T70 pointers in Bella Vista Drive
Time for a new signature!
Newcastle Flyer

Re: Outdated/incorrect signage/information

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:I believe their are still some 251 & 311/312/314
The 251 pointer is still there.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Stu

Post by Stu »

North Parade in Campsie where the 413 begins has a sticker on the J pole saying 413 - Queen Victoria Building. That's where the 413 & 412 used to terminate until they were extended to King Street Wharf some years ago.

Yesterday I noticed some incorrect signage on the 412 outbound along Livingstone Rd Marrickville. Section 6 is at the intersection or Marrickville Rd & Livingstone Rd Marrickville, yet I saw a new sticker saying "SECT 6" on the bus stop before you get to the intersection where 'the real' Section 6 is and still exists. The weird thing is that it's a new sticker, the same kind that have appeared since the Region 6 review. These new stickers are great, many J poles have the route number on them and the section point J poles have the section point in a neat small font size (Section 1) compared to the older version like this (01)
Last edited by Stu on Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Outdated/incorrect signage/information

Post by Ken »

The inbound stop at Mascot shops directly in front of the post office, for which the postcode is 2020 not 2018. The correct stop number 202017 is shown in small print at the bottom of the timetable printout.
Stu

Post by Stu »

There is a bus stop on Railway Street Rockdale for the 473 (inbound to Campsie), it is not a J stand but just a yellow rectangle stuck onto a telegraph pole and above it is a route pointer for the former 471 route. This bus stop is located shortly before the bus makes a left turn into Villiers St.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Ken wrote: The inbound stop at Mascot shops directly in front of the post office, for which the postcode is 2020 not 2018. The correct stop number 202017 is shown in small print at the bottom of the timetable printout.
Similar to the error shown in Ken's photo are the MoT blade bus stops outside Top Ryde City on Lane Cove Road southbound. The post codes on the two blades are totally different and irrelevant to the location. Tried using 131500 mobile today and it showed they were invalid bus stops!
Stu

Post by Stu »

Heading East on Georges River Rd at the intersection of Burwood Rd Croydon is a route pointer for the former route 004b, Homebush to Canterbury Racecourse.

On Jeffrey St at Canterbury just before the 487 makes a left turn into John St, the telegraph pole has a route pointer that says 487-8. I may have seen another 487-8 route pointer somewhere else as well. Can someone please briefly explain a little more about the 488. I've checked the Sydney Public Transport Directory (1998) and I can't find it there, so maybe the 488 pre dates that point in time or maybe it existed post 1998 for a short period?
robert

Post by robert »

Stu wrote:Can someone please briefly explain a little more about the 488. I've checked the Sydney Public Transport Directory (1998) and I can't find it there, so maybe the 488 pre dates that point in time or maybe it existed post 1998 for a short period?
The 488 ran Canterbury-Campsie. A timetable dated 6/7/80 shows it runnning on school days only. From Canterbury (Broughton St) it ran R Canterbury, L Cooks, L High, L Fore, L Canterbury, R Wonga, R Wairoa, L Nowra, L Bellombi, R Moore, L Brighton, L Beamish, L South, R Duke, R Evaline to terminate near Harold St. From Campsie via Evaline, R Beamish, then reverse route to Wonga, then R Canterbury, L Cooks, L High, L Fore, R Canterbury, L Jeffrey (terminate).

A 1966 timetable shows more trips, but mostly peak hours and Saturday mornings (but strangely also a Friday-only trip late morning).

Travers does not specify a finish date. But for a short time from 11/9/88, it was reimcarnated to denote 487 trips which diverted via Cooks, High and Fore (about hourly during the day and Saturday mornings). Again no finish date for that form of the route either.

Edit: But the 1/10/89 timetable shows that the Cooks/High/Fore diversion had ceased and all trips were standard (in that area) 487.
Last edited by robert on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For information about private & Government bus routes in Sydney, look at http://www.sydneybusroutes.com
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

In my days at Canterbury High School in the fifties, route 488 operated between Campsie and Canterbury as stated by Robert.

And I also remember its reincarnation as route 487 diversions. But unfortunately I can not add anything to this as far when either of them finished.
Living in the Shire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Todays marks the 2nd anniversary of the m10 being cut back from MarketPlace to Leichh Town Hall. We are still waiting for a lot of the signage along the route and in the buses to be updated.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
swtt

Post by swtt »

boronia wrote:Todays marks the 2nd anniversary of the m10 being cut back from MarketPlace to Leichh Town Hall. We are still waiting for a lot of the signage along the route and in the buses to be updated.
...or any of the signage along Anzac Parade to reflect it going to Pioneer Park!
Stu

Post by Stu »

Thanks to both Robert and Fleet Lists for the info about the 488.
Stu

Post by Stu »

The J pole in Duntroon St, Hurlstone Park (near the station) still displays section 03, this is from the former route 409 and is now section 08 for the 418 outbound.

