NSW Ferry Discussion until December 2017.

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Dave C
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202

NSW Goverment/Private Ferry Discussion

Post by Dave C »

Sydney Ferries are now suspended, most probably due to the rally today in the City.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Re: NSW Goverment/Private Ferry Discussion

Post by pgt »

For those who use the ferries often (I don't at this point in time, but have used it for work a couple of times):

Is it normal (if at all) to have a Rivercat operating a Neutral Bay ferry?
Had one [Nicole Stevenson] operating it today (ex Circular Quay 1125 - was at least 5 mins late leaving) whereas the last few times I've caught a ferry up that way it's been a Lady class ferry.

--Phil.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
drpurpleturtle

Post by drpurpleturtle »

pgt wrote:For those who use the ferries often (I don't at this point in time, but have used it for work a couple of times):

Is it normal (if at all) to have a Rivercat operating a Neutral Bay ferry?
Had one [Nicole Stevenson] operating it today (ex Circular Quay 1125 - was at least 5 mins late leaving) whereas the last few times I've caught a ferry up that way it's been a Lady class ferry.

--Phil.
Not usually, a Rivercat might operate if it's the only vessel available for service :P e.g.if other vessels are out for repairs or are having mechanical problems. The Neutral Bay ferry is usually operated by a First Fleeter, Lady Vessel or sometimes a Supercat, if they have other duties to do or are out of service due to mechanical problems then another vessel will come to fill in the the service (Rivercats or Fantasea charter vessels). As a frequent user of the Mosman Bay ferry i know that the 11:20am Circular Quay service is operated by either a Supercat or Harbour cat, 12:20pm is operated by either the Fantasea Spirit or Crystal, 5:03pm is operated by a Supercat and the 7:06pm is operated by a Fantasea vessel, with all other services being operated by a First Fleeter or Lady Vessel.
drpurpleturtle

Post by drpurpleturtle »

Well Sealink, John Holland & Manly Fast Ferry have been cut from the tender so it's now between: Serco, Harbour City Ferries (Transfield & Veolia), Transit Systems and Forgacs Engineering. I'm placing my bets on Harbour City Ferries as Veolia Transdev operate Brisbane City Councils Ferry Network 8). Who do you think will get the tender?
Ribble
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance /Leyland Olympian

Post by Ribble »

I was last in Sydney in January 2007, and will be back in January 2012 for 7 days.

I have photographed each vessel in the Sydney Ferries Fleet (as I have done with STA Buses).

Since January 2007, have any new Ferries been added to the Sydney Fleet....????

I have the fleet comprising ......

x2 Harbour Cats
x4 Super Cats
x4 Freshwater Class
x3 Jet Class
x2 Lady Class
x9 First Fleet Class
x7 River Class

plus

Silver Spirit ..... she may have now ended her charter period.??

and Shortland & Hunter in Newcastle.

Don

In NZ
drpurpleturtle

Post by drpurpleturtle »

Ribble wrote:I was last in Sydney in January 2007, and will be back in January 2012 for 7 days.

I have photographed each vessel in the Sydney Ferries Fleet (as I have done with STA Buses).

Since January 2007, have any new Ferries been added to the Sydney Fleet....????

I have the fleet comprising ......

x2 Harbour Cats
x4 Super Cats
x4 Freshwater Class
x3 Jet Class
x2 Lady Class
x9 First Fleet Class
x7 River Class

plus

Silver Spirit ..... she may have now ended her charter period.??

and Shortland & Hunter in Newcastle.

Don

In NZ
Just some info Ribble, after the scrapping of manly jet (in 2008) :evil: the service has been replaced by two private operators Manly Fast Ferry (which operate MV Sun Cat & MV Ocean Dreaming II) and Sydney Fast Ferries (which operate MV Maggie Cat & MV Palm Cat). Also MV Silver Spirit finished its charter in late 2007. The two charter vessels which have been contracted to operate harbour and parramatta river services are MV Fantasea Crystal & MV Fantasea Spirit which have been operating 2010-present!!! :wink:
Ribble
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance /Leyland Olympian

Post by Ribble »

Many thanks. Clealry changes have occurred....

Thanks.

