Private Operator Observations - March 2012

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Re: Private Operator Observations - March 2012

Post by Daniel »

Defective buses are often as a result of a mechanical issue, which is obviously under the body work and not readily visible......
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Naturally, but it looked like it had been running recently-it wasn't flat on the ground because all the air had leaked out of the suspension like you would expect from something that hasn't been operated in some time, likewise the engine hatches were all tightly closed.
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

I would suggest that the bus may have been heading to Buslines at Lismore for work, given that from what I can make out from google earth and the fleetlists, the buslines depot at Ballina - which is basically a large shed and there are 33 buses allocated there, there would probably not be much room for anything beyond basic maintenance and given Lismore to Ballina is 40 or so minutes and they have the large former Kirklands depot at Lismore at their disposal (that operation is a shadow of its former self) it would probably make alot of sense to rotate buses thru Lismore, there may have been some type of issue that made this vehicle unsafe to drive under its own power, so the low loader was dispatched for this to occur (given the size of buslines and their geographic coverage, I wonder if they have their own vehicle for this?)
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I would probably agree with that-Often there'll be a "Ballina Bus" go to Lismore for work, I would guess it's either on it's way to the Lismore depot or on it's way to mechanical workshop in the area. I've never seen one on a trailer ever before though, normally buses are transferred between the two locations under their own power.

You wouldn't even fit all 33 in Ballina's shed-as it is there's a few buses that are kept at the sheds at Alstonville, Evans Heads and Byron Bay that are attached to Ballina Buslines. They even keep a few Ballina buses parked at Lismore overnight. Suffice to say the split between the two organisations isn't exactly what you'd call thorough or particularly noticed by anybody-both organisations are still referred to by locals as "Kirklands"
DarrenH

Post by DarrenH »

There is an ex BT Austral Volvo B10m artic at Port Stephens with rego m/o 9432. The bus is not in BT livery and has been painted white. 8)
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

DarrenH wrote:There is an ex BT Austral Volvo B10m artic at Port Stephens with rego m/o 9432. The bus is not in BT livery and has been painted white. 8)
m/o 9432 is ex BT 379 and m/o 9433 is ex BT 375. They are intended to replace the O305Gs.
missy1

Post by missy1 »

I'd like to ask what could be a stupid question.
I know ads help pay the registration etc but why repaint all these buses in the NSW colours and then cover them up with ads.
To me it is a waste of money to start with but now even more so.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Talking about buses on low-loaders, saw Sid Foggs TV 3366 Alan B Denning Galaxy Volvo B12 heading east through Meadlow Bath in the Blue Mountains this morning on the back of a low loader.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

missy1 wrote:I'd like to ask what could be a stupid question.
I know ads help pay the registration etc but why repaint all these buses in the NSW colours and then cover them up with ads.
To me it is a waste of money to start with but now even more so.
The buses repainted only get done if it's a refurbishment paid for by TfNSW or as a result of a repair that would otherwise see the bus get repainted
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I caught a 607X from Central up to Rouse Hill around mid-day today. Left the city with all of 4 pax and picked up one more near the end of the M2. A bit of overkill for a 14.5m bus, but I guess it gets busier at other times.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Daz
Favourite Vehicle: 4964F Heritage

Post by Daz »

Abatross- what would make a bus appear defective to you?

They try to fill air to raise bags and release brakes to float it- if not imagine the carnage on the front and rear bumpers and dragging rear axle would require a day in the shed itself.

Daz
Did you hear the scarecrow got an award? He was out standing in his field.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Like I said, droopy look from no air in the suspension, open engine hatches etc. It never occurred to me that they would try and inflate the airbags and release the brakes, or that it is even possible to do so, having said that now that I think about it it doesn't surprise me that they would for the reasons you mention.

Suffice to say I'm not as aware of the standard operating procedures of a bus or coach depot as you are Daz. The main thrust of my post was that the bus was defective and on a float, the additional information was merely commentary from me, not an attempt at trying to be a diesel mechanic.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”