Opal Discussion and Observations

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
simonl

Re: Introducing OPAL Card

Post by simonl »

jpp42 wrote:Also they get more chance of spreading the message if it's announced in advance. They can then get more media exposure on the day the change takes effect. It's a two for the price of one thing. I'll bet that has a whole lot more to do with it than anything to do with testing. They can test well before any announcements.
Don't know why the government would want to draw attention to this change though. It should have been realised that it should be this way from day one.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Came across this advert on a Chinese messaging app the other day, offering "Opal cards - 20% off":
opal scam.jpg
opal scam.jpg (118.71 KiB) Viewed 7603 times
Seemingly some sort of scam. Once the scammer has the card number and the buyer's money, they could register the card and then report it lost and lock it and get a refund?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I dont think I would touch that with a 10 foot pole.
Living in the Shire.
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

simonl wrote:
jpp42 wrote:Also they get more chance of spreading the message if it's announced in advance. They can then get more media exposure on the day the change takes effect. It's a two for the price of one thing. I'll bet that has a whole lot more to do with it than anything to do with testing. They can test well before any announcements.
Don't know why the government would want to draw attention to this change though. It should have been realised that it should be this way from day one.
Another recent change they've chosen not to draw any attention to is the Passenger Transport Amendment (Ticket Offences) Regulation that came into effect on June 2.

This legislation previously stated that a person must hold a valid ticket, unless the person boarded at a location with no working ticket facilities available. In this case, the person was allowed to purchase a ticket at their destination. The update on June 2 removes this from the legislation and even adds a specific clause to make it clear: "It is not a reasonable excuse for the purposes of subclause (1) that there were no facilities available for the issue or topping-up of a smartcard."

The update says: "These changes clarify requirements to travel with a valid ticket where there are no facilities available for the issue of a valid ticket. You need to carry a valid ticket for travel, even if there were no facilities available to buy or top up your Opal card where you began your trip. Tickets are not always available at all stations. You must have enough funds on your Opal card prior to tapping on to cover your journey. Plan ahead, get your Opal card, top up and tap on before travelling. You cannot pay for your ticket at your destination. You could be fined for travelling without a valid ticket."
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Errrrrmm what? Make it more difficult for someone that doesn't use transport much? I thought this government loved the population that barely uses public transport. The 2016 Opal Fare structure reflects this entirely
simonl

Post by simonl »

The only really stupid part about all this is that the newer ticket machines only sell single trip tickets rather than normal adult Opal cards.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

And $1.3m of airport station savings later

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/opal-card-loo ... wve0f.html
VivalaBuses
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K310UB, Volvo B7RLE

Post by VivalaBuses »

The easiest way to combat this would be to put top machines within the paid area and changing the gates such that it won't open without the correct balance. Surely it is much cheaper to maintain than the $1.3 million that has been lost.
Time for a new signature!
Roderick Smith

Opal loophole and airport ripoff

Post by Roderick Smith »

Roderick

Commuters take advantage of Opal loopholes
AAP Thurs.22.6.17.
COMMUTERS sick of paying too much to travel are using loopholes to evade fares by more than a million dollars—and transport staff are turning a blind eye.
A loophole in the Opal card system allows users to tap off with a negative balance and then throw the card away — without having to pay the full fare of the trip.
The Sydney rail rort could, at least in part, be stopped by closing the barriers at stations but even commuters underpaying by more than $10 are being let through every time.
More than a year after the NSW Government cracked down on Opal card loopholes that allowed people lower cost or even free travel, canny travellers have still found a way to circumnavigate the system.
The loophole is most often abused at Sydney’s airport stations because of the pricey $13.80 gate fees added to rail tickets.
The minimum amount required to tap on during peak is $3.38, which means a trip from Parramatta Station to Domestic Airport, which would normally cost an adult $18.62, could cost just $3.38.
The NSW Audit Office said that last year the number of Opal cards with negative balances increased to 363,000 leaving the government $1.3 million out of pocket. The year before the figure wasn’t even $500,000.
According to a 2016 report from the NSW Audit Office, unregistered Opal cards with negative balances cannot be recovered unless the passenger tops-up the card.
The trick is to use unregistered cards and go into a negative balance.
The report reveals negative balances may not be recovered if customers purchase additional cards and discard the negative balance cards.
Public transport users can tap on so long as they have enough on their cards for the cheapest possible fare — off peak that’s just $2.36. Once they reach their destination they can exit through the gates even if the actual fare was substantially higher.
As Opal cards are free, users can simply throw the card away and start afresh with a new Opal.
NSW Transport Minister Andrew Constance has condemned commuters who abuse the loophole, calling it “fare evasion”.
“People should always travel with enough balance to get where they need to go,” Mr Constance said.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 544275e2f2
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