Don
drpurpleturtle

Post by drpurpleturtle »

Sydney Ferries services will be suspended tomorrow (22nd November) from 10am-2pm in order for employees to negotiate any issues with the MUA in relation to the franchising of the service :evil:. More info - http://www.131500.com.au/service-change ... 2-november
drpurpleturtle

Post by drpurpleturtle »

An update from Tuesdays stop work meeting by Sydney Ferries Staff & the MUA all issues have been resolved. - http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/ferry-staff-s ... 1nsge.html
drpurpleturtle

Post by drpurpleturtle »

Also featured in todays SMH, both private Manly Jet Cat Operators, Sydney Fast Ferries & Manly Fast Ferry will be operating new harbour routes from early next year, one service is Manly to Darling Harbour via Milsons Point. - http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/private-ferri ... 1nz7x.html
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

From Bernard Boland's lovely little 1970's shanty "Rose Bay Ferry"
Where are we going today Mr Nicholson
Where is it going to be?
Don't turn left turn right down the harbour
and out to the open sea ...
:
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
kypros1992

Post by kypros1992 »

Sydney Ferries have AGAIN called a stop work meeting this afternoon
http://www.131500.com.au/service-change ... 6714789768
drpurpleturtle

Post by drpurpleturtle »

kypros1992 wrote:Sydney Ferries have AGAIN called a stop work meeting this afternoon
http://www.131500.com.au/service-change ... 6714789768
It didn't last very long though as the Australian Institute of Marine and Power Engineers Union & Fair Work Australia Ordered the Masters & Engineers back to work. The only services which were really affected were the 12:30pm,1:00pm and 1:30pm Manly Services & a few other Darling Harbour/Balmain East Services, with all other services delayed for at least 20-30mins. :P
gilberations

Post by gilberations »

does anybody ever notice that there is always either not enough water or too much water for the parramatta ferry?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Yes but both only for relatively short periods of time.

What is so strange about that?
Living in the Shire.
drpurpleturtle

Post by drpurpleturtle »

gilberations wrote:does anybody ever notice that there is always either not enough water or too much water for the parramatta ferry?
Usually there is never enough water to continue onto Parramatta due to low tides past Rydalmere Wharf which may be during different times of the day hence the reason for the replacement buses from Rydalmere. On some days where the tides are high enough (at least four times a month) then all services can continue onto Parramatta. If there has been heavy rain for a long period then sometimes Parramatta Weir may over-flow and with that create a strong current in which a RiverCat or HarbourCat can't compete against as there is a speed limit of 5-7 Knots after the Silverwater Road Bridge before Rydalmere Wharf which is the only reason for their being too much water on the upper parts of the Parramatta River. :P
gilberations

Post by gilberations »

make you think though, if they do demolish the weir and move the wharf closer to church st, would the tides be better or worse?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

At low tide it would make no diference. The problem is not just at the Parramatta end but it starts a fair way down from Parramatta. So making changes to the weir or the wharf would make very little difference.

I suspect dredging a channle would make more dofferences but that it not a goer from an environment point of view.

If the weir were to be demolished there is more chance that there would be too much water so more chance of cancellations in my opinion.
Living in the Shire.
kypros1992

Post by kypros1992 »

Great another disruption, Sydney Ferries is getting much more reliable these days
http://www.131500.com.au/service-change ... 6-december
Sydney Ferries services will be suspended this Friday 16 December while staff meet to discuss the franchising of the service.
All Sydney Ferries services, except those to Taronga Zoo, will be affected.
Services will start winding down from 9.30am to allow staff from various locations to travel to the meetings.
Services are all expected to be back to timetable by 2.30pm so the busy peak periods will not be affected.
Free shuttle buses will replace Sydney Ferries services between Manly and Circular Quay. Please follow signs or ask Sydney Ferries staff for directions to bus departure points. Private ferries will not be affected.
Passengers are advised to make alternative arrangements during this time, and will be able to use their tickets to catch CityRail trains and Sydney Buses services instead.
drpurpleturtle

Post by drpurpleturtle »

^The stop work meeting tomorrow is only for masters & engineers as other Sydney Ferries workers such as general purpose hands (deckhands) & ship repairers/dock workers at balmain have reached an agreement with their union the MUA & the government (receiving a one of bonus of up to 30+ weeks pay and there being no forced redundancies for at least two years after the private operator takes over). The Masters & Engineers Union still have to agree and ask its members to vote if they want to accept or decline the agreement accepted by the MUA.
drpurpleturtle

Post by drpurpleturtle »

