Rail Observations March/April 2012

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
blind bus spotter
Favourite Vehicle: 0305 MK2

Re: Rail Observations March/April 2012

Post by blind bus spotter »

it was Chaos on platform 18 and 10 this afternoon. I wanted to head to Looishum for tafe but that didnt happen. they were sending all strains via Sydenham. western line trains whent via Bankstown and via the line from Berrella to Aubun didnt even know if the link was still used. and then the train I got home was going to be the 1526 fast service Via Easthills to macarthur but instead it stopped all stations including Tempe
The station staff did a good job informing the cattle what was going on and appparently the problem was solved sometime after 430 pm.
Canberra where the man18.320s roam
CityRail

Post by CityRail »

As at about 5.30pm, Town Hall station was so crowded that passengers waiting for trains on platforms 1 & 2 have to pile up all the way back to the STATION CONCOUSE!!!
Stu

Post by Stu »

Yesterday afternoon I saw a silver set depart Holsorthy with no R or S plate on the rear carriage. If I knew that already then I wouldh've been able to record the carriage number.

For an unknown reason an all stations service to Revesby terminated at Kingsgrove station at around 18:20, the platfrom was absolutely crammed full of passengers as the whole train unloaded everyone, the next all stations service wasn't far away but it was so full. Thankfully the vast majority of passengers travelled a short distance and got off at Narwee and Riverwood and then all of a sudden the train was almost empty.
blind bus spotter
Favourite Vehicle: 0305 MK2

Post by blind bus spotter »

The reaosn for the terminating serivd at Kinggrove would allow it to use the cros over s and send it back to the city. this is done during Easthills to Kingsgrove Close downs.
Canberra where the man18.320s roam
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Telegraph reporting major delays on the Easter/Illawarra lines tonight after track failure at Martin Place.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/s ... 6301984792

This is an amazing photo of Redfern station, esp the undergound platform that these services use.

Can anyone identify the location??
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

boronia wrote:Telegraph reporting major delays on the Easter/Illawarra lines tonight after track failure at Martin Place.

This is an amazing photo of Redfern station, esp the undergound platform that these services use.

Platform 10, with the supposed 13/14 on the other side of the wall
CityRail

Post by CityRail »

Trackwork this weekend means the Express Lines between Redfern and Strathfield is closed and all South, Northern, Western, Blue Mountains and Newcastle Lines need to operate via the Inner West Line.
Rclasstramcar
Favourite Vehicle: 1955 Morris Minor-1961 Hillman

Post by Rclasstramcar »

blind bus spotter wrote:It was chaos on platform 18 and 10 this afternoon. I wanted to head to Lewisham for TAFE but that didn't happen. They were sending all strains via Sydenham. Western line trains went via Bankstown and via the line from Berala to Auburn. I didn't even know if the link was still used. And then the train I got home was going to be the 1526 fast service Via East Hills to Macarthur but instead it stopped all stations including Tempe. The station staff did a good job informing the cattle what was going on and apparently the problem was solved sometime after 4:30pm.
Train failure at Ashfield.

Cheers,
Ben
Return Sydney's trams
Vote Morrison and his Government out this election.
JAN 26-INVASION DAY
CityRail

Post by CityRail »

More New LCD Indicators has been installed at Town Hall Station over the weekend.
I am posting the one near QVB entrance, and the other new one is near the Customer Service Centre.
Note there's no line information provided next to the screen, perhaps passengers will feel a little bit confused on which screen they should be looking at.

And apprently as the font is getting smaller passengers may need to open their eyes to read when they are catching the train home tomorrow night.
swtt

Post by swtt »

You mention QVB entrance -- is on the eastern side (Woolworths) of the station where they recently tore down a huge ad, or the western side (where the town hall actually is)?

These large widescreens are long overdue. Well done to CityRail.

I'm sure the stickers will be applied ASAP. The old screens + the wooden board covering over the old stickers were quite tired.
RickyT
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K280UB

Post by RickyT »

Caught the 17:31 Epping to Wyong (via Central and Gordon) from North Sydney today which was operated by a T set (T73 + T86). Must be an uncomfortable journey for those going all the way to Wyong

Is there a temporary shortage of H sets at HBY which necessitate the use of a T set on a Central Coast (via the North Shore Line) service?
leopard1543
Favourite Vehicle: Sydney/Newcastle Govt. buses

Post by leopard1543 »

Noted at Penrith Station Monday 19/3 (last night now) that runs 293L & 293M (Springwood service) were both operated by a Tangara (T47) instead of the usual Oscar.
Bring back the Leopards!
CityRail

Post by CityRail »

swtt wrote:You mention QVB entrance -- is on the eastern side (Woolworths) of the station where they recently tore down a huge ad, or the western side (where the town hall actually is)?