They need to crack down on people trying to use the I didn't realise that my card balance was that low and then attempt to hand the driver a $20 or $50 note trick so they can get free bus trips would that be classed as a form of fare evasion
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Campbelltown busboy wrote:They need to crack down on people trying to use the I didn't realise thstart ofat my card balance was that low and then attempt to hand the driver a $20 or $50 note trick so they can get free bus trips would that be classed as a form of fare evasion
That would be classed as stealing, yet so many morally corrupt bludgers don't view a scammed bus ride as being like taking a lolly from a kiosk.
One typical example of an air thief like this was a passenger who got on my bus one morning at the start of my shift and presented a 20 without an any apologetic language or explanation, I got annoyed and he says I'm your customer. I said not until you get a ticket from me and you aren't getting one with that. He then tells me to get a life before sitting down.
Now you can see why bus drivers don't have much respect for the public and therefore they don't get any!!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Liamena

Post by Liamena »

Where do atm's dispense money smaller than a $20 ?
Swift

Post by Swift »

He had 12 hours to get some small change or a travelten!!
We're not a bank!! :!:
Last edited by Swift on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Where do you get traveltens these days?????
Living in the Shire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I was talking about those days. I do believe outlets for Opel DO give change when you bother to top it up!! :!: :evil: :evil:
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Campbelltown busboy wrote:They need to crack down on people trying to use the I didn't realise that my card balance was that low and then attempt to hand the driver a $20 or $50 note trick so they can get free bus trips would that be classed as a form of fare evasion
A few years ago there was a mob of teenagers catching a bus from Central out to Moore Park for a music "concert". They were mostly independents, but nearly everyone of them offered $10 or 20 notes for the fare. Still a lot of cash fares then, and the driver somehow managed to dig up change for them. A lot of them ended up with a lot of coins.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

boronia wrote:
Campbelltown busboy wrote:They need to crack down on people trying to use the I didn't realise that my card balance was that low and then attempt to hand the driver a $20 or $50 note trick so they can get free bus trips would that be classed as a form of fare evasion
A few years ago there was a mob of teenagers catching a bus from Central out to Moore Park for a music "concert". They were mostly independents, but nearly everyone of them offered $10 or 20 notes for the fare. Still a lot of cash fares then, and the driver somehow managed to dig up change for them. A lot of them ended up with a lot of coins.
There used to be these American students (hated them) that would get on my 290 and all offer notes and when I gave gold coins in change to one girl she looked down at her hand and gave me the death stare. I just looked away and smiled to annoy her even more. Teaching lessons to idiots. One of the perks of bus driving.
Geo101

Post by Geo101 »

Liamena wrote:Where do atm's dispense money smaller than a $20 ?
So why can't the driver take the $20 (or $10/50) note, give the loyal customer a single ticket, and also a credit note which is only able to be credited to a registered Opal card via some horrendously bureaucratic process with a $5 dollar service charge.

Or better still, give them an Opal card with that value, and a no change given policy. With an additional fee for the manual handling, refundable only if the card is registered within 24 hours.

Might make these clowns think twice.
simonl

Post by simonl »

Soon enough it will be no cash accepted on buses, I am sure. Paypass or Opal only. Just sniffing the breeze - no announcement has been made.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I thought it had already happened. At least the writing is well and truly in the wall.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Single Opal cash tickets are still on sale and nothing has been announced that they will be withdrawn.
The very fact that such tickets were only recently introduced, makes me think that it will be some time before they do away with them.

Things may change once they introduce Paypass.
Living in the Shire.
simonl

Post by simonl »

Fleet Lists wrote:Single Opal cash tickets are still on sale and nothing has been announced that they will be withdrawn.
The very fact that such tickets were only recently introduced, makes me think that it will be some time before they do away with them.

Things may change once they introduce Paypass.
I agree with you wrt to rail single tickets however, I don't expect any such system for buses.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Single Opal Bus tickets are available
Attachments
Screenshot 2017-06-24 14.18.56.jpg
Screenshot 2017-06-24 14.18.56.jpg (44.12 KiB) Viewed 6881 times
Living in the Shire.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Fleet Lists wrote:Single Opal Bus tickets are available
Yes, except no need to tap on or off :) Just a piece of plastic coated paper :)
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

swtt wrote:
Fleet Lists wrote:Single Opal Bus tickets are available
Yes, except no need to tap on or off :) Just a piece of plastic coated paper :)
Am I missing something or is that not much different to the MyBus single paper tickets that were axed? :/

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”