• Advertisement

Introducing OPAL Card

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion

Re: Introducing OPAL Card

Postby Tonymercury » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:11 am

The station access fee is $13.40 each way in that fare.
Tonymercury

Postby simonl » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:06 pm

homer9000 wrote:how does it work for the tourists the opal card.I was in sydney yesterday coming home from a cruise and had to get from the airport to the city return to get film from a pharmacy at circular quay as the ship i came off doesn't sell any as neither did any shop at the airport. $36 although expensive by say singapore mrt from their airport to the city(they charge less than $6 local money)and hong kong is not too bad once you take conversion from the hkd to aud into account is great too

It could be better for tourists however, you will find that there are about half a dozen Opal retailers at Circular Quay. You just have to know where to look: http://retailers.opal.com.au/

I'm sure both the airport terminals sell them at the ticket counters too. Did you try to buy there? I'm confused by your question actually. You can get a refund of any unused balance to an Australian bank account.
simonl

Postby moa999 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:56 pm

And on a day return using Opal you also get access to off-peak fares and the weekly airport gate fee cap.

I believe they alao sell Opals at the info booth at CQ Station
moa999

Postby boronia » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:09 pm

There is a Transport.Info counter at CQ. You can get cards there, but you might have to go elsewhere to cash them up? (Or they just don't accept cash payments?)
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby Passenger 57 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:24 pm

homer9000 wrote:how does it work for the tourists the opal card.I was in sydney yesterday coming home from a cruise and had to get from the airport to the city return to get film from a pharmacy at circular quay as the ship i came off doesn't sell any as neither did any shop at the airport. $36 although expensive by say singapore mrt from their airport to the city(they charge less than $6 local money)and hong kong is not too bad once you take conversion from the hkd to aud into account is great too

With an Opal card, you would have paid 2 x $2.42 (0-10km off-peak) + $27 (Station Access Fee weekly cap) = $31.84. If you can still go negative at the airport you could have done it for $20. If you were an international tourist for whom a cheque would be useless due to the high fees in cashing an Australian cheque the remainder of your Opal balance too, a minimum of $35 for your scenario. With that kind of money I would have bought a disposable camera if they still sell them.

Some cities slug you for traveling to the airport but there is often a cheaper alternative. With an Opal card you could have travelled by Route 400 bus between the Airport and Mascot station avoiding the Station Access Fee (a.k.a. Gate Pass). That adds just $0.15 to the off-peak rail 0-10 km rail fare of $2.42 after the $2 transfer rebate is taken into account. It's even a better deal if you travel from the International Airport because that is in the next rail band. It worth doing that without an Opal card as well because the Station Access Fee is so extortionate.

Tonymercury wrote:The station access fee is $13.40 each way in that fare.

$13.80 actually, with the return cap effectively costing $13.20 due to the weekly cap kicking in. The SAF looks to still be on the old schedule of New year fare increases so it is rising to $14.30 Monday Week. Presumably, the cap will also rise, I would guess to $29 based on past rises or $28 based on a proportionate rise but I've seen no announcement so far.
Passenger 57

Postby Jurassic_Joke » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:51 pm

$2.60 Sunday on NYE Eve with all those extra overnight services what an absolute steal. Knowing TfNSW’s bureaucracy I’m pleasantly surprised they didn’t change it to the normal cap for today.

Enjoy! (Next Year, NYE is Monday, so normal day cap)
Scania K280UB CB80 > Volvo B7RLE CB80

Millennium > Waratah
Jurassic_Joke

Favourite Vehicle: STA Scania K280UB CC CB80

Postby Passenger 57 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:30 pm

Free would be better. For the rest of the year more rational pricing for Saturday, Sunday and public holidays would be the go. As IPART recommended but preferably much cheaper. I can hardly wait until I get a Seniors Card. Sunday every day. I will have little reason to complain about Opal's short comings then.
Passenger 57

Postby simonl » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:34 pm

Opal's shortcomings? There aren't that many besides the lack of political will for a rational fare policy. We've come a long way with the transfer discount and getting rid of the 8 then free in this term of government.
simonl