These large widescreens are long overdue. Well done to CityRail.

I'm sure the stickers will be applied ASAP. The old screens + the wooden board covering over the old stickers were quite tired.
Actually is both. The one on the West Side has been upgraded and so as the one near Woolies.
The one near Wollies today receives Line Sticker finally.

PS: I saw a fat rat running on the tracks near Platform 5 at Town Hall today :shock:

Further, Lidcombe Station Olympic Park platform received new LCD Indicator, showing next departures on other platforms.

Looking at this trend, expect further changes at Strathfield Station :!:
CityRail

Post by CityRail »

On another topic, can anyone tell me when will Customer Charter for CityRail be released for 2012?
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

CityRail wrote:
PS: I saw a fat rat running on the tracks near Platform 5 at Town Hall today :shock:

from Premier's department, Transport Ministry, TfNSW or RailCorp?
swtt

Post by swtt »

RickyT wrote:Caught the 17:31 Epping to Wyong (via Central and Gordon) from North Sydney today which was operated by a T set (T73 + T86). Must be an uncomfortable journey for those going all the way to Wyong

Is there a temporary shortage of H sets at HBY which necessitate the use of a T set on a Central Coast (via the North Shore Line) service?

There is some Premier's Gala concert happening, which apparently stole a 8H away for an additional early PM peak train to Newcastle.
swtt

Post by swtt »

CityRail wrote:
Further, Lidcombe Station Olympic Park platform received new LCD Indicator, showing next departures on other platforms.

Looking at this trend, expect further changes at Strathfield Station :!:
The indicators at Strathfield should've gone long ago.

I wonder if the Town Hall (cinema end) indicators have been replaced yet. Must have a look today.
RickyT
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K280UB

Post by RickyT »

swtt wrote:There is some Premier's Gala concert happening, which apparently stole a 8H away for an additional early PM peak train to Newcastle.
Thanks swtt. I am sure our senior citizens would appreciate the comfort of a H set.

On a Gala concert related sighting today, I caught the 08:13 Wyong to Hornsby (via the North Shore Line and Strathfield) from St Leonards today which was operated by a Sector 1 T set (T49 + T104).

Allow me to ask another question, I thought RailCorp has a surplus of H sets at the moment which should allow them to run the extra Central Coast (and South Coast I assume) service without taking sets away from regular services?
swtt

Post by swtt »

RickyT wrote:Allow me to ask another question, I thought RailCorp has a surplus of H sets at the moment which should allow them to run the extra Central Coast (and South Coast I assume) service without taking sets away from regular services?
Four extra sets were scheduled on all day V set rosters between Sydney & Wyong just recently. There are apparently no more 6 car V sets -- all are now either 4 or 8 cars.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I noticed an L set on OP shuttles the other day (L12 or L13), also has an unnumbered R plate on one end.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
wes
Favourite Vehicle: Alfa Romeo GTV

Post by wes »

observed on Illawarra line loco 4464 to memory with 4 silver carriages in tow going very slow south bound around 7.40 yesterday morning. darkes road rail crossing before dapto station..
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

CityRail wrote:More New LCD Indicators has been installed at Town Hall Station over the weekend.
I am posting the one near QVB entrance, and the other new one is near the Customer Service Centre.
Note there's no line information provided next to the screen, perhaps passengers will feel a little bit confused on which screen they should be looking at.
The line information stickers were on there when I went past today, however the clock above the screens was still not on.

On the topic of Town Hall station, I wonder why they include platform 6 on the "Next train to Central" screens- I'd rather not take 5 stops to get to Central when it is done in 1. Rarely (if ever) will that work out quicker than waiting for a train from platform 1, 2 or 4.
Cowra
Favourite Vehicle: Old ones.

Post by Cowra »

wes wrote:observed on Illawarra line loco 4464 to memory with 4 silver carriages in tow going very slow south bound around 7.40 yesterday morning. darkes road rail crossing before dapto station..
4464 from 3801 Limited, and the 3 AK track recording cars. Doing their 6 (?) monthly track recording runs.
Ringer of bus bells and tram gongs.
fm2790.

Post by fm2790. »

boronia wrote:Telegraph reporting major delays on the Easter/Illawarra lines tonight after track failure at Martin Place.

That photo, no matter what the paper says, to me is definately not Redfern. It is to bushy to be anywhere in and around Redfern.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”