This has nothing to do with the Sydney Ferries Privatisation, but for those who are interested, Manly Fast Ferries MV Ocean Rider (previously known as MV Sun Cat) has been repainted from a yellow livery into a livery which is very similar to the STA's Corporate 1 livery but instead of a red stripe on top of the blue it's yellow to suite the colours of Bass & Flinders Cruises. :)
Last edited by drpurpleturtle on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drpurpleturtle

Post by drpurpleturtle »

Looks like the final stages of the Sydney Ferries privatisation is nearly over, as the head of Sydney Ferries David Callahan is now incharge of a review into RailCorp. :shock:
Ferry boss relocated to head of rail review
Jacob Saulwick Transport
January 17, 2012
Read later

Pledge ... Gladys Berejiklian. Photo: Kate Geraghty
THE head of Sydney Ferries has been pushed aside by the state government, and instead placed in charge of a RailCorp review of its costs and operations.

Sydney Ferries told staff yesterday that David Callahan, who earned more than $365,000 last year as chief executive of the organisation, would be joining the rail operator this week.

Mr Callahan's departure marks the start of a major restructure for Sydney's ferry services this year, but also represents the tentative early stages of the O'Farrell government's attempt to reduce costs on Sydney's train system.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Transport for NSW offered no explanation for Mr Callahan's move yesterday, nor did it nominate who would replace him at the head of Sydney Ferries.

But within months, the government will have selected one of three consortiums bidding for the right to take over the running of ferry services from the state-owned Sydney Ferries.

The private operator will be in place by the end of the year. The government has also said it would roll out its new public transport ticketing system - dubbed the Opal card - onto ferries this year.

And the Transport Minister, Gladys Berejiklian, has already promised to allow two private operators to run new routes on Sydney Harbour, using government-maintained wharves. Some of these began yesterday, with the privately owned Manly Fast Ferry company starting direct peak-hour services between Manly and Darling Harbour and Milsons Point.

The chief executive of Manly Fast Ferry, Richard Ford, said the initial Manly to Darling Harbour services would use a smaller boat, about 15 metres long, that could carry 100 people.

He said he expected patronage to grow quickly, allowing the company to put on larger vessels and more frequent services.

''With the development along Darling Harbour, particularly the finance sector, we are very confident the numbers will be there,'' Mr Ford said.

However, the ferry spokesman for Action for Public Transport, Graeme Taylor, said he was concerned the boat being used for initial Darling Harbour to Manly services would be too small.

''I would prefer something in excess of 25 metres,'' Mr Taylor said, and cited a concern for passenger safety.

Mr Ford said there was no safety problem with the Manly to Darling Harbour boat, which was regularly used on whale-watching trips 20 kilometres off the coast.

RailCorp's review, being conducted with consultants from Booz & Company, began last month, with a briefing to the rail unions. The review is expected to take at least four months.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/ferry-boss-re ... z1jfcO0MdG
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

That both the Shortland & Hunter ferries were doing the Stockton Ferry run.

This morning one of the ferries was waiting for the other ferry to leave Queens Wharf, but wouldn't it have been more logical (as far as practical) to have both leave from each wharf (one from Queens, and the other from Stockton Wharf) at the same time?
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
drpurpleturtle

Post by drpurpleturtle »

I don't know much about Newcastle Buses or The Stockton Ferry, but a logical reason why one ferry was still at Queens Wharf while another ferry was waiting for it depart, is that the ferry docked at Queens Wharf may of been late and passengers may of still been boarding the ferry. If this was the case the ferry which was docked at Queens Wharf should of left 5-10mins earlier and the other ferry didn't have to wait.

This is a common sight at Circular Quay as arriving ferries may have to wait for a 5+mins for a certain wharf to be vacant for that vessel. I've experienced this a few times e.g. during the off-peak (mon-fri) most Circular Quay Services from Mosman which depart at 20 past become the 45 past Darling Harbour/Balmain East Service so these vessels have to dock at wharf 5. I remember once that both the a & b sides of wharf 5 were occupied by vessels in which one was the 52 past River Service which had a few technical difficulties and still had passengers boarding it, once the RiverCat Departed my vessel finally docked at 55 past.

Due to the RiverCat having technical difficulties & it departing late my vessel was not only late in arriving at Circular Quay which was supposed to arrive at 40 past but it was also late in departing for Darling Harbour at 45 past. :(
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Yes, but it's very easy to see from the other ferry when the other is leaving, it's only about 700 metres across. But I think they may have ended up doing that on the next run. I wonder if that was the first time both Stockton ferries are used - at the same time for Australia Day, or just a usual Australia Day extra.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”