Postby moa999 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:49 pm

You can argue amendments till the cows come home but at the moment I think Opal is pretty good on the fairness and equity stakes compared to most systems around the world, particularly recognising the distances you can travel

- Travel further you pay more
- Travel on more expensive to provide modes you pay more
- Need to change modes or transfer you get a rebate (partial or full)
- Frequent travellers get a discount, but still pay something

I can't see any big changes until June 2019 (after the next election and opening of LR and Metro), as in any change the losers complain more than the winners celebrate,
Probably starting with Pensioner fares which haven't moved in a long time.
moa999

Postby Jurassic_Joke » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:24 am

Passenger 57 wrote:Free would be better. For the rest of the year more rational pricing for Saturday, Sunday and public holidays would be the go. As IPART recommended but preferably much cheaper. I can hardly wait until I get a Seniors Card. Sunday every day. I will have little reason to complain about Opal's short comings then.

Well, $2.60 under travel reward is still extremely easy to transcend and then you got free rides across all modes until 4am this morning. Compared to a year from now, same hoopla of extra services and trains all night long, your daily cap will be $15 instead of $2.60, so have fun with that :D
simonl wrote:Opal's shortcomings? There aren't that many besides the lack of political will for a rational fare policy. We've come a long way with the transfer discount and getting rid of the 8 then free in this term of government.

You indeed make a great point Simon about 8 then free being controversial and too easy to rort, and looking at the statistics of lost revenue each year it had to go, but it doesn't change as discussed in the fares thread way back, both the transfer discount and the half price travel reward are extremely flawed and poorly thought out.

TfNSW indicated they wanted to accept the original IPART recommendation of integrated fares but couldn't because of technical restraints - well, I very much sure hope they've at least begun working on making it happen.

moa999 wrote:
I can't see any big changes until June 2019 (after the next election and opening of LR and Metro), as in any change the losers complain more than the winners celebrate,

Agree. Wow, its 2018, and the next election is already in just over a year. How exciting - actually not really, to be realistic, it'll be a walk in the park for Gladys. It’s at Federal level where the Libs look almost certain to take a real thumping from Labor.

They will not touch the pensioner fare until after the election because otherwise its getting too political - can see them raising it to the same level of the Sunday cap for everyone else and use the relevant justification of having not seen an increase for a long time.

Millennium > Waratah
Jurassic_Joke

Postby simonl » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:22 pm

moa999 wrote:You can argue amendments till the cows come home but at the moment I think Opal is pretty good on the fairness and equity stakes compared to most systems around the world, particularly recognising the distances you can travel

There are still few people who see the problem with having an 8+km bus band with a 0-10km rail band. Hardly fair.

The obvious limitation of that is the incentive to use a 620X vs M60 + rail from Pennant Hills, and similar journeys, mostly in the Pennant Hills and Beecroft rail feeders. Also on Victoria Rd, it can be cheaper to use an M52 to the city vs a rail/bus journey. These are just the ones I'm familiar with, I'm sure there are more.
simonl

Postby gld59 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:00 pm

simonl wrote:There are still few people who see the problem with having an 8+km bus band with a 0-10km rail band. Hardly fair.

The obvious limitation of that is the incentive to use a 620X vs M60 + rail from Pennant Hills, and similar journeys, mostly in the Pennant Hills and Beecroft rail feeders. Also on Victoria Rd, it can be cheaper to use an M52 to the city vs a rail/bus journey. These are just the ones I'm familiar with, I'm sure there are more.

During the transition from the old tickets it was probably a good thing to retain that, in a "backward compatibility" sense, to encourage rapid uptake of Opal with as little complaint as possible. With the old tickets long gone, it's certainly time to make those adjustments (even with the squealing which is sure to occur). :roll:

The examples you give all have capacity issues, where the buses may be useful as a supplement to rail anyway, but an uneven fare structure should not be tangled up in / reinforcing that.

gld
gld59

Postby simonl » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:10 pm

Huh? Not true at all that there are capacity issues on the upper northern line. However, they are about to be created! Perhaps that is what you meant.

