would still have had to be incurred even if we had gone straight to tap and go. But it is the Daily Wail, never let the truth get in the way of a sensationalist headline. :roll:

Like the equally unreliable Guardian, I don't read the DM. I just stumbled across this story as a news click on a generic news site and thought it would be good fun to post it. And I was right. :wink:
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby Fleet Lists » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:16 am

What does not appear to be mentioned in the article linked to, is the that Daily Terror's article includes a paragraph at the end that an announcement will be made today that OpalPay will be extended to certain Captain Cook Ferry routes.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby moa999 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:03 am

Which routes?

Also suggestion in this article on the BankWest Halo that Opal Contactless will go to full rollout in Feb.
http://www.smh.com.au/money/planning/pa ... 0p1gv.html
moa999

Postby Fleet Lists » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:49 am

Quote from the above link
The NSW government is looking at making the Opal system open loop, which would mean you could tap on and off with a contactless card or payment-enabled wearable device. Transport for NSW has been trialling it for the Manly Ferry since July last year and is expected to roll it out across the network as early as February.

And the statement about Captain Cook ferries:
The government will today announce a further expansion of the Opal Card into the private sector, adding trips on Sealink and Captain Cook Cruises to Manly, Watsons Bay and Lane Cove.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby neilrex » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:05 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australi ... spartanntp

A story today about the abolition of myki, Go and Opal cards.

I'm not a fan. My bank card stays in my wallet and my Opal card in my shirt pocket. Not a fan of opening my wallet 8 times a day. that's the way to lose things.
neilrex

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Sydney / NSW