Around the corner from Duntroon St is Hampden St, there is a bus stop that states "Set Down Only". Again this is from the former route 409 when services would alternate between terminating at Hurlstone Park station or Keir Ave - Hurlstone Park. Keir Ave is now where the 406 terminates, I haven't been down to this location to see if any signage has changed, like the fact that it is now section 01 instead of section 02.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

As a bit of a thread bump/reincarnation, driving through Casula today I noticed there were two "Neville's" bus stop signs on the Hume Highway going north towards Liverpool.
Also in the city on Clarence St, the last bus stop before the bridge (the one where I think the Hillsbus services pick up in PM peak) has on the sign there the "curved lettering" Westbus logo.

--Phil.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
745-Castle Hill
Favourite Vehicle: CDC CB30

Post by 745-Castle Hill »

In Emerton, there is still a bus stop where the road is now closed (at the end of Copeland Rd). It served the old Rowes Buses that didn't go to Emerton Shops.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

There's a bus stop just north of Maroubra Beach, still showing 375. Where did 375 go anyway?
boronia

Post by boronia »

375 used to be West Bondi to Edgecliff via Bellevue Hill. Don't think it went near Maroubra.

Perhaps later it was the express vesrion of 376 or 377??
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Passengers at Central coming down the stairs from the upper concourse to the lower concourse are directed to use the inner walkway connecting platforms 16-23. However there are large NO ENTRY signs at the foot of the stairs to access the platforms.
@ The Museum of Fire.
robert

Post by robert »

boronia wrote:375 used to be West Bondi to Edgecliff via Bellevue Hill. Don't think it went near Maroubra.

Perhaps later it was the express vesrion of 376 or 377??
375 was at one time Martin Place-Bondi Bch, later West Bondi. Cut to Edgecliff when ESR opened, then ceased 17.2.89. Railway-Maroubra (peak hours) was renumbered from 371 on 19.11.95, and ceased 23.6.02 when replaced by 376.

Complicated, eh?
For information about private & Government bus routes in Sydney, look at http://www.sydneybusroutes.com
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

:| :?: confused
hornetfig

Post by hornetfig »

robert wrote:Cut to Edgecliff when ESR opened, then ceased 17.2.89.
Really? For 10 years it ran from "West Bondi" (Old South Head Road nr Curlewis Street) to Edgecliff? (otherwise known as nowhere to nowhere)

I have no recollection of it -- it must have been a really frequent service. Especially given how often 365/366 (Bondi Beach south terminus - Edgecliff) ran.
robert

Post by robert »

hornetfig wrote:
robert wrote:Cut to Edgecliff when ESR opened, then ceased 17.2.89.
Really? For 10 years it ran from "West Bondi" (Old South Head Road nr Curlewis Street) to Edgecliff? (otherwise known as nowhere to nowhere)

I have no recollection of it -- it must have been a really frequent service. Especially given how often 365/366 (Bondi Beach south terminus - Edgecliff) ran.
Well, I can remember travelling on it during the 1980s. It was not well patronised. Presumably that was why it got canned.

It was a weekday peak-hour-only timetable. The timetable of 22 November 1981, for example, shows:

AM from West Bondi: 6.57, 7.27, 7.47, 7.57, 8.07, 8.17, 8.37.
PM from Edgecliff: 4.20, 4.52, 5.16, 5.30, 5.45, 6.15.

There was no 366 in those days.
boronia

Post by boronia »

It served a few "remote" areas of "East" or "West" Bellevue Hill.

They probably didn't all have Land Cruisers to take the kids to school in those days. :P :P
@ The Museum of Fire.
paulbrown3

Post by paulbrown3 »

I done a trip on m61 to barclay rd m2 stop to get my last 740 trip to epping via bus ramp before closure and while waiting there Busways and hillsbus had 2 different Tsn's (transit stop number) for that stop I think.

Also I believe lane cove council envelopes are out of date as it has map on the back which maybe out of date
Stu

Post by Stu »

475 route pointer on Bay St near Moate Ave.

When the 422 & 418 (and former 425) used to turn right into Tempe depot, there was an additional sign mounted onto the J pole at the second last outbound stop on Princes Highway (opposite Union St) about 2 years ago that stated this is the last stop for the 422 and 425 services that terminated at Tempe. This is so the bus could safely merge across into lane 3 before turning right into the depot. The route No. 425 has recently been blanked out.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”