• Advertisement

Dry hires

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion

Re: Dry hires

Postby Stu » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:13 pm

Teresa was on the loose last year and went missing from her place of care, Police advised STA radio room to make a broadcast to drivers, if drivers saw her, just call radio room to advise of Teresa's last known location.
Stu

Postby captainch » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:50 pm

would most of the "new instant drovers' EVEN KNOW WHO SHE IS!
captainch

Favourite Vehicle: M/O3533/MO687

Postby Stu » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:01 am

^ Most probably not, the information is handed down verbally from the elders. William Harris is another one of those characters of ill repute that not many new drivers would know about, thankfully he cannot drive a bus.
Stu

Postby captainch » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:27 pm

STU as a t.l.o. I Had mr harris get me one night whilst I was in charge of buses at Olympic park..............was off work for a month including the 4 coppers involved joys of working on the buses! NOT! :mrgreen: ALSO HAD TRESA try & TAKE A COUPLE OF PRIVATE BUSES on stand by at the easter show! so she & mr harris were bannrd from Olympic park mt harris was placed into a hospital while the parra & Olympic games were on.!for the public & had many calls when I worked in radio room! :evil: :twisted: :shock: :lol:
captainch

Postby Swift » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:38 pm

captainch wrote:
Swift wrote:Imagine dry hiring a government bus? Just drop into any depot and take your pick. :lol:
well in the 70's a driver from nth syd depot took a old underfloor bus for a drive & it ran out of fuel just near taree he was dismissed don't know why a ryde underfloor bud was taken for a joy ride one night the police from Katoomba rang the depot to ask did they have number such & such bus the chargeman looked at the bus sheet said yed its on the back of road 29 about 3 hours latter the police called again could you pleade go & look and touch the bus so he did police said ok next morning a driver was allotted the bus when he walked around the drivers side it had been totalled..................the riders had hit 13 parked cars in a couple of narrow streets & brought bus back and parked it! :roll: :lol: :roll:

Wouldn't have been much joy maxing out at 50km/h on the Great Western Hwy.
Beautiful beguiling Renk Doromat. Bringing visceral joy to driveline connoisseurs. 8)
Swift

Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Postby stajourneyman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:26 am

I'm pretty sure the aforementioned shenanigans resulted in Ryde depot for many years parking a bus across the bottom of the top exit driveway to prevent ongoing occurences of this kind!
stajourneyman

Postby captainch » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:01 pm

it wasn't till about 1998 that they parked a bus across the yard! long before they had security guards, but they had a driver who did the all night shift in those days they would take a ok bus to leichhardt depot & bring a bus back that had to be fixed as leichhardt depot had NO workshops THIS WENT ON FROM 10.30PM 7 NIGHTS a week & a ok bus replaced it so buses were coming & going all night! long before we had the N & W depot was down the bottom yard. Also buses were used to move ppl to their new flat or house! Also a very well known ryde driver used a brand new gas merc just before the Olympics borrowed a trolly of the revenue room took the bus to top ryde shops because the bus had a wheel chair ramp at the front loaded a fridge from HARVEY NORMAN to save $75 dollars delivery fee, also the same driver took a new ansair Scania home to hunter valley due to no trains & had to do a shift next day if only the walls & the much older staff at ryde & other depots could tell tales the chargeman fred dodd wrote 2 books about ryde depot was worried he would get sued but lucky most of the villians at ryde are now in that big depot in the sky plus I had to sign my life away after 45 years I would not tell! :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll:
captainch

Postby Swift » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:28 pm

captainch wrote: ...also the same driver took a new ansair Scania home to hunter valley due to no trains & had to do a shift next day...

I hope the 80km/h speed limiter wasn't activated yet. Those things can sit on 120km/h and beyond without bouncing off the governor like a Mercedes at 75!
Beautiful beguiling Renk Doromat. Bringing visceral joy to driveline connoisseurs. 8)
Swift

Postby captainch » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:15 pm

yes it WAS a very fast trip............... Also the same driver in 1983 dressed his bus up fpr Christmas & wore a santa suit was suspenened for not wearing his badge being out of uniform lost a weeks wages! now they encourage it! RYDE depot was called the family depot & it was a pleasure to come to work!...............He also drove the last 2 man crew on George st with a atlanteen 24 may 81.also drove the first mk2 merc 1966 and it and 1967 were posed for pics for media & he smashed the 2 drivers side mirrors linning them up! & still has a metal bus seat with SYDNEY BUSES sitting out the front of the home in a far away town borrowed from the old ryde terminus!
captainch

Postby Swift » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:32 pm

captainch wrote:...He also drove the last 2 man crew on George st with a atlanteen 24 may 81.also drove the first mk2 merc 1966 and it and 1967 were posed for pics for media...

Goodness, my first ride in an 0305 was in 1981 for swimming lessons as an 8 year old year two student and they would have been Y mark IIs as Ryde depot was where Eastwood Public School would have chartered their government buses from! (maybe it was M but doubt it :? ).
That moving advertising billboard behind the driver's cab and the super smooth exotic sound of the Mercedes driveline were two massive impressions these buses gave me. It felt like Sydney had become rich having such impressively fine buses sporting the three pointed star.
I'll never forget the screaming hub axle as it roared down Shaftbury Rd hill on it's way to Victoria Rd to get to Ryde pool. Memories that will stay with me. Also remember the Leopards climbed the hill better than the Mercs on the way back!
Swift

