Sydney Metro - Tallawong to Bankstown

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Tonymercury

Re: NSW Future Rail Plan - NWRL/Metro/Harbour Crossing

Post by Tonymercury »

I've just noted on youtube that Kobenhavn has under the end windows a sticker that may be a diagram of the emergency controls, which many children seem to use as a pretend driving position! Alstom take note!
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

tonyp wrote:
Transtopic wrote: That says it all. Doesn't passenger amenity matter any more? Treat everyone like cattle seems to be the contemporary norm.
Every time I read something like this about the double-deck vs single-deck debate in Sydney, my mind always switches to visions of the south coast service in Sydney and the Perth train system and it can't be fooled about which one works and which one doesn't.
You've misunderstood my remarks although I may not have been explicit enough. I was actually referring to the UK Telegraph article and specifically the comfort of the seats. Nothing to do with DD v SD.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Courtesy of upwards on the SSC forums:
Chatswood Dive Site update

The first stage of piling to create the tunnel dive has begun at the eastern
end of the site and will continue in March, with excavation of the dive area starting in late April.

Today :)

Also, Martin Place Over Station Development has received Stage 1 approval:
http://www.majorprojects.planning.nsw.g ... ob_id=8351
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

http://www.lukefoley.com.au/labor_annou ... ern_sydney

If labor wins government, they apparently plan to scrap the Sydenham to Bankstown metro. I assume that they will still continue with the line to Sydenham, they really need the second line through the city.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

So they're going to cancel contracts at great expense, then scrap the portion of the line that actually frees capacity on the existing network.

Absolute fools.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Is the opposition only going to have the metro go as far as Sydenham ? What is their alternate idea for rail capacity upgrade between when they get elected and the opening of Sydney Metro West ?
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Frosty wrote:Is the opposition only going to have the metro go as far as Sydenham ? What is their alternate idea for rail capacity upgrade between when they get elected and the opening of Sydney Metro West ?
And they would most likely try some how to convert the Sydney metro west tunnel to fit double deck trains that's something that labor would do
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

I like Labor's plan - cancel conversion of the Bankstown Line to Metro - terminate Metro at Sydenham, permanently rather than temporarily - apply the financial and contractural resourses currently intended for the Bankstown Line Metro conversion to Metro West.

Yes, Bankstown Line passengers would have to change at Sydenham, permanently, but many of them do so already because, like me, they can't stand the dawdle of the all-stops Bankstown trains between Sydenham and Redfern. And yes, there'd be a not-insoluble capacity problem between Sydenham and the CBD until Metro opens.

But there are peripheral benefits - Town Hall's platform congestion would benefit if cross-harbour passengers changed at Sydenham rather than Town Hall, and we still un-clog the City Circle by getting rid of the "Bankstowns".

(And while we're busy re-negotiating contracts, build 4 Metro platforms at Central instead of 2, to enable cross-platform interchange between Metro lines 1 & 2 - it's Sydney's last chance to properly integrate its Metro lines and save thousands of hours of travel times.)
(323594)
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

https://transportnsw.info/news/2018/sta ... ro-upgrade
Station Link bus services to connect customers during Metro upgrade
Saturday 07 April 2018

From 30 September 2018 a new Station Link bus service between Epping and Chatswood will be introduced.

This will provide over 110 services an hour between Epping and Chatswood during the busiest parts of the day providing alternative services while the rail line is upgraded for the Sydney Metro system. This will be the final stage of construction before the Sydney Metro Northwest opens in the first half of 2019.

The upgrade will take around seven months and be supported by the new high frequency pink bus fleet that will run more than 1,000 services on weekdays.

The new Station Link service will run on a turn-up-and-go basis ensuring frequent and reliable transport options between Epping and Chatswood stations.

A dedicated Station Link service will run direct to Macquarie University campus from Epping Station during semesters, on top of the many other services that will stop at Macquarie University Station.

The Epping to Chatswood upgrades include major work, testing of new signalling and commun ications systems, and electrical, fire and life safety systems. The existing tracks and overhead wiring will remain and will be used by the new metro system, which uses the same standard gauge railway as the rest of Sydney’s train network.

For more information on these new services, visit mysydney.nsw.gov.au/StationLink
Attachments
StationLink.jpg
StationLink.jpg (135.48 KiB) Viewed 5256 times
Living in the Shire.
simonl

Post by simonl »

mandonov wrote:So they're going to cancel contracts at great expense, then scrap the portion of the line that actually frees capacity on the existing network.

Absolute fools.
Have contracts actually been let? Or are they expected to be let before the 2019 election?