Agree about the part that you shouldn't have created a disincentive to use Opal with higher fares - although that was done at at least one point as I recall.
simonl

Postby Passenger 57 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:59 am

moa999 wrote:You can argue amendments till the cows come home but at the moment I think Opal is pretty good on the fairness and equity stakes compared to most systems around the world, particularly recognising the distances you can travel

There are certainly worse systems but there is a lot of scope for improvement. Opal is a good example of how not to design a fare system IMO.

Er, not always. Not unless you travel on a single trip in a single direction. The distance metrics used in Opal have zonal characteristics, it's just that the midpoint of the zone is wherever you start your journey from. Opal fares for circular journeys or circular trips on buses are poor approximations to the distance travelled. Now this might be a good thing. Its arguably fairer to passengers if their fare is based on the distance between the start and end points of their journey rather than the actual distance they have traveled despite the seemingly unfairness when a passenger traveling a shorter distance pays a higher fare than one traveling a longer one.

Opal has no consistent policy here even if we consider it valid that the different modes should have different policies. Rail fares use the track distances as a fare metric (ignoring the city treatment) but does not count any track distance toward the origin of the journey. At least this is an improvement for fare box revenue over the original implementation which reduced fares for travel toward the origin which was silently fixed.

At least this is better than the bus implementation where journey fares depend on the point of transfer. Unlike trains you need to tap off/on to transfer between buses, but if your transfer point in a different fare band than your ultimate destination you pay more than if a direct service been available. There is also the oddity because of this that forward and reverse journeys may be differently priced even though the distance between the origin and ultimate destination are the same. There is also the theoretical absurdity that someone travelling on a bus single could be fined for getting off the bus too early.

Ferry fares have the added flaw that you pay 2 fares if you break your journey anywhere besides Circular Quay and follow the rules about tapping off and on.

That's a matter of policy. Flawed policy in my opinion. The modes are not in competition. People should not be discouraged from taking the most efficient mode, Unless you have a reasonable choice of modes you shouldn't pay more. Why would you want to add to road congestion by forcing people off Ferries. By all means charge people more for premium services.

A very poor implementation for fare integration providing opportunities for gaming but better than nothing. Already dialed back in its 2nd year by not increasing the rebate inline with other fare increases. I am not hopeful we will see anything better than this.

Unless they hit the weekly caps and the need to travel M-S to get a cap. Still gameable just not by as many people. Flawed as people can arrange their travel to get discounts on their most expensive fares and because the same daily cap applies the discount will not be realised by some people.
It's largely a matter of policy but at least the previous system had the desirable property of capped pricing for M-F commuters. The new system shares the flaw of the previous ones that the benefits of the weekly reward are not proportional to the costs

All that is necessary is for fare box revenue to be the loser then everyone can be winners. People who are winning now because the fare rebate is so poorly designed have no basis for complaining. I figure the Government and TfNSW thinks the problem of transfer penalties is already satisfactorily addressed so I'm not hopeful about progress on the fare integration front. Prior to the introduction of the transfer rebate I was under the impression that buses and LR would be treated as a single mode. That would also allow the lack of transfer rebates applying between Ferries and LR to be easily addressed as Ferry and LR trips are coded the same way on Opal cards if it is not solved prior to then. However, having full fare integration only between the LR or CSELR only and buses would stand out as a wart so there is a glimmer of hope I suppose.
Jurassic_Joke wrote:You indeed make a great point Simon about 8 then free being controversial and too easy to rort, and looking at the statistics of lost revenue each year it had to go, but it doesn't change as discussed in the fares thread way back, both the transfer discount and the half price travel reward are extremely flawed and poorly thought out.

I would say a great part of the travel reward gaming was stamped out by doubling the number of trips allowed in a journey and by increasing the number of surrounding stations and LR stops where transfers where applicable. Doubling the number of trips brings with it its own flaws and could now be removed if that already hasn't been done silently, The gaming merely added cover for what IPART wanted to do which was simply to increase revenue as can be seen from the draft proposal of: 10 most expensive fares then free. Not 8.

TfNSW indicated they wanted to accept the original IPART recommendation of integrated fares but couldn't because of technical restraints - well, I very much sure hope they've at least begun working on making it happen.