Postby captainch » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:10 pm

SWIFT he prob took you to ryde pool by the way that steep st starting with S was a no no for buses! remember a little old lady asked what those moving signs were behind the driver told her adds latter looked someone in the workshops had put playboy pics in there instead! those mers when new had heaters cloth seats movable drivers seats conductors bells2 mirrors on drivers side & because the local member won the election for Neville wran ryde got the first new mk 2 mercs but they were going to waverly depot as they all had east desto rolls! :shock: 1966 should've gone to the bus museum but its sitting in a bus depot yard down at the snowey used for snow transport! the other differentant buses ryde had were the 2 renos & the 2 electric buses from new Zealand then all the northern & western buses plus ryde parra buses so at one stage we had renos/bedfords/a.e.cs /leylands/ mans/hinos/ mercs scanias/ Volvos a unusual fleet just before the year 2000!
captainch

Postby Swift » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:10 pm

captainch wrote:SWIFT he prob took you to ryde pool by the way that steep st starting with S was a no no for buses! remember a little old lady asked what those moving signs were behind the driver told her adds latter looked someone in the workshops had put playboy pics in there instead! those mers when new had heaters cloth seats movable drivers seats conductors bells2 mirrors on drivers side & because the local member won the election for Neville wran ryde got the first new mk 2 mercs but they were going to waverly depot as they all had east desto rolls! :shock: 1966 should've gone to the bus museum but its sitting in a bus depot yard down at the snowey used for snow transport! the other differentant buses ryde had were the 2 renos & the 2 electric buses from new Zealand then all the northern & western buses plus ryde parra buses so at one stage we had renos/bedfords/a.e.cs /leylands/ mans/hinos/ mercs scanias/ Volvos a unusual fleet just before the year 2000!

They went that way every time! I remember asking myself even then, whey they didn't use Rutledge St and Blaxland Rd and use the Deanes 89 route instead??
You say the AEC Regal IVs were gutless, well the 691 engines used in Parra Ryde's home body Reliances must have been an improvement because we were taken up Shaftebury Rd in one and the engine chugged within a hair's breadth of stalling near the crest of the hill, but JUST made it over by the skin of it's teeth and all the students clapped and cheered. The driver was one of the respected veteran drivers of Parra Ryde Bus Service. Great memories I'll carry with me forever.
Swift

Postby Ray » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:34 am

Ha! I went to Eastwood Public in the 80s and got the charter buses to Ryde pool. At first it was two buses from Ryde depot (the only time UTA buses were seen in Eastwood) but in later years they had 1 government bus and 1 North & Western, apparently because the private bus had more seats.

Once we had a Leopard and I remember the kids screaming as we went up the Shaftsbury Hill because they didn't think the "old bomb" would make it.

And once the bus arrived with a turd on the backseat - true story. Not sure whether a human or a guide dog did it. We were told to just ignore it, open the windows and not sit in that seat. It was a different era back then - these days you'd have a Royal Commission if something like that happened!

Another time, we hopped on the bus at Ryde pool and the driver pulled up outside an unfamiliar school - we'd got onto another school's charter!
W class trams belong on the rails
Ray

Postby stajourneyman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:21 pm

With regard to the kids screaming, .... are you sure you're not getting paragraphs 2 and 3 mixed up.. :lol:
stajourneyman

Postby stajourneyman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:42 pm

...not to mention the aptness of your avatar in this particular instance!
stajourneyman

Postby captainch » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:55 pm

you sure the TURD on the back seat on the N & W bus wasn't willian harris???????????????? :lol: :roll: :shock:.................its normal calling card!........................Had to have a operation ib SYDNEY FOR 3 DAYS at rept hospital concord on the way back to airport called into ryde depot there was NOT one person who knew me after 45 years there felt a complete stranger wish I never called in there now! :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: So back home I went!
captainch

Postby Ray » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:22 pm

was on the UTA bus, captain!

yeah sometimes I wonder that's why there isn't as much of a stink (excuse the pun) about privatisation....a lot of the old brigade have moved on, more casual drivers....just a guess.
W class trams belong on the rails
Ray

Postby Swift » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:38 pm

Ray wrote:Ha! I went to Eastwood Public in the 80s and got the charter buses to Ryde pool. At first it was two buses from Ryde depot (the only time UTA buses were seen in Eastwood) but in later years they had 1 government bus and 1 North & Western, apparently because the private bus had more seats.

Once we had a Leopard and I remember the kids screaming as we went up the Shaftsbury Hill because they didn't think the "old bomb" would make it.

And once the bus arrived with a turd on the backseat - true story. Not sure whether a human or a guide dog did it. We were told to just ignore it, open the windows and not sit in that seat. It was a different era back then - these days you'd have a Royal Commission if something like that happened!

Another time, we hopped on the bus at Ryde pool and the driver pulled up outside an unfamiliar school - we'd got onto another school's charter!

That poop incident rang a bell in the back of my head for some reason. I don't specifically "recall" it but something is telling me something like that happened on a charter bus during my time at EPS.
I can recall the odd sight of mark II Mercedes driving through the field across from the pool's entrance to turn around and come out again! When I did school runs inside Riverview Jnrs, I drove over the basketball courts to turn around a few times and forget what necessitated it!
Also, during the Olympics, when I did shuttles between West Ryde Station and Ryde pool in my time with the STA, I took 2454 up Ryedale Road hill with no passengers and it stalled half way up!! The reason it did this was the gearbox on the 0305s only kick down to 2nd gear instead of 1st and I forgot to manually override it. I put the park brake on, moved the column shift to N, restarted it and selected 1st on the quadrant and away she went and tackled the rest of the hill ok. Phew!! Ryedale is arguably steeper than Shaftsbury as you probably know! Wouldn't recommend doing it in a 2 speed MAN SL200!
Swift

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Sydney / NSW