Haven't been following it too closely.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

J_Busworth wrote:http://www.lukefoley.com.au/labor_annou ... ern_sydney

If labor wins government, they apparently plan to scrap the Sydenham to Bankstown metro. I assume that they will still continue with the line to Sydenham, they really need the second line through the city.
According to 7 News' report on this, they mentioned that the Bankstown Line conversion will cost $900 million. Has this ever been stated before? The $900 million conversion cost is news to me.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
hornetfig

Post by hornetfig »

yep they're gunning for a pre-election opening.
grog

Post by grog »

There was some speculation by the government earlier that the line could operate as a shuttle for a period before the shutdown. I see no mention of that so I assume that is off. I’m guessing this means a new T1 timetable on September 30.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

And possibly other routes as well.
Living in the Shire.
simonl

Post by simonl »

hornetfig wrote:yep they're gunning for a pre-election opening.
7 months is the suggested time it will be closed for, which will take them past the election. I think that's a shame. They deserve to be judged at the ballot box for the longer term effects, not the short term ones.
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

The FAQ document details some of the train timetable changes as a result
http://www.mysydney.nsw.gov.au/sites/de ... 06_FAQ.pdf

Former ECRL services (Upper Northern Line) will run Limited Stops via Strathfield to Central(i) to terminate during the peak. Normanhurst to Cheltenham will lose all direct peak services to the City Circle. Off-peak services will continue through to North Sydney and beyond.

Additional services on the North Shore Line from stations "north of Chatswood". I would imagine this means Gordon/Lindfield starters to take the slots of trains currently coming into Chatswood via the ECRL.
simonl

Post by simonl »

andy_centralcoast wrote:Former ECRL services (Upper Northern Line) will run Limited Stops via Strathfield to Central(i) to terminate during the peak. Normanhurst to Cheltenham will lose all direct peak services to the City Circle. Off-peak services will continue through to North Sydney and beyond.
Wow. Sense has actually won out. There was every indication they would not do this but instead reduce the Western Line services into Town Hall.

Suck it up Northies! You voted for it.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

So what's the "new" fleet of buses? All Volvo B8RLE Bustech VST?
simonl wrote:
Fair, but I think a handful of months of a bit of pain will be worth the final product that will come out (hopefully on time) next year. The Libs are actually giving us a new transport project here.

What happened when Labor was last in and tried to build a metro? CBD-Rozelle? It fell apart and a dedicated website even recaps:

http://kristinakeneally.com
"After Labor spent $412 million on the Sydney Metro, in February 2010 Premier Keneally dumped the project. The Auditor-General was scathing of Labor’s waste:

I recommend the New South Wales Government identify lessons learnt from the Sydney Metro experience and ensure future decision processes are developed to ensure the State never again expends such a large amount of scarce transport funding dollars and valuable time on a project that does not proceed."
I for one am looking forward to this new thing opening. About time we got it.
Last edited by Jurassic_Joke on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Living in the Shire.
grog

Post by grog »

The FAQ linked a few posts above actually says approx. 6-7 months, so you can bet they will be gunning for 5 to get it open at the end of Feb, right before the election.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

grog wrote:The FAQ linked a few posts above actually says approx. 6-7 months, so you can bet they will be gunning for 5 to get it open at the end of Feb, right before the election.
Given the current farce and soap opera going on between Constance and ALTRAC with the CSELR project, I'd hope so. Can't afford to have another project delayed beyond Election Day.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:So what's the "new" fleet of buses? All Volvo B8RLE Bustech VST?
I suspect that would be Transdev's choice but not necessarily that of Hillbus.

And while the bus shown in the publicity is a Bustech VST, it is an existing Transdev bus based at Bankstown which may not be be one destined for SLink. I cant see it sitting around doing nothing for 6 months. So even Transdev may be using a different type of bus.
Living in the Shire.
simonl

Post by simonl »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:
simonl wrote:
Fair, but I think a handful of months of a bit of pain will be worth the final product that will come out
Actually, the logic of this decision will remain unchanged even with the opening of the second harbour crossing.
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

simonl wrote:
andy_centralcoast wrote:Former ECRL services (Upper Northern Line) will run Limited Stops via Strathfield to Central(i) to terminate during the peak. Normanhurst to Cheltenham will lose all direct peak services to the City Circle. Off-peak services will continue through to North Sydney and beyond.
Wow. Sense has actually won out. There was every indication they would not do this but instead reduce the Western Line services into Town Hall.

There's currently two trains from Epping to Central(i) in the morning peak, so they might use those paths. They start empty from Hornsby and dwell for a few minutes at Thornleigh platform 1 to let CCN trains pass.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”