The The IPART Final Report says this on pg. 4
IPART wrote:Overall, the Government’s position is that it supports the overall intent of our Draft Report to make changes that deliver a fairer, more efficient and more integrated fares system. TfNSW also advised that our several of our proposals are not feasible in the 2016 determination period due to the technical limitations of the Opal system

Or ever. The rebate proposal in the draft report was awful as was the separate multi-mode fare calculation. IPART are not the people you want to design a fare system on their own, they lack the skills. In any case, the system used in Singapore is inline with the views IPART expressed in its issues paper and largely failed to deliver on and would be an excellent template for our own - if we must be one of the few cities to have a distance based system rather than zone based systems that most of the world uses.
Passenger 57

Postby Fleet Lists » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:13 am

Or ever. The rebate proposal in the draft report was awful as was the separate multi-mode fare calculation. IPART are not the people you want to design a fare system on their own, they lack the skills. In any case, the system used in Singapore is inline with the views IPART expressed in its issues paper and largely failed to deliver on and would be an excellent template for our own - if we must be one of the few cities to have a distance based system rather than zone based systems that most of the world uses.

I totally agree with that.

The rest of the above post is very much a matter of opinion. We have been through discussion in both of the latest fare increases and undoubtedly we will never agree on most of those points.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Jurassic_Joke » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:21 am

Passenger 57 wrote:I would say a great part of the travel reward gaming was stamped out by doubling the number of trips allowed in a journey and by increasing the number of surrounding stations and LR stops where transfers where applicable. Doubling the number of trips brings with it its own flaws and could now be removed if that already hasn't been done silently, The gaming merely added cover for what IPART wanted to do which was simply to increase revenue as can be seen from the draft proposal of: 10 most expensive fares then free. Not 8.

Shh, don't give them ideas! See, Opals still filled with flaws, we've had the current system for almost a year and a half already, and I've still found ways to beat the system and in this particular loophole, theres no way to close it off without pissing off everyone else (namely reducing the maximum journey time). Go to any ungated train station, light rail stop, OR gated train station with the wide gate open (you'd be surprised how often I see it open). Don't tap off, leave station. Do what you need to go, see all you need to see. Come back a few hours later. Then tap off, change modes, receive your $2 discount and also reset the journey time completely. You can even do it to take a bus one stop from the train station, then walk back, tap back on the train and thats your 5 hours reset.

Obviously this trick means that that trip won't count towards your travel reward but then therefore, once you cross the 8 trips threshold, this doesnt matter anymore, so abuse it all ya want. Perfect timing it actually brought down my weekly bill from $42 -> $30 once

Or simply just gaming it to extend beyond a 1 hour transfer. Theres also a little-known glitch in there, where the current maximum number of trips is 7 in a journey, well, if you change modes, then it actually becomes 12 in total. Don't ask me why but its in there.

I can't actually see them cutting down on the number of transfers allowed in a journey anymore. It would actually be another backflip. Andrew Constance is the imcumbent minister for transport, and he encouraged people to "transfer" (modes) in May/September 2016 the same way Gladys encouraged gaming. He was able to overturn Gladys' key selling point because she was then as treasurer in a position to hide and stay silent, but backflipping now on transfers will just get everyone to accuse him of backflipping on the transfer discount he peddled.

Anyways, transfer discount in its own self is hugely flawed because the point of it was to try and integrate fares. It doesnt really, catch any peak hour train, a bus over 3km (easy to do), or a ferry, wow, and you still pay a good amount for that second leg. It's not really a strong incentive to get up, leave my seat, and in the case of the train and the 1 HOUR transfer, forfeit my off peak train fare. The fact alone that they didnt increase the rebate with the fare increase last year is pretty disturbing in my opinion, because they were very quiet about it and it suggests it'll stay like that for a long time....meaning the value of the discount is just becoming more and more useless over time.

As for the half price travel, its biggest flaw is not reducing the daily cap.

Honestly. And im not even talking about Sunday which is already too low. But lets see, if I make 8 trips, reach my travel reward, and on a Saturday, I just splurge on ferries and buses, and still cough up $15.40 for the day, yet another person who made no trips that week but does the exact same that Saturday reaches their daily cap twice as fast as me, it highlights how broken it really is and how little benefit it actually provides for frequent travellers. THATS why the travel reward is just not a strong incentive.

