[Western Advocate] Bathurst to Sydney rail service

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Re: [Western Advocate] Bathurst to Sydney rail service

Post by BroadGauge »

gilberations wrote:Wow another person too afraid to leave their computer and take a look. I have done that today, and let me tell you, at 230 the train was full
Because an hourly 4-car train passing through Springwood carrying passengers for all stations through to Lithgow was full, it means there's demand to sextuplicate the amount of capacity provided there?
gilberations

Post by gilberations »

why are you all so afraid of planing for the future. Built it and they will come!
mackinenator
Favourite Vehicle: CB60's & VST's

Post by mackinenator »

gilberations wrote:Wow another person too afraid to leave their computer and take a look. I have done that today, and let me tell you, at 230 the train was full
Whereabouts was this train at 230? I believe it, but I just want to check.
BroadGauge wrote: Because an hourly 4-car train passing through Springwood carrying passengers for all stations through to Lithgow was full, it means there's demand to sextuplicate the amount of capacity provided there?
It would be good if the trains could have more more cars added though.
gilberations wrote:why are you all so afraid of planing for the future. Built it and they will come!
Doubtful, unless Lithgow's going to have a massive population increase. The Blue Mountains hasn't got that much more space left.
We'll see what services will be running once the new TT has been made up.
Wandering, Always wandering...
The opinions expressed by the user should not be taken seriously. Except that NSW Public Transport is a mess!
BroadGauge

Post by BroadGauge »

gilberations wrote:why are you all so afraid of planing for the future.
Where are all these extra passengers going to come from? About the only market for extra passengers on West InterCity trains is convincing people to switch from driving cars.

Not like there's a lot of land to build more houses on in the Blue Mountains nor is there anybody wanting high density development (rightfully given the nature of the area).
gilberations wrote:Built it and they will come!
Plenty of people have said that when starting businesses and ended up going broke.
Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Mr Twig wrote:Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but I couldn't find any info. Will this service be stopping at stations between Lithgow and Bathurst (ie Rydal, Wallerawang? etc)
To answer my own question, Initially no, but it's looks like it may in the near future.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

With the network wide timetable changes expected in October, the first Bathurst Service will depart from Lithgow at 5:19am and arrive at Bathurst at 6:22am on the 21st October 2012. It will subsequently form the Bathurst 7:28am service, stopping at: Lithgow, Mt Victoria, Katoomba, Springwood(d), Penrith(d), Parramatta(d) and then Central (11:06i)

http://www.cityrail.info/timetables/tim ... ndingPoint
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

boxythingy wrote:With the network wide timetable changes expected in October, the first Bathurst Service will depart from Lithgow at 5:19am and arrive at Bathurst at 6:22am on the 21st October 2012. It will subsequently form the Bathurst 7:28am service, stopping at: Lithgow, Mt Victoria, Katoomba, Springwood(d), Penrith(d), Parramatta(d) and then Central (11:06i)

http://www.cityrail.info/timetables/tim ... ndingPoint
optional stop at Bell???!!!!!! :evil:
CityRail

Post by CityRail »

It is clear that the late night Bathurst - Lithgow is too late to operate.

If the train arrives Bathurst at 9.38pm why it needs an hour wait before it goes back to Lithgow and there's no train service connecting to anywhere until the next morning?

I recoknd if the Bathurst late night service can leave at 9.50pm arrive Lithgow at 10.54pm then the current 10.36pm Lithgow to Central (i) can simply depart 20 mins later (i.e. 10.56pm) and people in Bathurst can have another train service to the City.
simonl

Post by simonl »

Sorry to see (d) stops making an unwelcome return. That archaic practice had been phased out.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Will they have a line up of cops on the platforms to stop people from boarding ? :evil:
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Newcastle Flyer

More restrictions are better for long distances.

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

simonl wrote:Sorry to see (d) stops making an unwelcome return. That archaic practice had been phased out.
Unwelcome return?? Lithgow - Springwood & Springwood to Sydney Central & v.v. have a train just after (or before). It's not really meant for a Lithgow - Central service.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
boxythingy

Post by boxythingy »

Last edited by boxythingy on Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willoughby 'ductor

Post by willoughby 'ductor »

As at 2 pm the Blue Mountains timetable from 21 October has been adjusted on 131500 but the Western suburban line changes are not shown (eg stops removed from 0708 weekday Springwood - Central, new service from Penrith at 0742).
BroadGauge

Post by BroadGauge »

For the insane rail enthusiasts, you can even do a round trip from Sydney to Bathurst using the new service in a sort-of-day using these times:

Dep Central (i) 12:18am - Lithgow 3:09am
Dep Lithgow 3:37am - Bathurst 4:40am

Dep Bathurst 5:48am - Central (i) 9:25am
boronia

Post by boronia »

boxythingy wrote:With the network wide timetable changes expected in October, the first Bathurst Service will depart from Lithgow at 5:19am and arrive at Bathurst at 6:22am on the 21st October 2012. It will subsequently form the Bathurst 7:28am service, stopping at: Lithgow, Mt Victoria, Katoomba, Springwood(d), Penrith(d), Parramatta(d) and then Central (11:06i)
Broadgauge wrote:For the insane rail enthusiasts, you can even do a round trip from Sydney to Bathurst using the new service in a sort-of-day using these times:

Dep Central (i) 12:18am - Lithgow 3:09am
Dep Lithgow 3:37am - Bathurst 4:40am

Dep Bathurst 5:48am - Central (i) 9:25am
So which is the correct timetable ?? Or are there TWO services from Bathurst ??

And can a return trip be made with the PM departure from Sydney :idea: ?
@ The Museum of Fire.
745-Castle Hill
Favourite Vehicle: CDC CB30

Post by 745-Castle Hill »

Boxythingy is describing the Sunday (Weekend) timetable while Broadgauge is describing the Weekday timetable.
crimsontide

Post by crimsontide »

simonl wrote:Sorry to see (d) stops making an unwelcome return. That archaic practice had been phased out.
Going by that logic we would have Countrylink services picking up at stations on their trips back to Sydney.
simonl

Post by simonl »

crimsontide wrote:
Going by that logic we would have Countrylink services picking up at stations on their trips back to Sydney.
That would make sense, but a booked seat service of a different standard with different fares presents a few obstacles to overcome.
boxythingy

Post by boxythingy »

745-Castle Hill wrote:Boxythingy is describing the Sunday (Weekend) timetable while Broadgauge is describing the Weekday timetable.
Yes, the first service on the 21st October happens to be a Sunday.
boronia

Post by boronia »

crimsontide wrote:
Why not sell vacant seats, at a small premium to CityRail fares.

Release them say 6 hrs prior to departure, cash fares only (no prepaid tickets).
@ The Museum of Fire.
crimsontide

Post by crimsontide »

We have regular commuter services to pick up people traveling to Sydney, there is no need for Countrylink services to pick up.
simonl

Post by simonl »

crimsontide wrote:We have regular commuter services to pick up people traveling to Sydney, there is no need for Countrylink services to pick up.
You crack me up.
crimsontide

Post by crimsontide »

simonl wrote:
crimsontide wrote:We have regular commuter services to pick up people traveling to Sydney, there is no need for Countrylink services to pick up.
You crack me up.
Suggesting Countrylink services lose there set down only stops had the same effect on me. :roll:
simonl

Post by simonl »

crimsontide wrote:Suggesting Countrylink services lose there set down only stops had the same effect on me. :roll:
But I didn't say that.
crimsontide

Post by crimsontide »

So what happens to the (d) stops for Countrylink, are they are archaic practice?

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”