So there. From a passengers point of view, the two main Opal benefits are ridiculously flawed and still encourage perverse behaviour. But when you have Tory-Tony Braxton-Smith (his sh*t-eating grin on the media every time is so annoying) et al other Lib mob TfNSW Bureaucrats zooming around the network mindlessly on free travel Employee Cqrds, you obviously don't actually know what your fare system is really like.

Millennium > Waratah
Jurassic_Joke

Postby gld59 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:58 am

Jurassic_Joke wrote:Don't tap off, leave station. Do what you need to go, see all you need to see. Come back a few hours later. Then tap off, change modes, receive your $2 discount and also reset the journey time completely. You can even do it to take a bus one stop from the train station, then walk back, tap back on the train and thats your 5 hours reset.

That's not gaming the system (taking advantage of loopholes in the rules). It's breaking the rules, and in this case it's fraud.

gld
gld59

Postby Jurassic_Joke » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:44 pm

You can always pass it off as innocently forgetting to tap off (not fraud). No way to prove otherwise. I've been doing it for a year and half now and haven't been stopped once.

Come up with an actual decent fare system first that doesn't encourage such behaviour. I haven't seen our Premier take back her encouragement to beat the system. :D She should still be held accountable.

Millennium > Waratah
Jurassic_Joke

Postby Fleet Lists » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:02 pm

That statement was made while she was Transport Minister and not Premier and has been retracted by the subsequent minister.

And you have been doing it deliberately so it is fraud.

Basically it is NOT the fault of the fare system as such. If every entry entry/exit had a gate it would be a lot more difficult.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Jurassic_Joke » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:21 pm

Fleet Lists wrote:.

Basically it is NOT the fault of the fare system as such. If every entry entry/exit had a gate it would be a lot more difficult.

Agree and then I’d admit it wouldn’t be worth the trouble! And yes but again let’s say I leave a gateless station and a plain clothes TfNSW Employee is there and stops you, if you say OH yes that’s right thanks for reminding me I am tapped on (valid ticket for entire journey) but forgot to tap off, and there’s no way to prove otherwise and they wouldn’t go through the effort of escalating or accusing otherwise as let’s say they stopped an honest customer that actually forgot to tap off, things would turn pretty nasty. It’s like working in retail - discreetly wanting no drama with customers where possible.

It also takes into account other dumb Sydney Trains policies like leaving open every wide gate when it’s not busy (I’ve seen it at Ashfield when there’s still a staff member so you have no excuse) so there’s that too. Also removing the gates at Redfern not only invites this loophole and FARE EVASION but also just shows the current governments lack of commitment and care towards fare evasion itself, with instead more regard for TfNSW’s paranoia of queues.

Millennium > Waratah
Jurassic_Joke

Postby Fleet Lists » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:08 pm

Not something which has been new with this government. This has been a problem for years long before Opal and this government.

The excuse always is that it would cost too much to totally rectify these things.

And Melbourne seems to have a similar problem. When I travelled on a tram there recently I seemed to be the only one who tapped on and off. I was told by someone later that it is mainly tourists like me who tap on and off.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby jpp42 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:26 pm

Fleet Lists wrote:When I travelled on a tram there recently I seemed to be the only one who tapped on and off. I was told by someone later that it is mainly tourists like me who tap on and off.

You only need to tap off trams in Melbourne if you are travelling zone 1 to zone 2, or completely within zone 2. The system defaults to a zone 1 fare, as that's the vast majority of trips. In fact it is discouraged to unnecessarily tap off as it slows down movement through the doors.

(And of course I'm sure you're also aware that you don't need to tap at all when in the fare free zone in the CBD.)
jpp42

Postby Fleet Lists » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:33 pm

I am well aware of those facts. I was not just talking about tapping off but also tapping on.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Swift » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:47 pm

They need to come up with a zap on for those anti social types who board without tapping on such as one who got on a 397 not long ago. :evil:
American Poor Handling, Floaty Riding Tank of the Week: 1978 AMC Matador Barcelona.
Swift

Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Postby Campbelltown busboy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:17 pm

How do Transport for NSW count the number of people that pay for a bus fare rather then using a opal
Campbelltown busboy

Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M MK4 AD Metroliner

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Sydney / NSW